Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for sponge

Real Name sponge   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname sponge
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 4029304
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Aug 28, 2002, 10:38
Total Comments 2696 (Senior)
User ID 14076

User comment history
< Newer [ 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 ] Older >

News Comments > Battlefield 2142 Personal Data Clarification
92. Re: No subject Oct 18, 2006, 16:01 sponge

I went by short for malicious software. I'm actually confusing my point a bit though: which was spyware is NOT now called malware because MajorGeeks wishes to plug his forums and call it that with a condescending tone towards the rest of us.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

87. Re: No subject Oct 18, 2006, 15:54 sponge

(Valve, ThreeWave, Etc.)

Threewave!? As in CTF Threewave?!? What the hell have they done that's following in THEIR footsteps. Someone's got an ax to grind methinks.

86. Re: No subject Oct 18, 2006, 15:52 sponge

LOL, so spyware is a specific from of malware, that is why we call it all malware now, in a world where we assist people removing this crap 24\7. http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35

I see, so it's malware beacuse your site says so?

Quoth the Webster's New Millenium Dictionary of English:

malware: "software, such as viruses, intended to damage or disable a computer system; short for malicious software; also written mal-ware"

spyware: "any software that covertly gathers information about a user while he/she navigates the Internet and transmits the information to an individual or company that uses it for marketing or other purposes"

All spyware is malware. All malware isn't spyware. I'm going to take Webster's word over your word, no matter how many people you help.

23. Re: No subject Oct 18, 2006, 11:29 sponge

Since spyware, really called malware now

Says who? Malware is defined a general term for "bad stuff" -- viruses, trojans, worms, and so on. Spyware is a SPECIFIC TYPE of malware. I must've not have gotten the memo of them changing the name.

7. Re: No subject Oct 18, 2006, 10:39 sponge

Heh, here we are with a potentially AWFUL trend of advertising in games, and what do people here use as a counter-argument?

How many background processes (1) and use of system resources.

So all they have to do is integrate it into the binary and make it less hoggish, then hey, no problems! Everyone's happy!

It's like there's a 900 pound gorilla on the loose, and the only thing you're complaining about is how it smells bad.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Battlefield 2142
78. Re: No subject Oct 18, 2006, 01:31 sponge

I await Quake Wars and by God bring back the greatness that was Tribes. Just keep Vivendi software as far away from it that you can.

Rumours have been rumbling about the GarageGames folks. If anyone can give Tribes the justice it deserves, it's GG.

News Comments > Knights of the Nine Announced
10. Re: Sweet, Oct 18, 2006, 01:28 sponge

I can't say I'm surprised. I think the time to develop a Tribunal/Bloodmoon type of addon would be too restrictive content creation wise. I prefer to look at the bundling of the microtransactions as them trying to make up for a bad idea, but I'm an optimist like that.

News Comments > Battlefield 2142 Patch
88. Re: No subject Oct 17, 2006, 21:52 sponge

How is that fucking up the stats? That is just going to get you more of the same ads, and make EA record that you have a foot fetish.

IT'S CALLED A JOKE. MAYBE IF YOU DIDN'T WASTE ALL YOUR TIME POSTING 15 TIMES IN A ROW YOU MIGHT GAIN A SENSE OF HUMOR.

[edit typo i wrote in a sheer blood curling rage]
This comment was edited on Oct 17, 21:56.

86. Re: And so it begins. Oct 17, 2006, 21:47 sponge

But you don't honestly believe it will STAY that way, do you? Within a year of this in game advertising taking off, you'll get Lexus ads in your medieval ROLEPLAYING game.

Doesn't matter if it stays that way to me. It doesn't change the fact that I like real-world products in realistic games. I don't like ads in unrealistic future/past settings like BF2142. To me, it's the same as advertising War Bonds in a WWII game. If it fits, then it gets my approval.

If it doesn't stay that way, then that just means a lot less games that I approve.
This comment was edited on Oct 17, 21:48.

80. Re: No subject Oct 17, 2006, 21:21 sponge

That sounds like a GREAT way to have fun with the game you just plunked 50 bucks down for. Since when did playing games become fucking WORK?

Heh, I'd get a certain amount of satisfaction fucking up the stats by for example using a sniper rifle to zoom in on a woman's foot for 15 minutes. $50 satisfaction, no, maybe $10 or $15.

79. Re: And so it begins. Oct 17, 2006, 21:19 sponge

3. I don't like in game ads. I won't live with them. I will not play games with in game adverstising unless I can block them out. I won't buy bf2142 because it's a total conversion mod, not worth the asking price, and the in game ads are a turn off. Also the EA/DICE history of patching problems turns me off even more.

Honest question, what about racing games with licensed cars, or a game that takes place in NYC where you normally WOULD see ads? Static ads, no tracking, no nothing. I'm more than willing to tolerate ads if it is conducive to the environment. Ads for a Lexus in a game 150 years in the future, negative, but billboads on skyscrapers in a realistic setting, sure.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Sam & Max Episode One
5. Re: 9 out of 10.. Oct 17, 2006, 12:25 sponge

Yea, it's a pretty cool service, has a lot of good games. I've been constantly tempted to get it for a couple of months, but I don't go through a lot of games.

News Comments > Source Does a 360
17. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2006, 17:33 sponge

We really are in between two generations of technology: you have the Source engines being the pinnacle of their type, and engines like Doom3, UE3 which are experimenting an entirely new approach.

News Comments > Mac Quake 4 Patch Redux
4. Re: No subject Oct 15, 2006, 00:29 sponge

Hey, at least fred didn't whip out the 'classic' "Is this the patch that makes the game fun."

News Comments > Digital Distribution Deals
11. Re: Wow... Oct 13, 2006, 02:09 sponge

Day of Defeat: Source

Terrible unbalanced at time maps, don't like the capture the points gameplay.

Battlefield 1942

Don't like vehicle whore games

Red Orchestra

Don't really want to play an uber-realistic game competitively.

To call Search & Destroy CoD2 like any of the above games is ignorant at best. Turned down the gfx to DX7, and I get 60+ FPS no problem on a moderately old system. I'd play CoD1, but the community isn't nearly as alive.

News Comments > Red Orchestra Patch Plans
2. Re: Great News Oct 12, 2006, 19:03 sponge

Don't you mean WONDERFUL MOD?!?!?!?!?!11

News Comments > Digital Distribution Deals
2. Re: Wow... Oct 12, 2006, 17:40 sponge

CoD2/CoD1 on Steam is a big deal. Both games are in the top 10-15 games in terms of player numbers, and this will only help.

If I'm not mistaken, this is also the first Steam game with PunkBuster support.

This comment was edited on Oct 12, 17:40.

News Comments > Quake Maps Source
1. No subject Oct 12, 2006, 12:08 sponge

Very cool. I've torn into a few of these already and looked around. Huge props to id and John for releasing this.

News Comments > Gold - Snoopy vs The Red Baron
2. Re: No subject Oct 12, 2006, 12:07 sponge

Yea, this could be a fun little game.

News Comments > Triton Closes - Prey for a Solution
146. Re: Aha! Oct 12, 2006, 10:37 sponge

Red Orchestra client and common are packed as NCF. The maps, etc, are in a plain dir named common under SteamApps.

This comment was edited on Oct 12, 10:38.

2696 Comments. 135 pages. Viewing page 65.
< Newer [ 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo