Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul J Turner

Real Name Paul J Turner   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname UnderLord
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Born an Englishman, living in Australia, Self-employed, Life is Good!
I've been into electronics and computing since the Apple][ and the Intel 4004.
Still loving both jobs/hobbies!
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2002, 22:54
Total Comments 523 (Apprentice)
User ID 13987

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
67. Not a coffee aroma... Aug 11, 2004, 21:54 UnderLord

What BS, Now we have decoded the coffee genome, we'll make a better coffee through good old-fashioned breeding and hybridisation, like we have been trying for years.
A blatant attempt to head off lost sales when folk reject CM coffee.
Do they really think wer're that stupid?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: Online Games Jul 16, 2004, 18:07 UnderLord

Personally, I think ALL multiplayer gaming is given far more attention than it deserves.
The only reason game makers made multi-player and then massively multi-player games is that the minority who favour multiplayer games are by their very nature a vociferous minority ('look at what me', 'look at what I can do' types).
Obviously ID and Valve have finally realised this and hence the focus on single-player in the new generation of games.
About time! (don't forget single-player FPS is what MADE this genre in the first place)

News Comments > Out of the Blue
31. Problems viewing sites Jun 22, 2004, 22:37 UnderLord

I mentioned yesterday in the tech-bits that I couldn't access Arstechnica all day.
I left the window with the error-message open overnight and this morning, I press enter on the Address line and it opens right up, so it wasn't any installed software problem.
I'm not so upset about the delay, but I am worried that maybe some cowardly deceitful blocking was going on by my ISP, just passing it off as a 'can't find it' problem.
Perhaps they set their net too fine, or hopefully it was just a glitch, although the name was resolved to an IP address by DNS...

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Got their Ars Kicked? Jun 21, 2004, 22:27 UnderLord

It *could* be just me, but I can't reach the Arstechnica site, by browser or ping.
I'm wondering if Intel took offense to the Prescott review?

News Comments > id: DOOM 3 This Summer
95. Summer? May 12, 2004, 04:02 UnderLord

Summer? Do their PR guys have any idea how long it will be until Summer in Australia?
They want a global market and fan-base but haven't a clue what "www" stands for as usual.

(And your maps of the world are drawn upside-down too! ;-)

This comment was edited on May 12, 04:03.

News Comments > Unreal Engine Plans
30. Too Tense - Relax Jan 25, 2004, 18:53 UnderLord

O.K, I just had a quick Google and I'll concede that is technically correct -
http://www.lks.ac.th/jongdream/present%20perfect%20cont.html
But in everyday usage, I reckon it's a giveaway.
Anyway, I can hope can't I?, The sooner one of these hyped mega games actually ships the better we'll all like it.

News Comments > Unreal Engine Plans
28. Read Carefully! Jan 25, 2004, 18:42 UnderLord

27 posts about whether or not we need soft shadows in games, and not one of you seems to have picked up on the key word in the comment by Tim.
The key word is "been" as in past tense, they're obviously finished doing that part of the R&D, so you'll be getting soft shadows, end of story!
Now then Tim, how about a screenshot? :-)

News Comments > TRON 2.0 Patch
1. 1.040? Nov 12, 2003, 01:15 UnderLord

Shouldn't that be 2.040?

News Comments > UT2004 in 2004
57. Well Spotted, duckmaster Nov 1, 2003, 02:08 UnderLord

The post I sent in using my day-job persona was largely composed of an earlier post I did using this, my home persona, and another post I never did actually post, just composed.
It's not that I really wanted two user-IDs at Blues, but I just had one of those unmemorable passwords set for home use and couldn;t remember it at work, so I set up another ID. But we are Borg, trust me!

News Comments > Half-Life 2: Delay? Maybe, Playable? Yes
149. Re: Banning SmellFinger Oct 8, 2003, 06:35 UnderLord

Since we don't even agree if the leak was good or bad, negligence or very peculiar marketing, who's to say?
It's Blues' call.
Anyway I haven't come across SmellFinger before, so I suppose someone had half a brain at least and just created an ID to post with (if that idea occurred to me, it would surely occur to the devious and naughty!)

News Comments > NVIDIA & Half-Life 2
147. A worthwhile 3rd player at last? Sep 16, 2003, 06:44 UnderLord

Nvidia AND ATI might need to watch out.
Take a look at www.xgitech.com.
Major looking hardware specs, but I'll need to see some deeper tech info to be convinced some guys coming out of nowhere can really deliver the goods.
(Not dissing any waste-of-time BitBoyz, honest

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Nice Marketing Aug 21, 2003, 22:49 UnderLord

So, it's "No more free IE updates" followed by "Oh look, IE *IS* fatally flawed".
I suppose we'll have to BUY the replacement, eh?
Makes you wonder who *did* write POZA, that looked like it could hurt MS, but was fatally flawed...

News Comments > Games = Free Speech
57. Thinking Ahead Jun 5, 2003, 03:00 UnderLord

The 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals has killed two birds with one stone, as far as I can see. The people making software to distort the presentation of movies (to make them 'PC') are on a loser from here on in. The movie as made as intended to be seen by the movie companies will certainly fit nicely under this interpretation, no 'particularized message' required, and the 'medium is of no legal consequence' to qualify for protection.

News Comments > Futuremark & NVIDIA Make Nice
16. Re: Damn straight they cheated! Jun 3, 2003, 05:03 UnderLord

It's not dead, it just needs new drivers.
I can probably get another 3 furlongs/fortnight with 44.03...

News Comments > Futuremark & NVIDIA Make Nice
14. Damn straight they cheated! Jun 3, 2003, 04:34 UnderLord

So you create a Hardware Abstraction Layer and the DirectX API, specifically so that the app' can be unaware of the hardware. Then the Hardware guys make a mockery of it by specifically being aware of the application for the sole purpose of getting better performance scores, EVEN THOUGH they produce inferior images than they would if 'un-optimized', and that's not cheating?
And if you're a newbie game developer, will Nvidia rush out driver patches to improve your game performance for free?

News Comments > Duke Nukem Whenever
89. Don't bother May 30, 2003, 04:04 UnderLord

If I were 3DR I'd quit now. The 'Faithful' have waited so long, that when it finally comes out, it will be dead easy for them to wait another year until it's in the bargain bin.
Like I mentioned in another thread, I redeemed my lay-by at E.B. and put it on Unreal 2. Maybe not the greatest game ever, but playable today!

News Comments > Help Wanted
14. Maybe they'll make a DNF movie FIRST! May 17, 2003, 22:12 UnderLord

My first thoughts were:
"I can't believe they're still only doing character models for this.
I guess everybody else quit in disgust at the glacial progress!
You'd have to be keen to risk having your resume tainted by an obsolete-engined woefully-overdue game like this!"
But I see that's been thought before (and often).
My new thought is related to the build- engine release:
Maybe this will be the first game to have the source released before the game :-)
(I cashed my antique DNF pre-order back in against Unreal 2)
Hands up who remembers what version of DirectX DNF was going to need!

News Comments > NVID-EA
58. Careful what you start EA Apr 11, 2003, 18:05 UnderLord

The whole point of DirectX in the first place was to create a harware abstraction layer to avoid card dependancies, now EA and Nvidia want to fight MS and its' platform?
Maybe MS will bring out 'Urgent' security patches that just happen to bugger up EA games, that'll teach 'em :-)

News Comments > Game Development & Mods
1. XeNTaX no longer exists Jan 3, 2003, 18:01 UnderLord

The new download location:-
http://www.xs4all.nl/~michael/html/multiex-34b-screens.htm
say this:-

XeNTaX is dead
(it existed from 1989 to 2002)

This page does only exist to keep providing the MultiEx Commander package for those interested.
There will be no new versions of this package! The final package is version 3.7. Offical release January 2003
! The versions that are available below are the final packages. Do not mail Mr.Mouse for any questions about the software, read the help file if you have any. He no longer supports the MultiEx Commander software. With the 3.7 release you can easily add new game archive formats yourself! Grab the release, and use the tools to create text scripts to support your favourite game archives for extraction and importation! Also, you are always up to date because of webbased format downloads.

News Comments > ROTT Source Released
16. They're off and running! Dec 23, 2002, 22:27 UnderLord

Well, I'm not posting regarding my opinions or anybody elses, they're academic now!
The keen guys have started their own ROTT Source forum and projects -
http://forums.3drealms.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=24
I just thought you'd be pleased that there're people who will be using the code, Happy Christmas! :-)

523 Comments. 27 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo