Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Konrad

Real Name Konrad   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Belly Flop
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Plop
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 29, 2002, 21:29
Total Comments 70 (Suspect)
User ID 14122

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy: Devastation
3. Re: Yay. Mar 25, 2003, 09:14 Belly Flop

I did not download the demo, nor am I particularly interrested in this title, but I just have to comment on the attitude of some people. I don't understand this aggressive and demanding stance. It sounds like a spoilt little brat who has never had to do anything for himself before. Grow up. The world owes you nothing. If you don't like, don't buy.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Free Freelancer Demo
27. Re: Demo Feb 25, 2003, 04:24 Belly Flop

I have to admit, the rotating space stations and gravitational pull of planet surface bases and the difficult manual docking in Elite was a lot of fun.
It required skill and added extra gameplay to that title. Eventually you could buy an auto docker, which made things easier, but then you REALLY appreciate your auto docker once you got it.

So I agree, forcing people to manually dock to start with would have been a major improvement to gameplay but it would have increased the learning curve for beginners to this genre, which I think is the opposite of what digitalanvil is trying to achieve (mouse control is another example of this).

But there are many talented mod creators out there, so I can only hope they can add such a feature later...

News Comments > Free Freelancer Demo
7. Re: Demo Feb 24, 2003, 20:22 Belly Flop

Well I never played Escape Velocity, but I remember the high stack of trading specs on my table in the 80's when Elite was out on the BBC Micro. Wow. I can see a similar pattern happening here with Freelancer. This time I have banged together an access database with queries an all, (how sad am I?) to try and figure out best trading routes. After 3 hours and a completed tool, I read on the web that commodity pricing is dynamic and changes are inspired by in-game events just like in real life. Oh well, there goes my dreams of making my virtual millions. I'll just have to figure out the most lucrative trade lanes like everyone else.

If you don't own this little preview and love space, fighting and an epic story, then do yourself a favor and grab it now while its hot. Even if you just want to point the nose of your light fighter in the direction of the sun and see how long you can go before you go up in flames.

News Comments > C&C Generals Patch
19. Re: Patch Already!? Feb 21, 2003, 13:24 Belly Flop

Yeah, same here. I really like it, but there are bound to be those who don't. I've only had a few problems.
One being a replay I saved unfolds totally differently than how the actual round was played. I won against the cpu, but in the replay, the cpu shows a scenario where it wins. Heh, guess I'll have to show it again to remind it who is boss.

The other problem I've had is installing the 1.03 patch.

1.02 patch worked fine, but 1.03 won't auto download.
It says file not found. ??? After downloading the standalone .exe file and running it I get an error that says old file is there, but has been modified so no update performed? huh? I will try uninstalling the game and trying again, but it means no online play for me for now.

Any1 else have same problem? BTW I have european version.
Oh well.

News Comments > C&C Generals Patch
11. Re: Patch Already!? Feb 21, 2003, 04:54 Belly Flop

Cicatrix, why do you think that?

Personally I love it. Warcraft 3 didn't keep my interrest very long, but Generals is the best C&C game in the series IMO. It has a wicked tongue in the cheek ambience (hillarious accents) and I love the realism. OK, mmmh Toxic Tractors... aside.(How effective could those possibly be in real life? Heh)

I think the interface is pretty good and it has well balanced sides and very unique units (hackers, angry mob).
The various upgrades allow for many strategies per side.
I hope and can imagine there will be some balancing patches in the future to level the playing fields between the various sides a bit.

Walls? Who needs em. I think the aim of gameplay was to prevent "turtles" from hiding behind base defences and therefore result in quicker games, which I prefer when online.

Just my thoughts. Now if only I can download the 1.3 patch, the servers seem to be a bit overloaded.

News Comments > Special Forces Pack
3. Re: No subject Feb 20, 2003, 19:23 Belly Flop

I managed to get Rainbow 6 to run on XP without any special
settings. The gfx is a bit dated, but it seems to work fine. I cannot speak for the other titles in this pack.

News Comments > DX2: Invisible War Preview
16. Re: hoping.. Feb 16, 2003, 09:09 Belly Flop

Yeah, Im all for story, any1 here old enough to remember Star Control 2 and its epic story and sound track, star control 3 was sooo disappointing in comparison.

Here's hoping they can equal DX1 in this sequel...

News Comments > Raven Shield Demo Update
9. Game patch Jan 7, 2003, 15:47 Belly Flop

Wether it is this patch or the newly installed directx 9 I cannot say, but for me there are some major improvements in frame rate. This demo now moves this game to a must get for me too. I agree the vietcong demo patch has stabilised that game too and my shopping list has just been updated with 2 must have games.

Phew, January/Feb is going to be expensive.

News Comments > Vietcong Multiplayer Demo
33. Re: Dedicated Servers Dec 15, 2002, 10:32 Belly Flop

Yeah the pings in my local area seem to be 80-100. It's do-able but I'm sure dedicated servers will improve this a lot.

As for gameplay/fun factor. I remember the first few screenshots for this game were an eyebrow raiser, but I didnt really follow the game's progress. Now after a few hours play this title is high on my must-have list. It reminds me of a great game a few years ago called Seal Team. Not many will remember that game Finally technology has advanced enough to do what that game could not accomplish.

I cannot wait to see the other maps and A.I.
It's going to be a sizzling start to 2003 with all these great titles being released.

26. Re: Feels odd Dec 14, 2002, 10:01 Belly Flop

Are you playing in 800x600? I experienced the same thing (/me cleans up the puddle of cornflakes next to the chair)

Switch to 1024x768, it improved things a lot for me.
Now only to find a stable server without team killers shooting me in the back.

News Comments > Splinter Cell Demo Planned
11. Re: Heh. Dec 13, 2002, 20:27 Belly Flop

Now if that is not a sound argument (#8 Azraelot) then I don't know what is.

All I can say is... Amen. Different strokes for different folks. As long as the games industry keeps on producing the goods, we are all winners. It's geared towards our entertainment. The different platforms copy/steal/borrow from each other and the end result is better, more enjoyable products for you and me.

This comment was edited on Dec 13, 20:32.

12. Re: really nice game... but: Dec 13, 2002, 18:53 Belly Flop

I like it, it's usually the little things that make me smile that I appreciate in games. For example the modem sound when connecting to a server, how retro is that. Well to most of us ADSL/Cable guys anyway...

Also the official web page has a tune that plays that makes me want to load up a Jimi Hendrix cd. Oops I think I just revealed my age

The environment made me feel like I was there, me, charlie,
VC, wading hip deep thru the river to the helicopter to kill some amelicans

The AK texture seemed a bit bright (no mud) as if it came straight from the factory, but the environment is done very well and the game feels 'snappy' when i turn. i would like more realistic sound on some weapons (AK) which sounded more like a desert eagle. Maybe I have been watching too many low budget nam movies?

Overall I like it so far. The spawn bug 'pyramid of players' I encountered once as well.

It seems to disconnect from the server a lot. Whether this is due to instability in the netcode/server code or simply the phenomenon of new players with low spec machines\connections trying the 'create server' option to quickly check this baby out, remains to be seen.

Overall I like it and I will give it at least a few days before I form an opinion. I haven't played long enough to determine the most important thing about this game... the fun factor. but for now AgentOrange slides a round in the chamber and heads down to the river delta...
This comment was edited on Dec 13, 19:01.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. chili season Dec 13, 2002, 12:43 Belly Flop

"It's getting on to chili season here in the Blue Tower"

I hope Blue makes better chili than this guy's aunt in "Aunt is shot, stabbed after nephew complains about chili."

News Comments > Counter-Strike: Condition Zero Preview
1. No subject Dec 13, 2002, 12:23 Belly Flop

So in essence what we DON'T know:

Why Ritual has taken over from Gearbox; internal politics is always so darn obscure. I'd love to know the *real* reason though

What we DO know:

-In CS1.6 patch will be available before CZ hits the stores.

-The patch will have new weapons and maps, but the hi-poly characters / textures will have to wait till April

-New items being added: a blowtorch, a camera, and radio-controlled bombs! Wow, sounds pretty good.

"we've added stuff like shooting from around corners, jumping around corners, shooting while diving or shooting while jumping through a window."

I dont know about you, but that sounds like PR bullsh*&t to me, we shall see. If true, weeeeheeeee.

And if 1.6 finally does arrive, it will be worth it, even just to witness the noob revolution that day 1 brings. (because hax dont worx suddenly)

It is a download I am really looking forward to...

News Comments > BF1942 Linux Server
1. Stability (Sanity?) has returned Dec 10, 2002, 15:10 Belly Flop

Finally a reliable server to play a great game. Thank you.

News Comments > Tech Bits
10. Re: Don't the new Nvidia drivers do this? Dec 9, 2002, 18:11 Belly Flop

Here is a cool web site that I have found very useful in the past. It answers your question nicely Nostromo.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/monitor6.htm

News Comments > Game Development & Mods
5. Re: Shortcomings? Dec 9, 2002, 12:28 Belly Flop

I agree totally. I loved the original Fallout. There was nothing at the time in that genre as deep and immersive to me like this little gem. I tried Tactics (demo?) for about a day and didn't bother buying it. I cannot think of any sequel, movie or game, that was better in concept, than its original.

We can only hope that instead of churning out more of the same stuff that has been flooding in lately, there'd be more focus on games that explore new refreshing environments and ideas. It can be done. Like this IRC log suggests (traces of the matrix here). If only game designers can 'unlearn' everything they know so that they can create totally new stuff. I will pay big $$$ for that same rush I had when I sent my first burst of shotgun ammo in DOOM or marvelled at the detail in Fallout.

But as they say "money makes the world go round", but we want it to spin the other way...

News Comments > Tech Bits
7. Re: Don't the new Nvidia drivers do this? Dec 9, 2002, 11:02 Belly Flop

In response to #3.
Sorry. My bad for using to many acronyms...

AFAIK=As Far As I Know.

As for more info on the refresh lock go here:
http://xp-refresh.net

or just point your browser to www.deja.com (google newsgroups) and do a search.

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 12:45.

2. Wow Dec 9, 2002, 10:55 Belly Flop

Wow, interresting chat log. Being a programmer I think I'll make some quotes from here the next time my boss asks me to deliver a project within a specific timeframe. Maybe stating that intangibles (creative, design, art, programming) should not be measured by ways meant for tangibles (house, 500 bricks, 2 days). Just some random thoughts. Now where did I put my copy of Fallout...

PS: Sorry for dbl post. I blame my double tap quake finger completely.

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 10:57.

1. No subject Dec 9, 2002, 10:55 Belly Flop

Wow, interresting chat log. Being a programmer I think I'll make some quotes from here the next time my boss asks me to deliver a project within a specific timeframe. Maybe stating that intangibles (creative, design, art, programming) should not be measured by ways meant for tangibles (house, 500 bricks, 2 days). Just some random thoughts. Now where did I put my copy of Fallout...

70 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo