Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for sponge

Real Name sponge   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname sponge
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 4029304
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Aug 28, 2002, 10:38
Total Comments 2696 (Senior)
User ID 14076

User comment history
< Newer [ 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ] Older >

News Comments > Unreal Tournament 3 Patch Plans
22. Re: No subject Nov 24, 2007, 14:33 sponge

All FPS games require teamwork unless it's FFA deathmatch. UT3 ctf and warfare require teamwork as well.

Certainly so. Q3 TDM with a good team is an amazing experience. I think people are looking for a more rigid class system, where everyone has a defined objective, rather than roles arising from function (say a defender, flag-harasser, midfielder, etc)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Unreal Tournament 3 Patch Plans
17. Re: No subject Nov 24, 2007, 02:28 sponge

since I can't stand slow online shooters.
We need a good, proper sequel to remedy that situation.

I'll take any new game that's fast-paced and requires teamwork. I for one am sick of these pussies who play shit like Boringfield 2(142) and CS and can't stand a game that requires movement skills, aiming kills, AND teamwork.

I swear, it feels like they infect any game that has teams with their whining about speed, and their desire to take a dump in some bushes waiting a few hours for a kill like it's Deer Hunter.

But I'm just bitter.

News Comments > Thanksgiving Legal Briefs
5. No subject Nov 23, 2007, 03:57 sponge

Anyone who thinks this case will be thrown out right away needs to look up the case of Midler v. Ford.

...when a distinctive voice of a professional singer is widely known and is deliberately imitated in order to sell a product, the sellers have appropriated what is not theirs and have committed a tort in California.

It's not a clear cut win for Activision at all.

News Comments > Crysis Benchmark
13. Re: No subject Nov 23, 2007, 03:54 sponge

The wonderful thing about this game is that 5yrs down the road; it's still going to have some replay value. All that other crap that you can play smooth now will all look so yesterday. But Crysis was made for the future.

Great, so I'm no longer buying a game, but a short-term investment that I can then play in the future.

Better graphics != replay value. Actual gameplay = replay value.

News Comments > Thanksgiving Safety Dance
2. Re: One year later Did Vista's focus on Nov 22, 2007, 19:04 sponge

I hope the primary focus for the next version of Windows is performance, including gaming performance.

And the balance is then shifted away from security. Generally, if you want performance, you pay a price in security, and vice versa. Before anyone else jumps down my throat because of it, it's a general guideline, and not "BUT LINUX IS x% MORE SECURE AND GETS y% MORE FPS!!1"

News Comments > Evening Q&As
8. Re: Carmack Interview Nov 22, 2007, 11:36 sponge

Ah so thats the case. IMHO it's wasted because how many people hop on their PC, make a big mod for UT3 and go 'man I cant wait to port this mod to my PS3 so I can share it online!' I'll tell ya, probably about .01% of the actual PS3 audience.

Modding is a PC enthusiast activity, requiring a PC with a fair bit of horsepower. Often more then is necessary to run the game itself. Giving consoles the ability to import mods made on the PC does not change the fact that, like all games and mods, they were made on a PC.

My personal objective as a modder would be able to create something that a lot of people enjoy and play. If porting to the XB/PS3 means I can triple (I don't believe the PC will outsell the console versions at all) the people who can play, mind you how much the engine abstracts things, then I'd say it sounds like a good thing.

5. Re: Carmack Interview Nov 22, 2007, 03:17 sponge

I can download a mod for almost EVERY game moddable on the PC. How many Total convertions have you seen consoles.

None yet. Because if it were comparable to consoles, then it wouldn't be beginning to encroaching on PC-space, it would be equivalent.

No one wise outside of the terrible summary is trying to say the consoles are equal, so trying to argue that is a bit silly.

3. Re: Carmack Interview Nov 21, 2007, 20:22 sponge

In what fucking universe is modding on the PC being matched by next-gen consoles? Connectivity? Sure, consoles have finally begun to catch up in that dept, but they aren't there yet. But modding? please!

UT3 is apparently able to run mods made for the PC version. XBox Live and XBLA are creating the distribution model required to distribute this kind of stuff.

The summary is retarded. The actual quote:

"Historically, the real value of PC has been in connectivity, and in modification… but the latest generation of consoles is encroaching on that territory with all the options you’ve got on current consoles, the connectivity and the add-ons and things you can get there."

Encroaching != matching. Stupid Gamasutra for that, and for splitting the interview for no reason.

News Comments > PhysX UT3 Maps & SDK Plans
16. Re: ... Nov 21, 2007, 14:26 sponge

I want to know whether these cards will improve framerates in the main game or simply provide extra fluff and run slower. I'm all up for the idea of a PhysX card but not if nothing's gonna use it. If it doesn't do much for UT3 then it doesn't stand a chance of succeeding.

Both, if you are CPU limited. The game will accelerate existing physics functions by off-loading them off the CPU, in addition to providing the power for extra effects WITHOUT an FPS hit.

PhysX will provide an increase in at least performance in every UT3 engine game to date. Beats the pants off the Karma engine, that's for sure.

This comment was edited on Nov 21, 14:27.

News Comments > Unreal Tournament 3 Windows Server
8. No subject Nov 20, 2007, 11:04 sponge

This is a non-issue for me as any servers have real firewalls, and not this software junk.

News Comments > Rail Simulator Demo
9. Re: I used to like Rails Nov 19, 2007, 11:47 sponge

A good railway or tycoon game would have topped it off but I didn't seem to have any.

OpenTTD! Hell, now that you have internet, go download and play it anyway.

News Comments > Steam Stats
37. Re: No subject Nov 19, 2007, 11:35 sponge

I mean, the last f'in argument we had I said I had misinformation and was in error and my statement(s) were wrong in that specific case and I agree with him; but he still seems to hold a grudge against me for some damn reason.

I agree with him on that 48% is a useless number unless you have another point to compare it with.

I'd like to know how many people didn't beat BioShock, for example.

News Comments > Steam Stats
7. Re: No subject Nov 18, 2007, 21:06 sponge

Pretty cool that they share this info with the public. Most companies would sit on it like it was classified troop movement documents.

Hell, most companies don't have any way of tracking anything like that!

Bungie did the heat maps with Halo3, which IMO is an extremely useful way to get macro-feedback on map flow.

News Comments > Soldier of Fortune: Payback Patch
13. Re: No subject Nov 18, 2007, 06:54 sponge

LOL. You missed out. You think it averages 90% on both Gamerankings.com and metacritic.com because it's boring?

I would say because it does 1 thing, and does it well. If you're not a fan of that one thing, then you're probably not going to derive much more than a few hours out of it.

The 70 or so Final Fantasy games do RPGs and storytelling well, but I don't like it personally, thus it would feel boring and the same to me.

News Comments > id Mobile Q&A
3. Re: No subject Nov 18, 2007, 01:23 sponge

DS needs more shooters, they work extremely good on it, and theres not much selection. This is good news to me.

Amen. Playing BiA and CoD4 for DS just scream for a good FPS with online.

When JC was talking about Quake Arena mobile, he insinuiated it may be closer to a Doom game than Quake3 when it comes to gameplay, which would be equally cool.

Orcs and Elves DS is pretty fun, too.

News Comments > Soldier of Fortune: Payback Patch
2. Re: *ahem* Nov 16, 2007, 22:05 sponge

"Is this the patch that..." etc etc

Leading up to release, I was constantly surprised at how much hype people had for this game, despite it being a value title.

News Comments > id Mobile Formed
9. Re: Nov 15, 2007, 17:21 sponge

More importantly, quality mobile games that are accessible, in both gameplay, and hardware.

With id Tech 5 running on the whole level from a PS3 to a PC, this shouldn't be an entirely unexpected move. JC has gotten the PC industry far by pushing the tech, and it's about time for a change.

News Comments > Into the Black
6. No subject Nov 14, 2007, 00:51 sponge

I would just like to take the time here to profess my undying love for Super Mario Galaxy.

If I could marry inanimate objects, SMG would be my beautiful plastic bride.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Crysis
31. Re: No subject Nov 13, 2007, 16:54 sponge

If there are other current co-op games I'm missing, please tell me, because I'd be very interested in checking them out.

Army of Two for PC/360/PS3, and Left 4 Dead for PC, I believe.

News Comments > Call of Duty 4 Steam and Multiplayer Issues
33. Re: No subject Nov 13, 2007, 15:07 sponge

that only shows the front end of the interface. it doesnt mean they are still using id tech in the code. using \ is not exclusive to id software unless they patented its use.

There's a point where enough similarities add up to imply the source of the engine, in terms of data structures, organization, and so on. If you read my other posts, you'd notice that I came to the conclusion with more than just a \.

They claimed HL2 was built from scratch, but we all found out that was a lie.

This comment was edited on Nov 13, 15:08.

2696 Comments. 135 pages. Viewing page 44.
< Newer [ 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo