Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Squirmer

Real Name Squirmer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 28, 2002, 23:14
Total Comments 699 (Apprentice)
User ID 14094

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Darwinia Patch, Updated Demo
8. Re: No subject Sep 25, 2005, 20:01 Squirmer

Not to mention that mouse gestures aren't innovative anyway. Black & White and Arx Fatalis come to mind immediately.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Serious Sam 2 Demo
115. Re: No subject Sep 21, 2005, 20:35 Squirmer

That's also when he came up with the asinine comment that "One day I'll make a game that features just one room, and people will say it's the best game ever!"
Funny enough, he never mentions that quote again, even when asked.

Probably because he never actually said it.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Indigo Prophecy
23. Re: Censored Sep 21, 2005, 09:18 Squirmer

Err, I could have sworn that Australia has banned a load of games based on violence. I know that GTA3 was banned because you could beat up prostitutes, though the ban was eventually revoked. Manhunt, Phantasmagoria, Postal 2 and Dreamweb were/are banned in Australia, if Wikipedia is accurate.

That's mostly because Australia doesn't have an R18+ rating for games, so anything that would be classified R, including a high level of violence, is banned. GTA3 was banned not for simple violence, but because the ratings board decided that being able to have sex with a prostitute and then kill her constituted 'sexual violence'. So sex was still the problem. Kill the prostitute, fine, but sleep with her first!? They seem to have reversed that decision since, because the sequels were uncensored.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Indigo Prophecy
20. Re: Censored Sep 21, 2005, 07:14 Squirmer

Though, to be fair, a lot of other countries have serious issues with violence (Germany and Australia come to mind) but no issues with sex or nudity.

You got that backwards for Australia. We're just as sexually shy as America here, but we got no problem with hacking our digital enemies into tiny pieces. Although I think we're getting the uncut version of Fahrenheit (yeah, Fahrenheit) here, so that's cool.

News Comments > Rag Doll Kung Fu Steam Plans
40. Re: Cheap distribution Sep 19, 2005, 19:11 Squirmer

Not much weight. If Vivendi's version is $25 & Valve's version never changed, this all means that I could buy a retail version of the expansion for $5 in the future, but Valve will still charge $13.

How do you know the $13 will never change?

And come on, $13 for an expansion. That is way less than your typical expansion costs, and yet people still complain that Valve is trying to screw them over.

News Comments > Rag Doll Kung Fu Steam Plans
37. Re: Cheap distribution Sep 19, 2005, 18:46 Squirmer

One thing that bugs me is, that i found a huge pile of Hl2 Boxes, 19.90EUR a pop, in my local electronics store last week.

Yes, thats the same version Valve still sells for 49.94Dollar via Steam.

The whole thing about 'cheaper games through cutting out the middle men' already was kinda fishy, when they introduced it for the exact same price on steam, but not following retail reductions is getting ridiculous.

The HL2 expansion will only cost $12.95, and I'm guessing the retail price will be more. Which adds weight to the claim that Valve was required to charge full retail price under their agreement with Vivendi. They're no longer dealing with Vivendi.

And man, people are such tightasses around here. $13 is a bargain for a game. You didn't expect this to be free, did you? Why? It's not a mod.

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Dystiopia Demo Patch
5. Re: No subject Sep 17, 2005, 07:56 Squirmer

I really don't know why people are complaining about bottlenecks. The point is to encourage teamwork. If you put in three different pathways for people to take, your team is split up. The bottlenecks encourage teamwork because you need everyone working together to push past the enemies and reach the objective. I love it that way, personally. Big gunfights at the airlock are very exciting.

Now if you don't like working in a team and prefer to go your own way, that's up to you. But maybe this game isn't suitable for you, since there's such a strong focus on teamwork.

News Comments > Quake II as an MMOG
9. Re: Yeah right... Sep 17, 2005, 07:44 Squirmer

They're not considering buying Quake 2, but a game built with the Quake 2 engine base. There's a pretty big difference.

News Comments > ESRB Demands Audit
35. Re: No subject Sep 13, 2005, 08:38 Squirmer

Nobody's trying to mess with 3rd party mods. ESRB is concerned with developer created content. They are trying to make sure that everything the developers put on the disk, ESRB is aware of. That's it.

Read the last paragraph again. It certainly sounds ominous, even though I doubt they could do anything.

News Comments > Michigan's Violent Gaming Law
2. Re: No subject Sep 12, 2005, 22:16 Squirmer

I don't really have a problem with making it illegal to sell games to underage kids (in Australia the rating system is government-controlled, so I'm used to it). What I have a problem with is the different treatment given to other entertainment mediums. If you make it illegal to sell games, make it illegal to sell movies. Just focusing on games suggests there's something inherently more dangerous about games, which has not been proven by any study anywhere.

News Comments > ESRB Demands Audit
6. Re: 3rd party mods Sep 12, 2005, 22:13 Squirmer

They can't possibly try to control 3rd party mods. The best they could do is pressure developers to make it as hard to possible to make mods, which would suck. I wonder how they plan to control downloadable, online-distributed titles ...

News Comments > Dystopia Source Demo
11. Re: No subject Sep 10, 2005, 09:48 Squirmer

I quit after 4 minutes of half the people playing the game spamming it.

"I don't think so sister"

Ha, yeah that happened on the server I played on too.

The mod is very nice. It encourages teamwork, and so far people seem to be playing nicely with each other.

Overon, given the size of the download (only 88MB) I'm fairly certain you need HL2. You start it up using Steam, if you're wondering.

News Comments > IGN Gets Foxy
1. No subject Sep 8, 2005, 10:22 Squirmer

Bah. It continues.

News Comments > The Early Show
3. Re: DMOM&M Sep 1, 2005, 19:10 Squirmer

The big DM video won't run on my computer and the small one in tiny. Couldn't they release a medium size?

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - rFactor
1. No subject Aug 31, 2005, 18:58 Squirmer

This is why I like digital distribution. I'm in Australia and a US$40 game would normally cost around AU$70 at least. But getting it digitally only costs $55.

News Comments > Sunday Screenshots
12. Re: No subject Aug 28, 2005, 20:42 Squirmer

Bethesda says the speech files take up half the DVD.

News Comments > Microsoft Goes Digital
5. Re: No subject Aug 15, 2005, 22:00 Squirmer

I don't WANT to enjoy a console gaming experience on my PC... Console games are often dumbed down (not always) and while some are quite fun, I don't think it's the optimum platform for games like RTS with a lot of options (requiring a keyboard) and more.

Uh ... where did it say 'the EXEtender technology will force developers to make dumbed down games designed for gamepads'? That's not what it meant.

News Comments > Rag Doll Kung Fu Goes Steam
11. No subject Aug 13, 2005, 00:46 Squirmer

This is a great example of why programs like Steam are important. Hundreds of thousands of people will hear about this game through Steam, but it's highly unlikely that it would ever be distributed through the traditional publisher system. Looks like fun too.

News Comments > Saturday Q&As
8. Re: Tom Hall Aug 7, 2005, 18:40 Squirmer

That was Joey 'chinaman' Liaw.

News Comments > Unofficial Vampire Bloodlines Patch
19. Re: No subject Aug 7, 2005, 09:26 Squirmer

Oddly, this is one of those "love it or hate it" games. I rarely see anybody saying it was just "ok."

Well I kind of have a love-hate relationship with it, actually. I think the writing and the acting are superb, and some of the quests (like the disturbing stuff happening in Hollywood) are brilliant. But the amateurish implementation of their design -- and the broken design itself -- meant the game became a chore to play for me. For everything that pushed me on, something else pushed me away.

When all's said and done though, I'm glad Troika made the effort. I do like this kind of game, and not enough people are making them.

699 Comments. 35 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo