Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Squirmer

Real Name Squirmer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 28, 2002, 23:14
Total Comments 763 (Graduate)
User ID 14094

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > CCP & White Wolf Merge
21. Re: Eve Offline Nov 12, 2006, 07:13 Squirmer

Its not like EVE is pushing the envelope of graphics anyway.

Isn't it? I don't play many MMOGs, but I can't think of a better looking one.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dark Messiah of Might & Magic Patches
15. Re: No subject Nov 8, 2006, 19:18 Squirmer

I don't believe people are not having any technical issues with the game? How long is your loading take? If it's not excessive than do you get stuttering sound as soon as a level finishes loading and people are talking during a custscene?

I was actually surprised to hear so many people reporting problems, because the game ran beautifully for me. Loading times are no longer than Half-Life 2's. I do get some minor stuttering when I first load the game, but it generally only happens once, and then it's fine for the rest of the session, and there's no stuttering during cutscenes. (Stuttering is worse if I use high-res textures, but I turned those down to medium and it's fine now.) I get 50-70 fps, and it only crashed once the whole time I played.

I have a decent PC, but nothing stellar (3700+, 2 gigs RAM, 7800GT).

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - RoboBlitz
17. Re: Unreal 3 Nov 7, 2006, 18:57 Squirmer

Maybe you'll change your misguided opinion when you realize that the PC version is ~178MB.

Not really, no. Considering most new games are multiple gigabytes, a 178MB Unreal Engine 3 game is an impressive achievement I think. There's some really interesting technology in this game.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - RoboBlitz
12. Re: Unreal 3 Nov 7, 2006, 17:09 Squirmer

Really? So tell me why it looks like 5 year old graphics at best.

Maybe you'll change your opinion when you realise the game is under 50MB in total. The textures are procedurally generated and they changed a number of things to make it under 50MB because they're releasing it over Xbox Live Arcade.

I think this game looks really fun.

News Comments > JoWooD to Acquire DreamCatcher
6. Re: No subject Nov 4, 2006, 18:51 Squirmer

I don't know, JoWood at least publishes titles that bigger American publishers would never dare to touch. Maybe a lot of them turn out shitty, but the occasional gem makes it worthwhile.

News Comments > Dark Messiah of Might and Magic Patch Plans
16. Re: No subject Nov 3, 2006, 22:10 Squirmer

I've no idea why performance is so varied, but I get 50-70fps and it's only crashed once. I must have gotten lucky.

News Comments > Dark Messiah of Might and Magic Patch Plans
14. Re: No subject Nov 3, 2006, 18:39 Squirmer

Why does everyone compare it to Oblivion? They're quite a bit different...

The developers never did, that's for sure. A lot of people compared it to Oblivion because OB had just been released when the marketing hype began for Dark Messiah. No one from Arkane or Ubisoft even implied it was anything like Oblivion, but people made the assumption based on screenshots and the label 'RPG' being used in some previews. Reading a couple of sentences about the game would have set things straight, but reading's too much effort I guess.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
27. Re: I like Steam but... Oct 25, 2006, 20:31 Squirmer

this game looks like a Oblivion rip off, minus the smarts

pass

What are you judging it on? One screenshot? It's a very different kind of game.

News Comments > Gold - Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
15. Re: No subject Oct 9, 2006, 19:16 Squirmer

I would guess that Steam is only of interest for people in countries where the game will not be available at the time of the US/Euro launch (like in the Asia/Pacific region where people might be happy to get their hands on it this way).

Depends on exchange rates. I'm in Australia and I'll save between $10 and $20 if I buy from Steam (which I have already). The Steam version is about A$69, and the retail version costs $90 (though you could find it for $80 pretty easily). So it's a significant saving.

Also, I'm more willing to buy a game on Steam just so more money goes to the game companies instead of retailers. I don't expect everyone else to care, but I do. It would be nice if Steam versions cost a bit less, but if they reduced the Steam price the game companies would still not see any extra money, so ... what would be the point?

(But will Ubisoft actually pass some extra money onto Arkane or will the publisher keep all the extra for themselves? Who knows.)

This comment was edited on Oct 9, 19:16.

News Comments > Free Prey Content Plans
11. Re: No subject Sep 16, 2006, 09:56 Squirmer

I guess we have Xbox Live to thank for free post-release content becoming big news. Time was when it was a given.

News Comments > Evening Q&As
8. Re: counting down for DEFCON Sep 7, 2006, 18:16 Squirmer

Still, looking forwards to Bioshock (looks decent...but how will it play with it's nazi laboratory?)

It has nothing to do with Nazis.

News Comments > Left Behind Beta Demo
50. Re: No subject Sep 1, 2006, 20:49 Squirmer

I personally think The Iliad has far more to say about the human condition and the tragic nature of life than does the Bible. Plus, the Iliad has been influencing our culture for even longer than the Bible. No one reads the classics anymore so this is all probably a mute point.

You're talking about the merits of the books themselves, but I'm talking about how they've been used over the years. I think few people have based their entire lives around The Iliad or used it to justify all their actions.

I hope people realise that I said the most significant book, not the best or most worthwhile or anything else. It has nothing to do with their intrinsic value.

38. Re: No subject Sep 1, 2006, 10:59 Squirmer

Are you serious?
If so you must have a very limited reading list, like say The Bible and possible some violent condoning version, like say the fools of this left behind crap?

Yes I'm serious, and I haven't read the Bible in full (only parts of it) and I don't go to church. I'm talking about humanity in general, not you in particular and not me either. Why are you so offended?

In your opinion, what book has been more significant in the last 2000 years?

Is there a single original story in the The Bible?

Why is that important? Shakespeare took many of his plays from other sources, and yet they're still performed today. Is complete originality a requirement for reproduction? Kind of a paradoxical proposition, isn't it?

Everything including dates and names are taken from other religions.

So?

It was clearly written to suppress women and even though Jesus says turn away from violence my way is the way and helping the oppressed, infirmed and even prisoners.

So?

You have psychotics condoning killing, torture and genocide (especially the fools that made this game) calling themselves christians.

So?

You really haven't addressed what I said, just used it as a window to repeat some memorised responses.

News Comments > Battlestar Galactica & Double Fine Game Plans
5. Re: XBOX BSG Sep 1, 2006, 10:51 Squirmer

BSG is a great show. I bought the season 1 & 2 boxsets the other week planning to watch them gradually over the next couple of months. I plowed through them in a week.

News Comments > Just Cause Dated
11. Re: Awesome! Sep 1, 2006, 03:21 Squirmer

All games suck now, especially here.

I thought the Just Cause demo was great fun. I might end up getting the PS2 version though, if the graphics aren't too nerfed. It's a game for sitting back and having a laugh, which most people here can't seem to do.

19. Re: No subject Aug 31, 2006, 18:09 Squirmer

I don't know why people are so opposed to Christian-themed games. The Bible is probably the most significant book in the history of humanity, and it's full of great stories ripe for adaptation. And if you don't like it, you don't have to play it, so why be offended by its mere existence?

News Comments > Dark Messiah Steam & LE Plans
7. Re: No subject Aug 31, 2006, 18:02 Squirmer

As I've said before, I'm happy to pay the same price on Steam because the makers of the game will see more revenue without the retail costs. Although in this case who knows how much extra Ubi will take instead of Arkane.

Anyway, Steam is still cheaper than retail for me, because I'm in Australia. At the current exchange rate, US$50 is about AU$65. At retail stores in Australia, Dark Messiah will be sold for $80-$90, so Steam is a significant saving.

News Comments > Penumbra Announced
6. Re: No subject Aug 25, 2006, 00:33 Squirmer

The tech demo was pretty impressive. Being able to directly 'handle' objects in the environment makes it almost like a cross mix of FPS and point and click adventure. Even when there are no enemies around, interacting with the environment is very engaging.

News Comments > On Armed Assault's Delay
13. Re: No subject Aug 22, 2006, 05:36 Squirmer

The game's been delayed by only a few months at most. Is it really possible to dramatically change the graphics and AI in that time, or is this just an excuse because they're having problems?

Don't get me wrong, I'm really looking forward to AA, but at the moment I'm not quite buying this explanation.

The smoke looks photoshopped or something too.

News Comments > Armed Assault 2 Delay
12. Re: Arma 2? Aug 18, 2006, 20:14 Squirmer

CodeMasters owns the "Operation Flashpoint" name, I think.

I know, I'm just referring to the news headline: 'Armed Assault 2'.

763 Comments. 39 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo