Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Squirmer

Real Name Squirmer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 28, 2002, 23:14
Total Comments 638 (Apprentice)
User ID 14094

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Gold - Deus Ex: Invisible War
49. Re: No subject Nov 26, 2003, 04:27 Squirmer

"Some people liked to grab a machinegun, and run through the level blasting enemies Arnold style. Deus Ex let you do both, which is great. Invisible War does not."

That is complete nonsense. Deus Ex 1 did not let you run-and-gun because the combat was very awkward. Sure, DX2's combat is also awkward, and that's disappointing -- but don't make stuff up to prove your point. DX1 did not let you be the gun-toting maniac ... UNLESS you had upgraded lots of augs and weapons. And guess what? The DX:IW demo didn't show all the biomods and weapon mods that will be available in the full game. Don't judge the game on a demo that's incapable of showing that kind of gameplay (like I said, I know that's a cop out -- but it's also true).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Gold - Deus Ex: Invisible War
46. Re: No subject Nov 26, 2003, 04:19 Squirmer

I'll just remind everyone that the Deus Ex 1 demo did not show the gameplay that we all loved from the original game. That kind of story-driven, non-linear gameplay simply cannot be shown in a two map demo. I know it's a cop out, but we'll just have to wait for the full game to really see how it works. A ton of people hated the DX1 demo but then loved the full game. Let's hope it's the same this time.

News Comments > Morning Previews
7. Re: huh? Nov 26, 2003, 04:07 Squirmer

Or it could be that, just like with Deus Ex 1, the demo doesn't do the game justice.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Invisible War Demo Delay
84. Re: hay Nov 21, 2003, 05:10 Squirmer

In case you haven't heard, some guy at Gamespy reckons we should go to bed because we have 'plenty of time' before the demo comes out. Fileplanet has screwed us again.

69. Re: Here's the deal Nov 20, 2003, 21:52 Squirmer

I don't think there are any DX9 effects, actually.

52. Re: ugh... Nov 20, 2003, 19:50 Squirmer

one word:

Sell outs

If you really believe that, you know nothing about Ion Storm or the games they make. Get a clue.

News Comments > Deus Ex Movie/Interview
44. Re: FTP Video link? Nov 19, 2003, 06:55 Squirmer

as opposed to what, saying its going to be the best game ever?

No, but statements like 'Fuck you, Warren, you fucking sell out' are just plain idiotic. Surely you're able to express your concerns without descending into stupidity?

29. Re: FTP Video link? Nov 18, 2003, 19:50 Squirmer

By the way, it sounds like the demo is not exclusive, so we can all untwist our panties.

27. Re: FTP Video link? Nov 18, 2003, 19:32 Squirmer

wasrad, you seem to have convinced yourself that the game will suck, so why are you so desperate for a demo? Maybe you should STFU and stop bashing the game until you've actually played it at least.

This comment was edited on Nov 18, 19:34.

News Comments > Sunday Preview
13. Re: No subject Nov 17, 2003, 02:18 Squirmer

DX:IW doesn't, and I doubt KOTOR does either, due to its Xbox origins.

News Comments > DX: Invisible War Interviews
70. Re: Deus Ex Fanboy Arrives Nov 16, 2003, 20:41 Squirmer

So make the interface invisible and get on with your life.

Even when watching videos of this game, the interface is not intrusive. You can see everything that's happening very clearly; the HUD is never in the way. When watching those videos I have to consciously focus on the HUD to see it because it just fades out otherwise.

If you stop and think, you'll probably come to the same conclusion on that. You can watch the gameworld very easily.

Ion Storm have had people blind testing the game, they've had journalists playing the game, and apparently all of them were fine with the HUD. If they thought it was intrusive, don't you think Ion would have changed it? They have played it and they like it. You have not played and you don't like it. No offence, but I will trust the people who have played it more than those who haven't.

Personally, I think the HUD will add to the immersion. Looking at a static screenshot doesn't do it justice. When the HUD is in action, it transforms into the different interface screens. The HUD will rotate and bring up the inventory, or rotate and bring up your datavault. When seen in motion, it looks very cool and very fluid. All the information is part of the same interface, and that's why it's immersive: you are never taken out of the game. Unlike DX1's HUD, which brought up entirely separate screens for health, inventory, goals, images, whatever.

36. Re: No subject Nov 16, 2003, 06:56 Squirmer

All I can say is I'm glad Ion Storm are more critical of Deus Ex than most of you. And I'm glad they're more critical of their own games than almost all other game developers out there. How many times do you see sequels churned out again and again, and they're basically exactly the same game with some new models. Here, Ion Storm are trying to take some risks and take the Deus Ex experience to a new level ... and people complain. Most of DX:IW's detractors are afraid of change. The kneejerk reaction is that any change is damaging to Deus Ex. Many people seem to want the same game with better graphics. I don't. I want Ion Storm to take some chances and see what they can do.

Personally I'm happy about almost everything I've heard about the game, so I'm laughing. It's definately my most anticipated game and I doubt it will disappoint.

The upside of complaining about the game, I guess, is that you all might be pleasantly surprised. Just don't ruin the game by being afraid to admit you were wrong. I might be wrong, the pessimists might be wrong. We'll find out soon enough.

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 09:38.

20. Re: DX:IW Skills, my thoughts Nov 15, 2003, 20:29 Squirmer

I can't believe all this negativity. You're picking on the most minor details in the game and blowing them up into these huge issues.

Interface: I don't think it is intrusive. There's an opacity slider if you want to see through it. You can even make it invisible if you want.

Skills: Please think before you complain. The skill system has been folded into the biomod system. The functionality is still all there.

Inventory: I have no problem with a slot system. It saves having to spend minutes at a time reorganising your inventory to fit in a rocket launcher. Wouldn't you rather be playing the actual game? I know I would.

Length: The game might be shorter on one playthrough, but I'm not too sure. Some previews have said it's shorter, while some others have said it's longer (60 hours or so). You know what that means? It depends on how you play it! Explore all the areas, talk to everyone, and it'll take a lot of time. Run through the levels doing only the primary objectives, and it will be shorter. The Deus Ex experience lets you decide how long it will take. Some people finished DX1 in 20 hours; other took 40. DX:IW will take this even further.

Now stop complaining about everything and think about what this game will be. It will let you, the player, decide who you want to be. Who do you want to join and fight for? This faction, that faction, another faction, or no faction? You decide. How do you want to complete a particular mission? Weapons, stealth, hacking? You decide. Deus Ex is all about letting the players do what they want. That's why the first game is a classic, and that's why the sequel is going to rock just as hard.

News Comments > DX: Invisible War Demo Plans
26. Re: Requirements (Waah!) Nov 12, 2003, 19:46 Squirmer

Wouldnt it just suck if it turned out to be shit aimed at console-nobrainers?

Yes, that would suck. But I don't think that'll be the case either.

News Comments > Game Movies
48. pulled Nov 12, 2003, 18:44 Squirmer

The videos have been pulled: "Update: Files have been removed by request of Eidos."

Clearly it didn't represent the final version, so you might as well disregard these and wait for the demo.

27. Re: hate to say it Nov 12, 2003, 09:43 Squirmer

Im gonna be laughing my ass off when reviews come in saying that they finished DX:IW in 2 days.

What makes you think that? Based on any information I've seen on the length (and it's been conflicting info) the only way to finish the game in two days is if you literally do not sleep and play 24 hours a day.

Are you basing your post on solid info or just pulling it out of ... thin air?

26. Re: No subject Nov 12, 2003, 09:40 Squirmer

incredibly unimpressive show of a game. GOTY my ass.

I advise you to read the bits I quoted, then look at the Eidos video to see how far the game has come. Or you could just ignore everything and continue on your merry way.

21. Re: No subject Nov 12, 2003, 08:25 Squirmer

This is what a DX:IW designer said on the Ion Storm forums:

wow.

after reading the thread, i was expecting some fairly old stuff, but that build is OOOOOOOOLD.

i mean, it's gotta be from at least a month or two before gold.

1) the light meter is still there
2) the biomod light is purple (we changed that)
3) there is a vent that isnt locked any more
4) the emitter on the holocomm in the first room is the old, crappy emitter. it looks WAY better now.

i mean, that build is really old.

i just watched 1 and 4, so i probably havent addressed all of your concerns, but there's no way that's anything *near* the final build.

and:

and, by the way, "a month or two" might not sound like a long time, but it's an eternity on a game like this.

the game was slow, un-fun, and buggy as hell until the last few months.

games like this are so complex that they really come together in the last few months.

so dont think that the game will only be incrementally cooler than what was in the vid....the final game is AWESOME.

So don't worry about it. Look at the recent Eidos video and you can see how far the game has come in the last two months.

News Comments > Mafia Patches
13. Re: Well it's coming to the Xbox... Nov 11, 2003, 19:33 Squirmer

GTA is a good, fun, silly driving game, but it's a terrible shooter.

Mafia is one of the best shooters I've ever played, but doesn't really take advantage of the big open city.

So they really can't be compared because they do different things.

News Comments > Deus Ex 3 Plans
36. Re: One Step at a Time Nov 11, 2003, 03:24 Squirmer

Yeah, but realism for the sake of realism is very dangerous unless you're making Operation Flashpoint or something. The game must be fun, first and foremost, and running around for extended periods of time with nothing to do is not fun.

638 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo