Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Moonbender

Real Name Moonbender   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 15733392
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 25, 2002, 23:24
Total Comments 661 (Apprentice)
User ID 14023

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
65. Re: Happy Anniversary Blue! Apr 28, 2005, 02:40 Moonbender

I agree the negotiator game is dumb, but I finished it giving him only 60 bucks (40?), at least I'm pretty sure I did.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Image of the Day Apr 27, 2005, 14:38 Moonbender

I think this will have a greater effect than SpaceShip One - on the real world, anyway, maybe not the Internet - but biggest news of the century really is a bit over the top. Then again, biggest news of X statements are fairly meaningless in any event. (That includes game of the year awards, IMHO.)

21. Re: No subject Apr 27, 2005, 13:29 Moonbender

Unless the demographic trend is radically different in the US than in Europe, there are so few families of 3+ children of less than 5 years that this group[1] is really irrelevant and not worth arguing about - so I won't. But yeah, there are a couple of groups of people who need large, heavy vehicles, and there's also the need for trucks carrying around goods. That doesn't change the fact that in buying a heavier car because it's supposedly safer than a a more sane, small car people are contributing to a perpetual cycle that just ends up making the streets more dangerous for everyone, themselves included.

1: Especially since we're talking about the intersection with the group of people wealthy enough to buy and maintain SUVs.

14. Re: No subject Apr 27, 2005, 12:41 Moonbender

Heavier vs lighter cars: Isn't this a really old story? Heavier cars may be safer in a crash situation, but only at the cost of being more dangerous to the other party. That follows immediatly from that quote. If everyone drove lighter cars, the overall risk would be lower. If everyone drives SUVs, the overall risk is higher. This has been referred to as a road arms race.
Of course, all of this applies if there is an accident and does not take into consideration the (crucial) question whether large/heavy cars are more likely to get into an accident in the first place.

Also: Small cars have twice as many occupant deaths each year as large cars. - Taken literally, that just gives us an absolute number, which is worthless unless you know how many small cards vs large cars (per their definitions) there are. Here in Europe, I bet that is true - there are probably three or four or more times as many, really - but anything else would be extremely odd since there are easily more than 5 times as many normal cars than SUVs.

News Comments > Source Map Plans
12. Re: No subject Apr 24, 2005, 09:22 Moonbender

Gosh, how original.

News Comments > Source Map Plans
6. Re: Inferno! Apr 23, 2005, 10:37 Moonbender

Tango: No, there are no AS maps in CS:S.

News Comments > New NVIDIA Drivers
11. Re: No subject Apr 14, 2005, 15:31 Moonbender

Heh, apparently the switch from Ti4200 to 6600 is popular. I've been pushing it off for, well, about since the first AGP 6600 was released. The only thing stopping me is that I just don't have any problems with the performance I'm getting at the moment. I guess it'll happen eventually.

Edit: BTW, the first out-of-the-box passively cooled 6600s are slowly becoming available now... that's pretty sweet.
This comment was edited on Apr 14, 15:33.

News Comments > Buy Demise
1. Mordor Apr 9, 2005, 08:48 Moonbender

I loved the original Mordor, although I never got far. The sequels didn't appeal to me as much, though... IIRC they had this ugly looking 3D component. They should have sticked to overhead 2D. I'd love a modern overhead 2D RPG, nethack just doesn't cut it.

News Comments > Gold - Empire Earth II
2. Re: cool Apr 8, 2005, 17:22 Moonbender

The original EE was the only RTS in ages that I mildly enjoyed, mostly because it was a little bit like Civilisation. Vanilla Civ is still more fun, though.

News Comments > Eidos/SCi Update
5. Re: No subject Apr 7, 2005, 13:23 Moonbender

SCi also released Richard Burns Rally which is easily the best rally game ever made. They're not all bad.

News Comments > Hello World
87. Re: blue <3 Apr 6, 2005, 07:04 Moonbender

Woohoo!

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Das Roboss
10. Re: Das Roboss ass Feb 11, 2005, 14:06 Moonbender

That whole ending where you ...

Ummmm please don't spoil? Too late for me, though. Jeez.

News Comments > Euro WoW Patches
3. Re: Patch notes Feb 11, 2005, 11:21 Moonbender

The EU beta ended last Monday. We're a released Blizzard game now, which basically means that nothing works anymore because "nobody could have forseen the number of players". Account signup down, 40 minute queues, way too few servers, 1500+ pings, yep, we've got it all. Morons.

News Comments > New GTR Demo
16. Re: No subject Feb 11, 2005, 11:14 Moonbender

They put the copy protection on the demo exe so that crackers don't even have that as a jumping off point for breaking the protection.

Instead they have the actual copy protection that is in the final version as a jumping point... Which might be even more useful. Nope, I don't get it, copy-protecting a demo just doesn't make any sense to me.

News Comments > Ion Storm Closed
24. Re: Be concerned, be VERY concerned. Feb 10, 2005, 21:02 Moonbender

Pirates do hurt game business. But it's the people who do buy the "safe bet" games that hurt gaming itself!

News Comments > Misc. Patches
2. Re: Bullets Feb 10, 2005, 16:34 Moonbender

Or maybe just highlight the games involved some other way. That said, I don't really care either way. I do want the preview button back, though!

News Comments > Pirates! Fix
6. Re: 3rd legs wooden Feb 5, 2005, 20:53 Moonbender

No, it's not the same. If it was, it would take longer than an hour to get a hold of the biggest ship in the game, and you wouldn't be able to easily capture it with a freaking Sloop. I also wouldn't have finished my first game with the highest rank you can attain in the game, something I've never accomplished in the original.

18. Re: Cookie Girls Feb 5, 2005, 15:49 Moonbender

The teenagers' families offered to pay Young's medical bills, but she declined and sued, saying their apologies were not sincere and were not offered in person.

Unbelievable. I really mean it, this story sounds like it from the Onion or something.

"I'm not gloating about it. I just hope the girls learned a lesson."

Yes, I'm sure they have.

News Comments > Source Engine Update
9. Re: Why Can't they fix the Hack Exploit? Feb 3, 2005, 13:53 Moonbender

If I were to take a guess is that WOW runs the world from thier server, while HL2 maps run locally on your pc.

Take another guess, because that one doesn't make a lot of sense. The models and textures and everything else still has to be available locally, streaming that kind of data over the net is really not viable at this point.

News Comments > Euro MMO Dates
6. Re: No subject Feb 3, 2005, 07:28 Moonbender

You never get to demo MMORPGs? I beg to differ. Most have an open beta test immediately before release, which might as well be called a demo, because all parties involved certainly treat it like one. Of course, it's still a beta, so stuff might not work as advertised - which is a fair representation of what the full game will be like. Also, most MMORPGs are desperate enough to give away free game time after a while - not the big ones, though, they don't have to resort to that.

661 Comments. 34 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo