Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Squirmer

Real Name Squirmer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 28, 2002, 23:14
Total Comments 760 (Graduate)
User ID 14094

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc., etc.
20. Re: etc., etc. Oct 22, 2014, 00:52 Squirmer

It's pretty naive to think that journalists in any field don't communicate with each other though. It's no different with games. Journalists don't care if their corporations are competing, they are still colleagues on an individual level. You don't think all those journalists who sit together at press conferences aren't getting drinks later on and discussing their work?

This naivety about how journalists actually do their jobs is probably one of the reasons why mainstream coverage of gamergate is dismissive of it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
13. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 22, 2014, 00:45 Squirmer

It wasn't just ads creating that identity. Game journalists (ironically) writing for magazines in the 80s also aimed their work squarely at young men and boys. Go back to the early 80s and a lot of game coverage was aimed at parents ("Your kids/the family will love this" sort of thing). Around the mid 80s the "gamer" emerged as a young male identity.  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
11. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 20, 2014, 23:32 Squirmer

I don't know why you'd want to watch a Batman show with no Batman.  

News Comments > Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Requires 6GB of RAM
5. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Requires 6GB of RAM Oct 20, 2014, 09:39 Squirmer

My PC is about 2 years old and has 16GB, so I guess I'm safe for the next decade or so.  

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
27. Re: Sunday Interviews Oct 19, 2014, 17:56 Squirmer

For some reason people just lose their minds when critique is "feminist" in nature. Consider a different kind of critique: I enjoy Shadows of Mordor but still think the combat is pretty shit, for example. That's a critique, just not a "political" one, so presumably I won't get death threats from people who think I want to take away their Arkham-style brawler combat and singlehandedly ruin videogames in the process. See how absurd this hysteria is when applied to any kind of non-feminist critique? What is it about feminism that makes people think the world is literally ending because of it?  

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
26. Re: Sunday Interviews Oct 19, 2014, 17:55 Squirmer

Yeahyeah Yeah wrote on Oct 19, 2014, 17:05:
Except it's not 'lazy', nor is it necessarily 'bad'. Anita may be worked up when the princess needs to be saved by the prince, but the fact that she deems it lazy or bad or in need of "fixing" doesn't make it so.
True. What she's doing is making an argument like a civilized person. Imagine if people responded to it with civilized argument instead of bizarre conspiracy theories coupled with rape and death threats.

It's almost as if she's not airing a preference or desire for a certain kind of game she'd like, but criticizing games that don't meet that desire as not only bad, but the people who like them for all that are bad or wrong or 'in need of fixing', eh?
Gamer culture is toxic, that's nothing new. No one is saying all gamers are bad people in need of fixing. The issue is the cultivation of a (sub)culture. The problem with Gamergate is that it enables more toxicity, partly by spreading weird conspiracy theories and directly attacking people like Sarkeesian instead of engaging in actual discussion and critique of her videos. (I would say that's because there's very little to argue about.)

Also, she has said repeatedly that you can enjoy things you find troubling in some way. You can enjoy games and still criticize parts of them.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
8. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 19, 2014, 17:07 Squirmer

The final boss fights in Mordor were terrible. There was one boss fight part-way through the game that was a nice challenge and played to the game's strengths, but the last ones were awful. Either they ran out of time or they really wanted some "cinematic" crap and settled on QTEs.  

News Comments > etc.
26. Re: etc. Oct 18, 2014, 18:39 Squirmer

NKD wrote on Oct 18, 2014, 15:38:
For many of our staff, myself included, GamerGate presented enough of a perceived danger that we were scared for ourselves and our families. (Notable fact I remind myself of often: There are 14 children among the Polygon staff, including two under the age of 1).

That's right guys. If you have concerns about how game journalists go about their business, you're literally a child murderer. Even newborns.
GGers accuse the other side of being professional victims, but then you go and say a thing like that.

11. Re: etc., etc. Oct 16, 2014, 04:30 Squirmer

NKD wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 22:51:
mag wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 21:25:
NKD wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 20:57:
Gamers are being pushed out of gaming.

Did you totally miss the explosion of indie and Kickstarter titles as the glories of 90s gaming were brought back to life? What are you grumpy about?

The exception that proves the rule. Why do you think those titles are relegated to Kickstarters? Because the industry has a decreasing interest in making titles that don't appeal to the gamer who has no interest in being called a gamer.

And other indie titles are little more than shallow minigames. And as I said before, the corrupt games media can bury or push out any indie developer who doesn't play ball by basically refusing to cover their titles.

Kickstarter has produced a very small handful of titles worth playing over the past several years, and by virtue of their generally low budget, they are limited in what they offer. Other crowdfunded titles, like Star Citizen, may not deliver a complete game for many years, or may not ever result in a complete game.

Kickstarter is a great supplement to the games industry. It isn't a viable future unto itself.
I can't even figure out what you want now. The AAA industry was boring for a long time. That what your enemies (the feminists/marxists/sjws) have thought for a long time too. (I actually think it might be better than it was in the mid-2000s, but it's hard to tell.)

Now that digital distribution has established itself, and now that crowdfunding is offering a new means of funding, there's an explosion of diverse games. There's a revival of old genres, as well as new things we haven't seen before. But that's still not enough, apparently. You're still angry. You still want ... something. You want "the industry" to make ... something. But what? Do you even know?

Dare I say it ... if you can't find a bunch of games out there, right now, that are really interesting regardless of your tastes, you're no gamer. You're a professional misery.

News Comments > etc.
66. Re: etc. Oct 15, 2014, 18:34 Squirmer

It kind of astounds me that anyone would still claim to support gamergate at this stage, considering the actual mainstream coverage of it. Outside of the distorted view of reality in gamergate circles, the mainstream coverage should make people realize that the rest of the world sees gamergate supporters as either 1) childish internet trolls, or 2) actual psychopaths.

If you actually care about journalism ethics, what's the actual point of sticking with a label that can never possibly be salvaged? (Answer: it's not really about journalism ethics, and even if it were, no one wants to put in the effort required to effect any measurable change, oh well.)

8. Re: etc., etc. Oct 14, 2014, 21:59 Squirmer

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 14, 2014, 21:35:
I still don't get what some less than moral girls sex life has to do with gamergate.
Um the burgers and fries shit was what Baldwin was referring to when he started the hashtag.

News Comments > etc.
13. Re: etc. Oct 12, 2014, 20:30 Squirmer

NKD wrote on Oct 12, 2014, 19:34:
There is literally no good that can come from broadcasting this shit over the Internet.
You mean no good can come to the gamergate cause by broadcasting it. All the more reason to broadcast it.

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
17. Re: Saturday Interviews Oct 11, 2014, 19:34 Squirmer

Yeahyeah Yeah wrote on Oct 11, 2014, 19:14:
But your don't find it relevant that one interviewer wanted to make her kill herself?

If I can find one member of the anti-gamergate group that did something shitty, can I therefore say all anti-gamergate people are equally guilty of that same thing, and they can be collectively ignored?
No but I wouldn't want to see that person interviewed as part of a discussion about journalism ethics.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Specs
18. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Specs Oct 10, 2014, 18:49 Squirmer

I don't get why they're hailing the addition of four legged creatures as a huge victory. What kind of engine can't support four legged creatures?  

News Comments > etc.
29. Re: etc. Oct 7, 2014, 22:29 Squirmer

I have read some, and conveniently she addressed this the other day.

Leigh Alexander @leighalexander Oct 5
they will belittle, distort and needle any woman in tech for years. if she takes it quietly, they win. if she publicly retaliates, she loses

'can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen, bitch' for decades -- stand up for yourself once and 'wahhh, she's a bully, she's just as bad'

they whittle away at your spirit, then get to say you deserve mistreatment because you're 'reactionary' or temperamental

News Comments > etc.
27. Re: etc. Oct 7, 2014, 21:19 Squirmer

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Oct 7, 2014, 13:31:
The problem with that is Alexander's article was purposefully on the offensive.
Yes it was, but you have to see in context. She has been receiving abuse for the things she writes for years. Literally years.

You excuse gamers getting angry at her in response. You presumably excuse Prez calling her a "worthless sack of shit" in this thread. Why can't you also excuse her anger?

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Alien: Isolation
11. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Alien: Isolation Oct 6, 2014, 19:29 Squirmer

saluk wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 19:27:
"Mixed" reviews? The only reviews I see on metacritic below 80 are not in english. Unless you count IGN or Gamespot. Which I don't. Reviews on steam are mostly positive, though obviously just reviews of the first part. Sure I'm still gonna wait - probably for potential winter sale - but it's looking pretty up for the alien license for a change.
And we all know non-English speakers have nothing of value to add to the world.

News Comments > etc.
22. Re: etc. Oct 5, 2014, 20:23 Squirmer

ASeven wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 16:50:
Prez wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 16:15:
I agree that the issue has gotten somewhat convoluted (partially by design on the part of the self-righteous crusaders who like building strawmen then later cutting them down) but I have to agree with Redmask. My fear is that if we don't at least occasionally offer up some significant resistance to the absolute face-palm stupid things the hyprocritical crusading thought police are pushing we may be sorry we didn't later on down the road. Beamer is wrong; they don't just want the occasional game with a strong female lead. They want far more than that, and without someone offering counterpoint to their idiocy, developers and publishers may eventually start listening to them. That's my opinion anyway.

They want what all moral movements in history ever wanted, control and power. Power to dictate what can be said and written and what not. Power to stop the production of anything they don't like.

They are the typical representation of thought police and anyone who knows a bit of history or sociology can tell, thought police movements never bring any good to society, never. From the Volstead Act of 1919 to Nazi Germany and their race ideology to the witch hunts of McCarthy, history has shown that anyone using any kind of "moral" ideology to push their own agenda has ended up bringing misery upon society. SJWs are a reflection of the thought police movement, self-described oppressed people who suffered some sort of oppression, be it real or imagined, and are now using it as an excuse to restrict, censor and mold society to their own ideology with the end results always being terrible.

This is why SJWs must not be allowed to keep spreading their hate-filled speech lest gaming suffers a backward leap so huge it may set the industry decades until it recovers.

For a final insight and a bit of a laugh, I leave this picture as an example. Take your own conclusions.
Seriously man, if you believe this stuff you're just delusional. The "SJWs" are calling to give a voice to people who historically have lacked a voice. It's the total opposite of censorship and thought policing.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
34. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 5, 2014, 19:16 Squirmer

Quinn wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 19:13:
Very underwhelmed with SoM. It's too easy, and you're doing the same shit the entire time. The game is as shallow as a puddle. There are a lot of weapon sidequest but they all end up with you either having to shoot uruks, stealth-kill uruks or kill uruks in open battle. Every uruk can identify a special uruk for you, though only worms and special uruks can reveal their weaknesses. The latter is useless, because you could basically kill 5 warchiefs in one battle with one hand while playing Plants vs Zombies with the other.

The entire game you're basically killing uruks or let them kill eachother, and collect shit. I'm surprised the game is being received so fucking well.
How far into it are you? The basic uruks are easy to fight, but once the ones with shields and the ones that block your attacks appear, it gets harder.

News Comments > Game Reviews
14. Re: Game Reviews Oct 4, 2014, 19:50 Squirmer

The criticisms about the shifting goal posts and boring objectives make it sound a lot like Bioshock. And the alien spawning here and there sounds like the behavior of big daddies.  

760 Comments. 38 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo