Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Squirmer

Real Name Squirmer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 28, 2002, 23:14
Total Comments 763 (Graduate)
User ID 14094

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Jack Thompson Under Fire
2. Re: Bye bye Jack Nov 8, 2005, 00:00 Squirmer

Funny, funny stuff.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On the Oblivion Delay
31. Re: No subject Nov 7, 2005, 06:37 Squirmer

BTW, anyone know if they'll be including the TES construction set with the game?

Most definately. And the huge amount of mods fans will create is probably the most compelling reason to get the PC version instead of the 360.

News Comments > On the Oblivion Delay
23. Re: No subject Nov 6, 2005, 23:44 Squirmer

I'm guessing one of two things will happen with Oblivion. Either it will be like Half-Life 2's delay, which did result in a highly polished game. Or it will be more like Invisible War's development problems, which resulted in a very messy game. From my outsider's perspective, there are a lot of parallels between Oblivion's and IW's development, incidently. Sorry to scare you.

News Comments > Evening Q&As
17. Re: No subject Nov 6, 2005, 01:06 Squirmer

They took an amazing game and dumbed it down into a generic PoS.

I have to wonder what game people were playing when they make statements like this. IW was nowhere near as good as the original, but that's because they took plenty of risks in the game design instead of making a rehash. They could have shipped IW with exactly the same gameplay as DX1 but with a new story, and I'm sure it would have been a great game. But they didn't, they took risks in pursuit of their design philosophy of player freedom.

And while it was hidden inside a messy package, IW was a remarkable game in many ways. Read some of the presentations Harvey Smith and co have given at games conferences and you get an idea of what they want to achieve. And believe it or not, they succeeded with IW in many aspects.

This is mainly only explainable in design terms like emergence (which is a hugely misunderstood term by gamers thanks to its carefree use by clueless journalists). But in more practical terms, come on, you could finish IW without even picking up a weapon. You could play in many different ways and get very creative if you used it as a sandbox.

Sure they made plenty of mistakes, but to say it's a 'generic PoS' suggests to me you didn't look past the surface. There's no reason you or any other gamer should -- if you simply didn't like it, fine -- but the fact remains that you're plain wrong to call it generic. People who call it 'just another shooter' chose to play it as a shooter. They didn't have to.

News Comments > Evening Q&As
7. Re: No subject Nov 5, 2005, 09:29 Squirmer

Get off your high horse Spector. Your games are filled with apocolyptic themes, far worse than regional thuggery.

Okay, that statement makes no sense at all.

Edit: Many people have misunderstood what Spector was talking about (lacking context probably). He's not saying there's no place for games like GTA -- clearing there's a massive market for them. He's using GTA as an obvious example of the games industry's obsession with violence, which turns away a huge chunk of potential gamers. He's saying the games industry, for its own sake, needs to mature and offer new experiences for new audiences. Pretty hard to argue with that, I think.
This comment was edited on Nov 5, 09:35.

News Comments > Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Delayed
18. Re: lol Nov 1, 2005, 00:17 Squirmer

Is this the second quarter of the year, or the second financial quarter? The fiscal quarters are all very confusing to me, but I think second fiscal quarter would be first quarter of 2006, wouldn't it? So it might not be that big a delay.

Edit: this is the sort of thing that really annoys me about this industry, actually. We have to find out about release dates by trawling through publishers' financial statements, not because they actually communicated with the fanbase at all.
This comment was edited on Nov 1, 00:20.

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R.'s Latest Slip
41. Re: ... Oct 30, 2005, 06:53 Squirmer

He said HL2 had effective storytelling, not that it had a deep and complex story. Two different things. Most games don't tell their story well. HL2 did.

29. Re: Keep in mind this is a UK game Oct 29, 2005, 21:50 Squirmer

I'm not sure if you're joking, but you realise 'UK' and 'Europe' are two different things, right? Stalker and Op Flashpoint are European games, not UK games.

27. Re: xBox 360? Oct 29, 2005, 20:41 Squirmer

There's nothing in this story to suggest Stalker will be an Xbox game. In fact to quote the story:

"... previously delayed PC title S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl ..."

News Comments > New Cold War Demo
4. Re: No more Deam Catcher Oct 26, 2005, 19:56 Squirmer

Sorry, but after the Dungeon Lords incident I vowed to ignore Dream Catcher games. No matter how good the finished (HA!) game may be.

I've never understood comments like this in relation to publishers. Why boycott every game a publisher releases? You might not like one of their products, but it hardly seems fair to the people who actually make the games.

News Comments > Sunday Q&As
17. Re: grrrrrr Oct 24, 2005, 09:55 Squirmer

Please do.

News Comments > Hitman Movie Writer Named
10. Re: No subject Oct 23, 2005, 00:06 Squirmer

Of course there's no guarantee that the movie character will be the same as the game character. It's only based on the game, after all, and writers and directors might go their own way.

News Comments > Land of the Dead: Road to Fiddler's Green Demo
8. Re: Sucks Oct 14, 2005, 19:32 Squirmer

The game's title makes me feel like a child molester for some reason.

News Comments > California Game Bill Signed
26. Re: bill Oct 7, 2005, 21:39 Squirmer

When the same system is applied to films and music I'll support this law. Until then, it's bullshit to target only games as though they're more harmful in some way.

News Comments > King Kong Demo Tomorrow
23. Re: No subject Oct 7, 2005, 09:50 Squirmer

I have no idea how this game will play, but I have some hope for it. Peter Jackson personally asked Michel Ancel to make the game because he really liked Beyond Good & Evil. It suggests the important people involved at least care about making a quality product.

And this game is bound to sell on the back of the movie. So if Ancel wants to finish the BG&E trilogy, maybe Ubisoft will be more open to the idea. 'From the creator of King Kong', with some compliments from Peter Jackson on the back of the box?

News Comments > The Movies Dated
11. Re: No subject Oct 6, 2005, 19:48 Squirmer

I have a feeling the concept is much better than the actual game, but I hope I'm wrong.

News Comments > Rag Doll Kung Fu Preloads
12. Re: Original.. Oct 6, 2005, 08:03 Squirmer

Considering how expensive a hobby computer gaming is, I'm really surprised by how tight some people are sometimes. Some even quibble about the $2 preorder saving.

News Comments > Psychonauts Patch
2. Re: No subject Oct 5, 2005, 00:02 Squirmer

I think it's still yet to be officially released outside of North America, so it's still got some selling to do.

News Comments > Peter Jackson & Halo Movie
28. Re: No subject Oct 4, 2005, 20:29 Squirmer

Shouldn't we be happy that the gaming medium is attracting such big names? I'm happy about it anyway.

News Comments > Into the Black
1. No subject Sep 29, 2005, 21:06 Squirmer

I think Firefly is extremely overrated. I guess you need to like Whedon's idea of humour, which I don't.

763 Comments. 39 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo