Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Konrad

Real Name Konrad   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Belly Flop
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Plop
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 29, 2002, 21:29
Total Comments 70 (Suspect)
User ID 14122

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

News Comments > NVIDIA & Half-Life 2
116. Very confused Sep 12, 2003, 06:00 Belly Flop

Just like many of you here I am also deciding what will be the next GPU to replace my old Nvidia GF3 (non-ti) come October. I am not brand loyal at all. All I want is the best bang for my buck.

I am very confused and when I'm confused I normally go for my gut feeling. At the moment it is to go with ATI. Here's why.

Lately there has been too many negatives against NVIDIA. (Vacuum cleaner noise (ok it was fixed), 3d mark fiasco, full AA bugs and now this slap from Valve. The 3dfx paradox becomes evident) huge price difference and card size (2 slots!) also plays a minor role, but are black marks against Nvidia on both counts in my books.

I think in the end there will be minor differences in perfomance and visual quality between the 2 cards. We will know in October. Right now it's mostly speculation.

If I was a gambling man, my money would be on ATI. This is my honest opinion. However, only time will tell.

I don't have to play HL2 on day 1 using the latest tech.
That would be making a rushed decision influenced by hype.

The best would be to wait for reviews where both cards have been tested with a range of games (not just HL2) that make use of final released drivers.

In Africa we say "speak softly and carry a big stick".
Action speaks louder than words. So far all we've heard are words.

This comment was edited on Sep 12, 06:07.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Half-Life 2 & DirectX 9
15. Foreplay Sep 10, 2003, 16:57 Belly Flop

Lift duvet, hop into bed... a one night stand is not always bad. Valve, Microsoft ... oh my what beautiful children.

haha raja, great minds think alike. Just read your post.
... and fools never differ... oh my.

This comment was edited on Sep 10, 16:59.

News Comments > New H-L/C-S/TFC Today
8. Re: But what about NS and TS? Sep 10, 2003, 16:46 Belly Flop

All I want is a more efficient way of preventing cheats.
I am hopeful that Steam will be the answer. My cynical self tells me it will only be a matter of time before things return to their status quo. I.e cheaters everywhere. This is really the only thing that has made me look forward to the full implementation of steam. A more current way of preventing cheats. To me this is the D-day for the anti-cheat. Make or break.

I am competetive, whether it is on the tennis court or whether it is playing a game of cs. Please Please please,
kill all the 10 year old cheating amobie that currently infest all that is good and pure.

BTW all flames will be ignored as this post was made while under the influence of liquid substances.

News Comments > Operation Flashpoint 2 Delayed
7. Re: wtf Sep 9, 2003, 06:27 Belly Flop

The 'ol hype engine can never be started too early...

Personally I enjoyed OPF: Cold War, so this one will be on my radar next year.

News Comments > No DOOM 3 This Year
40. Re: Doom3 Jul 22, 2003, 20:51 Belly Flop

JC creator of worlds. (We are talking Jesus Christ here? ... Right?)

28. Re: Well that's disappointing Jul 22, 2003, 20:04 Belly Flop

Shane ;), I agree. In my books (ducks from behind flame shield) the iD FPS games (Wolf/Doom/Quake) were never strong in plot and may not have caused much evolution in the genre gamplay wise. But then they were the inventors of the FPS and arguably make the best engines, so all credit to them.

With doom 3 it does seem they are trying to add a lot more than just pumping out a new engine with some maps (horror survival), so my hat goes off to them in that regard.

Edit: Damn I see Grey just beat me to my own thought...

This comment was edited on Jul 22, 20:06.

21. Re: Well that's disappointing Jul 22, 2003, 19:50 Belly Flop

I happen to think Q3 arena was very stable and polished when it was released. I rate iD up there with Blizzard when it comes to product quality on release day compared to games like New World Order and Devastation. But I guess that is a matter of opinion.

The fact that companies delay a release by a month or two to hit that Xmas sweet spot makes perfect financial sense and has nothing to do with pressure from the publishers.
In fact I guess they (publishers) might even agree to a delay of this nature.

So by delaying Doom 3 till next year makes iD miss that xmas period. This tells me they would rather get it right than get it out before it is done.

This comment was edited on Jul 22, 19:55.

12. Well that's disappointing Jul 22, 2003, 19:29 Belly Flop

Well that's disappointing. I guess they have nothing to gain by post-poning and we get a more stable and feature rich product. For once it is also good to see that the big
publisher cannot muscle in and pressurise the developer in releasing an incomplete product before it is done.

I am expecting a well polished product and I think that is what we'll get... maybe a bit later than expected.

I'm sure there will be other games to fill the vacuum while we wait. (Does this mean I don't have to upgrade to that P4-3ghz-geforcefx5900 before xmas? Oh hang on HL2 is still on schedule... we hope

This comment was edited on Jul 22, 19:33.

News Comments > More on Galaxies
36. Lose Lose situation Jun 28, 2003, 19:24 Belly Flop

Yeah, a lot of people have been shouting for months
that the devs should hurry up and release the game already. They can't wait. And a lot of those same people are now shouting that it was released to soon.

I am glad I am not a MMORPG developer in these hypocritical times. Most of us have been around long enough
to know to avoid the first few months of disappointment.

personally I will get it. Just not at this point in time.
Those who have it, have fun. And to those who don't plan to get it, I hope you find that special game you are looking for.

This comment was edited on Jun 28, 19:26.

News Comments > Star Wars Galaxies Launches
45. Re: Launch? Jun 26, 2003, 16:45 Belly Flop

The launch seems to have gotten off to a rocky start. There are many complaints on the SWG forums about people not being able to subscribe. The devs say the login / registration servers are being hit very hard at the moment.

So it seems to be the usual MMORPG launch day problems.

News Comments > Star Wars Galaxies Launches
35. Re: No subject Jun 26, 2003, 15:40 Belly Flop

Hahaha, thanks guys (ZigZang, calamity and SamPenguin), I know you are tearing each other to shreds, but I haven't laughed this hard while reading these forums in a long time. ROFL.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Personally... Jun 26, 2003, 10:45 Belly Flop

When do the originals (ep 4-6) appear on DVD? Does any1 have a link that explains why they are not out yet and when they can be expected?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Star Wars Jun 26, 2003, 10:41 Belly Flop

and on a related topic... Star Wars Galaxies apparently goes live today. So we can all experience running around with light sabers ourselves...

This comment was edited on Jun 26, 10:42.

News Comments > Diablo II Log
4. Re: Ugh Jun 20, 2003, 06:20 Belly Flop

Not when I logged in last night. There were 15000 people still playing, so it is obviously a popular game even after 3 years.

The fact that Blizzard recently took an aggressive stance against cheating (by deleting 117000 maphack accounts) made me dust off my old CD's again. This time I'm playing hardcore.

I for one am looking forward to this 1.10 patch after losing 2 characters to waypoint player killers.

Understandably the new W3:Frozen Throne add-on has priority and has taken most of their attention as it will bring in new revenue for the company.

So the Diablo 2 patch 1.10 will only improve Blizzards rating in my book.

News Comments > System Shock Rebirth
9. Re: Wow Jun 4, 2003, 18:13 Belly Flop

Yeah my first encounter with a ghost sent shivers down my spine. I only finished this game a few months ago, but man does the atmosphere and story show some of these latest titles how it should be done. Here's hoping that System Shock 3 will see the light of day one day...

News Comments > Breed SP Demo
1. Finally! May 23, 2003, 11:00 Belly Flop

I've been waiting a long time for this one. Downloading now...

News Comments > Tech Bits
3. Re: Cheaters May 16, 2003, 11:51 Belly Flop

Mmmmmh, this is vital in deciding what graphics card to buy before DOOM3 /Half life 2 is released. If it comes to light that there indeed was cheating, I might switch away from NVIDIA in my future choice of a graphics card.

News Comments > Raven Shield Patch
1. ASE May 13, 2003, 18:27 Belly Flop

Great work on the patch! Now we want All Seeing Eye support. Thanks

This comment was edited on May 13, 18:29.

News Comments > Raven Shield Expansion?
3. Re: Expansion? How about a patch. Mar 29, 2003, 11:20 Belly Flop

This was also announced on amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008Z0IB/ghostreconpla-20/002-8005694-5846404

If you cannot wait for new maps until then, there are 2 new maps available called 'Close Quarters' and 'Combat Facility'. Check it out on www.pingwhore.com or www.theplatoon.com/ravenshield

'Close Quarters' was created by one of the Ravenshield development team members.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy: Devastation
5. Re: Yay. Mar 25, 2003, 10:20 Belly Flop

Just one more thing. We are all disappointed when games don't meet our expectations. We live in an age where we can change that via the internet and forums like these.

Blues News is a well known establishment in the games industry and developers actually read these forums. So if you're going to critisise to ensure improvement of the title you like, make sure it is constructive critisism and not destructive. Destructive critisism distracts them from focusing on improving their products. Remember game development is a science but it is also an artform. These people are proud about their work, so the least we can do is pay them some respect.

70 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo