Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for sponge

Real Name sponge   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname sponge
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 4029304
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Aug 28, 2002, 10:38
Total Comments 2696 (Senior)
User ID 14076

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > Carmack on PC Gaming
79. Re: ... Jul 14, 2008, 03:21 sponge

In PC Gamer Cevat Yerli himself says that not only did Crysis surpass EA's expectations, but they made a nice profit with it too. He's just convinced that it could have sold millions more without piracy, ignoring the fact that games with sales numbers he's comparing to had massive marketing budgets that likely exceeded the budget of Crysis in its entirety.

It's not even a matter of the quality of the game here. This annoying bullshit talking about piracy in the wake of fantastic sales, ignoring marketing, is fucking ridiculous.

If that's the case, then that's the case. I don't see anything wrong with pointing out "our game was pirated a buttload!" even if it was successful, it's just how you point it out in the first place.

Weren't there rumblings internally about the game not selling as well as they thought, though? That's the only thing I remember specifically being said. I don't think any company would willingly say "yea this game was a disappointment" especially when it's still on the shelves, but I don't think every public statement is a case of "Flagship is really doing OK!" either.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

72. Re: Id lost their Identity Jul 14, 2008, 01:24 sponge

I think someone has actually said something to that extent before.

I wouldn't be surprised, I took the most obvious "pun" I could find.

71. Re: ... Jul 14, 2008, 01:23 sponge

How the fuck can these people continue to proclaim Crysis a failure when it sold 1.5 million copies with absolutely no mainstream marketing whatsoever?

Do these people not understand how much money they spent on marketing successful titles like Halo 3, Assassin's Creed, Vegas 2, and others?

It depends on how much money they spent making Crysis. $75mil in revenue means nothing when you've got $74mil in expenses. Of course there are no numbers of how much they spent, so any statement as to it's financial success is complete bullshit.

69. Re: Id lost their Identity Jul 14, 2008, 01:19 sponge

All that the 360 and PS3(nivida & ati last gen)are is an oem PC.

You consider Blade servers a last-gen OEM PC? You are aware that the Cell Processor is a real processor that's not just marketing hype like the Emotion Engine was, and has several uses in high-end computing?

Carmack is really a huge disappointment here. Carmack finally put the con in Quakecon. Hope he is able to catch up to the ipod train so he can blast off and outta here.

I guess you didn't read the article. I swear, the morons like you on this site go absolutely fucking batshit insane everytime someone expresses even the most minor of issues with the PC market, even if they express praise in the same fucking sentence. So fucking defensive about a piece of consumer electronics sitting in people's living rooms.

Put the con in Quakecon? Seriously? That's on the level of "THIS SITE IS TRULY SOMETHING AWFUL!" or "BLUE'S NEWS REALLY MAKES ME BLUE READING IT!" You're aware "con" means "convention" here, right?

51. Re: baH, go hold Crytek's hand Jul 13, 2008, 20:25 sponge

How this can upset Carmack when his code STILL cannot load balance properly on servers(to the point where Unlagged code is now in QL)? and btw, sh*t still don't work.

Do you even know what Unlagged did in Quake3? Nothing to do with load balancing, you dumbass. Please shut up from now on.

50. Re: ... Jul 13, 2008, 20:23 sponge

Only that we have 3D cards and graphics technologies and features used in games that we take for granted today mostly because of his influence.

You act like he's old enough to know that.

34. Re: No subject Jul 13, 2008, 17:59 sponge

Q3:Arena DS or Quake II DS, please, or some sort of confirmation of one. Even it requires an extra RAM cart in slot-2 to get it running properly. Fuck it. If anyone can squeeze Quake 3 onto the system constraints of the DS and do it right, it's Carmack. An id (developed INHOUSE)MP FPS of near PC-level quality on the DS would be hugely successful, considering the shitetastically meager offerings so far and the masses of DS owners looking for something, ANYTHING approaching hardcore. They could easily take the crown away from MP:H, which is basically Q3 Lite anyway.

At the QCon 2007 speech, Carmack mentioned his desire to do a Quake Arena game for the DS, which would play like Doom deathmatch. The way he spoke about it made it seem like it was a sure thing, just a matter of time. Personally, I can't wait.

33. Re: No subject Jul 13, 2008, 17:57 sponge

Are we talking PC & 360 (which are so close some joke you could swap logos and it'd be considered ported)? Are we talking like PhyreEngine which was developed by Codemasters on Sony's tab, and subsequently used for multiple 360, PS3 and Wii games?
Are we talking about an engine that is perfect on PC and easily ported to other consoles but lacks any special routines native to the particular console (I suppose this could be classed in the same vein as my first definition)...

This has been stated in many interviews before. id Tech 5 can run on PC, Mac, 360, and PS3 without the need to port. It has also been running on Linux in the past, but from what I understand, it's not really important, though will likely happen anyway.

News Comments > Spore "Prototype" Released
3. Re: No subject Jul 13, 2008, 16:16 sponge

Seeing tech demos come out of Spore development is pretty cool, actually.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: OCZ Keyboard Jul 11, 2008, 03:04 sponge

I specifically bought an MX518 after my G5 died rather early on. Still the best mouse on the market, IMO.

News Comments > Far Cry 2 Q&A
7. Re: No subject Jul 10, 2008, 18:33 sponge

its another way of saying we could have sold 15-20 times more because of piracy.

No, saying we lost 15-20x sales because of piracy is another way to say that. Saying the game was pirated x amount is a statement of fact.

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: ... Jul 10, 2008, 02:22 sponge

Yes, but I much prefer the occasional "red face splat" than games like UT3 where you have to pre-empt where you're going to shoot based upon your ping. I've always loved the netcode of Half-Life / Source based games in comparison to other games, even if it isn't perfect.

You shouldn't have to do either. Of course the problem with using backwards reconciliation is that you'll sometimes die even though you were behind a wall; this is because the lagged client shot you while you were still visible on his screen.

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
6. Re: No subject Jul 9, 2008, 21:23 sponge

Sounds like you haven't seen Haze yet.

Holy hell, Crysis Warfare is the second most generic awful looking game I've ever seen.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: No subject Jul 9, 2008, 21:20 sponge

Happens to me as a sniper all the damn time where I'll headshot a player model, the blood splat will show on the face, but no hit will be registered with the server. I call it a client side hit.

I take that to mean that the Source engine does not perform backwards reconciliation on the server if it happens often. This should be surprising, as even freeware games like Warsow use a similar system inspired by a Quake3 mod, but we're talking about Valve here.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
11. Re: No subject Jul 9, 2008, 18:19 sponge

too bad vista does suck, and they are already going to replace it in 3 years

lol?

Windows 3.1 -> Windows 95: 3 years
Windows 95 -> Windows 98: 3 years
Windows 98 -> Windows ME: 2 years
Windows ME -> Windows XP: 1 year

Do some research, idiot.

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
3. Re: No subject Jul 9, 2008, 18:07 sponge

I just watched a couple of videos on IGN. Holy hell, this is the most generic awful looking game I've ever seen. Consider what little hype I had for this game quashed.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
16. Re: No subject Jul 9, 2008, 17:45 sponge

And the amount of money required to recoup the investment on those games was SO similar to that of DNF....

And on the assumption that the gaming market has stood still since 1996... well maybe the PC has.

News Comments > id: Rage "On a Whole New Level"
53. Re: Judas Priest Jul 9, 2008, 17:04 sponge

Goes to show, you can't play by the numbers can you Todd?

You can play by their numbers until at least until their next game comes out. D3 scored very well on Metacritic and the like, did Judas Priest get pretty good reviews too? (Honest question, I was 2 years old then)

There's also the fact that the game leaked a week early on BitTorrent, giving people a week more for word to get out about it.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: No subject Jul 8, 2008, 22:56 sponge

Vista is really good.

I would absolutely kill for many of the Explorer enhancements in XP, most significantly the new file copy dialog box with the speed and time estimate, and the better error handling.

Otherwise, I run Vista on my laptop since in a twist of irony the drivers don't work on XP, and haven't had any real issues post-tweaking. I find myself using Debian more and more on my laptop though-- really the only thing stopping me is CS3.

2696 Comments. 135 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo