Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Squirmer

Real Name Squirmer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 28, 2002, 23:14
Total Comments 638 (Apprentice)
User ID 14094

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Hitman: Contracts Gold
14. Re: No subject Apr 13, 2004, 21:18 Squirmer

Why is there no bitching about simultaneous PC and console releases yet?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy: Painkiller
41. Re: Lovin' every minute of it!!! Apr 12, 2004, 22:27 Squirmer

When games like Painkiller become bestsellers, can anyone really claim that PCs are for 'smart' gamers? All the stuff about dumbing down games for consoles means nothing.

News Comments > Game Movies
8. Re: Bizarre Apr 5, 2004, 09:43 Squirmer

They're working on the PC version of this thing, but why? Who thought it was a good idea to design a RPG for consoles and port it to the PC? A company that makes decisions like this can't last very long.

You mean like Bioware? Maybe you're right: all those awards KOTOR won don't mean squat when we righteous PC gamers tell 'em who's boss.

News Comments > Game Reviews
8. Re: Far Cry Mar 20, 2004, 23:50 Squirmer

I wasn't too impressed with the Far Cry demo. It's been overrated already, with claims of great AI and non-linearity. The AI I saw was pretty dumb and the game is far more linear than people keep saying. It's just another shooter from what I can see.

News Comments > Updated X - The Threat Demo
2. Re: X2 Demo Mar 5, 2004, 00:53 Squirmer

I don't know whether to download this demo or wait for the next patch for it ...

News Comments > PoP Sequel Soon?
1. Wonderful ... Mar 5, 2004, 00:52 Squirmer

Sounds like an addon pack released as a full game for full price. No doubt it'll be a best seller and Ubisoft won't feel the need to ever create something new. Way to go.

News Comments > Thief: Deadly Shadows Website
19. Re: No subject Feb 13, 2004, 05:50 Squirmer

It'd be better if Looking Glass was making the game. Oh, wait, Looking Glass is dead, and an ex-LG designer from Thief 1 and 2 is project director on Thief 3. Well ...

News Comments > Half-Life 2 in Summer at Soonest
171. No subject Feb 4, 2004, 01:04 Squirmer

Looking forward to Bloodlines more than HL2. HL2 should be a solid game, though, and will be a must-buy for the mods alone.

News Comments > Sabotain Lives
9. Re: No subject Jan 29, 2004, 10:02 Squirmer

Anachronox managed some pretty good facial animations in the cutscenes using the Quake 2 engine. Though Anox isn't a shooter, of course. That scene late in the game, with ... you-know-who on the ledge, looking back with sadness ... Oh, it was a wonderful game.

News Comments > Third-Person Thief III
86. Re: No Romero Jan 23, 2004, 03:17 Squirmer

The problem with IW was not the simultaneous Xbox development, but that not enough time was spent on PC optimisations. Even the problem of tiny levels was supposed to be fixed, to an extent. They were planning to join maps together on PC so there would be fewer transitions, but obviously ran out of time leading up to Christmas. Hopefully they take the time to tweak Thief 3 properly.

That said, how can Thief 3 really be 'consolised'? Have you played the first two Thief games recently? I'd swear they were designed for console! I'm playing Thief 1 again right now, and everything from the save slots to the inventory screams 'CONSOLE!' Funny how people didn't mind back then.

Thief's game systems are very simplistic, and I don't think Thief 3's console development will have much of an effect on the plan.

News Comments > Thief: Deadly Shadows?
27. Re: No subject Jan 14, 2004, 07:05 Squirmer

Thief already has pretty simplistic gameplay systems, so people who didn't like the 'dumbing down' of DX:IW (I don't agree with that opinion, but I won't argue here) shouldn't really be concerned about that. The small levels from DX:IW is the one similarity that could hurt Thief 3, but it would be very hard to simplify the gameplay any further.

3. Re: Good review of DX Jan 4, 2004, 03:27 Squirmer

That review was far too harsh, especially considering the inflated scores they've given other games. ToEE 91%? Freelancer 90%? Right.

DX:IW is a 4/5 game for me. It offers gameplay that's unlike most stuff out there, and having played it 3 times now, I can tell you the gameplay is very rewarding when you play it in different ways.

1. 1Up Dec 22, 2003, 00:28 Squirmer

Damn, that 1Up reviewer pisses me off. He always judges games on what he wants them to be, not on what they are. His reviews are very unreliable because of that.

News Comments > Mafia 2 Unveiled
24. Re: A true masterpiece but . . . Dec 16, 2003, 18:06 Squirmer

Anyone else shudder when they see the words xbox and ps2?

Not yet. The original is being made (or has been made already, I dunno) for consoles, but it was a PC game first. Hopefully they'll keep it that way for the sequel.

I'm not opposed to consoles like some people, but I think it's best to focus on one platform at a time (DX:IW suffered technically from simultaneous development, for one).

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Screenshots
54. No subject Dec 15, 2003, 20:10 Squirmer

HL2 fanboys: don't worry about the people bashing the game. They'll still all buy it if it's good, which it almost certainly will be. When you've been following development of a game, you don't like to see people speaking negatively about it, but don't worry. In the end, it really doesn't matter.

29. Re: DX: IW (long...winded that is) Dec 8, 2003, 20:36 Squirmer

Unified ammo is a good thing for player choice, which is what Deus Ex is all about. Now you can decide when to use a certain weapon. You don't have to rely on where the level designers have placed ammo; now you can use whatever weapon you want, when you want.

You won't be able to use a sniper rifle the whole way through because it takes a lot of ammo per shot. You'll still have to switch to smaller arms at times, just like you would with multiple ammo types. But now, all those pistol-carrying people you killed along the way will still help your playstyle. You don't have to wait until you find the right kind of ammo; now you can use your playstyle when you want. It's all about player expressions, not level designer expression.

26. Re: DX: IW (long...winded that is) Dec 8, 2003, 07:02 Squirmer

From all the impressions I've read, most people think DX:IW is really good, assuming you can get it play properly. There are a lot of problems with crashes and framerate, but if you get past that, the plot sucks you right in and the gameplay is really unique.

Then there are some people who still can't get over unified ammo and the removal of skills (both good things for the kind of game that DX:IW is), so they can't enjoy the game no matter what.

News Comments > Morning Preview
10. Re: UGH Dec 1, 2003, 20:25 Squirmer

The game has technical problems, but the same great gameplay is present in the demo. I'm looking forward to the full version.

News Comments > Dear Diaries
8. Re: magic moments Nov 29, 2003, 06:08 Squirmer

No, Camaro, that's not what I was referring to. I was talking about the many different ways I have found to complete the demo. I've played it dozens of times now, and it's a different experience each time. And this is just in one sixth of a level from the full version.

If you played Deus Ex because it let you lean around corners, bad luck. If you played Deus Ex because you love having multiple ammo types, bad luck.

That's not why I played it. This demo has shown me that, despite the flaws (and I do not consider unified ammo to be one), DX:IW will offer the same kind of open-ended, player-authored experience that the first one did.

If that's not what you want, fine. No one's forcing you.

News Comments > Dear Diaries
6. Re: magic moments Nov 29, 2003, 01:03 Squirmer

When I got past the lack of polish and realized that the great DX gameplay was still intact.

It's a pity so few people can see this. 'OMG unified ammo and no skills, the game blows!' What they haven't seen is that it's the same kind of gameplay, even if it does have problems.

It seems like most of the people who continually bash it played for about 15 minutes, noticed that it wasn't exactly the same game, and uninstalled it. It's a pity,. I'm a huge DX1 fan and I really like the demo. It's definately a Deus Ex game.

638 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo