Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Squirmer

Real Name Squirmer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 28, 2002, 23:14
Total Comments 777 (Graduate)
User ID 14094

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Stealth Trailer
2. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Stealth Trailer Jul 28, 2011, 21:04 Squirmer

Wasn't this video released a week or two ago?

Anyway, stealthing should be fun, but I don't like the changes that make it Metal Gear Solid-like (radar, line of sight indicators, sound meters, alert timers, etc). I actually think stealth in DXHR is more fun without upgrading any of the radar augs, because you have to rely on your own eyes and wits instead of just playing the radar. Kinda backwards.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Aussie MA15+/R18+ Ratings Twist
4. Re: glad I don't live in SA Jul 18, 2011, 20:37 Squirmer

Asmo wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 18:16:
The SA attorney general was the stick in the mud trying to prevent a R18 rating in the first place (previous AG), now they want to scrap MA15+ and make everything R18?? A rating that doesn't even exist yet for games?

It's a different AG now. The stick in the mud was Michael Atkinson, a totally unreasonable man. The new one is John Rau, who at least has been open to the possibility of an R rating.

I actually agree with him in part. It's ridiculous that Australia has two 15+ ratings (one 'recommended' and one 'restricted'). But personally I would scrap the M rating and keep the MA rating, maybe some slight tweaks to the criteria to better balance them.

But it would have to be done nationally. One state doing this on their own is a terrible idea for the reasons pointed out in the article. It disadvantages South Australian retailers, because all those gamers aged 15-17 who want an MA rated game will just buy online instead (from an Aus retailer or from overseas). And having a game rated differently in different states is a headache for advertisers and box manufacturers: will there need to be two ratings on every magazine ad, and on every box?

And of course if you're going to scrap a rating it should be done for films too. Just doing this for games is a strange move, suggesting that games are somehow different in some unexplained way.

News Comments > Dishonored Revealed
24. Re: Dishonored Revealed Jul 8, 2011, 04:42 Squirmer

Creston wrote on Jul 7, 2011, 18:04:
It's a game that's going to rock every other game ever made out of existence, and then when it doesn't, Harvey is going to whine and blame someone else the customer for not being smart enough to get his deep visions.

Creston

Do you have a source for when he blamed customers for not 'getting it'? No?

News Comments > Tomasz Gop Leaves CD Projekt RED, Interview
10. Re: Tomasz Gop Leaves CD Projekt RED, Interview Jun 21, 2011, 02:19 Squirmer

I find it very interesting if you look at the stats on Steam, less that half the Steam players have finished chapter 1. 47.6% to be exact. Only 28.2% of Steam users have finished the game.

That's not unusual for a game of this type. Take a look at the stats of other RPGs and you'll probably find similar results. New Vegas, for instance: only 63% of people have completed the first main quest you get. Only 64% of people have even recruited a companion. Wanna guess how many people have finished the penultimate quest in the main quest line? Only 23%, less than one quarter.

Just Cause 2 is even worse, only 21% of people have finished the story for that game. And take a look at how low the completion stats are for Half-Life 2.

I'd say The Witcher 2 is doing pretty well considering it's comparatively complex and difficult (at least before the patch).

I disagree with just about every criticism you have about the game, too, so don't accuse everyone who likes it of being wowed by the graphics. That kind of dismissal is childish.

News Comments > Penumbra: Black Plague Announced
2. Re: Hmm... Sep 13, 2007, 11:32 Squirmer

That's a shame, it sounds like they had trouble maintaining the episodic release schedule. Overture is a very nice game, so I'll be checking this one out.

News Comments > WoW Extended Maintenance
15. Re: No subject Aug 12, 2007, 20:22 Squirmer

I dont care what it states in their eula, they should reimburse customers for this kind of downtime.

With a $15/month subscription, 48 hours downtime amounts to $1. Does it really matter?

News Comments > Evening Q&As
2. Re: No subject Jul 6, 2007, 20:14 Squirmer

LOTRO isn't 'upcoming', it's been out a couple of months.

News Comments > Lord of the Rings Online Patch Notes
10. Re: No subject Jun 13, 2007, 19:49 Squirmer

LOTRO's engine reminds me of Guild Wars for how smooth and stable it is. My PC's tech is almost two years old now, and I'm running the game at 1280x1024 with 4xAA, and it's beautiful. Oh yeah, I must be a shill right?

News Comments > BioShock: The Shooter
3. Re: No subject Apr 30, 2007, 11:03 Squirmer

It's funny how genres work. They certainly help people figure out what games are and help them decide whether or not to pick something up and try it out.

That's the important bit. Calling BioShock a shooter is a marketing thing. It's much smarter to call it a shooter than 'a game based on a great game that you probably didn't play and haven't heard of'. It might not have quite the same level of gameplay possibilities in terms of hacking and stealth as Shock 2 (maybe), but it's certainly not run of the mill.

GTA asked questions about what it means to be a driving game ("why do you have to go round and round a closed track?") and that turned the genre on its head. We're trying to do the same thing for the shooter genre by adding non-linear exploration, choice of tools, deeper interactions with AIs and so on.

That's the other bit we should be paying attention to. I don't know why people are getting all nervous when a developer makes it quite clear they're doing something new and innovative.

This comment was edited on Apr 30, 11:03.

News Comments > New Penumbra: Overture Demo
4. Re: How Apr 12, 2007, 19:39 Squirmer

The previous demo was just a Tech Demo. This is of the actual game game; while there are similarities in them.

Blue is referring to the earlier Episode One demo released a month or so ago. Presumably this new one fixes some bugs or something.

I'm really enjoying Penumbra. I haven't finished Episode One because I installed Vista and haven't got around to reinstalling it yet, but it's a really engaging game.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Penumbra: Overture
3. Re: Mar 30, 2007, 21:39 Squirmer

Not only uselessly picky, but also plain wrong. Oops.

News Comments > Determinance Demo
4. Re: Uhm... Feb 16, 2007, 17:56 Squirmer

Analogue control just means there are no preset combos. Along the lines of Die by the Sword, but different.

News Comments > The Crossing Revealed
3. Re: No subject Dec 23, 2006, 17:10 Squirmer

Arkane is great. Their games are buggier than a tropical summer, but they always make me excited.

News Comments > Czechs Ahoy - Armed Assault
15. Re: Op-FP Nov 14, 2006, 08:00 Squirmer

In fairness to Bohemia, they did release an Xbox version of OFP and have been busy developing military versions of its software. Armed Assault will benefit from its VBS efforts.

News Comments > CCP & White Wolf Merge
21. Re: Eve Offline Nov 12, 2006, 07:13 Squirmer

Its not like EVE is pushing the envelope of graphics anyway.

Isn't it? I don't play many MMOGs, but I can't think of a better looking one.

News Comments > Dark Messiah of Might & Magic Patches
15. Re: No subject Nov 8, 2006, 19:18 Squirmer

I don't believe people are not having any technical issues with the game? How long is your loading take? If it's not excessive than do you get stuttering sound as soon as a level finishes loading and people are talking during a custscene?

I was actually surprised to hear so many people reporting problems, because the game ran beautifully for me. Loading times are no longer than Half-Life 2's. I do get some minor stuttering when I first load the game, but it generally only happens once, and then it's fine for the rest of the session, and there's no stuttering during cutscenes. (Stuttering is worse if I use high-res textures, but I turned those down to medium and it's fine now.) I get 50-70 fps, and it only crashed once the whole time I played.

I have a decent PC, but nothing stellar (3700+, 2 gigs RAM, 7800GT).

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - RoboBlitz
17. Re: Unreal 3 Nov 7, 2006, 18:57 Squirmer

Maybe you'll change your misguided opinion when you realize that the PC version is ~178MB.

Not really, no. Considering most new games are multiple gigabytes, a 178MB Unreal Engine 3 game is an impressive achievement I think. There's some really interesting technology in this game.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - RoboBlitz
12. Re: Unreal 3 Nov 7, 2006, 17:09 Squirmer

Really? So tell me why it looks like 5 year old graphics at best.

Maybe you'll change your opinion when you realise the game is under 50MB in total. The textures are procedurally generated and they changed a number of things to make it under 50MB because they're releasing it over Xbox Live Arcade.

I think this game looks really fun.

News Comments > JoWooD to Acquire DreamCatcher
6. Re: No subject Nov 4, 2006, 18:51 Squirmer

I don't know, JoWood at least publishes titles that bigger American publishers would never dare to touch. Maybe a lot of them turn out shitty, but the occasional gem makes it worthwhile.

News Comments > Dark Messiah of Might and Magic Patch Plans
16. Re: No subject Nov 3, 2006, 22:10 Squirmer

I've no idea why performance is so varied, but I get 50-70fps and it's only crashed once. I must have gotten lucky.

777 Comments. 39 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo