Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for sponge

Real Name sponge   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname sponge
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 4029304
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Aug 28, 2002, 10:38
Total Comments 2696 (Senior)
User ID 14076

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 9, 2009, 10:54 sponge

Has become? The gaming press has never been competent.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > This is Your Brain on Multiplayer
11. Re: This is Your Brain on Multiplayer Feb 6, 2009, 15:02 sponge

The Unreal Tournament 2004 bots are seemingly the most adept and playable AI in a game yet. Whoever wrote their code needs a medal.

Steven Polge, author of the (infamous?) Quake 1 Reaper Bot, if I'm not mistaken.

News Comments > A-Train 8 Announced
3. Re: A-Train 8 Announced Feb 5, 2009, 02:55 sponge

And the graphics look terrible. But that shouldn't be the point of the game, as awesome a a hyper-realistic OpenTTD type game would be to immerse yourself into.  

News Comments > Crysis Warhead SDK Update
2. Re: Crysis Warhead SDK Update Feb 3, 2009, 01:37 sponge

They made the game with it, surely they could have released it along with Warhead.

Ready for developers does not necessarily mean ready for the end users. The level of polish needs to be a fair bit higher, especially because they can't guarantee system configuration.

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed Jan 30, 2009, 20:15 sponge

Creston: The underlying point of the article is that the XBOX should have just been a small form factor PC and it should have been able to run PC games. XBOX Live should have just been software like Steam. Whatever specialized hardware is in the XBOX should have been available to put in to any PC, pushing the PC market forward.

It would have worked exactly the same for all the "console" gamers. They'd still have an XBOX in their living room connected to their big TV. The only difference is that the XBOX would play PC games and Microsoft wouldn't have essentially abandoned the PC gaming market.

And we would have the same problem now, because controls would be "dumbed down" to fit gamepads. Unless you honestly believe people would use a Media Center PC with a mouse and keyboard in lap?

News Comments > Crysis Warhead Patch
4. Re: Crysis Warhead Patch Jan 30, 2009, 15:33 sponge

Wut? Why?

Save games are usually not much more complicated than a dump of memory, or something similar. 64bit would pretty much muck that up.

News Comments > Mirror's Edge DLC Delayed
8. Re: Mirror's Edge DLC Delayed Jan 29, 2009, 03:14 sponge

EA should fix the farking BLACK SCREEN bug. I haven't been able to play the copy I paid for. So screw the DLC... Fix the sh1t first you money sucking vampires!

I have a feeling engine programmers had very little to do with the artists making the maps.

News Comments > On PC Gaming
20. Re: On PC Gaming Jan 27, 2009, 03:12 sponge

True, except Valve wouldn't be doing it if MS had never created the Xbox in the first place.

And I would get laid more often if I weren't ugly in the first place

Platform developer has internal QA before pushing content out to customers. Conspiracy at 11.

News Comments > On PC Gaming
17. Re: On PC Gaming Jan 27, 2009, 03:04 sponge

How lame. Yet another reason why M$ is killing PC gaming.

Except Valve is doing it. They didn't wait for MS to certify TF2 extra content before adding it to PC.

News Comments > CoD: World at War Tools
4. Re: CoD: World at War Tools Jan 25, 2009, 09:06 sponge

WTF are you talking about? This is the same exact engine that was used for CoD4. It's a direct descendant of the Quake 3 engine.

You said CoD4 is based off of Q3. Prepare for mindless posts vapid of argument, and the re-pasting of the one article that says it's a new engine even though it's very clearly not.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Jan 24, 2009, 16:47 sponge

Horror != zombies. L4D, CoD aren't scary games. Though personally I don't find any game scary, so I'm not sure how a horror co-op game would work.  

News Comments > The Future of Team Fortress 2
13. Re: The Future of Team Fortress 2 Jan 21, 2009, 00:38 sponge

I guess while I'm here, I'll complain about that too. The sentry gun is not supposed to be some one man defense squad. It should be part of a team's defense, having to deal with humans chasing you out as you take potshots at it, and then if you pass them, you have to deal with the sentry gun/engineer inside. There's no way that can be overcome by a skilled player.  

11. Re: The Future of Team Fortress 2 Jan 21, 2009, 00:29 sponge

If it's taken them over a year to acknowledge out that no friendly fire weakens the spy, I don't have much faith in a good solution arising.

Of course it's mostly academic at this point as far as I'm concerned; I only play TF2 (and L4D, but that's something else) with some of my college friends. I just like complaining.

6. Re: The Future of Team Fortress 2 Jan 20, 2009, 21:30 sponge

Maybe the Spy wouldn't be as useless if they didn't remove friendly fire and player collisions between teammates, and gave him nothing in return.

This comment was edited on Jan 20, 2009, 21:42.

News Comments > Circuit City Closing
9. Re: Circuit City Closing Jan 16, 2009, 18:06 sponge

I oughta use this $10 CC gift card then.  

News Comments > DOOM 4 Writer Revealed
51. Re: DOOM 4 Writer Revealed Jan 15, 2009, 17:10 sponge

I don't know, I have trouble getting on-board with a story when I'm supposed to be the main character, yet I say nothing the entire time. If these games want to be movies so bad, why don't they present themselves like movies? Hell, I'm more invested in Marcus Fenix as a character than I am Gordon Freeman; at least I can see what Marcus is doing, saying, and thinking. Gordon is a spectator holding a gun

I don't necessarily disagree, I always find stories in a game to not matter much to me, just used your post to make a point of something that bugs me when it comes to gaming more than anything. (If you're even still reading this thread... since threads like this usually explode with rambling diatribes, I don't bother keeping up with new posts.)

News Comments > DOOM 4 Writer Revealed
17. Re: DOOM 4 Writer Revealed Jan 15, 2009, 12:33 sponge

I simply do not care about a story in an action game. I don't need to know why I'm blowing something up or wiping out an alien race. Give me guns, things that die, things that catch fire. The end.

Funny, opinions like yours seems to be an extreme minority when talking about the Half-Life series. Yet now they seem to be overall what people want?

News Comments > Cartoon Network Universe: FusionFall Launches
5. Re: Cartoon Network Universe: FusionFall Jan 14, 2009, 08:51 sponge

Some of those cartoons were awesome though. In a weird acid trip, black humour kind of way. Especially Dexter's Lab and Power Puff Girls. I swear these cartoons are NOT for kids.

I don't know about PPG, but I definitely was/am a watcher of Dexter's Lab. Johnny Bravo is classic, too. In terms of modern stuff, I still watch Foster's Home, Flapjack, and Chowder, the latter of which has the occasional 80s movie reference thrown in (which we are approaching 30 years since the 80s... scary)

News Comments > On L4D's "Stylized Darkness"
10. Re: On L4D's Jan 6, 2009, 00:42 sponge

I'm pretty sure people mocked Doom 3 because you couldn't use your flashlight and aim at the same time, hence the whole "black screen" joke.

But hey, whatever, damn those nerds with their failed attempts at group thinking!!

But by doubting Doom3 a PC first game, and thus implicitly supporting L4D, you are supporting the Console Elite & the 360 port that forced the lobby system on the PC! THIS DISCRETION SHALL NOT GO UNMARKED ON MY CRIMES AGAINST PC-HUMANITY. (Of course what you said isn't even close to reality, but I know you have a loose connection with it, so I won't even bother)

As for everyone else who isn't a rambling buffoon, I actually bought L4D from a friend's 4 pack for $37.50 a pop, and have probably gotten a good 30 hours from it, despite the poorly balanced versus mode. However, "stylized darkness" is still a dumbass statement enough to make a top PR firm veteran blush.

News Comments > On L4D's "Stylized Darkness"
1. Re: On L4D's "Stylized Darkness" Jan 5, 2009, 21:59 sponge

But if this were Doom3, there would be all sorts of idiots claiming that the engine can't do brightness, posting a completely black image and making the oh so hilarious joke, while all chuckling to themselves as they really got them good!

Nerd group-rage is a very sad thing. It's like "group-think" but with less think.

2696 Comments. 135 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo