Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Squirmer

Real Name Squirmer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 28, 2002, 23:14
Total Comments 727 (Apprentice)
User ID 14094

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
10. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 17, 2013, 16:27 Squirmer

They mean the cloud turns every Xbox into Microsoft's Xbox. You don't own shit when Microsoft controls everything.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Resident Evil 7 Outed?
8. Re: Resident Evil 7 Outed? Oct 13, 2013, 19:08 Squirmer

Costume designer?

Next we'll be seeing credits for 'set director'.

News Comments > Deus Ex Universe and New DX Game Revealed
27. Re: Deus Ex Universe and New DX Game Revealed Oct 2, 2013, 19:06 Squirmer

DX:HR is a bad game. They were taking the best game ever made as their starting point but managed to make it much worse. Awful level design, much more restrictive game systems that limited player options, poorly implemented RPG shit like XP rewards. Even if you're in it for the story, HR was so boring, with shallow characters and some nonsensical world building and character motivations. It was made by a bunch of amateurs and it shows.  

News Comments > THIEF Preorder Bonus Trailer
12. Re: THIEF Preorder Bonus Trailer Sep 25, 2013, 23:59 Squirmer

no they didn't  

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Trailer
16. Re: Elite: Dangerous Trailer Sep 15, 2013, 19:41 Squirmer

I doubt it's actual gameplay. It might be done in-engine, but the smoothness of the camera suggests they've carefully manipulated it. I wouldn't be surprised some of the effects are retouched in some way too.

Seems like it's one of those videos designed to show what they want the gameplay to be like ... but is not actually gameplay. Note that the video was used in their "composer selection process", which suggests they created a video showing what they want the game to be like so that potential composers could have something to work with.

I think the devs need to be careful. They released a "screenshot" a few weeks/months ago which they admitted was retouched too. If they start misleading their backers they're in for some pain.

13. Re: Elite: Dangerous Trailer Sep 15, 2013, 17:21 Squirmer

Actually what confuses me is why TIE Fighter and X-Wing have not been released on Steam like the Lucasarts adventure games. I guess there's some extra work to do because you'd need a joystick, but it can't be that hard to get them working with gamepads.  

12. Re: Elite: Dangerous Trailer Sep 15, 2013, 17:14 Squirmer

Fion wrote on Sep 15, 2013, 15:57:
All these space shooters in the works and not a peep about the greatest of them all: Tie Fighter (followed closely by X-Wing of course.)

Where's my fucking Tie Fighter sequel Disney? It's a cash cow in the waiting.
Yeah they'd have to be idiots to see all the millions being put down for these space games and not realise they're sitting on the ultimate space sim franchise.

Problem is, unlike these crowd-funded games which reached out to the longtime fans of the genre, anything released by Disney is bound to be aimed at a really wide audience, and we'd probably end up with a Rogue Squadron style of game -- i.e. railroaded shooting gallery instead of a fighter sim. Doesn't have to be that way (console controllers could be used just fine for a space sim) but I expect it to be.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online to Use Subscriptions
54. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online to Use Subscriptions Aug 22, 2013, 00:50 Squirmer

WoW could use subs because there was little competition at the time and it could build a large core playerbase. It's much harder to do that nowadays when there are MMOs all over the place, and many of them are free to play.

It's silly to suggest GW2 didn't have subs because they knew it was a substandard product. To believe that you have to ignore the obvious trend towards F2P, and failure of high profile subs games like SWTOR. And you have to ignore the millions of subs that WoW has lost over the last couple of years.

21. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online to Use Subscriptions Aug 21, 2013, 11:06 Squirmer

MajorD wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 10:55:
I followed the developement of this game here and there, but I don't ever remember seeing them hint towards a subscription model to have to play it, as I was lead to believe it was going to be FTP. So, they just get everyone all hyped up and excited for the game and then drop this bomb?! Stupid me, I should have known they would be charging a subscription to play it in the first place. Dunce
It was fairly clear they were going to use subscriptions because they didn't announce a business model for a long time. If they were following the Guild Wars 2 approach, "no subscription fee" would have been a good marketing line, like it was with GW2. But they said nothing, so they obviously wanted to keep this quiet for as long as they reasonably could.

20. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online to Use Subscriptions Aug 21, 2013, 11:03 Squirmer

I can't help feeling that this game is heading for disaster. They have a strong IP, but how many people will be repelled when they realise it's not actually Elder Scrolls 6 but a fairly typical MMO? They've been avoiding showing the MMO-like stuff in videos so far, instead pretending it plays just like an Elder Scrolls game, and I think a lot of people will be surprised.

Then to use the outdated model of subscriptions, knowing how many other games have switched for F2P to survive, AND then adding the extra complexity of developing for multiple platforms ... They've got their work cut out for them.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed
26. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 16, 2013, 19:40 Squirmer

Cutter wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 11:24:
Yeah, and most everyone of those sales translated into 3-6 months of gameplay I suspect and very little else. They're just way too slow getting new content into this game. Any MMO not coming with something like the Foundry now is just stupid. Have to keep that content coming all the time regularly.
You know they release new content updates every two weeks? Granted, there's a smallish amount of content in each update, but it's still a remarkable pace. It suits their business model too, because they need people to keep logging in regularly since they don't have subscription fees to lock people in.

News Comments > Techland Opens Canadian Studio; Releases First Dying Light Gameplay Trailer
12. Re: Techland Opens Canadian Studio; Releases First Dying Light Gameplay Trailer Aug 16, 2013, 18:53 Squirmer

It looked a lot like Dishonored's movement, where if you jump to a ledge, the game is smart enough to mantle you up onto it.

The voice acting in this suggests there are scripted missions rather than an open world with exploration and decisions to be made, so that's disappointing.

News Comments > Arkane's Prey 2 Rumors Resurface
9. Re: Arkane's Prey 2 Rumors Resurface Aug 16, 2013, 04:02 Squirmer

Alternatively, journalists could be happy because they have some actual news to report.  

News Comments > Europa Universalis IV Preorder Bonus DLC Plans
2. Re: Europa Universalis IV Preorder Bonus DLC Plans Aug 6, 2013, 22:43 Squirmer

It's all free if you pre-order. That's the idea, to make people pre-order.

And if it's too expensive, wait for a 75% off Steam sale.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
13. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 31, 2013, 18:18 Squirmer

jdreyer wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 15:09:
Xbox One will be compatible with current-gen headsets, Microsoft confirms.

It's actually shocking that they didn't change the connector type and make everyone buy a new one.
They did change the connector type. Sites are reporting that Xbox 360 headsets are "compatible" -- but only through the use of an adapter which you'll need to buy from Microsoft. So don't worry, they have managed to monetize it.

News Comments > The Bureau XCOM Declassified YOLO Trailer
12. Re: The Bureau XCOM Declassified YOLO Trailer Jul 31, 2013, 18:13 Squirmer

I assume this is a joke but it's hard to tell with this game.  

News Comments > Op Ed
48. Re: Op Ed Jul 30, 2013, 10:32 Squirmer

I don't see what anonymity has to do with this anyway.

Phil Fish. Marcus Beer.

That's who was involved here, and neither are anonymous.

Fish might have been copping abuse routinely from other people too, but that's not what brought it to a head. And maybe he wouldn't cop so much abuse if he didn't act like a smug abusive asshole to other people. It's the internet; act like a prick and you should know what's about to come your way.

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Jul 29, 2013, 21:24 Squirmer

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Jul 29, 2013, 20:09:
Blade of Darkness, huh? I love that game. I have the disc version, but it's a pain in the butt to run on any OS newer than Windows 98.

Does anyone have experience running GoG Blade of Darkness on Windows 7?
Yeah it works fine for me on my ATI card. The disc version had huge problems with cutscenes not working properly etc, but the GoG version works. There's a bunch of config options you can set in the launcher so maybe just play around with those if you have any trouble.

News Comments > Redshirt Video
6. Re: Redshirt Video Jul 20, 2013, 19:19 Squirmer

I'd be interested if social networking didn't make me puke (even if this is poking fun at it).  

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Beta in October; Release Delayed
4. Re: Wasteland 2 Beta in October; Release Delayed Jul 19, 2013, 20:09 Squirmer

He means Double Fine I'm guessing. They're only releasing the first half of their game to begin with because they ran out of money.  

727 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo