Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Squirmer

Real Name Squirmer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 28, 2002, 23:14
Total Comments 777 (Graduate)
User ID 14094

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Previews
10. Re: No subject Jul 30, 2006, 09:23 Squirmer

The fact that they could kill you in two hits was exactly the problem. It turned the open gameplay with tactics and forethought of the early game into a twitchy corridor shooter. Hopefully the designers have learnt their lesson.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: Don't blame video games Jul 22, 2006, 21:08 Squirmer

So only American kids play video games, huh? Yeah, the rest of the world is out practising their favourite sport all day while only Americans have discovered these things called video games. Nick Gholson will have to try a bit harder to find an answer, I think.

News Comments > Brian Lara Cricket to Return
2. Re: No subject Jul 21, 2006, 10:52 Squirmer

The best sport in the world. Hopefully the game is okay too.

News Comments > Project Gray Company/LotR Confirmation
3. Re: No subject Jul 14, 2006, 10:43 Squirmer

I'm not sure whether to be exasperated that what seemed like a new IP from EA is actually not, or whether to be pleased that EA is attempting something that seems daring and interesting. This is what Warren Spector was talking about a while ago: using licensed properties to springboard you into a position of innovation. I guess we'll have to wait and see what EA does with it.

News Comments > The Late Show
4. Re: DMoMM Jul 14, 2006, 02:32 Squirmer

Even just watching the movies, playing an assassin looks like great fun. If the multiplayer is good it could be a complete package.

News Comments > Rockstar Curtain Calls
22. Re: Rockstar's Crazy Jul 8, 2006, 20:32 Squirmer

The GTA3, Vice City and San Andreas combined sold something to the extent of 20 million copies?

Much more according to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best_selling_computer_and_video_games#Top_20

GTA3: 11.39m
Vice City: 13.58m
San Andreas: 13.47m

That's just on PS2, there are a few million more with Xbox and PC sales too. Close to 40 million, then. Not sure where those figures are sourced from, however.

News Comments > Auto Assault Merger
2. Re: No subject Jul 7, 2006, 21:26 Squirmer

Yeah, low player numbers is the only explanation.

News Comments > Prey-Loads
32. Re: Sham Jul 3, 2006, 19:32 Squirmer

The whole idea of a monopoly... thatís a loaded question there. My only suggestion is to take a look at the food chain from creation to when the game gets into your hands and how many hands it passes through that get a piece of the pie versus more money going to the developer to make a better game.

That's the issue for me. Personally (and I know not everyone feels the same way) if the boxed copy and the digital copy costs the same, I'm happy to pay an equal price for the digital copy because more money goes to developers. And if you doubt that, you might like to read this interview: http://rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=130 It's with Michael McCarthy who used to work for Troika (you know that company that made those interesting games and then went broke and closed down?), and has formed a new company which will be using Steam to distribute the game. Here's the important part:

Ready?.... You get 10% of the royalties of the game! So like if the game sells 1 million units at Electronics Boutique for 50 bucks a piece, you get 5 million dollars coming back at you right?!??!

WRONG

EB bought the game for 40 dollars and sells it for 50. Now the publisher takes away their expenses of producing the full color manual and the pretty box and such which we'll say is 10 bucks (usually more like 7, but let's keep the math easy). So now we are down to 30 bucks, and you get 10% of that... 3 bucks.... but WAIT!!! Your 3 dollars doesn't go into your pocket, your 3 bucks goes to pay back the publisher what you borrowed to make the game. They did give you 6 million dollars. So before the developer see's a check in the mail, you would have to sell 2 million units!!!!! So the developer before the developer gets a check, the publisher gets 30 million dollars coming in.

Crazy huh?

And here's the kicker:

If Troika was able to sell the games they made through Steam and sold only a 1/4 of the units they did, they'd be thriving today and everyone would have really cool RPG's to play.

Now he's using Steam and the Source engine so he doesn't have to pay anything to Valve, so the situation here is different. But the point about the publisher model stands. That's why I'm happy to pay the same price to download a game and give more money to developers.

Sure, game stores have sales and you can probably pick up the game cheaper at retail a couple of weeks after release. I think Valve needs to look at reducing prices over time. But if we're talking $5-$10 difference, I'm happy to help out the developers. It's like a small tip for a job well done, and it's hardly gonna send me bankrupt.

News Comments > TrackMania United Unveiled
25. Re: MP? Jul 2, 2006, 06:59 Squirmer

It would be hypocritical of me to critcise someone for piracy. I just think that if you don't want to support something, you should leave it alone. Downloading it, maybe sharing it to other people while using bittorrent, and then perhaps talking about it to other people or on internet forums just spreads attention about it. A boycott seems more effective if you just ignore it altogether. Don't give them money or attention.

News Comments > TrackMania United Unveiled
23. Re: MP? Jul 2, 2006, 04:09 Squirmer

If you wanted to boycott it, you could just not play it. If you download and play a game does it even count as a boycott?

News Comments > The Late Show
6. Re: so sweet Jun 30, 2006, 03:21 Squirmer

This game should be of interest to people who enjoyed games like Deus Ex and Thief. Randy Smith (designer on all 3 Thief games) has said this:

Iím biased because I worked on it (only a little!), but Dark Messiah of Might & Magic was my favorite game at the show - it was beautiful with a strong sense of identity, and the fast-paced, sword and sorcery brawls with orcs made amazing use of the environment to give the player a feeling of ownership of the encounters. Really the guys at Arkane are pulling off things that we would have liked to accomplish at Looking Glass and ION Storm.

I'm really looking forward to it.

News Comments > Evening Q&A
3. Re: am I the only one Jun 30, 2006, 00:49 Squirmer

It looks really boring to me. The attraction seems to be 1) 'cool' enemies and 2) 'cool' weapon effects. Neither of which holds any interest for me. If there's some other reason to play this game, I'm happy to be enlightened.

This comment was edited on Jun 30, 00:50.

News Comments > Evening Q&As
2. Re: STALKER Jun 23, 2006, 22:59 Squirmer

Hope you still have to contend with AI that can beat you to the end of the game as was originally described.

No, that's been removed, and a good thing too. Why would you want to spend 20 hours on a game only to find out you can't complete it? It was always a stupid idea.

News Comments > Need for Speed: Carbon Announced
20. Re: No subject Jun 23, 2006, 02:02 Squirmer

My favourite of the series was Porsche 2000 (or Unleashed depending on where you're from). It had the perfect balance of simulation and arcade, so the physics model was just right: not frustrating and not silly. Also the tracks were a good combination of track and road. I haven't played a racing game since that hit the right mark with me.

This comment was edited on Jun 23, 02:02.

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Happy Birthday Mrs. Blue Jun 16, 2006, 20:52 Squirmer

In the meantime, here's a rumour to despair over: http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/irrational/rumor-system-shock-3-in-the-works-181296.php The URL looks exciting, but ...

Happy birthday to all the birthday people.

News Comments > Prey Demo Next Week
3. Re: 144 hours and counting... Jun 15, 2006, 19:14 Squirmer

Gamespot premiering ... I guess I'll be getting it Thursday June 22 then.

News Comments > Next Oblivion Module Thursday
21. Re: No subject Jun 14, 2006, 04:52 Squirmer

I got bored pretty quickly with Oblivion (75 hours, sure, but much of it was dull ... and it doesn't come close to the 200-odd hours I spent on Morrowind), so I won't pay more for individual quests. I still think it's insulting to the customer base.

Bring on Dark Messiah of Might & Magic

It's a different kind of game of course, but hell yeah.

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Date
30. Re: A MUST SEE Jun 14, 2006, 04:47 Squirmer

I'm playing HL2 EP1 that I should finish tonight and even if it's of great quality, I think that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. look even better, more realistic with the texture and all those nice real time cast shadows.

I would hope so, since Stalker will be released more than 2 years after HL2. But I agree: despite all the delays, Stalker still looks very good graphically.

I also agree with venomhed. Stalker should be great if you're one vulnerable person in a hostile environment. If it makes you feel like an action hero, I'll pass.

This comment was edited on Jun 14, 04:48.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
25. Re: No subject Jun 12, 2006, 20:52 Squirmer

New Gamer PC = $2000 Monitor $500
New XBOX 360 = $500 Hidef TV $2000
same price either way you go, and dont have to upgrade a graphics card which cost as mush as the 360 every year.

In my post I said I can't afford a 360 in addition to keeping my PC up to date. It's not a choice for me; I'm a PC gamer primarily so I won't simply switch to a 360.

AS far as next gen games being expensive I covered that in a previous post. There is only a $10 diff in price in the new games which is far from being obscene.

But my point is that most of the best PS2 games are now very cheap. I can save a lot of money and get a better gaming experience.

I'm not slamming the 360. I just don't see why anyone would bother paying full price for a new console. I'd rather wait for a cheaper price and better games.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
20. Re: No subject Jun 12, 2006, 18:55 Squirmer

I wouldn't call myself a 'casual' gamer, but I just bought a PS2 a couple of weeks ago. First of all because it's cheap, and so are most of the great games for it. Second because the X360 console is too expensive to buy in addition to keeping my PC up to date. Third because the 'next generation' games are obscenely expensive. And fourth because there are extremely few 360 games I'm remotely interested in ... and most of them will be out on PC anyway.

Personally I can't understand why anyone would buy a new console before at least the second round of price cuts. If you can hold off a while, you get a cheaper console and much better selection of quality games. Kind of a no brainer.

777 Comments. 39 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo