Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul J Turner

Real Name Paul J Turner   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname UnderLord
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Born an Englishman, living in Australia, Self-employed, Life is Good!
I've been into electronics and computing since the Apple][ and the Intel 4004.
Still loving both jobs/hobbies!
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2002, 22:54
Total Comments 525 (Apprentice)
User ID 13987

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 30, 2010, 22:04 UnderLord

I'm really no fan at all of free-codecs.com and don't appreciate being directed to them instead of directly to the source companies.
I presume there's dollars involved, but I really do detest them as yet another useless middleman outfit adding nothing of value to the user.
Just so you know.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: DRM Is Toxic To Culture Oct 28, 2010, 22:20 UnderLord

He does say in the article "...what I call Digital Restriction Measures..." so I think he is just setting the tone at the start.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Google 411 Oct 9, 2010, 20:28 UnderLord

It isn't made really clear in the article, but the service was created solely to train Google's voice recognition software.
See http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/10/09/google_kills_goog_four_one_one/
As Google poster child Marissa Mayer once explained, the service was simply a means of training its speech-to-text engine as the company prepared to launch voice applications on mobile phones and beyond.

"The reason we really did it is because we need to build a great speech-to-text model … that we can use for all kinds of different things, including video search," she said.

"The speech recognition experts that we have say: If you want us to build a really robust speech model, we need a lot of phonemes, which is a syllable as spoken by a particular voice with a particular intonation. So we need a lot of people talking, saying things so that we can ultimately train off of that. … So 1-800-GOOG-411 is about that: Getting a bunch of different speech samples so that when you call up or we’re trying to get the voice out of video, we can do it with high accuracy."

News Comments > 11 bit studios Launches
3. Re: 11 bit studios Launches Oct 8, 2010, 17:20 UnderLord

11 Bit Studios eh? so they'll be making 2K Games?  

News Comments > US Army on MoH Taliban Controversy
15. Re: US Army on MoH Taliban Controversy Oct 2, 2010, 17:44 UnderLord

I wonder if the 'Opposing Force' will just happen to have full beards...  

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: Uwe Boll the subject of new documentary called Raging Boll Sep 24, 2010, 07:14 UnderLord

Great, I hope someone makes a really crap game of it.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Microsoft, Intel tout faster IE9 graphics Sep 13, 2010, 21:16 UnderLord

Compared to Firefox? Not really! - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/09/13/mozilla_v_windows_on_hardware_acceleration/  

2. Re: Nano technology could cool the heat from server farms Sep 7, 2010, 22:19 UnderLord

Utter bollocks! Having a better heat-conducting liquid moving the heat from the CPU to the heatsink doesn't make a milliwatt of difference to how much power the chip uses, so the heat output is unchanged.  

2. Re: OCZ Drops DRAM Production Aug 25, 2010, 23:42 UnderLord

Not everybody is afraid of hard work and low margins though, Samsung for instance What is OCZ's plan for when SSDs are commodity items without an exorbitant markup?  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Tongue piercings 'can cause damage to teeth' Aug 8, 2010, 16:54 UnderLord

That's the least of the worries about tongue piercings - Tongue Piercings Could Lead to Severe Brain Infections  

113. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2010, 16:10 UnderLord

My sincerest condolences to yourself and your family.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Windows Intune pricing announced, beta 2 released Jul 12, 2010, 18:58 UnderLord

US$11 a month? screw that.
I'm still wondering if my Flickr Pro' account is worth US$2 a month!
The overpaid tossers at Microsoft are completely out of touch with people still doing it tough as the recession drags on.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
2. Re: Have Online Communities become Havens for the Terminally Angry? Jul 12, 2010, 03:00 UnderLord

Don't be silly, I'm sure I'd recognise Mel Gibson if I came across him on the 'net :-)  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2010, 20:37 UnderLord

If you have heating problems in Winter (high ceilings etc) then maybe you should consider reverse-cycle air conditioning to pump existing heat in from outside during cold weather.
It's much cheaper than creating heat and you will have the option of using it for cooling in hot weather too.

News Comments > DigitalMindSoft Steamed at Steam
32. Re: DigitalMindSoft Steamed at Steam Jun 5, 2010, 22:40 UnderLord

"...very disappointing for us as we see our game having so many problems..." Perhaps if you'd coded it right and done decent product testing in the first place...  

News Comments > Doctor Who in the UK
13. Re: Doctor Who in the UK Jun 3, 2010, 18:25 UnderLord

I'm in Australia and Dr Who is shown on our Tax-payer funded ABC channel, so I've contributed too.
And I was born in the UK and have dual citizenship and return every 4 years, pretty please?
Type in 'bbc.co.uk' and it redirects to 'www.bbc.co.uk' not 'ukw.bbc.go.uk', type in 'hulu.com' and it redirects to 'www.hulu.com' not 'usw.hulu.com' They need to look up what 'www' stands for.
Just as well I have friends and family in the UK...

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: GIGABYTE expects laptops to decline in popularity Jun 3, 2010, 02:12 UnderLord

I kind of half agree about cloud storage not taking off and people keeping their data at home.
I would never trust the only copy of my data to someone else with no accountability, and I would think anyone who did was careless.
On the other hand, I always keep at least two copies of all data in well separated locations.
I wouldn't mind having a handheld portable as well as a home PC, but wireless data costs will have to come *way* down before I will be using it for internet activities.

8. Re: RIP PC Jun 3, 2010, 02:03 UnderLord

Contrariwise, on Blues a few hours later we have a link to this story - GIGABYTE expects laptops to decline in popularity - The Tech Report. - http://techreport.com/discussions.x/19016

... "smart" handheld devices will gradually replace notebooks, and we will see a resurgence of desktop PCs before too long. ...

I like that story better ;-) (It's OK to be biased if you know you are, right?)

5. Re: RIP PC Jun 2, 2010, 22:39 UnderLord

Oh, and all that content on the internet will be hosted on millions, maybe even billions of Blade CPUs. And none of those minimal blade PCs will be running MacOS, it will be either Windows or Linux.  

4. Re: RIP PC Jun 2, 2010, 22:07 UnderLord

Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols is a complete fruit-loop!
Microsoft don't even make PCs
He should try adding up Dell, Asus, Gigabyte, HP, Lenovo and the rest of the PC and Laptop manufacturing companies and then get back to me.

525 Comments. 27 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo