Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Squirmer

Real Name Squirmer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 28, 2002, 23:14
Total Comments 926 (Graduate)
User ID 14094

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped
173. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 17, 2014, 00:29 Squirmer

Cutter wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 00:16:
walrus1 wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 20:37:
  • Beamer wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 20:29:
    Cutter wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 18:35:
    I was looking forward to this game. I was all set to buy it for Xmas. This is going to cost them a metric shit ton of sales. What happens to the company if the vast majority of backers demand their money back? Company folds then there's no game at all. Fuck if some lawsuits don't roll out from this.

We need to keep a running tally on how often Cutter claims there will be a class action lawsuit over something on the internet.
    Guy loves his lawsuits.

In this case he might be very well right. This is a case of fraud and might very well end up in court.

Yeah, because America isn't the land of lawsuits. Jesus, why do you people not have that troll on ignore?
    Probs the same reason they don't have you on ignore, even though you're literally an insane person.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
    5. Re: etc. Nov 16, 2014, 16:50 Squirmer

Human Revolution was a pale imitation. It had the makings of a good Deus Ex game but they were drowned in cinematic crap, bad augmentation design, horrendous level design, and shitty writing. It was the studio's first game so we'll see what they do next time.  

News Comments > Star Citizen 8GB Requirement Won't Change "Any Time Soon"; DX10 Support Unlikely
    38. Re: Star Citizen 8GB Requirement Won't Change Nov 14, 2014, 18:15 Squirmer

Steam's hardware survey says about 40% of people have 8GB or more. By the time the game is released, it should be plenty more.  

News Comments > Op Ed
    4. Re: Op Ed Nov 13, 2014, 20:39 Squirmer

Interesting perspective from Double Fine, which I guess is a "mid-sized" developer

Similarly unimportant when it comes to moving the needle on sales was the traditional gaming press. Bailey said when he first arrived at Double Fine, one of his big misconceptions was that the press would have a huge impact on sales. Even with the company's Double Fine Presents publishing service, Bailey had expected that simply including these other games in Double Fine's press list would help them get a lot more traction and exposure, but that didn't pan out.

News Comments > etc.
    26. Re: etc. Nov 11, 2014, 16:55 Squirmer

I was pretty caustic a week or so ago when I said GG was done with, and my post was deleted, but yeah, GG is dead. It achieved nothing but to reinforce the wider perception that gamers are pathetic social outliers, so gg to GG for that.

If you think GG still has any value, you must live a very insular life in that echo chamber that Damion Schubert mentioned. The movement has been an utter failure.

News Comments > etc.
    25. Re: etc. Nov 11, 2014, 16:49 Squirmer

Necrophob wrote on Nov 11, 2014, 12:23:
    Of course no AAA is going to come out pro-gamergate. That's just bad business. Let's just set aside the fact that it's the AAA's that have marginalized and objectified women in their games this whole time in the first place.
    Ah, good to see you support Sarkeesian's video series where she examines this.

News Comments > Game Awards 2014 Next Month
    8. Re: Game Awards 2014 Next Month Nov 11, 2014, 04:32 Squirmer

There are plenty of book awards, they're just not celebrity worship like the Oscars or consumer bullshit like game awards.  

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
    2. Re: If Twitter Won’t Handle Its Massive Harassment Problem, These Women Will. Nov 8, 2014, 19:32 Squirmer

What are you afraid of?  

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Requires 64-bit OS
    39. Re: Far Cry 4 Requires 64-bit OS Nov 6, 2014, 16:20 Squirmer

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 15:50:
    The price on Steam was utterly ridiculous. They wanted £50 ($80), which is an insult. As much as I love the Far Cry series I will never pay that much.

Same in Aus (that's been the case the years now). Ass Creed Unity is even worse, they want A$120 for it (US$100).

News Comments > etc., etc.
    23. Re: etc., etc. Oct 31, 2014, 02:49 Squirmer

I've had this Blues account for 12 years and have been reading the site longer than that. But if it's easier for you to believe I'm only here because of Gamergate and therefore I'm not a true Blues reader so anything I say is invalid (note the parallels if you can), you can do that.  

18. Re: etc., etc. Oct 31, 2014, 01:26 Squirmer

I'm just pointing out how everybody else sees you. Is there anybody saying "hmm those gamers raise some good points"? Nope. Even the people on your side like the Breitbart guy and that MRA website have previously dismissed games as toys for boys. You have no real allies in this.

If you want to ignore how Gamergate is actually being perceived outside of your subreddits and your multiple-of-4-chans, that's up to you. But you're not gonna get anywhere.

14. removed Oct 30, 2014, 23:19 Squirmer

* REMOVED *
    This comment was deleted on Oct 31, 2014, 07:27.

13. Re: etc., etc. Oct 30, 2014, 23:15 Squirmer

Oh I thought it started because her ex boyfriend is a fucking sociopath who enabled and encouraged an extraordinary torrent of abuse directed at her.  

20. Re: etc., etc. Oct 29, 2014, 02:01 Squirmer

You can't claim victories on behalf of "Gamergate" (like getting companies to pull advertizing) but then disavow any responsibility for abuse done in the name of the movement. Gamergate has chosen a distributed model (or rather, has deliberately chosen to not form any organization or established leadership structures which would make them accountable for anything), so they have to own up to the practices that emerge from the model they've chosen, otherwise it means nothing.

If the abuse is coming from a bunch of dickheads on the internet, then the victories are also coming from a bunch of dickheads on the internet. So I guess that's all Gamergate is.

7. Re: etc., etc. Oct 28, 2014, 21:49 Squirmer

If you ask people to imagine a "gamer" in their minds, the vast majority of people will think of a young man or teenaged boy. That's the constructed identity people are talking about.* If you are a young man or teenaged boy it all looks totally fine and normal to you, and it's hard to imagine how in/exclusionary it might look to others.

You might think a "gamer" is anyone who plays games, but the thing is, "anyone who plays games" means, by default, people who are young and male. That's not the truth, it's the fictional identity that people have in their minds.

*This is precisely why the Gamergaters invented that young girl cartoon as their figurehead: because considering a "gamer" to be that is unusual.

2. Re: etc., etc. Oct 28, 2014, 21:13 Squirmer

Welcome to language, buster.  

News Comments > etc.
    17. Re: etc. Oct 26, 2014, 18:24 Squirmer

Trouble with TB's blog post is that he seems to think the harassment is a result of gamers made angry by ethical breaches, and so addressing the ethics issue will stop the harassment.

That ignores the torrent of abuse Sarkeesian, for instance, has received for a long time. She received a bomb threat earlier this year, way before Gamergate started (and note that she didn't reveal it, which puts a lie to claims that she exploits controversy for free press).

This situation is way beyond some kind of justifiable outrage about ethics. It's absurd to claim that's all this is.

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
    50. Re: Saturday Interviews Oct 26, 2014, 05:16 Squirmer

I think you mean she does analysis. I don't know what "legitimate sources" you think she needs.  

46. Re: Saturday Interviews Oct 26, 2014, 03:04 Squirmer

Flatline wrote on Oct 25, 2014, 22:44:
    None of this shit is new. We've known about it and have talked about it for probably 20 years now. And they're real problems that need to be addressed and need to be fixed.
    Uh. Okay. Which is what Sarkeesian did. Then she got called a lying bitch who should be killed.

That's the mysterious thing about Gamergaters. When in a calm state, the gamer admits there are problems. But when someone tries to address it the gamer loses his fucking mind.

23. Re: Saturday Interviews Oct 25, 2014, 18:26 Squirmer

Good line in that NYT article.

In particular, if the large companies that make video games remain quiet, they risk allowing GamerGate to win the debate over whether diversity — of people, of ideas, of games themselves — has a place in their culture.

That's why I'm surprised the big companies haven't said anything yet. They don't want to get involved and annoy many of their customers, sure. But I'm surprised they haven't all got together and released a joint statement, because women are being actively discouraged from joining the games industry as a result of all this abuse. These companies want women in their companies, they have a stated goal of creating a diverse workforce, but they ignore something like this that's having a real, negative impact on that goal.

926 Comments. 47 pages. Viewing page 10.
    < Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo