Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Squirmer

Real Name Squirmer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 28, 2002, 23:14
Total Comments 672 (Apprentice)
User ID 14094

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Dishonored II at E3?
23. Re: Dishonored II at E3? Mar 4, 2014, 05:16 Squirmer

Hope visibility is affected by light and shadow this time.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Mar 1, 2014, 17:09 Squirmer

ViRGE wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 13:01:
Julio wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 11:53:
Just because the government can spy on us with cellphones doesn't mean we have to bring a SpyboxOne into our homes.
Just because the government can spy on us with cellphones doesn't mean they're doing it with the XB1.

Especially not when a cell phone is a far more useful spying tool period. It's a camera, microphone, and tracking device all in one. So either get rid of your cell phone, or stop worrying about your XB1.
Don't be naive, they use every method they possibly can. The reports from a few days ago were about them storing images from webcam chats. Why wouldn't they use the Kinect as well given it's way more effective at tracking people and storing data about you than a webcam? Of course they use it.

News Comments > Meet the Flockers
4. Re: Meet the Flockers Feb 26, 2014, 21:32 Squirmer

"This is the most important game we've worked on in over a decade,"

Don't they say this when they announce literally every new game.

News Comments > THIEF Reviews
93. Re: THIEF Reviews Feb 24, 2014, 22:54 Squirmer

I'm pleased about this because I think Eidos Montreal is filled with hacks and idiots who don't understand the original games, and that goes for DX:HR too.  

92. Re: THIEF Reviews Feb 24, 2014, 22:53 Squirmer

Even the game's writer would prefer not to be associated with it:

Rhianna Pratchett
&#8207;@rhipratchett
Yes, I worked on some of the world building/cinematics in Thief. I chose not to talk about it. I have my reasons. Hope some of you enjoy it.

75. Re: THIEF Reviews Feb 24, 2014, 19:22 Squirmer

Riker wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 16:40:
How disappointing. The same studio released the excellent Deus Ex: Human Revolution 2 years ago, but a quick glance at the credits seems to indicate that the same leads did not work on Thief. What a shame.

On the positive side, that's probably because the DX:HR team is actively working on a sequel.
I don't think DXHR is 'excellent', but I have to say it's at least not a disaster like this Thief reboot apparently is. HR was an inferior copy of the original, but at least it copied some good things. Thief seems to have lost almost everything that made the originals so treasured.

News Comments > THIEF System Requirements - Mantle Support via Post-Release Patch
11. Re: THIEF System Requirements - Mantle Support via Post-Release Patch Feb 23, 2014, 17:23 Squirmer

Level design comparison: http://i.imgur.com/om7LJLQ.jpg  

News Comments > THIEF Launch Trailer
42. Re: THIEF Launch Trailer Feb 20, 2014, 17:36 Squirmer

Oh, and there was a QTE in the livestream too. I thought they removed those, but the guy needed to TAP SQUARE to move a wooden beam that was blocking his path.  

News Comments > THIEF Launch Trailer
40. Re: THIEF Launch Trailer Feb 20, 2014, 17:33 Squirmer

Someone was livestreaming a leaked version of this yesterday, and it looked really boring. Most of what I saw didn't even have any enemies in it, it was just exploring a ruin with the occasional trap, solving some puzzles. Not very Thief-like. The Cradle in Thief 3 had an area devoid of enemies too, but of course that place was scary as hell; not so here.

And when there was an enemy and the player was spotted, he just used the 'swoop' move three times in a row and left the enemy way behind. Don't know what difficulty level it was.

There was one really exasperating point where the player kept dying to a pressure plate trap on the floor. The plate was about 1 square meter. In any other game you could just jump over the plate. But you can't do that here, because the game won't let you jump unless there's a contextual prompt to do so. It puts a lie to their claim that restricting jumping makes the game more 'immersive', because that moment was plain silly. (Turns out he needed to push a little brick on the wall and that disabled the trap.)

It was also a nice example of how denying the player freedom of action makes the game much more constrained, as we've discussed in a few threads here over the past few weeks. It looked like the player was required to find the correct solution to the puzzle instead of overcoming the obstacle in their own way. If that's indicative of how the game is designed, it doesn't look good.

News Comments > PC Leads Developer Next Game Survey
9. Re: PC Leads Developer Next Game Survey Feb 19, 2014, 20:21 Squirmer

There are actually very few AAA studios still around. Gamasutra (I think) had an article a few months ago suggesting there are only 20-something AAA studios in the whole world right now (one less now that Levine fired everyone and shut his down).

By contrast, there are tons of really interesting indie games coming out, and while some of them will go for the online console stores, they will also release on PC. So the numbers are believable to me.

It's a great situation I think.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Banished
20. Re: Ships Ahoy - Banished Feb 19, 2014, 20:16 Squirmer

LgFriess wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 10:03:
RPS gave it a interesting review. I'm not sure if the few days played that the review was based off of was enough though. I'll wait to see how long term play evolves.
The comments to that review make it sound like a lot of the complaints stem from ignorance.

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
25. Re: Morning Screenshots Feb 10, 2014, 16:50 Squirmer

Beamer wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 11:00:
Someone in the last thread called this a "last-gen MMORPG."

What, then, is a current or next-gen MMORPG? This indeed looks bland and boring, but, to me, it looks like every other MMORPG out there.
It's a cop-out answer because it's not out yet, but EverQuest Next looks genuinely advanced and different.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
17. Re: Sunday Mobilization Feb 9, 2014, 16:45 Squirmer

Claims that the guy is a 'marketing genius' for removing the app don't make much sense to me. There might have been a spike of downloads in the past 24 hours, but once you've had 50 million downloads you don't need to pull radical stunts like that to create buzz. Unless he ends up putting it back on the app store later (in which case the cynical people will be right), the guy is giving up revenue by doing this.  

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Slowed by Cash
46. Re: Pillars of Eternity Slowed by Cash Feb 9, 2014, 16:37 Squirmer

Jerykk wrote on Feb 9, 2014, 06:10:
9 out of 10 games are delayed, indie or otherwise.
And we don't even hear about most delays because companies don't announce release dates until they're fairly sure about it (and even then delays are the norm). With Kickstarter, devs are required to specify a release date maybe before they've even started production. Even an experienced company like Obsidian is going to struggle with that, let alone less experienced indie developers.

Bottom line is, delays of Kickstarted games need to be expected. Anyone whining about it is just being petulant.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
16. Re: Sunday Mobilization Feb 9, 2014, 16:29 Squirmer

Flappy Bird has been downloaded more than 50 million times. GTA5 sold over 32.5 million copies. GTA has made way more money of course, but in player numbers Flappy is much bigger.  

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Slowed by Cash
30. Re: Pillars of Eternity Slowed by Cash Feb 8, 2014, 19:43 Squirmer

Videogame gets delayed, this has never happened before.  

News Comments > Gone Gold - Thief; New Trailer Released
104. Re: Gone Gold - Thief; New Trailer Released Feb 5, 2014, 00:24 Squirmer

Beamer wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 00:03:
Squirmer wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 23:08:
Someone call the Looking Glass, Ion Storm, and Arkane folks, tell 'em they weren't actually making immersive sims after all.

I can't decide if my favorite sim is the build-a-wall-to-heaven sim Tetris or possibly the flu vaccine sim Dr. Mario.

But then there's the space marine sim Doom, the MIT PhD sim Half Life, the immortal dictator sim Civilization, the corporate alien defense sim X-COM, or the bros on spring break sim Far Cry 3.

Really, by your definition, everything's a sim!
This is a really stupid post. You're trying to equate simulation with role playing, which is not at all what I'm talking about.

When people talk about simulating an environment, as in having the environment (the 'game world') respond in consistent ways according to the designed rules, do you really not understand what that means? I'm talking about the design of game systems, not the game's theme.

In a simulated environment, if you find a crate and you know your character can pick up/throw/shoot crates, you can put those systems together and influence the game world in a creative way. Compare that with the pre-baked animation of the falling crate in this trailer; everything in this game is tightly controlled by the designers, leading to a loss of player freedom. That result is inevitable. You cannot promote player freedom by pre-designing gameplay opportunities.

96. Re: Gone Gold - Thief; New Trailer Released Feb 4, 2014, 23:08 Squirmer

Someone call the Looking Glass, Ion Storm, and Arkane folks, tell 'em they weren't actually making immersive sims after all.  

94. Re: Gone Gold - Thief; New Trailer Released Feb 4, 2014, 22:25 Squirmer

Wow ok, you just don't have any idea what simulation means.  

92. Re: Gone Gold - Thief; New Trailer Released Feb 4, 2014, 21:40 Squirmer

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 20:36:
Calling any Thief a sim is a real stretch.
You know the actual genre is called "immersive sim" right? Do you know anything about these games?

672 Comments. 34 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo