Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Squirmer

Real Name Squirmer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 28, 2002, 23:14
Total Comments 926 (Graduate)
User ID 14094

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Core Game Free; Raids Coming
12. Re: Guild Wars 2 Core Game Free; Raids Coming Aug 30, 2015, 19:02 Squirmer

Even after 3 years people bring an outdated MMO attitude to this game. I.e. "I'm paying $15 a month for this, so I have to spend 20 hours a week doing boring repetitive crap to keep up with the gear treadmill."

Except GW2 has no subscription fee and no gear treadmill. It doesn't have the same kind of "endgame" as some other MMOs -- but MMO endgames are 90% boring grind. I don't get why anyone would complain that GW2 doesn't have that.

If there's no subscription fee, you don't have to grind for hours every day just to keep up. When they're doing the living world releases, I just play for a few hours a week to follow the story, and I don't feel like I'm falling behind. It's ideal for people who like to play MMOs sometimes, but don't want to spend 20+ hours on it every week.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Interviews
6. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 29, 2015, 12:10 Squirmer

One day people criticize "lowest common denominator" design, the next they criticize someone who doesn't follow that approach. Can't win.  

News Comments > XCOM 2 Delayed
18. Re: XCOM 2 Delayed Aug 29, 2015, 12:06 Squirmer

Funny how people are fine with delays like this, but not when a game is crowdfunded. Not talking about Star Citizen, which there's reason to be skeptical of, but other crowdfunded games. It's like there's an extra sense of entitlement when you've helped to fund something. Worth remembering that most games get delayed at some stage in their development.  

News Comments > "Do or Die" for Frozenbyte
11. Re: Aug 27, 2015, 18:51 Squirmer

It's only $20, it's not like they're charging through the roof for it.  

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Berserker Intro
2. Re: Guild Wars 2 Berserker Intro Aug 20, 2015, 19:49 Squirmer

I think most people are expecting staff for the Thief now. That would be cool if it's a melee weapon rather than a casting weapon.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
15. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 10, 2015, 09:13 Squirmer

It would be easy enough to scale the main story quests but not the rest of the world.  

News Comments > Mafia III Announcement
10. Re: Mafia III Announcement Aug 5, 2015, 11:46 Squirmer

siapnar wrote on Aug 5, 2015, 09:57:
EDIT: Just saw that this is a new developer and that very few members of the past Mafia dev teams are on board. :/
I'm hopeful because Mattias Worch is working on it, and he knows his stuff. Got his start with Doom modding, worked on Dead Space 2, and Star Wars 1313 before it was canned.

News Comments > On Sale
17. Re: On Sale Aug 2, 2015, 19:18 Squirmer

harlock wrote on Aug 2, 2015, 14:59:
story going around was that it got changed big time some point during development, im assuming to make it more "appealing" or whatever
It had a lot of developer turnover. I think it had like 3 different project leads at various times, so it's just a mess of ideas with no coherence.

News Comments > Five Nights at Freddy's Developer Responds to "Hate"
8. Re: Five Nights at Freddy's Developer Responds to Jul 29, 2015, 20:37 Squirmer

The big publishers are charging $60 per game, upwards of $100 for collector's editions, an extra $30 for "season passes" for content that doesn't exist yet, still more for Day 1 DLC so they can charge more than $60 for the complete game, nickel and diming people for cosmetic shit that nobody needs -- and people are attacking a lonesome indie developer for making games that people are enjoying? Get some perspective for fuck's sake.  

News Comments > The Witcher III: Wild Hunt Game+ Mode Coming
12. Re: The Witcher III: Wild Hunt Game+ Mode Coming Jul 27, 2015, 18:49 Squirmer

The combat's not great but it works. You can only "button mash" against a single humanoid enemy really, any more than that and you can't just stand there left-clicking. Bosses with crush you if you don't play smart. I'm playing on the hardest difficulty though, where using signs and potions (or great timing) are often necessary. If you're playing on easy and complaining about button-mashing, then it's your fault really.

Geralt's movement is terrible, but the recent patch helped a lot with that.

News Comments > Mount & Blade: Warband Viking Conquest Reforged Edition
3. Re: Mount & Blade: Warband Viking Conquest Reforged Edition Jul 24, 2015, 19:55 Squirmer

I should say that apparently the DLC was poorly programmed, like amateurish stuff, and so the game kept crashing etc. But even so, it was fun and mostly worked, so if they've addressed the problems this should be worth playing.  

News Comments > Mount & Blade: Warband Viking Conquest Reforged Edition
2. Re: Mount & Blade: Warband Viking Conquest Reforged Edition Jul 24, 2015, 19:40 Squirmer

Nah it wasn't shit, but it was really buggy. Fixes for all the problems are more important than "new features".  

News Comments > Satellite Reign Next Month
10. Re: Satellite Reign Next Month Jul 12, 2015, 22:29 Squirmer

Early access allows games to get made that would otherwise not be made. You take the bad with the good, and do some research before you buy something.

Mount and Blade was sold as a 'beta' for about 4 years before its retail release, and that worked out well.

News Comments > Batman Console DLC This Month
16. Re: Batman Console DLC This Month Jul 4, 2015, 01:25 Squirmer

Rattlehead wrote on Jul 3, 2015, 20:44:
Bullshit, they've said on Twitter that there would be no DLC worked on until the PC version is fixed, and guess what? DLC released. Money talks, bullshit walks.

Actually said this on Twitter a week ago:

To clarify: PC is top priority for engine team but there'll still be updates for consoles too. Not all issues are fixed by same people.
https://twitter.com/Seftonhill/status/614555527830466562

News Comments > Batman Console DLC This Month
7. Re: Batman Console DLC This Month Jul 3, 2015, 19:02 Squirmer

If you really think fixing the PC version isn't a priority, you're being a petulant baby. They pulled the PC version from sale, so they're passing up money every day they don't have it fixed. Of course it's a priority.  

News Comments > It Came from E3 2015, Part Five
2. Re: It Came from E3 2015, Part Five Jun 26, 2015, 10:44 Squirmer

His baby's all grown up, just with a bit of brain damage received along the way.  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
7. Re: Evening Interviews Jun 23, 2015, 21:20 Squirmer

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 23, 2015, 20:54:
Which tells me he as absolutely no clue about anyone younger than 40 or the fact that nobody gives a shit how they look when they sit half-naked in front of their high-end gaming altar.. VR or not, doesn't exactly change a damn thing and how you look matters absolutely nothing when you are half-naked because your gaming rig is making the room hot as shit ;p
Half-naked people sitting in front of their "gaming rig" make up an extremely small proportion of the population. If those are the people who are supposed to be driving VR, Spector's point seems even more valid.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Pricing Adjusted
15. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Pricing Adjusted Jun 23, 2015, 18:52 Squirmer

NKD wrote on Jun 23, 2015, 17:46:
Creston wrote on Jun 23, 2015, 16:36:

Yeah, it makes sense for them to do it that way, but it's not great for the people who've played for several years, maybe bought craploads of gems, to be told that they're basically irrelevant and can't you please just go away/die already.

Yep it really sucks. I'm sad to see the subscription model for MMOs dying out because it's really the only model that allows a game to stay afloat without milking its customers for every penny or requiring huge influxes of new players. It also puts everyone on the same footing, more or less.
What about all those MMOs that charge a subscription AND offer microtransaction items? $15 for a month's play, oh and here's a new horse you can buy for $20 too. You really miss that model?

News Comments > Tale of Tales Closing
17. Re: Tale of Tales Closing Jun 21, 2015, 19:09 Squirmer

This is pretty weird. I wouldn't have considered Sunset a "game for gamers" at all. I haven't played it, but figured it was more along the lines of walking sims like Gone Home and so forth, more of an emerging niche (a very boring one imo, but some people seem to like those games). I don't know why they were trying to compromise their own ideas if they went the Kickstarter route; surely Kickstarter is good for putting your own ideas out there, not making a game for some imagined audience.

Anyway, these two might be interesting artists, but they're not game designers. From reading some Steam reviews, it seems like the "gameplay" in this game involves pressing one of two buttons occasionally, and just doesn't sound very interesting. And it inexplicably suffers from performance issues.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Expansion Pricing Backlash
40. Re: Guild Wars 2 Expansion Pricing Backlash Jun 19, 2015, 19:19 Squirmer

I think ArenaNet could calm people down by throwing in a character slot at the $50 level, or dropping the expansion price to $40. They'll need to do something, this is really bad press for them.  

926 Comments. 47 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo