Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Squirmer

Real Name Squirmer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 28, 2002, 23:14
Total Comments 681 (Apprentice)
User ID 14094

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R. in 2006?
42. Re: No subject May 6, 2005, 20:03 Squirmer

No. Around 98000 copies (which was barely enough for Ion to break even on).
98000 copies!!!!! Of the best fucking game EVER MADE!!!

I've never heard those figures before ... but certainly for a game that won 35 GOTY awards (!) it did not sell well.

And now Looking Glass and Ion Storm are gone (admittedly Ion made mistakes with DX2, but imagine if they had a chance to learn from those). Irrational Games is maybe our best hope right now. Bioshock needs to sell. Like Ken Levine said when announcing it, emergence is the future.

But developers don't make those kind of games because, as well as not selling, they are difficult to make. It's hard for developers to make a game that caters for player freedom and experimentation, and also have strong narratives, like SS, DX and Thief do (this is why DX2 was an interesting experiment, but let's not get into that now :)). Much easier to make a totally linear shooter where the developers tightly control every occurance. Easier for them, unsatisfying for us.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Pariah Patch
4. Re: No subject May 6, 2005, 19:24 Squirmer

a "problem where the game would not load when using Windows 98 or Windows ME."

That's a fairly major problem, I would say ...

News Comments > Project Snowblind Patch Status
8. Re: No subject May 5, 2005, 19:35 Squirmer

I think that's probably bollocks. The working name was apparently DX: Clan Wars, but it developed into Snowblind a while back. You're suggesting they completely ditched their existing story and setting (and therefore all the models, weapons, assets, whatever) and made completely new stuff in the one year after DX:IW was released? For all three release platforms? That would be impossible, not to mention bad business sense.

News Comments > Section 8 Declared
9. Re: There should be a rule.... May 5, 2005, 18:33 Squirmer

Still waiting for a good cross-platform shooter ...

News Comments > Project Snowblind Patch Status
6. Re: No subject May 5, 2005, 18:32 Squirmer

Snowblind was originally supposed to be a follow-up to DX:IW, I believe...

No, Snowblind was always intended as an action spinoff. Perhaps they were planning to set it in the DX universe, but that changed a while back. As far as gameplay goes, Snowblind was always intended to be different. That's the biggest misconception about this game. People have played it expecting Deus Ex 3, but Snowblind was never supposed to be that.

News Comments > Pariah Sequel Plans
34. Re: No subject May 4, 2005, 20:07 Squirmer

It's weird how a thread about a Pariah sequel spawns a HL2 vs Doom 3 debate. But whatever, HL2 was superb. Doom 3 wasn't. Even being as objective as possible (which of course is not possible).

News Comments > Vampire Bloodlines Patch
19. Re: One thing May 4, 2005, 18:35 Squirmer

Bloodlines was good in many ways. The atmosphere was great (though interrupted constantly with loads and stuttering unless you have a gig of RAM), and some of the quests in the hub areas are some of the best I've played. Without spoiling it, the quests that take place in the Hollywood hub where superb.

But the main storyline missions were atrocious and the gameplay was so fundamentally flawed that no patch could fix it. It's not just the implementation that Troika messed up, it's the core design.

Unless Troika realised their huge mistakes, I would not have been excited about their next projects. It's still sad to see them close down, but I've never been a fan.

News Comments > Site Seeing - Gothic 3
18. Re: No subject May 3, 2005, 09:09 Squirmer

I've always wanted to play these games, but they had an extremely limited release in Australia. It seemed like they were available for a week and then disappeared for eternity.

News Comments > Rome: Total War - Barbarian Invasion
10. Re: why expansion? Apr 30, 2005, 07:28 Squirmer

I thought they did a good job making Rome less fidgety than Medieval. I never finished the only campaign I started in Medieval because of the need to stack your captured cities with agents. It was far too much hassle to keep everything running.

But Rome is much better in that regard. You have to deal with squalor, but if you turn on the automanage systems you can concentrate on moving your armies and fighting enemies.

News Comments > X3: The Reunion Details
20. Re: No subject Apr 29, 2005, 03:18 Squirmer

I bought X2 recently, and while it is very frustrating at times because of its control system and snail's pace, I can't stop playing. Last weekend I did nothing but play X2, and even though I've already spent a long time on it, I've only built two factories so far. It seems like I'm not getting anywhere. But ... it's addictive as hell. I don't really understand it, but I'm not complaining.

As for this X3 announcement, it sounds like it'll be X2 but with more ships and better graphics. I'd prefer a more thorough shake-up to address some pressing issues, but I'm sure I'll buy it in any case.

News Comments > Lord of the Rings Online
3. No subject Apr 28, 2005, 19:03 Squirmer

Middle Earth Online sounds better, especially since (as far as I know) the game does not follow the story of LOTR. Gotta maximise customer numbers though.

News Comments > Auto Assault Beta Begins
3. Re: Lord British? Apr 27, 2005, 21:27 Squirmer

He's doing Tabula Rasa, which as far as I know contains no cars.

News Comments > Game Movies
4. Re: . Apr 22, 2005, 03:49 Squirmer

I wonder if it's possible for a game to reach the peak of its hype, after which every new piece of media does more harm than good by pissing people off. If so, Stalker reached that point a while back.

News Comments > More on Remedy's Next Game
9. Re: Not giving much away Apr 21, 2005, 19:18 Squirmer

The problem with console ports is not the amount of power a console has, but the different control schemes, meaning a game feels different if designed for console. When you look at games, particularly action games, designed for multiple platforms, it's very rare to see the different versions received with the same praise. I care more about playability than low res textures.

News Comments > Age of Conan Announced
18. Re: No subject Apr 21, 2005, 03:56 Squirmer

Severance was excellent. But I've been waiting for a hack and slash that has Die By The Sword's level of control. And which is actually good.

News Comments > Video Game Actors to Strike?
13. Re: Well.... Apr 15, 2005, 07:31 Squirmer

Mafia and Anachronox, for two, would be hollow shells without the great acting. I dunno where they found those actors, but they need to be employed more often.

News Comments > Pariah Multiplayer Demo Friday
1. No subject Apr 13, 2005, 22:16 Squirmer

It will be interesting to see if they can make a GOOD shooter for multiple platforms. Most developers seem to fail miserably.

News Comments > Project: Snowblind Demo
9. Re: No subject Apr 12, 2005, 10:58 Squirmer

Eidos didn't make Deus Ex, they just got all the money for it.

And funded the people who did make it, of course. Not to mention funding the Thief games too. They've done some good ones along with the bad. Goes for every publisher.

News Comments > X3: Reunion Info, Q&A
11. Re: Even if it is a Apr 11, 2005, 23:22 Squirmer

I agree with Cabezone. Given the overly complicated controls in X2, console development could really help the next game be easier to get into.

News Comments > Ubisoft Canada Expands
3. Re: Wow Apr 11, 2005, 23:19 Squirmer

They're probably making more than one game at a time. I think Crystal Dynamics has a similar number of employees and are a three-game studio, for example.

681 Comments. 35 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo