Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Squirmer

Real Name Squirmer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 28, 2002, 23:14
Total Comments 858 (Graduate)
User ID 14094

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $80M; Accepting Subscription Contributions
15. Re: Star Citizen Passes $80M; Accepting Subscription Contributions Apr 27, 2015, 22:04 Squirmer

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 19:20:
I think it's pretty clear at this point that they are projecting to ultimately hit around $100m. It seems like the storage requirements keep going up with the budget, so I'm not sure I can afford the storage when this thing finally launches.

It's very clear, since that's exactly what Roberts has said: http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/21/star-citizen-expected-to-reach-100-million/

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
14. Re: Saturday Interviews Apr 26, 2015, 18:58 Squirmer

You don't organize speeches at the last minute. This was probably organized months ago before all that shit happened. No doubt people would criticize him if he simply backed out of it.  

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Apr 26, 2015, 18:55 Squirmer

One of the interesting questions is what happens when a modder charges for, say, a Star Wars mod, and Disney hears that Bethesda is profiting from their IP... I'm sure it will be pulled down at some stage, but money will be changing hands before that happens if no one is curating the mod store.  

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Apr 26, 2015, 18:50 Squirmer

There may well be too many problems with this in practice, but I'm not buying the "unethical" argument. Modders have been value-adding to games forever. Skyrim is getting close to 4 years old and it still sells well, in large part because of mods. There's an ethical question there because Bethesda is directly benefiting from free labor provided by modders. Usually no one questions this because it's just how it's always been.

Leaving aside the practical problems for a moment, it's not "unethical" for modders to get paid for their labor. Just the opposite.

That said, all the problems are real. A better approach might have been to suggest donation amounts (like what happens with some browser extensions), and curate mods a little bit, so the more expansive ones could be put up for sale, but not everything.

12. Re: Saturday Interviews Apr 26, 2015, 02:53 Squirmer

It wasn't an interview, it was a speech.  

5. Re: Saturday Interviews Apr 25, 2015, 19:47 Squirmer

harlock wrote on Apr 25, 2015, 14:58:
harlock wrote on Apr 25, 2015, 14:18:
"You may think Curiosity was a stupid idea, but I'll tell you what. When it ended it was the number one trending global topic on Twitter. How cool is that? All it was was 'What's inside the fucking box!' Can you imagine how that felt? For me, that's what this industry is."
Sounds like the guy's got his finger on the industry's pulse after all...

News Comments > Mad Max Trailer
29. Re: Mad Max Trailer Apr 23, 2015, 20:00 Squirmer

This looks good. The only thing I'm worried about is that the "open world" will be littered with trivial side activities and collectibles (like basically every open world game ever). Just Cause 2 was fine in this regard because it was so crazy and fun at every moment, but if Mad Max has a more serious tone without that craziness, all those trivial activities could get dull.  

News Comments > Trine 3 Early Access Next Week
2. Re: Trine 3 Early Access Next Week Apr 16, 2015, 22:56 Squirmer

Not sure a platformer is the kind of game you'd want to play in early access. Recipe for frustration.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 14, 2015, 10:30 Squirmer

I prefer my penises uncut.  

News Comments > Ship Ahoy - Mortal Kombat X
8. Re: Ship Ahoy - Mortal Kombat X Apr 14, 2015, 10:29 Squirmer

Does this game work yet?  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Will Be Ghostable; Free E-Book
2. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Will Be Ghostable; Free E-Book Apr 13, 2015, 19:24 Squirmer

A lot of people don't use the "ghost" term correctly though. Some people think if you go through knocking out everyone you've "ghosted" the game. So it depends what exactly he means.  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Press Release
10. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Press Release Apr 9, 2015, 01:13 Squirmer

I hope they aren't going to recon the NSF as a radical augmentation splinter group or something.  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Press Release
4. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Press Release Apr 8, 2015, 21:25 Squirmer

Someone help me out with the plot here.

The "Panchaea incident" is literally the most catastrophic event that has befallen humanity... and people are "divided" about augmentations? Why do they have to use such a brute force approach to these games? It would be far more interesting if augmentations weren't clearly, unequivocally dangerous--as demonstrated by the deaths of millions of people--and were instead simply scary (like, you know, in Deus Ex 1). They don't leave much room for subtlety.

Even calling it the "aug incident" is hilarious. Millions of people dead is an "incident".

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Revealed
35. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Revealed Apr 8, 2015, 01:24 Squirmer

Jerykk wrote on Apr 7, 2015, 23:17:
Also, DX:HR wasn't "obviously linear."
Yeah it was. The level design was the worst part of the game. There may have been a choice of paths (usually through a vent), but the level design constantly funneled you through maps in a very linear way. Compare the docks map (the most open-ended and Deus Ex-like) to just about any other map in the game and you can see the difference. I guarantee you there was something different about the development of the docks map. Either it was made by a different designer, or was made as a demo map separate from the others, or something like that.

If Eidos learns from that one good map, they could make something worthwhile. But given their love of cutscenes, I'm not sure.

News Comments > Gone Gold - The Witcher 3; Two Expansions Revealed
4. Re: Gone Gold - The Witcher 3; Two Expansions Revealed Apr 7, 2015, 19:05 Squirmer

I'm sure they could package all this together if you want the game to be delayed for another year.

CD Projekt is one of the few good companies out there. They always release a lot of free updates to their games, and their work on GOG.com is always about putting consumers first. You take a shit on them and you look like a whiny idiot.

News Comments > Square Enix Reveal Progress
16. Re: Square Enix Reveal Progress Apr 7, 2015, 17:13 Squirmer

A new Deus Ex needs radically improved level design instead of the funneled design in Human Revolution. Hiring some half-decent writers would also be a good move, as well as cutting out all those unnecessary cutscenes. Improve those areas and we could be in business, but I'm pessimistic.  

News Comments > etc.
25. Re: etc. Apr 4, 2015, 22:55 Squirmer

Krovven wrote on Apr 4, 2015, 20:04:
Majority of jokes are at the expense of someone in one way or another. They are however jokes. Some in good taste, some in bad. You don't have to laugh.

When do we start to get upset at things that make fun of straight white males?

Probably when straight white males aren't at the top of the food chain and don't have all the life advantages they do now. See, this is what you lot don't seem to understand. The joke in PoE is actually not a joke for people who have to worry about being murdered for being who they are. The perception that transgender people are freaks and you should be ashamed to be with one is the same kind of perception that leads to transgender people being murdered on a fairly regular basis. (And no I'm not saying jokes lead directly to murder, just pointing out why people would find this offensive.)

Again, if you actually can't appreciate that, and you can't understand why people would be upset at jokes like this, you've got real problems empathizing with people.

And why is someone linking an Ace Ventura clip when that demonstrates the point I'm making? Transgender people have been the butt of jokes for a long time. They've had to put up with it. Now they're increasingly speaking out about how upsetting it is, and you straight white males can't deal with it. Who exactly has the thin skin here, you hypocrites?

News Comments > etc.
17. Re: etc. Apr 4, 2015, 19:20 Squirmer

Saboth wrote on Apr 4, 2015, 15:39:
I'm not sure how this is a "transphobic" joke.

The man intended to have sex with a woman. The woman was a man pretending to be a woman.
How are you this oblivious. It's a joke at transgender people's expense, and if I were a transgender woman I would find this joke really offensive too. Not only does it deny transgender people's identity (hello what even is gender), it also implies that suicide is preferable to intimacy with those transgender freaks. If you can't see how that's offensive you've got a serious empathy deficiency.

News Comments > etc.
16. Re: etc. Apr 4, 2015, 19:11 Squirmer

Of course you can demand they change something offensive. You don't have the right to enforce change, but you can certainly demand it. The final decision is then Obsidian's.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 3, 2015, 19:35 Squirmer

I don't think Cutter read the article.  

858 Comments. 43 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo