Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Squirmer

Real Name Squirmer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 28, 2002, 23:14
Total Comments 668 (Apprentice)
User ID 14094

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > More on Remedy's Next Game
9. Re: Not giving much away Apr 21, 2005, 19:18 Squirmer

The problem with console ports is not the amount of power a console has, but the different control schemes, meaning a game feels different if designed for console. When you look at games, particularly action games, designed for multiple platforms, it's very rare to see the different versions received with the same praise. I care more about playability than low res textures.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Age of Conan Announced
18. Re: No subject Apr 21, 2005, 03:56 Squirmer

Severance was excellent. But I've been waiting for a hack and slash that has Die By The Sword's level of control. And which is actually good.

News Comments > Video Game Actors to Strike?
13. Re: Well.... Apr 15, 2005, 07:31 Squirmer

Mafia and Anachronox, for two, would be hollow shells without the great acting. I dunno where they found those actors, but they need to be employed more often.

News Comments > Pariah Multiplayer Demo Friday
1. No subject Apr 13, 2005, 22:16 Squirmer

It will be interesting to see if they can make a GOOD shooter for multiple platforms. Most developers seem to fail miserably.

News Comments > Project: Snowblind Demo
9. Re: No subject Apr 12, 2005, 10:58 Squirmer

Eidos didn't make Deus Ex, they just got all the money for it.

And funded the people who did make it, of course. Not to mention funding the Thief games too. They've done some good ones along with the bad. Goes for every publisher.

News Comments > X3: Reunion Info, Q&A
11. Re: Even if it is a Apr 11, 2005, 23:22 Squirmer

I agree with Cabezone. Given the overly complicated controls in X2, console development could really help the next game be easier to get into.

News Comments > Ubisoft Canada Expands
3. Re: Wow Apr 11, 2005, 23:19 Squirmer

They're probably making more than one game at a time. I think Crystal Dynamics has a similar number of employees and are a three-game studio, for example.

News Comments > Guild Wars Movie, Final Beta Weekend
19. Re: No subject Apr 8, 2005, 21:39 Squirmer

2) There is an actual Next-Gen Diablo being made. It's called Hellgate : London.

Am I right in thinking Hellgate: London is a first-person RPG? It sounds interesting.

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Expansion Revealed
40. Re: No subject Apr 8, 2005, 19:29 Squirmer

HL2 is a railed shooter. You don't want to dilute that shooter experience by adding in a lot of superfluous explanation. Once you do, it becomes something else. There's a surprising amount of story there for people who want to take their time and see all the clues. No, it's not a particularly brilliant story; but it is great game storytelling because it's up to the player to investigate only if they choose.

For instance, why does no one explain anything to you, why does no one question your sudden appearance? I had the clear impression that people were hiding something from me (Gordon), that there were somewhat insidious undertones. I still think the Resistance hired Gordon from the Gman, and that's why they knew he was coming. I might be wrong -- but even if I am, it's a credit to Valve that there's room for my theory, along with others.

In short, I think the storytelling in HL2 is excellent. It's one of the tighest narrative experiences I've had in a game, regardless of any ambiguity.

Also, I think people who get frustrated by Gordon's silence are making a very minor issue into a big one. Is it something you care about when you're actually playing the game ... or only when you talk about the game afterwards?

News Comments > Invasion Invades
5. Re: No subject Apr 8, 2005, 01:54 Squirmer

I know it's natural to be cynical about these things, but it would be nice if people were more supportive. This sounds like the kind of game I'd like to play. Medieval setting without the typical fantasy rubbish, an RPG, an original IP ... sounds like they're taking a risk to me, and that's great. I'm already more interested in this than the next Splinter Cell game, for example.

Sure it might turn out to be terrible. But it might not. I take my hat off to anyone gutsy enough to make a game like this, whether it works or not.

The only issue is the title. Invasion sounds like a sci-fi game with aliens, not a medieval RPG.

News Comments > Ion Storm Closed
41. No subject Feb 10, 2005, 23:48 Squirmer

Ion Storm was one of the most creative companies around. Many people didn't like DX:IW, but it's a shame that they didn't recognise the ambition of it. This is a pretty sad thing, but hopefully the employees will get moved over to Crystal Dynamics.

News Comments > RattHunter Announced
46. Re: No subject Feb 4, 2005, 16:37 Squirmer

It's a rubbish statement that 'there is little place for innovation in today's action games market'. There is a ton of room for innovation. Maybe if they're being honest they could say, 'Our publisher won't fund anything risky, so our game will be nothing special.'

But to say there's no place for innovation, as though action gaming has reached its peaked and cannot be bettered, is disappointing at best and insulting at worst.

Do you really want remakes of games we've already played, or do you want game companies to at least try new things? Once we stop even trying ...

News Comments > AIAS Winners
18. Re: These awards are a joke. Feb 3, 2005, 06:27 Squirmer

yet the game doesn't even have first-person models for vehicle driving, i.e. no hands and arms on the wheel/handlebars

OH GOD NO! Did you think maybe the animation award was for the facial animations, which are far, far superior to anything we've seen yet, not to mention it's more than just eye candy, since facial animations allow us to see the real emotion in a character in a way games have never been able to do before, and this paves the way for much more emotionally involving games in the future?

Oh but fuck that, I can't see his hands on the fucking steering wheel. What a shit game.

This comment was edited on Feb 3, 06:29.

News Comments > Midway's Unreal Plans
15. Re: No subject Feb 2, 2005, 19:22 Squirmer

Just a heads-up that Harvey Smith is creative director of Midway Austin. I'm happy about that, personally, but I know some of the haters won't like it.

News Comments > Far Cry Patch
26. Re: No subject Jan 31, 2005, 18:17 Squirmer

I liked Far Cry, but come on. It has nothing on Half-Life 2. Even accounting for personal taste, I can't see how anyone could seriously argue that Far Cry is a better game.

I think people need to get out of this mindset that 'linear = bad'. Half-Life 2's linearity is a strength, not a weakness. The game is a rollercoaster ride that never stops, and that's exactly what an on-rails shooter should be.

But there are holes in the story. How does Barney find you immediately? That's pretty fishy right there.

Why is this a plothole? It just confirms my suspicion that people who complain about HL2's story weren't paying attention during the game. There is a lot of story there, but you have to make an effort to notice things. That's Valve's style. If you kept your brain ticking over during play, you might have realised why Barney knows where to find you.

And I like how people criticise HL2's story, and then claim that Far Cry is better. That's funny. Sure, Far Cry's story is intentionally shit, but it's still shit.

News Comments > Morning Q&As
10. No subject Jan 24, 2005, 19:11 Squirmer

An action movie in a FPS? Sigh. Shouldn't games try to be games, instead of some other medium? You want to make an action movie, go make an action movie.

6. Re: Im sure they will. Dec 31, 2004, 19:07 Squirmer

It's still a huge improvement over Medieval, which required to you stuff a dozen spies and diplomats inside your cities to keep them under control. Rome is a breeze compared to that nonsense.

What the really need to fix is problems with the grouping function. 'hebrew national' outlined some, and also sometimes archers won't fire, or will fire on the wrong targets. Sometimes units won't move at all when you add them to an existing group, and a few other problems. A great game, but they need to fix these problems.

News Comments > Quake IV Screenshots
41. Re: Quake 4!!! Dec 28, 2004, 06:07 Squirmer

Both those soldiers look dodgy, and the background behind them. I don't think they're casting any shadows, either.

Hrm.... photoshopped?

Definite cut and paste job. I saw these pics in an Australian games mag a few months back and it's really obvious on the printed page. Very dodgy.

This comment was edited on Dec 28, 06:15.

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Updates
11. Securom Dec 10, 2004, 20:49 Squirmer

This Securom stuff is ridiculous. So often you see developers remove it in patches soon after release, so what is the point of having it there in the first place? The only people you'll inconvenience are the very casual gamers who don't even bother looking for patches. And especially for a game like HL2 with all the extra piracy measures, using Securom as well is pointless. I guess I should be happy they've removed it now, though. Decent of them.

9. Re: No subject Dec 9, 2004, 18:44 Squirmer

Wait, if my hit or miss is based on skill, it is no longer an RPG, and becomes and action game like Zelda. in fact, this game is becoming more and more like Zelda with every release. We got jumping, dodging, parrying, etc.

Good. Morrowind and Oblivion, like it or not, are not traditional RPGs. If you put something in first person, it makes no sense to cling to unnecessary PnP systems. You need to invent new ways to do things, and I'm glad Bethesda are experimenting with what they believe -- and they may be right, in my opinion -- is the future of RPGs.

668 Comments. 34 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo