Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Squirmer

Real Name Squirmer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 28, 2002, 23:14
Total Comments 675 (Apprentice)
User ID 14094

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players
33. Re: New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players Aug 28, 2014, 18:03 Squirmer

Benefit of the doubt guys, remember how well universal ammo worked in Invisible War.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
36. Re: Op Ed Aug 24, 2014, 18:19 Squirmer

Verno wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 17:38:
Sepharo wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 16:32:
I have to disagree with your assessment of the ages of the CS community though. I would say the majority playing are still teens.

Neither here nor there, regardless the take away from my reply was this:

This isn't a problem with men so much as it is a problem with maturity. The vast majority of harassment I've had from Xbox Live has been from teenagers. No amount of blogs or education can replace life experience, those teens are not reading them in the first place. There are certainly outliers and men who are also immature but again, those people aren't really going to be reached by a Tumblr post saying men are pigs with a cherry picked list of tweets as examples.
Yeah but you can't pretend that being a sexist piece of shit is part of a teenager's natural stage of being, and part of becoming an adult is naturally not being a piece of shit any more. There needs to be people maintaining that calling a woman a bitch/whore/slut or sexually harassing them is actually not acceptable. Without that, the piece of shit teenager will remain a piece of shit adult (which still happens in many cases, e.g. this Thunderf00t person).

News Comments > Phil Fish Re-Quits Gaming
37. Re: Phil Fish Re-Quits Gaming Aug 22, 2014, 21:17 Squirmer

It's not a good video. As far as I've seen, there's no evidence that Grayson wrote favorable pieces about Quinn's games once they'd been in a relationship (or whatever it was), so whatever tenuous justification there was for turning this into a game journalist smackdown does not exist. As the message on Fish's website says, this is simply about some anti-SJW assholes trying to find an excuse for being assholes.

This is fundamentally about a private matter that shouldn't have been made public. Quinn might be a bad person, but so is the guy who spent hours and hours compiling his evidence and writing a mammoth blog post to publicize her behavior. Whatever you think about Quinn, that's a wildly fucked up thing to do.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
21. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 18, 2014, 21:12 Squirmer

Except it's really obvious he was joking, even just from reading the text. More than that, he was gently mocking PC elitism by using the term sarcastically.  

News Comments > John Romero's New Shooter Plans
35. Re: John Romero's New Shooter Plans Aug 11, 2014, 22:12 Squirmer

wtf_man wrote on Aug 11, 2014, 20:40:
Ehh.... on the one hand, beating him up for Daikatana nowadays is a bit dumb... he's more than paid the price for that "masterpiece". Freak

On the other hand, he really hasn't done anything of notice in the game industry since, and deserves all the skepticism that is being thrown at him.

That said... I hope he makes something decent.

/shrug
He's a smart guy though. When he disappeared from PC games and started making mobile games, I remember how everyone assumed it was a fall from grace etc. Turned out he anticipated the massive rise of mobile games and was really ahead of the curve.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 8, 2014, 00:06 Squirmer

It's obviously a bullshit survey. Betty White appeared high on the list of most influential celebrities among teenagers? I don't know how they carried out this survey but it's clearly worthless.  

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Jul 31, 2014, 18:29 Squirmer

A lot of American histories treat the time between The Crash and the NES as an interregnum in videogames because in the visible US market it largely was. British histories tend to be more comprehensive about this time period. Tristan Donovan's "Replay" is a good popular history (it even pays attention to regions outside the US and UK), and Graeme Kirkpatrick's "Computer games and the social imaginary" is a very good scholarly book that specifically draws attention to this common gap in the history.  

News Comments > PC Gaming Alliance Gives Up, Changes Name
6. Re: PC Gaming Alliance Gives Up, Changes Name Jul 21, 2014, 21:48 Squirmer

Ironic since mobile game platforms are anything but open.  

News Comments > Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel
39. Re: Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel Jul 21, 2014, 19:50 Squirmer

Asmo wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 18:35:
And ultimately, you do have a choice. You could choose to stop playing the game.
Hahahahaha

You know what other game features this same shocking choice? Every single one of them. If you want to make an interesting commentary on games specifically you have to give players choices, since player agency is a defining quality of the medium. Yager just slapped a story on a boring game and pretended it was doing more than it was.

The game is a film basically, and Michael Haneke already made this film in 1997 (and many film critics rightly mocked him for it).

News Comments > Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel
1. Re: Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel Jul 21, 2014, 09:11 Squirmer

Alternatively, the "intellectual approach" is the only thing that made an otherwise stock standard cover shooter stand out in any way.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
23. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 20, 2014, 19:56 Squirmer

Jerykk wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 19:42:
The truth is that you simply dislike DayZ and don't understand its popularity and thus you feel obligated to dismiss its success as hollow and undeserved. It's a means of self-validation and lets you feel like your opinion is correct even if it conflicts with the opinions of the majority.

Bingo.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Jumps Into Parkour
1. Re: Assassin's Creed Jumps Into Parkour Jul 18, 2014, 11:45 Squirmer

Some fat nerd's gonna break his neck on that course.  

News Comments > Darkwood Trailer; Early Access Next Week
2. Re: Darkwood Trailer; Early Access Next Week Jul 17, 2014, 20:21 Squirmer

Looking forward to this.  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online on Steam
22. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online on Steam Jul 17, 2014, 20:20 Squirmer

Charging a subscription for this game was always a stupid idea. The whole industry has been moving away from that model for years, so this was so backwards. I assume the higher ups are still in love with the idea of matching WoW's revenue and haven't realized the situation has changed since 2003.  

News Comments > Rumor: Year-old Dishonored 2 Details
2. Re: Rumor: Year-old Dishonored 2 Details Jul 15, 2014, 10:27 Squirmer

Bizarre comment. It had the same art director but a radically different setting, a painterly style rather than a realistic one, and an entirely different engine.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
7. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 13, 2014, 17:36 Squirmer

If people have fun playing these particular buggy unfinished games, what business is it of yours? Don't buy them if you don't want, and let other people buy them if they want.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
5. Re: Game Reviews Jul 12, 2014, 20:16 Squirmer

Independent games only get high scores if they have a quirky art style and pretensions of intellectualism. Otherwise they get marks off for being indie.  

News Comments > Humble 2K Bundle
16. Re: Humble 2K Bundle Jul 9, 2014, 01:13 Squirmer

I am a hollow shell because I have donated all my internal organs to those in need, and I exist now only in the online ether.  

12. Re: Humble 2K Bundle Jul 8, 2014, 23:51 Squirmer

That's what I'm saying. Beamer's heart is bleeding for the large corporate body that's missing out on cash, whereas I'm suggesting that charities are more deserving of the money. I think we need to question Beamer's motive here.  

10. Re: Humble 2K Bundle Jul 8, 2014, 23:15 Squirmer

I'd rather give my money to a charity than a big videogame publisher, but that's because I'm not an awful person.  

675 Comments. 34 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo