Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Squirmer

Real Name Squirmer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 28, 2002, 23:14
Total Comments 700 (Apprentice)
User ID 14094

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Unofficial Vampire Bloodlines Patch
19. Re: No subject Aug 7, 2005, 09:26 Squirmer

Oddly, this is one of those "love it or hate it" games. I rarely see anybody saying it was just "ok."

Well I kind of have a love-hate relationship with it, actually. I think the writing and the acting are superb, and some of the quests (like the disturbing stuff happening in Hollywood) are brilliant. But the amateurish implementation of their design -- and the broken design itself -- meant the game became a chore to play for me. For everything that pushed me on, something else pushed me away.

When all's said and done though, I'm glad Troika made the effort. I do like this kind of game, and not enough people are making them.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Unofficial Vampire Bloodlines Patch
9. No subject Aug 6, 2005, 21:11 Squirmer

It's clear that Troika had no idea how to make a first person game; just look at that horrible sewer crawl through corridor after identical corridor. That's a typical top-down RPG dungeon crawl quest applied to a first person engine with not a thought for how it would actually play.

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: No subject Aug 6, 2005, 21:04 Squirmer

The author might not be right up to date on modern gaming, but that's a good article. It pokes holes in the old and tired arguments that gaming's critics throw out there. The most striking is the comparison of crime rates and gaming's popularity, something that isn't mentioned enough. It's good to see the media give a favourable impression of games, and dismiss its critics as the out of touch wrinklies that they are.

News Comments > Saturday Q&As
3. Re: new mmo Aug 6, 2005, 20:44 Squirmer

How do you know? The game's not even out of pre-production yet.

News Comments > Dark Messiah of Might & Magic Announced
32. Re: No subject Aug 4, 2005, 20:51 Squirmer

But why does it say "fantasy action game"? Does "fantasy action game" sound like "RPG" to you? Don't you think they would have used an industry standard naming scheme like "RPG" if that is what they wanted customers to expect?

I'm listening to people who have some knowledge of the game, who have called it an RPG. It seems they can't speak about it right now though, so I won't call them out.

Why not call it an RPG? Who knows, maybe Ubi doesn't think an RPG will sell, maybe when people hear 'RPG' they think of the usual top-down games rather than first person games with fully featured combat systems, maybe the target audience is action gamers rather than hardcore RPG fans. People have different definitions. Deus Ex was marketed as an action game, but I would call it an RPG, or RPG-lite. You might not. Calling your game an 'something-lite' is probably not good marketing, even if that's what it is.

Of course I'm just guessing, like everyone else, but my guesses are based on what people who have more knowledge than the rest of us have said. With that, I'm going to wait two weeks to get some more info.

30. Re: No subject Aug 4, 2005, 20:33 Squirmer

Yes, because to be an RPG you have to level up, do quests and collect a bunch of shit. Your idea of an RPG is pretty limited.

27. No subject Aug 4, 2005, 19:09 Squirmer

I don't understand all the criticism of this game. Is it just a continuation of the nonsensical Valve bashing that plagues Blues? Anything remotely connected to Valve sucks and you'll invent reasons if you have to?

Even judging from a press release, the game sounds good to me. A first person action-RPG from the makers of Arx Fatalis is not something to complain about.

I'm going to trust people who have actually seen the game more than a bunch of reflexive bashers who have no idea what it will be like.
This comment was edited on Aug 4, 20:39.

News Comments > Sims 2 Backlash Backlash
5. Re: No subject Jul 28, 2005, 10:08 Squirmer

Finally some tough words. We need more. Expose Thompson for the complete retard that he is.

News Comments > Falcon 4.0 Lead Pursuit Patch
2. Re: ... Jul 27, 2005, 21:18 Squirmer

In a good way though. From what I've read, Allied Force is incredibly stable overall. Releasing patches like this is just good support, not evidence of rushed programming like F4 was.

News Comments > Rockstar & Take Two Sued
14. Re: can we say Jul 27, 2005, 21:03 Squirmer

Even if it's not thrown out immediately, the lawyers can tie it up in court until she dies.

News Comments > Take-Two on FTC Probe
4. Re: No subject Jul 26, 2005, 21:29 Squirmer

Is submitting a game for rating an 'advertising claim'? I guess it's vaguely related ...

News Comments > Federal Rockstar Probe
122. Re: this is bull Jul 26, 2005, 18:49 Squirmer

3rd party modifications are a whole different issue than this problem of unlocking questionable content left in by the developers themselves. If Epic left in nude skins for the Unreal characters and people unlocked them, the same problem would occur.

Wasn't the nude Mona skin in Max Payne 2 simply unlocked? Why didn't that raise such a stink? I know Rockstar included simulated sex, so it's not the same thing, but I wonder if Remedy announced the nude skin to the ESRB.

News Comments > DoD: Source & HL2 Lost Coast Status
24. Re: ... Jul 23, 2005, 23:59 Squirmer

@DOD:Source Screen Shots. HAHAHAHAHAHAHH
AHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHA, oh man, no seriously show us the real shots....really. AHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAH HAHAHAHAHAHAH.
Oh man, good joke, seriously, show us what you've been doing to really show off the source engine.

Since when was DoD supposed to show off the Source engine? That's what Lost Coast is for, surely. DoD: Source is just an update of a popular game that's been around for years.

News Comments > Battlefield 2 Tour of Duty Announced
9. Re: 3rd Party Jul 22, 2005, 00:14 Squirmer

My computer isn't nearly good enough to run B2, but this tournament stuff sounds excellent. Too bad about the subscription crap though.

News Comments > Morning Q&As
17. Re: No subject Jul 20, 2005, 19:53 Squirmer

I'm concerned about the Oblivion interface. They've designed it to cater to TV screens, and judging from the single screenshot that includes subtitles, the text is BIG. Not quite as bad as DX: Invisible War, but it's not far off. I thought Morrowind's interface was slick and functional, so I hope they don't make things unnecessarily simple.

News Comments > EA & Valve
66. Re: imceach1@maine.rr.com Jul 18, 2005, 20:25 Squirmer

True, Lurker. For all we complain about EA, they've published a lot of great games over the years. System Shock 2 not least of all. They've given funding to risky games as well, like The Sims (they might have milked it, but like it or not it was a risk to begin with). They're publishing Spore as well. There's good and bad in everyone.

58. Re: Prediction Jul 18, 2005, 19:35 Squirmer

Maybe the GOTY edition will have the expansion included. That should be out before long.

53. Re: Where can I sign up? Jul 18, 2005, 18:57 Squirmer

EA titles through Steam? Impulse purchases ahoy!

Surely the point of Steam is that EA does not get money for those sales. So they're Valve titles, not EA titles. Maybe that's it: a big ploy by Valve to make even more people use Steam, a lesser of two evils kinda thing.

Though personally I don't consider Steam an evil at all, unlike the Valve bashers patrolling this site.

News Comments > Hot Coffee Klatch
63. Re: No subject Jul 14, 2005, 20:24 Squirmer

More generally, I can't believe all those American stores would refuse to carry a product intended for people over 18. That country really needs to lighten up.

News Comments > The Godfather Delayed
3. Re: No subject Jul 14, 2005, 19:06 Squirmer

Read that again. The fourth fiscal quarter, ending March 2006. They're going to miss Christmas.

700 Comments. 35 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo