Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Squirmer

Real Name Squirmer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 28, 2002, 23:14
Total Comments 700 (Apprentice)
User ID 14094

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Thief Trailer
7. Re: Thief Trailer Dec 18, 2013, 18:42 Squirmer

Nuhauser wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 17:59:
As far as this game being similar to Dishonored is concerned, of course it is. This is the game that Dishonored is based on.
To an extent, but Thief is all about sneaking, whereas Dishonored also takes from the Deus Ex philosophy of multiple playstyles (Spector's comment that DX is a swiss army knife, Thief is a scalpel).

Eidos has taken the Thief property but instead of focusing on sneaking, they've added combat options because they don't want to punish people who don't want to play like a thief. In a game called Thief.

Beyond the gameplay, it's also remarkable how many similarities there are in the story. Evil baron, plague ravishing a city, now this character in the trailer who has Granny Rags written all over her. Some of that might come with the territory of setting a game in a Victorian-like city, but even so... They had some really interesting Thief-specific lore with the Hammers and the Keepers and so on, and it sounds like they've ditched most of it and come up with something way less interesting.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > DayZ Sales Soar
1. Re: DayZ Sales Soar Dec 17, 2013, 19:46 Squirmer

Weren't people suggesting yesterday that they'd missed the boat, took too long to release it, people are over it.  

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Early Access This Week
17. Re: Wasteland 2 Early Access This Week Dec 13, 2013, 16:42 Squirmer

jimnms wrote on Dec 13, 2013, 15:48:
For $50 you're getting a BOXED copy of the game, a cloth map, a printed manual, the soundtrack and 2 copies of the game, and you're bitching because a late backer gets beta access?
Yes? I'm not complaining about what I'm getting for $50; obviously I think that's reasonable or I wouldn't have paid it (I paid $65 actually for international shipping). But considering I've been on the backer train from the beginning and paid quite a bit, yeah, I'd be annoyed if a late backer gets beta access for paying less. Anyway, it's on Steam now for $60, so it's a non-issue.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Early Access This Week
3. Re: Wasteland 2 Early Access This Week Dec 12, 2013, 22:06 Squirmer

Beta access for the Kickstarter was at $75 or more, so I guess early access will be that expensive? I pledged $50, so I'll be kind of annoyed if I don't get beta access but late backers do via early access.  

News Comments > Game of Thrones Confirmed
5. Re: Game of Thrones Confirmed Dec 8, 2013, 16:08 Squirmer

The Clash of Kings mod for Mount & Blade is all you need from a Game of Thrones game.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
4. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 7, 2013, 05:53 Squirmer

"Why Spike is hitting the reset button on its video game awards."

I'm gonna guess because not enough people watched it to justify the huge expense, so it's been downgraded. Close?

News Comments > State of Decay Breakdown Released
4. Re: State of Decay Breakdown Released Nov 30, 2013, 19:39 Squirmer

It's actually much like the base game, but without the story events, so you have a bit more freedom to do what interests you. You get set up in one location, then look for resources, upgrade your base and outposts, recruit more survivors. When you deplete an area's resources, you load up an RV and move to a new area with harder zombies.

There are a number of events that occur and you can choose to do them or not. Things like helping out your neighbors, clearing infestations, defending a place from attack, making contact with other survivors. In between you need to look around and find resources. My only issue is that all these events come thick and fast, and it gets a bit overwhelming sometimes.

I'm not a huge fan of moving to a new area when you deplete resources, but I guess it works for the way the game is designed. I'd like to keep building up a base as zombies get harder instead of needing to start over each time you move.

News Comments > State of Decay Breakdown DLC Delay?
11. Re: State of Decay Breakdown DLC Delay? Nov 29, 2013, 17:08 Squirmer

Fibrocyte wrote on Nov 29, 2013, 15:01:
I left the main cabin, visited some tents, came back to the main cabin and the survivors were dead. It isn't clear if this was because I did something wrong (for example I did not board up the windows) or if it is unavoidable / part of the story.
If that's the place right at the start, I think that's part of the story. It's supposed to make you move on to a new area, to teach you that can move around, etc.

The reason I'm interested in the DLC is that it has a sandbox mode, which doesn't feature those kinds of story events, so you can do what you want.

News Comments > State of Decay Breakdown DLC Delay?
10. Re: State of Decay Breakdown DLC Delay? Nov 29, 2013, 17:03 Squirmer

Wish I'd seen this story before I bought the DLC just now. I guess it will unlock when it's available.  

News Comments > GOG.Com offers Dark Matter Refunds
27. Re: GOG.Com offers Dark Matter Refunds Oct 22, 2013, 22:50 Squirmer

Interesting precedent. It's a fine line between 'unfinished ending' and 'crap ending'. I wonder if people will start demanding refunds for games they consider plain shit.  

News Comments > Anachronox on Steam
10. Re: Anachronox on Steam Oct 18, 2013, 16:41 Squirmer

It uses the Quake 2 engine, not the Unreal engine like Deus Ex, so it has a very different look. It has a deliberate and coherent 'cartoony' art style, which means it still looks quite good today, as long as low res textures and blocky objects don't bother you.  

News Comments > Anachronox on Steam
7. Re: Anachronox on Steam Oct 18, 2013, 01:51 Squirmer

Tom Hall has tried multiple times to get the IP but Eidos refused to sell it (and it's uneven more unlikely now that Eidos is owned by Square).

And now that Square has a plan to offer its lesser-known IPs for other developers to make, it highly unlikely they'll walk away from it. The best thing to hope for is that Hall could somehow win the right to 'lease' or whatever the IP from Square to make a game, as part of Square's deal. That's if Square offers the Anox IP, and if Hall wants to work with them, and if he was given the opportunity. So pretty unlikely overall.

Hall said that if he couldn't get the IP, eventually he'd just write up how the story was going to end and put it on a website.

News Comments > Thief Dropping XP System
32. Re: Thief Dropping XP System Oct 17, 2013, 16:37 Squirmer

Fantaz wrote on Oct 17, 2013, 12:39:
I think they need to delay this game another year because it sounds like there needs to be a complete overhaul to save this game...
It already has been overhauled multiple times over the years, with new lead developers coming on board etc. That's what makes this so farcical. They had a formula set down by previous games in the series, but they've tried so hard to 'modernize' it.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
10. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 17, 2013, 16:27 Squirmer

They mean the cloud turns every Xbox into Microsoft's Xbox. You don't own shit when Microsoft controls everything.  

News Comments > Resident Evil 7 Outed?
8. Re: Resident Evil 7 Outed? Oct 13, 2013, 19:08 Squirmer

Costume designer?

Next we'll be seeing credits for 'set director'.

News Comments > Deus Ex Universe and New DX Game Revealed
27. Re: Deus Ex Universe and New DX Game Revealed Oct 2, 2013, 19:06 Squirmer

DX:HR is a bad game. They were taking the best game ever made as their starting point but managed to make it much worse. Awful level design, much more restrictive game systems that limited player options, poorly implemented RPG shit like XP rewards. Even if you're in it for the story, HR was so boring, with shallow characters and some nonsensical world building and character motivations. It was made by a bunch of amateurs and it shows.  

News Comments > THIEF Preorder Bonus Trailer
12. Re: THIEF Preorder Bonus Trailer Sep 25, 2013, 23:59 Squirmer

no they didn't  

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Trailer
16. Re: Elite: Dangerous Trailer Sep 15, 2013, 19:41 Squirmer

I doubt it's actual gameplay. It might be done in-engine, but the smoothness of the camera suggests they've carefully manipulated it. I wouldn't be surprised some of the effects are retouched in some way too.

Seems like it's one of those videos designed to show what they want the gameplay to be like ... but is not actually gameplay. Note that the video was used in their "composer selection process", which suggests they created a video showing what they want the game to be like so that potential composers could have something to work with.

I think the devs need to be careful. They released a "screenshot" a few weeks/months ago which they admitted was retouched too. If they start misleading their backers they're in for some pain.

13. Re: Elite: Dangerous Trailer Sep 15, 2013, 17:21 Squirmer

Actually what confuses me is why TIE Fighter and X-Wing have not been released on Steam like the Lucasarts adventure games. I guess there's some extra work to do because you'd need a joystick, but it can't be that hard to get them working with gamepads.  

12. Re: Elite: Dangerous Trailer Sep 15, 2013, 17:14 Squirmer

Fion wrote on Sep 15, 2013, 15:57:
All these space shooters in the works and not a peep about the greatest of them all: Tie Fighter (followed closely by X-Wing of course.)

Where's my fucking Tie Fighter sequel Disney? It's a cash cow in the waiting.
Yeah they'd have to be idiots to see all the millions being put down for these space games and not realise they're sitting on the ultimate space sim franchise.

Problem is, unlike these crowd-funded games which reached out to the longtime fans of the genre, anything released by Disney is bound to be aimed at a really wide audience, and we'd probably end up with a Rogue Squadron style of game -- i.e. railroaded shooting gallery instead of a fighter sim. Doesn't have to be that way (console controllers could be used just fine for a space sim) but I expect it to be.

700 Comments. 35 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo