Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Squirmer

Real Name Squirmer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 28, 2002, 23:14
Total Comments 777 (Graduate)
User ID 14094

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc., etc.
23. Re: etc., etc. Oct 31, 2014, 02:49 Squirmer

I've had this Blues account for 12 years and have been reading the site longer than that. But if it's easier for you to believe I'm only here because of Gamergate and therefore I'm not a true Blues reader so anything I say is invalid (note the parallels if you can), you can do that.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: etc., etc. Oct 31, 2014, 01:26 Squirmer

I'm just pointing out how everybody else sees you. Is there anybody saying "hmm those gamers raise some good points"? Nope. Even the people on your side like the Breitbart guy and that MRA website have previously dismissed games as toys for boys. You have no real allies in this.

If you want to ignore how Gamergate is actually being perceived outside of your subreddits and your multiple-of-4-chans, that's up to you. But you're not gonna get anywhere.

14. removed Oct 30, 2014, 23:19 Squirmer

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Oct 31, 2014, 07:27.

13. Re: etc., etc. Oct 30, 2014, 23:15 Squirmer

Oh I thought it started because her ex boyfriend is a fucking sociopath who enabled and encouraged an extraordinary torrent of abuse directed at her.  

20. Re: etc., etc. Oct 29, 2014, 02:01 Squirmer

You can't claim victories on behalf of "Gamergate" (like getting companies to pull advertizing) but then disavow any responsibility for abuse done in the name of the movement. Gamergate has chosen a distributed model (or rather, has deliberately chosen to not form any organization or established leadership structures which would make them accountable for anything), so they have to own up to the practices that emerge from the model they've chosen, otherwise it means nothing.

If the abuse is coming from a bunch of dickheads on the internet, then the victories are also coming from a bunch of dickheads on the internet. So I guess that's all Gamergate is.

7. Re: etc., etc. Oct 28, 2014, 21:49 Squirmer

If you ask people to imagine a "gamer" in their minds, the vast majority of people will think of a young man or teenaged boy. That's the constructed identity people are talking about.* If you are a young man or teenaged boy it all looks totally fine and normal to you, and it's hard to imagine how in/exclusionary it might look to others.

You might think a "gamer" is anyone who plays games, but the thing is, "anyone who plays games" means, by default, people who are young and male. That's not the truth, it's the fictional identity that people have in their minds.

*This is precisely why the Gamergaters invented that young girl cartoon as their figurehead: because considering a "gamer" to be that is unusual.

2. Re: etc., etc. Oct 28, 2014, 21:13 Squirmer

Welcome to language, buster.  

News Comments > etc.
17. Re: etc. Oct 26, 2014, 18:24 Squirmer

Trouble with TB's blog post is that he seems to think the harassment is a result of gamers made angry by ethical breaches, and so addressing the ethics issue will stop the harassment.

That ignores the torrent of abuse Sarkeesian, for instance, has received for a long time. She received a bomb threat earlier this year, way before Gamergate started (and note that she didn't reveal it, which puts a lie to claims that she exploits controversy for free press).

This situation is way beyond some kind of justifiable outrage about ethics. It's absurd to claim that's all this is.

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
50. Re: Saturday Interviews Oct 26, 2014, 05:16 Squirmer

I think you mean she does analysis. I don't know what "legitimate sources" you think she needs.  

46. Re: Saturday Interviews Oct 26, 2014, 03:04 Squirmer

Flatline wrote on Oct 25, 2014, 22:44:
None of this shit is new. We've known about it and have talked about it for probably 20 years now. And they're real problems that need to be addressed and need to be fixed.
Uh. Okay. Which is what Sarkeesian did. Then she got called a lying bitch who should be killed.

That's the mysterious thing about Gamergaters. When in a calm state, the gamer admits there are problems. But when someone tries to address it the gamer loses his fucking mind.

23. Re: Saturday Interviews Oct 25, 2014, 18:26 Squirmer

Good line in that NYT article.

In particular, if the large companies that make video games remain quiet, they risk allowing GamerGate to win the debate over whether diversity — of people, of ideas, of games themselves — has a place in their culture.

That's why I'm surprised the big companies haven't said anything yet. They don't want to get involved and annoy many of their customers, sure. But I'm surprised they haven't all got together and released a joint statement, because women are being actively discouraged from joining the games industry as a result of all this abuse. These companies want women in their companies, they have a stated goal of creating a diverse workforce, but they ignore something like this that's having a real, negative impact on that goal.

16. Re: Saturday Interviews Oct 25, 2014, 18:01 Squirmer

Yiannopoulos says other people are "opportunists"? He says other people are "professional provocateurs"? He accuses these "provocateurs" of doing press tours -- during his own interview with the press.

His hypocrisy is stunning. And he's probably the sort of person who's well aware of how hypocritical he is, and enjoys stirring people up.

News Comments > Golden Joystick Winners
6. Re: Golden Joystick Winners Oct 24, 2014, 21:57 Squirmer

shinchan0s wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 20:32:
List of nominees for those interested (needed some digging): http://lzygmrs.com/general/golden-joystick-2014-awards-nominees-revealed/4865/

Pewdiepie sucks, but that list of nominees was full of total unknowns. If you're going to nominate people only known by gaming journalists, then restrict the voting to journalists.
Why would you want journalists to vote on them? These winners are far better than what you get from journalist-voted awards. Leave it to them and you end up with Gone Home and Bioshock Infinite voted best games of the year.

Audience awards are popularity contests, but they also tend to be better games.

38. Re: etc., etc. Oct 23, 2014, 23:02 Squirmer

Mad Max RW wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 22:58:
The mainstream media will NEVER talk about Gamergate truthfully because they need to push the false narrative about misogyny gone wild in America as a tool to guilt people into voting for Hillary in 2016. Think it sounds paranoid? Sure. Write it down, save this post, and come back in two years and try to tell me I was wrong.
wow

News Comments > Morning Interviews
35. Re: Morning Interviews Oct 23, 2014, 18:30 Squirmer

BobBob wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 14:15:
Agent.X7 wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 13:56:
Half the time I wonder if news sites make this shit up.

Anonymous "victim."
Anonymous "perps."
No official complaint to the authorities to back up the story.

News places used to be somewhat neutral, reporting on the events without spin. These days news places use any event to push their political agenda. I would not put it past them to make up stories to push their agendas.

It's all about revenue. Advertisers will pay more for whatever draws in the most potential customers. Social media has made this a prerequisite to gaining views and clicks through persistent posting of dramatic and highly opinionated articles. The news is now forced to compete by editorializing (for what used to be objective) articles with drama and bias in order to earn the same advertiser's money.

Except this particular article was by the ABC, a publicly-funded broadcaster with no advertising revenue. So.

Anyway it doesn't matter if the accusers are anonymous or not. Sarkeesian is not anonymous, but she's still accused of inventing everything bad that happens to her.

News Comments > etc.
19. Re: Adobe Oct 22, 2014, 20:07 Squirmer

ASeven wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 12:28:
Also, the Grayson-Quinn relationship smoking gun appears to have finally have been found.
Bit of a stretch to say someone in the special thanks section is "an intimate". That would come as a surprise to everyone who's ever had a special thanks mention.

And lol @ this admission in the article:

That doesn’t mean she’s allowed to collude with her buddies to push a shit game onto the gaming public, and inexplicably ride that game to fortune and fame.

That’s been the crux of the GamerGate complaint all along.
Finally they admit that Gamergate is really about "a shit game" "inexplicably" getting coverage, and the only way it could possibly have happened is due to widespread corruption among journalists. (As opposed to, say, a trend emerging in game development of contemplative independent games made with open source tools, and a couple of games in particular being poster-children for that trend, thus accounting for their coverage in media whose job it is to report on these trends.)

I thought Gamergate had nothing to do with Zoe Quinn so we should all stop talking about her? Guess not.

26. Re: etc., etc. Oct 22, 2014, 03:57 Squirmer

Prez wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 00:59:
If it were found that journos from USAToday, CNN, MSNBC, and other mainstream media outlest were colluding about which stories to run and which to ignore, as well as which journos to not hire, it would be a big scandal, worthy of lead stories for quite a while. It may or may not actually be going on but outing it would be HUGE. Colluding to deceive and colluding to blacklist people is not sitting down to drinks after work.
Well yeah, but I don't know if you're characterizing the Pinsof thing accurately there. The Destructoid editor initially sought advice from his peers, which of course happens all the time in all fields, and things got uglier later. I don't know if there's enough to call it blacklisting -- I think a court would be hard pressed to call it that -- but threats to change his byline were really shitty.

In any case, I have no doubt at all that those mainstream journalists having drinks together bitch and moan about their other colleagues on a regular basis. (And you can replace "journalist" with literally any other profession.)

20. Re: etc., etc. Oct 22, 2014, 00:52 Squirmer

It's pretty naive to think that journalists in any field don't communicate with each other though. It's no different with games. Journalists don't care if their corporations are competing, they are still colleagues on an individual level. You don't think all those journalists who sit together at press conferences aren't getting drinks later on and discussing their work?

This naivety about how journalists actually do their jobs is probably one of the reasons why mainstream coverage of gamergate is dismissive of it.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
13. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 22, 2014, 00:45 Squirmer

It wasn't just ads creating that identity. Game journalists (ironically) writing for magazines in the 80s also aimed their work squarely at young men and boys. Go back to the early 80s and a lot of game coverage was aimed at parents ("Your kids/the family will love this" sort of thing). Around the mid 80s the "gamer" emerged as a young male identity.  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
11. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 20, 2014, 23:32 Squirmer

I don't know why you'd want to watch a Batman show with no Batman.  

777 Comments. 39 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo