Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Squirmer

Real Name Squirmer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 28, 2002, 23:14
Total Comments 638 (Apprentice)
User ID 14094

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
20. Re: No subject Jun 12, 2006, 18:55 Squirmer

I wouldn't call myself a 'casual' gamer, but I just bought a PS2 a couple of weeks ago. First of all because it's cheap, and so are most of the great games for it. Second because the X360 console is too expensive to buy in addition to keeping my PC up to date. Third because the 'next generation' games are obscenely expensive. And fourth because there are extremely few 360 games I'm remotely interested in ... and most of them will be out on PC anyway.

Personally I can't understand why anyone would buy a new console before at least the second round of price cuts. If you can hold off a while, you get a cheaper console and much better selection of quality games. Kind of a no brainer.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Oblivion Patch Soon
28. Re: ... Jun 4, 2006, 00:23 Squirmer

The mechanics are very good but most importantly the atmosphere is right - it has a character to it.

I completely disagree, and I think it's Oblivion's biggest problem: it has no character. It's a generic fantasy world where everything -- the environment, the people, the architecture -- looks the same. Spend half an hour walking around the Imperial City and surrounding country, take in a beautiful sunset and set foot into any old dungeon and you've seen the entire game.

Contrast that to Morrowind, which had a hugely diverse world to explore with places you didn't even feel safe to venture until you'd played for dozens of hours. It's a stark difference. Morrowind was a believeable world, while Oblivion is totally artificial.

This comment was edited on Jun 4, 00:25.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - DropTeam
16. Re: No subject Jun 2, 2006, 19:47 Squirmer

Instead I am forced to download small clips of gameplay FROM AUSTRALIA.

Boohoo, now you know how the rest of the world feels being forced to download from the US.

News Comments > The Late Show
1. Episode 2 Jun 1, 2006, 22:39 Squirmer

Not great marketing here. I like the idea of episodic games personally, but with all the scepticism about it Valve shouldn't be advertising the second episode on the day the first comes out. It's like saying, 'You've got the first, but it's not finished yet. Buy this one too!'

News Comments > New Oblivion Quest Coming
1. No subject Jun 1, 2006, 22:35 Squirmer

Hmm, price rise. I wonder how badly that will go down.

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Games Journalism Jun 1, 2006, 21:36 Squirmer

That's a rubbish article. Apart from missing the point numerous times, being 'as objective as possible' about an inherently subjective experience is pointless.

4. Re: ... May 31, 2006, 10:49 Squirmer

I can't speak for anyone else, but I liked Alyx because she seemed real, not like some typical cliched game chick. But these videos represent her as exactly that: some 'cool' chick. I hope they're not indicative of Alyx in the game.

2. Re: HL2 Videos May 31, 2006, 07:53 Squirmer

Valve, you lose at cool. Whoever is making these videos needs to go back to his day job.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
5. Re: Wii price $250? May 27, 2006, 21:05 Squirmer

They said the price will not exceed US$250 or 25000 yen. The news article probably misunderstood that statement. Nintendo has hinted that the price will be US$199 by telling people to look at their previous console launch prices -- which have been $199.

3. Re: No subject May 26, 2006, 01:38 Squirmer

Yeah I'm really looking forward to the game, but these videos are pretty awful.

News Comments > Morning Q&As
18. Re: No subject May 25, 2006, 18:48 Squirmer

Scrapland was made by many of the same people who made Severance: Blade of Darkness. It's a very different setting.

News Comments > Oblivion Thieves Den
13. Re: No subject May 23, 2006, 06:57 Squirmer

Maybe they packaged 4-6 into DLC7 fearing more backlash.

In any case this one seems (without having tried it) to be much more substantial, and perhaps even worth the price if I wasn't bored stiff with Oblivion.

1. No subject May 19, 2006, 01:49 Squirmer

Hmm, the bad guy in the Dark Messiah clip looks like a clone of the movie version of Sauron ...

7. Re: No subject May 17, 2006, 09:09 Squirmer

If you think Diablo is an RPG, then I guess Hellgate is an RPG. If you think Diablo is.

The more I see of this game the more it looks terribly boring. Running around random maps killing wave after wave of repetitive monsters. I don't see the attraction.

News Comments > New Source Map Plans
30. Re: May 16, 2006, 18:58 Squirmer

The more I think about it, the more I think that unlocking the game in the middle of E3 was done to crap out the early adopters. Note how it's been almost a week, and neither IGN nor GameSpot have a review up...

I doubt every IGN and Gamespot contributor was at E3 ... It's more likely they don't have a review because there was no publisher to mail out a review copy two weeks before it was released. If game sites have to actually pay for a game, and wait until it's released like the rest of us, their review is generally late. Funny that.

You might not like the game, but clearly plenty of people do. And I think Ritual has faith in it as well.

News Comments > New Source Map Plans
29. Re: May 16, 2006, 18:52 Squirmer

It's a good game. I don't generally like basic shooters, but Emergence was just fun. People still complaining about the length probably haven't played it. It took me 4 days on and off to finish it, and for $20 that's pretty good ... assuming you judge a game's value by how long it lasts, which you really shouldn't. I don't see how you could finish it in one sitting unless you have no other life commitments at all.

My only complaint is that it's too hard. I had to reload many times to get through certain areas, which is frustrating. Ritual is apparently working on a patch to fix that, so I look forward to playing it again when it's released.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy: SiN Episodes: Emergence
63. Re: No subject May 11, 2006, 03:12 Squirmer

I think it's one of the better shooters around right now. It's definately fun, which is the most important thing. I don't mind the price. It costs less than most DVDs and lasts longer, so I think it's reasonable value for money. I'm not sure about longitivity, though. I think Ritual is getting ahead of themselves listing 9 episodes. 4 or 5 episodes spread over 18 or 24 months, maybe, but I think I'd be bored to death if it went on any longer. It's a standard shooter, after all, and unless they start bending genres and adding really new stuff, it will get old.

News Comments > MS's Online Gaming Service
45. Re: No subject May 10, 2006, 08:49 Squirmer

What I'm concerned about is that we'll lose the freedom and customisability of online PC gaming. Do you think we'll see the same kind of diverse content if we have to use Microsoft's service? The same customised servers running various mods, and so on? These are genuine questions, because I'm not sure what kind of effect it will have.

News Comments > MS's Online Gaming Service
14. Re: No subject May 9, 2006, 20:58 Squirmer

It sounds like this will encourage more cross-platform games, and as we know from experience there are very few good cross-platform games. I'm not jumping over the moon about this.

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: OMFG what a Moron May 8, 2006, 21:12 Squirmer

This reads like a fake to me, with all the spelling and grammar errors. And this:

During your interview, Thompson also gives antidotes from his new book, "Out of Harm's Way" (Tyndale House Publishers).

Antidotes?

638 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo