Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Squirmer

Real Name Squirmer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 28, 2002, 23:14
Total Comments 693 (Apprentice)
User ID 14094

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Operation Flashpoint Open Letter
18. Re: quick save Jun 22, 2005, 21:26 Squirmer

Just alt-tab between the save game folder and game, and rename your save file to something; then you can save again. I forget the name used for the save file, natch.

Easier way: just press Shift and the numpad minus key together, then type savegame.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Q&As
3. Re: No subject Jun 11, 2005, 21:00 Squirmer

" I think all that other stuff is tertiary and takes away. "

Absolutely. This is something that Rockstar should have known when making GTA: San Andreas. They tried to cram so much extra crap in there that it got in the way of the core fun of the GTA games.

If anyone wants to see the wisdom of Bethesda's focus, play San Andreas and compare it to the earlier games in the series. More is less.

News Comments > Vampire Bloodlines Patch
30. Re: No subject Jun 11, 2005, 20:52 Squirmer

Bloodlines was a good idea incompetently handled. Troika clearly had no idea how to make a first-person game, and it doesn't even redeem itself as an RPG.

I'm surprised by all the people saying Bloodlines is a great RPG. It must depend on what you consider an RPG to be. For me Bloodlines is fundamentally flawed because, while you have a number of skills to choose from, you can't actually choose how to play. Forget the combat-heavy last quarter; what about all the combat-heavy main story missions? Almost all of them involve killing a whole bunch of enemies and then facing a boss character at the end. It's a very archaic setup. And yeah, you could crawl through all the levels (incredibly boring), but the missions are not designed for that, judging from all the monsters that are scripted to bust through walls as soon as you get close, even if they can't actually see you. Bloodlines is a poor combat game, the stealth system sucks, and it also fails as an RPG.

Somehow I did enjoy parts of it though. Most of the side quests in particular are excellent. They're varied and entertaining, especially the stuff that happens in Hollywood (I won't spoil it). There's a real detective feel to some of those missions that I loved. It's a complete mess of a game, but at least it's well written.

News Comments > Boiling Point Euro Patch
8. Re: No subject Jun 11, 2005, 09:24 Squirmer

The size of the update is not proportional to the number of fixes, is it? It just indicates how the game files are set up, I would think.

News Comments > Morning Q&As
14. Re: Lucasarts... Jun 6, 2005, 19:33 Squirmer

Games are not movies, or books, or plays tho. They are interactive. I personally don`t want some terribly bad game writers attempt at a game story. I don`t wanna play a movie. I hated Monolith AvP 2 for example. they told you everything in the cutscenes, leaving nothing to player self discovery. And tho they worked hard on the story, IMHO it sucked. The game was nothing like the movies it was based upon. The movies were pretty minimalist storywise. Just 1 example.

IMHO games should be about player self discovery... with a very limited amount of the story told to them. This helps by allowing a more open ended experience for the player. If you have this long drawn out story, the ingame player experience ends up being scripted to heck so the player is led mouse to cheese along with the story.

Definately. This is what I love about games like System Shock, Thief and Deus Ex. They have a different emphasis on story (DX is more epic, the others more focused), but what they have in common is that the story is told through player exploration and discovery. That's how you make a compelling game that's fun to play but also has an involving story. And think of all the memorable characters to come from those games: JC Denton, Garrett, Shodan, plus all the minor characters.

Oh, and as for the last character I fell in love with: Alyx, only a few months ago.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
7. Re: Getaway Jun 5, 2005, 23:28 Squirmer

I think they look great, but what is that 'screen test' label? What's that supposed to mean? This is what the game might theoretically look like? Wow.

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: No subject Jun 4, 2005, 20:55 Squirmer

People tend to focus far too much on graphics in these articles. It's natural, I guess, since graphics are the most obvious improvements, and that's what the console makers always wow people with at launch time.

But come on, what about the actual games? The simple fact is that I prefer the types of games that are released on PC. I don't know if console developers don't want to make those kinds of games, or whether the hardware and peripherals are incapable of it ... But whatever, until consoles devs start making games like Deus Ex, System Shock, Thief, Op Flashpoint, Mafia, countless RTSes and RPGs, I'll be sticking to PC.

(Yeah, I know some of those games were ported to console -- but generally the console versions were coldly or lukewarmly received. And doesn't that say something?)

News Comments > Evening Q&As
1. No subject Jun 2, 2005, 23:07 Squirmer

"You know, it used to be id, and Epic, and a few others aimed at all those high-level games, but now because everybody's doing PS3 and Xbox 360, they're all gonna be doing high-level games. So when they do bring them to the PC, they're gonna be great."

Considering the vast majority of games ported to a different platform manage to suck badly, I'll believe 'they're gonna be great' when I see it. I guess they'll look pretty, though ...

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: I can't believe you posted this... Jun 2, 2005, 19:34 Squirmer

I have one problem with HL2: the game resets my computer during the final part of the game when you-know-who speaks, and I have to run it in DX7 mode to finish. But that's it.

And I'm playing on a Geforce 3, a four year old card! It runs beautifully. HL2 is as stable as computer games get.

News Comments > DNF Comments
3. Re: No subject May 27, 2005, 10:05 Squirmer

We could but we won't because ...

Just stop talking about it.

News Comments > Boiling Point Patch
33. Re: No subject May 27, 2005, 05:01 Squirmer

While it's a huge shame that the game was released unfinished, I'm more willing to praise an ambitious game that makes mistakes, than a completely unoriginal game that's highly polished.

It's just so frustrating that the games which could introduce people to new kinds of experiences, like Boiling Point, will never be played by the masses because it's so unpolished. Instead they stick with the same old dribble that the more hardcore crowd are so sick of. Frustrating.

News Comments > Empires At War Website, Delay
18. Re: true 3d May 23, 2005, 04:30 Squirmer

Sure, squirrel, but obviously it is irrelevant talking about the game being rendered in 3D since the age of 2D sprites is long gone.

Hence the shocked response to that claim, I assume.

News Comments > It Came From E3, Part 6
5. Re: No subject May 21, 2005, 21:31 Squirmer

I don't know ... For me this year was dominated by the big consoles: it was all impressive tech talk but very few games to talk about.

News Comments > etc.
2. Video game restrictions May 21, 2005, 20:43 Squirmer

"Video games are not art or media," she said. "They are simulations, not all that different from the simulations used by the U.S. military in preparation for war."

This woman has no idea, does she? She must be referring to sports games or something to make such an ignorant statement. Just goes to show, politicians don't have to know anything about the topic on which they form laws.

News Comments > Game Movies
6. Re: No subject May 21, 2005, 03:18 Squirmer

Spume, Oblivion's release date is Winter 2005, so the end of this year, not 2006 or 7. It might be delayed, but according to the developers, the game is in the 'final stages' of development right now.

News Comments > New Bohemia Interactive Game
18. Re: No subject May 20, 2005, 20:54 Squirmer

Amen StreetPreacher. I wish BIS would come out and say, 'Okay, this is the sequel to Op Flashpoint, that is something else, and this is how they're related.' Maybe they want to confuse everyone so they'll buy Armed Assault thinking it's OFP2, and then they'll start hyping the real OFP2 after that ...

News Comments > Site Seeing
13. Re: No subject May 19, 2005, 19:00 Squirmer

i doubt anyone can pull off games of this nature... Black and White was a TOTAL hype fest

i think this may be just another tale of wild ambitions and vague promises

Yeah, they might as well not try it at all then ...

It won't be the game to end all games. It may suck. But I'm glad they're trying. Better than Sims 3, isn't it?

News Comments > Armed Assault Announced (Updated)
5. Re: No subject May 19, 2005, 11:16 Squirmer

The change of publisher is only a rumour, as far as I know.

Given the awful name of this game, I wonder if it's a version of Op Flashpoint aimed at a more mainstream audience ...

News Comments > Just Cause Announced, Trailer
9. Re: Just Cause May 17, 2005, 19:24 Squirmer

The gameplay certainly sounds great, though the story is rubbish. I'm concerned about console development; I can't imagine Far Cry on console being the same game as it is on PC, for example.

After my experience with the Snow Blind fiasco, no more Eidos games for me! They gave me "just cause" to never buy another Eidos title.

Eidos publishes the games, it doesn't develop them. They also published Deus Ex and the Thief games. If you boycott a publisher's title because of one bad game they put out, you'll quickly run out of games to play.

News Comments > Ghost Recon 3 Announced
18. Re: haha! May 13, 2005, 20:01 Squirmer

Still, I dont think I could build a gaming machine for under $3000 that would make me happy.

Is this US dollars!? You're insane. Rich and insane.

693 Comments. 35 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo