Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Squirmer

Real Name Squirmer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 28, 2002, 23:14
Total Comments 725 (Apprentice)
User ID 14094

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
27. Re: etc. Oct 7, 2014, 21:19 Squirmer

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Oct 7, 2014, 13:31:
The problem with that is Alexander's article was purposefully on the offensive.
Yes it was, but you have to see in context. She has been receiving abuse for the things she writes for years. Literally years.

You excuse gamers getting angry at her in response. You presumably excuse Prez calling her a "worthless sack of shit" in this thread. Why can't you also excuse her anger?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Alien: Isolation
11. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Alien: Isolation Oct 6, 2014, 19:29 Squirmer

saluk wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 19:27:
"Mixed" reviews? The only reviews I see on metacritic below 80 are not in english. Unless you count IGN or Gamespot. Which I don't. Reviews on steam are mostly positive, though obviously just reviews of the first part. Sure I'm still gonna wait - probably for potential winter sale - but it's looking pretty up for the alien license for a change.
And we all know non-English speakers have nothing of value to add to the world.

News Comments > etc.
22. Re: etc. Oct 5, 2014, 20:23 Squirmer

ASeven wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 16:50:
Prez wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 16:15:
I agree that the issue has gotten somewhat convoluted (partially by design on the part of the self-righteous crusaders who like building strawmen then later cutting them down) but I have to agree with Redmask. My fear is that if we don't at least occasionally offer up some significant resistance to the absolute face-palm stupid things the hyprocritical crusading thought police are pushing we may be sorry we didn't later on down the road. Beamer is wrong; they don't just want the occasional game with a strong female lead. They want far more than that, and without someone offering counterpoint to their idiocy, developers and publishers may eventually start listening to them. That's my opinion anyway.

They want what all moral movements in history ever wanted, control and power. Power to dictate what can be said and written and what not. Power to stop the production of anything they don't like.

They are the typical representation of thought police and anyone who knows a bit of history or sociology can tell, thought police movements never bring any good to society, never. From the Volstead Act of 1919 to Nazi Germany and their race ideology to the witch hunts of McCarthy, history has shown that anyone using any kind of "moral" ideology to push their own agenda has ended up bringing misery upon society. SJWs are a reflection of the thought police movement, self-described oppressed people who suffered some sort of oppression, be it real or imagined, and are now using it as an excuse to restrict, censor and mold society to their own ideology with the end results always being terrible.

This is why SJWs must not be allowed to keep spreading their hate-filled speech lest gaming suffers a backward leap so huge it may set the industry decades until it recovers.

For a final insight and a bit of a laugh, I leave this picture as an example. Take your own conclusions.
Seriously man, if you believe this stuff you're just delusional. The "SJWs" are calling to give a voice to people who historically have lacked a voice. It's the total opposite of censorship and thought policing.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
34. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 5, 2014, 19:16 Squirmer

Quinn wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 19:13:
Very underwhelmed with SoM. It's too easy, and you're doing the same shit the entire time. The game is as shallow as a puddle. There are a lot of weapon sidequest but they all end up with you either having to shoot uruks, stealth-kill uruks or kill uruks in open battle. Every uruk can identify a special uruk for you, though only worms and special uruks can reveal their weaknesses. The latter is useless, because you could basically kill 5 warchiefs in one battle with one hand while playing Plants vs Zombies with the other.

The entire game you're basically killing uruks or let them kill eachother, and collect shit. I'm surprised the game is being received so fucking well.
How far into it are you? The basic uruks are easy to fight, but once the ones with shields and the ones that block your attacks appear, it gets harder.

News Comments > Game Reviews
14. Re: Game Reviews Oct 4, 2014, 19:50 Squirmer

The criticisms about the shifting goal posts and boring objectives make it sound a lot like Bioshock. And the alien spawning here and there sounds like the behavior of big daddies.  

News Comments > Op Ed
31. Re: Op Ed Oct 1, 2014, 18:50 Squirmer

Leper wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 11:14:
Who thinks it's going to be a mainstream hit? I haven't heard any buzz outside of the gaming industry. It's a niche product and I don't think even Facebook thinks that it will be profitable, at least for a while. It sounded like Zuckerberg thought it was cool and decided to throw some money at it as a side project.

"the future of entertainment and communication" <- actual quote from an Oculus employee. They're not aiming for this to be niche. In fact if you look at articles about the Facebook acquisition, you'll notice Zuckerberg and co are careful to downplay the videogame part. They think games will be the first step, but Facebook didn't buy it because they think the games are cool.

The article is wrong that it'll be a "commercial failure", but nor will it be the future of entertainment or communication.

If the Playstation 5 and Xbox 78 (just following MS's numbering scheme here) bundle VR tech it might get some gaming legs ... But consoles went all out on motion controls too and no one gives a shit about motion control any more. We shouldn't assume VR games will be anything more than a sideshow either. An interesting niche, but still a niche.

VR is well suited to certain kinds of games, but is badly suited to others, or will be an inconvenience. If you think about the most popular games, they tend to be badly suited to VR. GTA games, for example, are third person, as are a great many popular console games. Anything that's not first person doesn't get much benefit, and when you have a piece of technology that places such extreme limits on the kinds of programs that can be developed for it, you have to be wary.

Even something like Minecraft. It's fun to play in VR, but the appeal of Minecraft is not being wowed by its virtual environment. The appeal of Minecraft is in building things, and if VR doesn't enhance that moment-to-moment gameplay (or even hampers it), people will stop using VR once the novelty wears off.

Flight/space sims will benefit from it because in those games your plane flies in one direction while you need to turn the camera to track targets. That actually has gameplay benefits. But that's not the case with most games.

News Comments > The Vanishing of Ethan Carter Appears
9. Re: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter Appears Sep 26, 2014, 20:02 Squirmer

So it's Myst basically.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
28. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 25, 2014, 19:11 Squirmer

harlock wrote on Sep 25, 2014, 11:23:
If this is who I'm making games for, it makes me wonder why the hell I should.

THEN FUCKING DONT!! good riddance, bitch

no, seriously... fuck off and go cry about it
Great job demonstrating Lewis's Law.

It's extraordinary that in a thread where this person has called someone a "bitch", there are other people trying to deny that this kind of attack even happens. MAYBE HARLOCK IS A FALSE FLAG ATTACK.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
27. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 25, 2014, 19:01 Squirmer

Julio wrote on Sep 25, 2014, 18:34:
the SJW crew trying to turn gaming into a bland, boring anti-male industry
Irrational, conspiratorial nonsense. You can't even point to any examples of how they've ruined anything.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 25, 2014, 18:53 Squirmer

I'm guessing they will announce an expansion fairly soon, or at least a larger content release. Most of the 300+ employee studio seems to be tied up with something, but they won't say what it is.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Sep 23, 2014, 22:41 Squirmer

They're not "scraping" though, these are genuinely high-up and powerful positions. And the fact that "nobody" has heard of them is telling.  

News Comments > Steam Discovery Update
3. Re: Steam Discovery Update Sep 22, 2014, 20:14 Squirmer

Only problem with this is there are so many ways to describe what a game is like, or what it's about, or how it plays. I was recommended "open world" games, but there are so many different kinds. Does "open world" mean "GTA-like", or "4X-like", or "Minecraft-like"...

Zombie games all seemed to be grouped together by theme despite big design differences.

And no, I'm not interested in "Pool Nation" because I "recently viewed Mountain", thanks.

Still, this seems to be additional ways of finding games on top of what existed before, so I guess it can't hurt.

News Comments > Op Ed
45. Re: Op Ed Sep 16, 2014, 03:08 Squirmer

RPS didn't post that article in a vacuum.  

News Comments > Op Ed
40. Re: Op Ed Sep 15, 2014, 20:09 Squirmer

ASeven wrote on Sep 15, 2014, 13:24:
#GamerGate explained in 5 minutes or less. A nice infographic doing an overview of the whole thing.
The timeline here is so wrong. The "gamers are dead" articles started appearing after abuse was heaped on Quinn for her moral indiscretions after her ex posted that kind of psychotic public blog post. This stuff about journalism ethics (while it has been known and discussed for a long time) was in this instance a pushback against the "gamers are dead" stuff, not the other way around. It was a way to attack journalists after they attacked the gamer identity.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Sep 15, 2014, 10:34 Squirmer

Try this: https://plus.google.com/+DavidHillJr/posts/fT3tNRVWL3o

So, corruption in journalism. Can I let you in on a secret?

We want to have that conversation. We all do, with maybe a couple of exceptions. This is a conversation we've tried to have, and wanted to have for years.

But you won't find any other support for gamergate in there. This part is very true, and the gamergaters need to understand it:

That's how independent artists work in pretty much every creative field. They can't compete with the game industry, so they're trying to carve out their own little micro industry, where they do their own things and have a captive audience.

The people being targeted the most are small names, on the fringe of the industry.

There's plenty to say about corruption involving game journalism and big game companies. But that's not what gamergate is really about. Even if you want it to be about that, you can't separate it from the toxic abuse the "movement" is widely known for. Gamergate will never lose that association.

Read the whole post.

News Comments > AU Game Price Inflation
1. Re: AU Game Price Inflation Sep 12, 2014, 09:46 Squirmer

Presumably due to pressure from local distributors.  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
7. Re: Evening Interviews Sep 10, 2014, 03:19 Squirmer

In fairness, I do think the situation would be helped by more acknowledgement and understanding of why a lot of men feel they are being personally accused. (Also applies to gamergate.)  

6. Re: Evening Interviews Sep 10, 2014, 03:12 Squirmer

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 00:47:
Squirmer wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 23:11:
He says he wants open dialog without any accusations and namecalling and then says

"So, excuse me if I donít buy irrational feminists white and black ideas that men are inherently rapists and women are victims."

He's not making any accusations or namecalling, there is a swath of feminists who are doing exactly that. Hell I could walk onto any frosh here in Ontario this last weekend and seen it in full action. Extremist views like those don't deserve any recognition.

No it's the same problem with this whole "gamer" thing.

Look I'm not saying no one has ever voiced the opinion that he criticizes. But he implies that "men are inherently rapists" is the dominant discourse. It's just not, and anyone who thinks it is doesn't understand the issue.

The way it usually goes is this: A feminist writer describes a problem such as catcalling, or sexual harassment at work, or underreporting of rape, and suggests there's a cultural issue that needs to be addressed. Then men converge on the article and declare "But not all men do those things, I've never seen this happen, don't accuse me of this!" etc. Which is not at all what the writer did. It's those men who are lumping all men together, and then using themselves as proof that the writer's claim is wholly false.

The irony is that by trying to dismiss the writer's claim or downplay the issue, they are proving that there is indeed a cultural issue that needs to be addressed.

Same thing is happening with this gamergate stuff.

2. Re: Evening Interviews Sep 9, 2014, 23:11 Squirmer

He says he wants open dialog without any accusations and namecalling and then says

"So, excuse me if I donít buy irrational feminists white and black ideas that men are inherently rapists and women are victims."

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed Sep 9, 2014, 01:53 Squirmer

PropheT wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 00:43:
It isn't most people but it's still aimed at all of us, and it's gotten really fucking old.
That's pretty hard to avoid I think. If someone has a problem with a certain "community" or "culture" (very broadly defined) and criticises it, then everyone who considers themselves a part of that community is necessarily being "attacked" in some way. I suppose the difference is that some people will agree that their community/culture has problems, while others will take it more personally.

But there's a flipside to that: if you consider yourself part of a community/culture, you must concede that you help to shape it in some small way. And that supports Alexander's argument that people have a responsibility to address problems. In the end, the only people that really have a right to complain are those who genuinely believe there are no problems in gaming culture.

725 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo