Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Squirmer

Real Name Squirmer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 28, 2002, 23:14
Total Comments 681 (Apprentice)
User ID 14094

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > It Came From E3, Part 6
5. Re: No subject May 21, 2005, 21:31 Squirmer

I don't know ... For me this year was dominated by the big consoles: it was all impressive tech talk but very few games to talk about.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
2. Video game restrictions May 21, 2005, 20:43 Squirmer

"Video games are not art or media," she said. "They are simulations, not all that different from the simulations used by the U.S. military in preparation for war."

This woman has no idea, does she? She must be referring to sports games or something to make such an ignorant statement. Just goes to show, politicians don't have to know anything about the topic on which they form laws.

News Comments > Game Movies
6. Re: No subject May 21, 2005, 03:18 Squirmer

Spume, Oblivion's release date is Winter 2005, so the end of this year, not 2006 or 7. It might be delayed, but according to the developers, the game is in the 'final stages' of development right now.

News Comments > New Bohemia Interactive Game
18. Re: No subject May 20, 2005, 20:54 Squirmer

Amen StreetPreacher. I wish BIS would come out and say, 'Okay, this is the sequel to Op Flashpoint, that is something else, and this is how they're related.' Maybe they want to confuse everyone so they'll buy Armed Assault thinking it's OFP2, and then they'll start hyping the real OFP2 after that ...

News Comments > Site Seeing
13. Re: No subject May 19, 2005, 19:00 Squirmer

i doubt anyone can pull off games of this nature... Black and White was a TOTAL hype fest

i think this may be just another tale of wild ambitions and vague promises

Yeah, they might as well not try it at all then ...

It won't be the game to end all games. It may suck. But I'm glad they're trying. Better than Sims 3, isn't it?

News Comments > Armed Assault Announced (Updated)
5. Re: No subject May 19, 2005, 11:16 Squirmer

The change of publisher is only a rumour, as far as I know.

Given the awful name of this game, I wonder if it's a version of Op Flashpoint aimed at a more mainstream audience ...

News Comments > Just Cause Announced, Trailer
9. Re: Just Cause May 17, 2005, 19:24 Squirmer

The gameplay certainly sounds great, though the story is rubbish. I'm concerned about console development; I can't imagine Far Cry on console being the same game as it is on PC, for example.

After my experience with the Snow Blind fiasco, no more Eidos games for me! They gave me "just cause" to never buy another Eidos title.

Eidos publishes the games, it doesn't develop them. They also published Deus Ex and the Thief games. If you boycott a publisher's title because of one bad game they put out, you'll quickly run out of games to play.

News Comments > Ghost Recon 3 Announced
18. Re: haha! May 13, 2005, 20:01 Squirmer

Still, I dont think I could build a gaming machine for under $3000 that would make me happy.

Is this US dollars!? You're insane. Rich and insane.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: No subject May 13, 2005, 11:03 Squirmer

I hate to sound petty, but I couldn't be less interested at this point. When they start to talk about actual games, I'll listen.

News Comments > Call of Cthulhu: Destiny’s End Announced
3. Re: Umm... May 13, 2005, 11:02 Squirmer

Isn't Bethesda Softworks already doing a Call of Cthulhu game?

I think they're publishing CoC: Dark Corners of the Earth. Headfirst is the developer.

News Comments > More Unreal 3 Licensing
65. Re: Rumors May 11, 2005, 19:40 Squirmer

Arkane Studios licensed the Source engine for Arx Fatalis 2, and I think there was another licence announcement a few weeks ago. There are some studios using it, just not as many as most people expected.

Meanwhile, Unreal 3 looks to be the major engine of the next few years. Almost every other day it's announced that someone else has licenced it. It must be amazingly flexible.

News Comments > Morning Previews
6. Re: No subject May 10, 2005, 19:08 Squirmer

man, that guy in the "Boiling Point" picture looks exactly like the 'Habib Marwan' guy from 24

It probably is him. The player character in Boiling Point is played by Arnold Vosloo, a Hollywood actor who's been in a lot of things. I remember him best as Imhotep in The Mummy remake.

News Comments > U.S. Army Stays Unreal
8. Re: No subject May 10, 2005, 19:01 Squirmer

I feel sorry for the people that are trained in life and death battles using a video game.

Now you sound like the idiots who think games 'teach our kids how to kill!' The army doesn't use games to show soldiers how to point and fire a weapon. The games are used to practice strategy and tactics, where to move and when, how to move and cover, etc. Games don't teach them the technical details of killing a person.

On another topic, Epic must be making a bundle on all these licences.

25. Re: No subject May 10, 2005, 08:01 Squirmer

p.s. Halsy is correct. There is plenty of undisputed research demonstrating the desensitizion effect of media such as movies and television. Wanna bet that videogames have the same effect?

I think there's a difference between desensitisation and real cold-blooded murder. Personal experience is not scientific fact, but let me tell you something I've noticed: I can watch most things on TV and in games (except violence to animals, which I cringe from). I can happily watch people torn apart, I can even chop people up myself in games! But when I heard about those first beheadings in Iraq, I was sickened. It took me a couple of days just to accept the reality, and I'm sure I'm not alone. While I could chop the head off someone in a game, it made me sick in reality. It's the difference between a video game and real life, and the vast majority of people have no problem with that.

Did games contribute to Columbine and other crimes? Maybe. But you can't legislate for psychopaths. You can't censor films, games, whatever because they might help trigger the occasional freak.

If Rockstar tries to take advantage of this issue just to ship a few more copies, then it's hard to defend them. But I don't think they will. They won't mind the controversy, but their games are much more than the mindless violence their critics portray them as. And considering that in Bully you play the victim, I'll give Rockstar the benefit of the doubt that they will address this issue, not exploit it.

News Comments > Gold - Boiling Point
27. Re: No subject May 10, 2005, 07:47 Squirmer

I'm not sure about the RPG label. Can you actually play it in different ways? Just because you can go anywhere doesn't make it an RPG in my mind; it has to accomodate different playstyles. If Boiling Point does, that's great. I want more games to attempt RPGs that aren't tied to stats and skill points.

News Comments > More on UT2007
12. Re: May 10, 2005, 07:44 Squirmer

I'm more interested in the modding stuff, particularly the new scripting system that's supposed to make a designer's job much easier.

News Comments > Gold - Boiling Point
13. Re: No subject May 9, 2005, 19:44 Squirmer

- Weapons can misfire
- Weapons can be repaired and cleaned
- Weapons have a rate of wear (linked to misfires)

I hate to nitpick, but this qualifies as a stupid level of realism. If I pull the trigger, I want my gun to work, otherwise it's just frustrating. There's a reason why weapon degradation was taken out of System Shock 2 in a patch. Not even Operation Flashpoint has weapon misfires, because I assume the developers realised how frustrating it would be.

But apart from that, the game sounds great.

19. Re: sounds dumb May 9, 2005, 19:10 Squirmer

Wow, I didn't think the Christian brigade had invaded Blues. I guess they really are everywhere.

I think this concept is very interesting. Rockstar's one of the most innovative companies out there, and I hope they succeed with this. Check any other thread on Blues and you see people complain about a lack of creativity, and now people are complaining about a game that most companies wouldn't dare attempt -- not because it's controversial, but because it must be hard to make a compelling game from this setting.

Just because it's Rockstar doesn't mean you'll be driving burning vehicles through the schoolyard and unloading with an M-16. You have no idea what the gameplay will be like. I'm sure Rockstar wants that uncertainty to fuel speculation and hype, but how about we wait for more details before we stick Sam Houser on a burning cross?

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Star Wars: Rage of the Subscribers May 9, 2005, 09:55 Squirmer

All MMOs are beta tests, aren't they? We're beta testing the genre for the consoles. Once developers get good at them and once console internet play is stablised, devs will cross over in a heartbeat.

News Comments > Pariah Patch
11. Re: No subject May 6, 2005, 21:52 Squirmer

Hello! The 90s called, they want your bitching back. Or something. If you're playing games on a ME system you deserve everything you get. These people complain they shouldn't need 128K of memory. Then you realise they mean video memory. PC gaming exists only to weed out the weak and impure - check it out, I'm 100% correct.

Read what Parallax said. If the game lists 98 and ME on the box, it should work. For the record, I've been running XP for a while now and have no problem whatsoever with companies who don't support old OSes. Neither do I have any problem with companies who no longer support video cards lower than a Geforce 3. But the ones who do support old shit need to make their game work properly.

681 Comments. 35 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo