Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Squirmer

Real Name Squirmer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 28, 2002, 23:14
Total Comments 672 (Apprentice)
User ID 14094

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evochron Mercenary Patch & New Demo
6. Re: Evochron Mercenary Patch & New Demo Jan 27, 2012, 20:23 Squirmer

nin wrote on Jan 27, 2012, 14:24:

Wonder why steam doesn't have the demo...

The demo is actually the full game but time limited. That might not work too well with Steam.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > More Mass Effect 3 Bonus DLC
19. Re: More Mass Effect 3 Bonus DLC Jan 26, 2012, 20:38 Squirmer

Fion wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 15:39:
Why do I get a sneaking suspicion that Bioware is worried about this game so they are throwing all kinds of bonuses at purchasers.

I don't think so. They're using the game's guaranteed success to convince their fans to buy more and more extraneous rubbish besides the game itself. Gotta maximise the profits.

News Comments > Skyrim Collector's Edition Shockingly Large
2. Re: Skyrim Collector's Edition Shockingly Large Sep 7, 2011, 21:56 Squirmer

Almost as big as the hole in your wallet.  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Q&A
31. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Q&A Aug 16, 2011, 10:29 Squirmer

Oh you guys, listen to you with your 'gameplay in service of the story' guff. This a video game. Gameplay comes first. You rewrite and mould your story around the gameplay. Some designers still get this but it seems fewer and fewer do.  

20. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Q&A Aug 16, 2011, 08:06 Squirmer

I might be trolling but I'm not begging for it.

Think of it this way. If Eidos had made this game with shadow-based stealth, would people be saying 'ooo I don't know Eidos shadow based stealth is pretty unrealistic, I don't think you should do that'. Or would they be saying 'wow, they are really staying true to the original game here, that's awesome'. I expect the latter. But because Eidos went the other way the asslickers come shuffling out declaring it genius and oh yeah Deus Ex had crappy stealth this whole time who knew.

Likewise, if Eidos made a game in which you could avoid all boss fights or find solutions to them that matched with different playstyles, would people be saying 'ooo gee Eidos, that's not a good idea you know, you need to make us kill people to create tension in the storyline!' Or would they say 'wow Eidos is really taking those Deus Ex design principles on board and making a remarkable game, that's amazing'. Again, I'm gonna guess the latter.

14. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Q&A Aug 16, 2011, 05:38 Squirmer

OK please tell us all the different ways you did that fight. Did you like ... shoot him with a gun?

And then the next time did you ... shoot him with a different gun?

And then the next time, wait wait let me guess ... you shot him with still another gun?

A M A Z I N G

Human Revolution? MORE LIKE GAMEPLAY REVOLUTION HUH? A CHOICE OF GUNS.

12. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Q&A Aug 16, 2011, 04:13 Squirmer

You could just run away from Simons (twice) and Maggie, and you never 'fight' Bob Page. There's Howard Strong in the missle silo who needs to die to progress, but I think he's the only one who can't be avoided or defeatable through non-combat means (unless you count him blowing himself up with a LAM). And in Invisible War you don't need to kill a single person.  

10. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Q&A Aug 16, 2011, 03:41 Squirmer

I have played the HR leak and I do think it will be good. That doesn't mean I can't complain about the bad decisions and poor justifications Eidos is making. People always take a binary attitude to these things, like I either need to think HR is the best game ever made, or the worst. I think neither.

Firstly, in a story there needs to be a confrontation phase (have you never read a book?) that should never be OPTIONAL

I've actually read many books in which nobody died. Haven't you? There can still be conflict without actually killing anyone. And besides, even if you privilege the story over gameplay, there's no reason why you should have to engage in balls-to-the-wall combat in a Deus Ex game which is supposed to be all about playing how you want. You only need to look to the original game. You needed to kill Anna, for example. But players with an exploratory mind were rewarded with an alternative method: a kill phrase. Eidos only needed to think outside the box instead of forcing us into cliched BOSS BATTLES in which you comicly throw explosive barrels to kill them (at least the first one).

Second, he is talking about shadow systems, that means to spread shadows throughout levels so that players can sneak around even when realistically there'd be no shadows at all, this is unrealistic.

Oh look the realism argument. You must have missed my point: I don't care about realism. I care about gameplay. If HR had a light-based stealth system the gameplay possibilities would be increased. And a Deus Ex game should always, always be about gameplay possibilities. Imagine hacking into a computer system in order to turn off a facility's lights, which kicks in some sparse backup lights and also creates shadows for you to hide in. (And if you're going to give me the LED argument again, see above.)

Here's the thing: a light-based stealth system is ALSO a line of sight stealth system most of the time. You can still hide behind things just as effectively as you can in a line of sight only system. But you have the added complexity (and resultant possibilities) of playing with light sources. This was, of course, a key element in the Thief games, the best stealth series yet made.

HR's line of sight stealth merely removes options. It adds nothing. That's why it's inferior.

Let me repeat: I think HR will be well received. I think it'll be pretty good. I also think it'll be inferior to the original.

Here's the thing: the good stuff about HR Eidos owes to Ion Storm. They are the things they have emulated pretty well. The 'additions' and changes Eidos has made are almost uniformly bad. That doesn't mean the whole game will be bad. Just disappointing in a few ways.

6. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Q&A Aug 16, 2011, 02:36 Squirmer

This is a the worst interview Eidos has done about this game. I don't know where to start. So I'll start at the beginning.

That's really hard to answer, but I think one of the biggest lessons that we learned from [Invisible War] is not to dilute the experience -- not to change it in strange and weird ways, and try to melt everything into one big pot.

Uh yeah because constantly switching between 1st and 3rd person is not strange or weird at all. Mhmm. But you know, at least HR isn't 'one big pot'. Whatever that means.

On third person:
One of the big reasons for this is, Adam Jensen looks cool; we wanted to show the character.

Right yes, well done Eidos. Forget gameplay considerations, it's more important to show off your character design because all the cool kids like their sword arms.

In the original game, you have J.C. Denton, for example, and you only see him in a few dialogue [sequences]. He's just standing there doing nothing.

Yep, what a forgettable character JC Denton was. It's not like he's a cult favourite game character or anything is it? No, no one remembers him. Maybe if he had sword arms! Of course.

We realized that [the third-person view] is a really good tool to situate a player. Sometimes, you go into a room, but you're not exactly sure of the dimensions and such. It's kind of confusing

Attention every 1st person game made in the last 20 years: Eidos says you are too confusing. You can't tell the dimensions of a room in 1st person, so that's why 3rd person is necessary. Got that, every 1st person game ever made? Good.

On unskippable must-kill boss fights:
I can't really answer that question, because I'd be giving away a few plot points. But basically, it's story-driven. That's the kind of thing that we can't really let the player decide, because then the story would just stop. It's hard to answer, because of the story.

Yes of course, all design principles can be thrown at the window in service of the crappy story. Story comes first, forget gameplay.

On no shadow stealth play:
No, you don't. That was a sort of early decision -- partially because it's not very realistic, to be honest.
Exactly. Hear that Thief? Hear that Splinter Cell? Hear that Riddick? You're not realistic. Eidos knows how to fix you though.

We don't have [the previous games'] weird shadow system.
Let's reflect on this for a moment. A designer at the studio which is currently making Thief 4 just called light-based stealth systems 'weird'. Good grief.

And if their problem is that there wasn't enough feedback in DX1's stealth and the simpletons couldn't figure it out (which is the other excuse they've used), they could have just added a light meter. They have so many other HUD indicators that another one wouldn't have mattered. Maybe that was just too much trouble to go to.

News Comments > On PC Deus Ex Human Revolution
69. Re: On PC Deus Ex Human Revolution Aug 15, 2011, 19:20 Squirmer

Or would you rather have Deus EX 1's absolutely fracking horrible combat back? Where melee and sneaking is completely and utterly hilariously broken? Sneaking in Deus EX is pure luck, and luck got nothing to do with skill.

This is such rubbish I don't even know what I can say. Seriously, lrn2play or something.

News Comments > On PC Deus Ex Human Revolution
68. Re: On PC Deus Ex Human Revolution Aug 15, 2011, 19:16 Squirmer

They didn't remove melee - they altered it. It's different, but I think that the way they implemented it is more balanced.

Whoa whoa. Say you like the ~cinematic wank~ that they turned melee into if you want. Say you like having a one-click I Win button if you want. But when you say that's 'more balanced' I gotta disagree. The takedowns in HR are so overpowered they had to cripple them by making them take a full energy pip every time.

That's not necessarily a problem on its own, but it's a problem that all your other augmentations draw from the same power pool. By crippling takedowns by making them take a lot of power, they've also crippled all other augmentations. Just look the developer walkthrough video on Gamespot the other day; the player uses cloak to stealth and runs out of power again and again.

Far from being 'more balanced', the melee system is the single most unbalanced thing in the entire game, both because of the one-button overpowered kills, and because it screws you over with your other augmentations.

(Seriously, I need to spend energy just to punch a guy? They've basically made melee consume 'ammo'. Worse, it's actually a form of universal ammo because all your other augs require the same resource. How hilarious given the lead designer's condemnation of universal ammo the other day.)

News Comments > Eidos Montreal: Deus Ex: Invisible War a "Cautionary Tale"
56. Re: PC Gamer gave it a 94... Aug 13, 2011, 02:30 Squirmer

They aren't remaking Deus Ex, they are making a new Deus Ex game. They stayed faithful to the original while putting their own ideas and more modern gameplay elements into it. If you can't deal with that then that's your problem really, the rest of us are going to enjoy it.

Did I say I wanted them to remake Deus Ex? No. I was criticising inaccuracies in the guy's argument. Read my post properly before responding.

The thrust of the guy's post is that they took the game back in the DX1 direction instead of what Invisible War did, because even minor changes can change the essence of Deus Ex -- while at the same time totally ignoring the rather dramatic changes they've made to the 'DX formula', like frequent 3rd person, frequently taking control away from the player, having tons of cutscenes, having a less interactive and responsive environment and so forth. I would argue those are much more the 'essence of Deus Ex' than having multiple types of ammo. Jeez.

Have you played the beta? Because what I played made it very clear it was a DX game.

Yes I have, and where did I say it was not a DX game? Again, I was responding to the bullshit in that answer. That doesn't mean I think the game will suck. This isn't a binary bestgameever/worstpieceofshitever. I think HR will be a good game, but I'm tipping it to be ultimately a pale imitation of DX1. But that still puts it above most of the shit shovelled out nowadays.

51. Re: PC Gamer gave it a 94... Aug 12, 2011, 21:13 Squirmer

And also

we reverted most decisions in IW in favor of what DX1 had done

This is bullshit. If they were reverting decisions that IW made, they would have skill points back in. But they don't. They only have augmentations as an upgrade path, which is exactly what IW did. (And if anyone says 'but but you get xp points in HR!' please lobotomize yourself now.)

50. Re: PC Gamer gave it a 94... Aug 12, 2011, 21:04 Squirmer

That post is terrible.

When you look at IW, all the staples are there: the future, augs, weapons, a conspiracy, dialogs, stealth, side quests, etc. Yet it doesn’t feel quite right.

Those are what he considers the staples of Deus Ex? Pathetic.

And universal ammo did not 'alter the essence' of Deus Ex or whatever. That was just something that people latched onto as a simplistic explanation of why IW wasn't as good. If they had never mentioned universal ammo before release, it would have barely rated a mention.

This post just suggests to me that 'Frank' doesn't properly understand IW's problems. He says he only played it once? Come on, if you're making a Deus Ex game you need to have played both games many, many times and understand them better than anyone else. Playing IW once and blaming its problems on universal ammo is absolutely pathetic.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Stealth Trailer
18. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Stealth Trailer Jul 29, 2011, 06:29 Squirmer

Acleacius wrote on Jul 29, 2011, 05:37:
Iirc, they said we would be able to complete the game without killing anyone or has that changed?

There are some major characters that you have to fight and kill (their strange excuse for this is that they can't make it dramatic enough without killing bosses or something), but it should be possible sneak past all the regular guards etc. There are XP points given for 'ghosting', though they seem to define ghosting as being non-lethal rather than totally unseen.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Stealth Trailer
2. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Stealth Trailer Jul 28, 2011, 21:04 Squirmer

Wasn't this video released a week or two ago?

Anyway, stealthing should be fun, but I don't like the changes that make it Metal Gear Solid-like (radar, line of sight indicators, sound meters, alert timers, etc). I actually think stealth in DXHR is more fun without upgrading any of the radar augs, because you have to rely on your own eyes and wits instead of just playing the radar. Kinda backwards.

News Comments > Aussie MA15+/R18+ Ratings Twist
4. Re: glad I don't live in SA Jul 18, 2011, 20:37 Squirmer

Asmo wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 18:16:
The SA attorney general was the stick in the mud trying to prevent a R18 rating in the first place (previous AG), now they want to scrap MA15+ and make everything R18?? A rating that doesn't even exist yet for games?

It's a different AG now. The stick in the mud was Michael Atkinson, a totally unreasonable man. The new one is John Rau, who at least has been open to the possibility of an R rating.

I actually agree with him in part. It's ridiculous that Australia has two 15+ ratings (one 'recommended' and one 'restricted'). But personally I would scrap the M rating and keep the MA rating, maybe some slight tweaks to the criteria to better balance them.

But it would have to be done nationally. One state doing this on their own is a terrible idea for the reasons pointed out in the article. It disadvantages South Australian retailers, because all those gamers aged 15-17 who want an MA rated game will just buy online instead (from an Aus retailer or from overseas). And having a game rated differently in different states is a headache for advertisers and box manufacturers: will there need to be two ratings on every magazine ad, and on every box?

And of course if you're going to scrap a rating it should be done for films too. Just doing this for games is a strange move, suggesting that games are somehow different in some unexplained way.

News Comments > Dishonored Revealed
24. Re: Dishonored Revealed Jul 8, 2011, 04:42 Squirmer

Creston wrote on Jul 7, 2011, 18:04:
It's a game that's going to rock every other game ever made out of existence, and then when it doesn't, Harvey is going to whine and blame someone else the customer for not being smart enough to get his deep visions.

Creston

Do you have a source for when he blamed customers for not 'getting it'? No?

News Comments > Tomasz Gop Leaves CD Projekt RED, Interview
10. Re: Tomasz Gop Leaves CD Projekt RED, Interview Jun 21, 2011, 02:19 Squirmer

I find it very interesting if you look at the stats on Steam, less that half the Steam players have finished chapter 1. 47.6% to be exact. Only 28.2% of Steam users have finished the game.

That's not unusual for a game of this type. Take a look at the stats of other RPGs and you'll probably find similar results. New Vegas, for instance: only 63% of people have completed the first main quest you get. Only 64% of people have even recruited a companion. Wanna guess how many people have finished the penultimate quest in the main quest line? Only 23%, less than one quarter.

Just Cause 2 is even worse, only 21% of people have finished the story for that game. And take a look at how low the completion stats are for Half-Life 2.

I'd say The Witcher 2 is doing pretty well considering it's comparatively complex and difficult (at least before the patch).

I disagree with just about every criticism you have about the game, too, so don't accuse everyone who likes it of being wowed by the graphics. That kind of dismissal is childish.

News Comments > Penumbra: Black Plague Announced
2. Re: Hmm... Sep 13, 2007, 11:32 Squirmer

That's a shame, it sounds like they had trouble maintaining the episodic release schedule. Overture is a very nice game, so I'll be checking this one out.

672 Comments. 34 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo