Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Squirmer

Real Name Squirmer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 28, 2002, 23:14
Total Comments 729 (Apprentice)
User ID 14094

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Half-Life 2: Episode One
41. Re: No subject Feb 11, 2006, 07:48 Squirmer

Infact, I believe this episodic format will allow more developers to put out more crappy games than before because it's easier to convince publishers to shell out little money for a small episode game than hand out the big cash for a full game.

Whoa, you think that's a bad thing!? Publisher trepidation is what's causing the endless streams of generic sequels, tie-ins and cash-ins. You think a format that allows developers to innovate is bad for the industry?

This comment was edited on Feb 11, 07:48.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Half-Life 2: Episode One
17. Re: hmmm Feb 11, 2006, 01:00 Squirmer

Translation: If you are a Valve lackey, who follows and hangs on its every word, you already knew about this and would pay any price regardless.

Uh no, I don't hang on every word but I remember Valve saying some time ago that they want to release episodic HL2 content. I think it was in an interview posted on Blues, so you hardly have to be a 'Valve lackey' to know about it.

This comment was edited on Feb 11, 01:02.

News Comments > MS ♥s PC Gaming
4. Re: Very Nice Feb 10, 2006, 17:44 Squirmer

I like the idea of MS promoting PC games, and it's probably a necessary thing, but I doubt they're talking PC-exclusives. I'm sure they will encourage more messy cross-platform games that just don't suit one platform or the other. So it's good news to a degree, but also a continuation of a different problem.

News Comments > Dangerous Waters and Space Empires IV Deluxe on Steam
1. No subject Feb 8, 2006, 01:40 Squirmer

I'm a defender of Steam, but I gotta say $40 is quite expensive considering there are no packaging and shipping costs.

News Comments > On the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Delay
4. Re: No subject Feb 8, 2006, 01:33 Squirmer

Almost all games need reworking after they reach beta stage, but a further 12 months (at least, and not to mention the previous delays) suggests there are serious problems.

News Comments > James Cameron MMORPG
9. Re: James Cameron MMORPG Feb 4, 2006, 00:43 Squirmer

It's a nice idea, but a MMOG is a major undertaking. If it will be used as advertising for the film, I have to wonder how dedicated the support will be after the film's out.

News Comments > Boiling Point Sequel
16. Re: No subject Feb 3, 2006, 17:29 Squirmer

It might have been unfinished, but I can't hate a company that tries to be innovative. On the contrary, I feel like supporting them.

News Comments > TrackMania Nations ESWC Released
10. Re: Starforce Jan 27, 2006, 18:26 Squirmer

Starforce with retail games is one thing, but it's ridiculous to protect a freeware game with it. It's probably a business agreement between Starforce and Nadeo rather than a purposeful thing.

News Comments > Dear Diary
11. Re: No subject Jan 25, 2006, 17:04 Squirmer

I'm interested in the DVD documentary, but it depends how detailed it is. If it really shows the process that developers go through when making a game, great, but if it's just a shallow 'Hi my name's Dan and this is, uh, my desk and stuff', I'll pass. Since it apparently only focuses on the preparations for E3, I'm worried it will be the latter.

News Comments > Sunday Matinee
8. Re: No subject Jan 16, 2006, 01:24 Squirmer

It's just you I think, it ran smooth for me.

News Comments > Falcon 4.0: Allied Force Patch
4. Re: Im sure its technically very good.. Jan 15, 2006, 20:55 Squirmer

I think the graphics look fine. They're not the equal of some titles, but they do their job well. It's the hardcore nature of F4 that makes it hard for me to get into, since I don't have the time to spend on it. If only.

News Comments > Unofficial Vampire Patch
19. Re: #11 Jan 13, 2006, 17:46 Squirmer

Bloodlines is one of those games I like more when I'm not playing. I tend to remember the good things, like a nice atmosphere and fun quests. But there were so many problems that made it annoying to play. I haven't tried these unofficial patches, and I'm sure they help, but the game mechanics (like the implementation of the RPG systems) are fundamentally broken and no community patches could fix that. In my opinion Bloodlines was an admirable effort, but a failure.

News Comments > Unofficial Vampire Patch
18. Re: #11 Jan 13, 2006, 17:29 Squirmer

Its like twice as good as HL2, bugs and all.

Strange comparison. It's like comparing Doom 3 to Oblivion.

News Comments > Evening Q&As
5. Elite 4 Jan 12, 2006, 05:43 Squirmer

This is a bit out of the blue. I didn't know Elite 4 was actually in the works, though Braben seemed to hint at it in other interviews about his new studio.

As for Jack Thompson: any hobby is an escapist activity. That's the goddamn point.

News Comments > Maryland's Violent Gaming Bills
12. Re: No subject Jan 5, 2006, 06:24 Squirmer

Comic books ban will be proposed as well.

We already went through that decades ago, and now people wonder what the fuss was about. Centuries before that it was bawdy plays, and we chuckle at the people who thought them so harmful. Decades from now people will wonder about those backward hysterics who thought video games were destroying society.

News Comments > The Late Show
2. Re: No subject Dec 20, 2005, 02:31 Squirmer

It's Operation Flashpoint with an updated engine and more features from the real-life military programs Bohemia was involved in. It's not the proper sequel, which will come later. It seems like a cash-in to fund development of other stuff, but you won't see many OFP fans complaining. I'm hankering for more.

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: Eve Dec 16, 2005, 00:56 Squirmer

3 hours is no time at all in a MMOG. But I tried it for 30 days and came to the same conclusion.

News Comments > SiN Episodes Q&As
24. Re: Episodes... Dec 5, 2005, 01:09 Squirmer

A lot will depend on their narrative structure. If the episodes have self-contained stories I think it will fine. If they leave us hanging too often, or end the episodes abruptly, it will be annoying. They need to make a number of standalone short stories that build a bigger picture, not just give us parts of the whole.

News Comments > Stainless Steel Studios Follow-up
1. No subject Nov 28, 2005, 17:53 Squirmer

I don't understand how you can fund development for years and then pull the plug so near the end, forfeiting any sales revenue.

News Comments > Two Worlds Revolve
5. Re: *Two* Worlds Nov 27, 2005, 16:47 Squirmer

I thought it must have been a deliberate pun, but looking at the press release I don't think it is.

Also according to the release the game is due out November 2006, not this month. It's only 2005 at the moment.

729 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo