Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul J Turner

Real Name Paul J Turner   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname UnderLord
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Born an Englishman, living in Australia, Self-employed, Life is Good!
I've been into electronics and computing since the Apple][ and the Intel 4004.
Still loving both jobs/hobbies!
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2002, 22:54
Total Comments 525 (Apprentice)
User ID 13987

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > F.E.A.R. Patch
51. The inevitable patches Oct 18, 2005, 16:19 UnderLord

What ticks me off is that no game was ever held up because the engine programmer hadn't finished, it's always the content guys.
The programmer meanwhile invariably does his bit and pisses off to play with the 'next big step forward' in his game engine.
Then the game ships and Lo, and behold, there's a problem with the engine.
When are games programmers going to make absolutely sure their code works by delivery day and when are companies going to do serious testing instead of the rubbish they do now?
It's not like there are that many variations in high-end gaming machines these days.
These programmers wouldn't last a day in the embedded development world, no patching after delivery there!
Anybody who signs up for a trip on Carmacks' rocket version 1.0 is a nut-case!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - F.E.A.R.
7. Everywhere at the same time Oct 17, 2005, 17:41 UnderLord

It's 7:40AM Tuesday the 18th in Sydney, I'd be amazed if it is actually available at 9AM when the stores open.
Also there's a lot of talk in the VUGames forums that the machine minimum spec' is even more optimistic than an MS one! (unless 10fps is good enough for you)
Wonder where they got their 'test' version?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Dog Bite Oct 16, 2005, 02:46 UnderLord

I'd (charitably) suppose that the owner saying "it's been a long time since she did that" is evidence that the owner believed the dog had stopped doing it entirely.
We always think the best of our own pets, now don't we? :-)

38. That word 'Alchemy' Oct 5, 2005, 17:00 UnderLord

Here you go Zathrus, not sure which part stumped you.
US gallons are smaller than Imperial gallons, probably because the leather buckets shrank on the way over on the Mayflower (joke).

some info on the words origins - http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=alchemy
[Middle English alkamie, from Old French alquemie, from Medieval Latin alchymia, from Arabic al-kmiy’ : al-, the + kmiy’, chemistry (from Late Greek khmeia, khumeia, perhaps from Greek Khmia, Egypt).]

and - http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=algebra
[Middle English, bone-setting, and Italian, algebra, both from Medieval Latin, from Arabic al-jabr (wa-l-muqbala), the restoration (and the compensation), addition (and subtraction) : al-, the + jabr, bone-setting, restoration (from jabara, to set (bones), force, restore. See gpr in Semitic Roots).]

So, the arabs took a greek word for chemistry and prefixed it with 'Al' (the) to indicate it was the study of it.
Likewise with the very multi-purpose Semitic word for resetting / compensation to make their word for the study of compensation in the Arithmetic sense.

The rest was just a bit of estimation as to the likelyhood that the 20 gallons / day was in the right range.

35. Alchemy in the Desert Oct 5, 2005, 16:18 UnderLord

Where you'd expect to find it, given it's an Arabic word and the root of our word 'Chemistry'.
<stir>20 Gallons, must be those little US ones ;-) </stir>
Or they got their Algebra (another Arabic word) wrong :-)
I just had a reverse osmosis water-purifier fitted. This home model can filter 300 Litres a day, presumably for around 4 to 5 people so 75 to 60 litres/person not too different form the 20 Gallons per day mark (though all of it filtered). I'm not in a desert in my bit of Australia so perhaps they're all using the same old textbook from way-back.

43. Your DNA or else Oct 3, 2005, 15:10 UnderLord

So, these senators plan to lead by example and require all politicians and police to be CODISed first, right?
Better get all the military on file too, after all, most of them have guns to start with!

56. A pirate for 2.5 hours :-( Sep 19, 2005, 21:39 UnderLord

Stap me, I told that BlueBeard to give us folk down under (no not in Davey Jones' Locker) a days notice last year.
A good keel-haulin'll learn 'im! ;-)
What goes 'pieces of nine, pieces of nine'?
A Parroty Error!
</piratemode>

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
1. HD-DVD Sep 11, 2005, 02:53 UnderLord

What, HD-DVD not coming soon? And them supposedly SO compatible with existing production plant?
Oh, but of course, to actually even come close to BluRay capacities needs a 3-layer HD-DVD disc, and there's no such DVD plant out there in fact, is there?
Toshiba et al are full of it!

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Inconceivable Sep 9, 2005, 18:35 UnderLord

"The Princess Bride"!
Oh, wait, we weren't playing that game were we?
Hey Blue, how about a few more ("...") lines.
About time the hidden text in the web page got updated too!
Heck, while I'm on the subject, Bring Back The Teeny Tiny Text!
;-)

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. EBAy in talks to buy Skype Sep 8, 2005, 19:22 UnderLord

So the analysts are sceptical / puzzled, what else is new?
EBay owns PayPal, PayPal just got into micropayments, micropayments are an ideal match for per-call VOIP charging.
What's so hard to understand about plain old synergy?
Analysts my @ss! (and they pay these guys big bucks?)

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Madonna and Iggy Pop Sep 2, 2005, 22:13 UnderLord

Who and Who?
Motorola must be appealing to the grey-haired brigade.
Desperate!

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re e911 story Sep 1, 2005, 20:18 UnderLord

The only reason they aren't sure where an internet subscriber is, is because of Dynamic IP addresses and NAT.
To throw GPS at the problem is completely the wrong solution, it should be fixed at source not patched further.
IPv6 and fixed IP addresses assigned for everyone and everything and the assignments registered will completely fix the 911 problem. Of course, folk might be slightly more vulnerable on the Internet with fixed IP addresses, on the other hand, the regularly annoying idiots could be filtered out easily (IP spoofing could be stopped dead by ISPs checking the packets coming in from a location actually have the correct address in the first place).

News Comments > Asheron's Call 2 Closing
18. Bad programming model Aug 25, 2005, 18:53 UnderLord

The thing is, there's 15,000 people who like the game, you've got to feel sorry for them.
I think what has to happen is that MMOGs go the P2P way with a distributed and self-updating map kept on each players PC. I can't believe the map data is too big for modern PC storage, and when the program keeps communications to only between the members of groups interacting, bandwidth shouldn't be a problem.
Too bad there won't be a fortune in fees in it for the company, just the game sale, but you'll never have to burn the people who are supporting you to the bitter end.

News Comments > etc.
5. Halo Movie Aug 25, 2005, 17:34 UnderLord

Bit of a shame in one way, I am hoping that someone will one day make a movie based on Larry Nivens 'Ringworld', this kind of clutters the market for that.
Not fair considering how long ago Ringworld was written.
Still, I can see that tools are getting so good that soon fan-movies will rival the studios in production qualities.
Better yet, our virtual actor heroes will never grow old! ;-)

News Comments > Dungeon Siege II Demo
23. Dead Giveaway Aug 3, 2005, 15:23 UnderLord

Any supposedly modern game engine that needs CGI cutscenes is just plain sub-standard. The cutscenes should be rendered by the engine. This squality of work from the people who own the API that is used for 4D rendering is unforgiveable.
Destined for a bargain-bin future, $10 (Australian) might be too optimistic!

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Only half? Jul 27, 2005, 02:56 UnderLord

"Microsoft wants half of the console market"
Which half?
The Biggest Half!
;-)

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Winamp Update Jul 20, 2005, 01:22 UnderLord

I went to Winamp.com (not trusting a file source I'm not familiar with) and THEY only offer 5.093 via their links!
I fished about blindly and found that they DO in fact have 5.094 files on their servers.
What are they playing at? just lazy? Still beta?
A crap-less (no free 'music') full version link -
http://download.nullsoft.com/winamp/client/winamp5094_full.exe

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
1. What's the deal? Jun 27, 2005, 02:25 UnderLord

I clicked on the "Format Wars" link and it opened up, with a link back to Blues News.
Then I realised it was LaTimes, usually a subscription site.
Is this a one-off event or have they relented, or have you got a deal working for us Blue?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Quicktime 7 preview Jun 8, 2005, 06:21 UnderLord

I suppose it would be really churlish of me to wonder aloud if we can expect x86 ports of Quicktime to come out closer to the PowerPC ones in the future?
Yes, I'm sure it would be ;-)

3. Not so sure it was DNS May 16, 2005, 01:19 UnderLord

I tried to ping the site when it was unavailable, 216.105.167.65 no response.
Now ping works O.K., same resolved IP address.
(You're a 250mS round trip from Australia if you're interested!)

525 Comments. 27 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo