Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul J Turner

Real Name Paul J Turner   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname UnderLord
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Born an Englishman, living in Australia, Self-employed, Life is Good!
I've been into electronics and computing since the Apple][ and the Intel 4004.
Still loving both jobs/hobbies!
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2002, 22:54
Total Comments 523 (Apprentice)
User ID 13987

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
3. unblanked Mar 5, 2006, 00:38 UnderLord

The site came good a short while ago.
This instance actually wasn't too bad, it was a copy of the whole original article.
It's the short pieces with the dreaded 'Full story here' links I can't see the point of directing readers to in the first place, why make hundreds click on through instead of one? (unless there's an advertising income attached, of course Blues has to make an income to survive).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
1. Very Blank blank cheque Mar 4, 2006, 20:21 UnderLord

Yet another Yahoo link that doesn't work for me (might be filtering, non-US restricted, who knows).
The thing is, can't you just stop posting links to these poser sites that carry a small part of a news story just to drum up forum traffic?
They're just irritating to have to wait for their content rubbish to load so you can click in the real story link to actually see what the whole story really says.
In this case:-
http://www.investors.com/editorial/IBDArticles.asp?artsec=17&artnum=1&issue=20060303
I found it as the very first hit by Googling 'Amelio Wozniak' (no quotes), faster than a Yahoo detour any day!

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Sony Flat TVs Feb 16, 2006, 01:18 UnderLord

I should have been more clear (like the article!) it was after 1200 hour of Run-Time, not just a clock feature.
So of course the failures would be scattered in time a bit depending on how much you use the set.
I do embedded development for a living, most of my devices have RTCs, some have use counters to advise of maintenance periods. Do you think the screen would do a pop-up saying it's time for a visit by the Sony Techo'?

1. Sony Flat TVs Feb 15, 2006, 14:19 UnderLord

You would have to wonder why there is ANY long duration counter in the TV software to begin with.
My thought is that most likely some programmer got the duration for the Planned Obsolescence 'failure' wrong.
What a disaster if ALL the sets 'fail' during the warranty period!
This deserves serious investigation by some consumer advocate body.

News Comments > Gold - Dungeons & Dragons Online
19. www my @$$ Feb 13, 2006, 17:35 UnderLord

Yet another pre-order touted to the world but actually for North American players only on closer inspection.
What's the excuse, can't afford a PayPal account?

News Comments > Sunday Q&As
23. Red Cross Alternative Feb 13, 2006, 14:29 UnderLord

As I alluded to, a white cross on a red background is a Swiss flag.
It seems this has all been done before in the real world, in Australia our med kits have a green cross, presumably this has been found acceptable to everybody
Might as well stick to a standard, it might even help someone recognise a medkit in the real world when they need one!

11. Red Cross Feb 12, 2006, 20:53 UnderLord

(andsweed? wish I could edit MY OWN posts, hint)
I thought maybe the logo was derived from the cross of St George, so I googled: "history of the red cross".
The first hit is a bit of an eye opener about the U.S version!
http://www.counterpunch.org/allen10202005.html
The founder of the original Red Cross would doubtless be rather displeased by the modern time wasters.
http://www.icrc.org/Web/Eng/siteeng0.nsf/iwpList288/E4986214B3F2CF1DC1256B66005B0ED2
They are also known elsewhere as Red Crescent and Red Lion (Sun was dropped in 1980) Good luck changing the name of hundreds of pubs in England!
The flag question is answered here:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Cross_%28symbol%29
It's a reverse Swedish flag, to symbolise neutrality, what a good concept, they should try it!

10. Red Cross Feb 12, 2006, 20:52 UnderLord

I thought maybe the logo was derived from the cross of St George, so I googled: "history of the red cross".
The first hit is a bit of an eye opener about the U.S version!
http://www.counterpunch.org/allen10202005.html
The founder of the original Red Cross would doubtless be rather displeased by the modern time wasters.
http://www.icrc.org/Web/Eng/siteeng0.nsf/iwpList288/E4986214B3F2CF1DC1256B66005B0ED2
They are also known elsewhere as Red Crescent and Red Lion (Sun was dropped in 1980) Good luck changing the name of hundreds of pubs in England!
The flag question is andsweed here:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Cross_%28symbol%29
It's a reverse Swedish flag, to symbolise neutrality, what a good concept, they should try it!

3. Very Still Feb 8, 2006, 17:52 UnderLord

Accountants have Hearts?

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
11. NemeSis? Jan 8, 2006, 18:41 UnderLord

Thinking about it (must stop that), it is likely a play on 'Fata1ity', namely, 'Neme5is'.(Sure did play on him!)

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
4. Fata!ity lost to... Jan 7, 2006, 17:50 UnderLord

Is it just my aging eyes, or does that screenshot seem to say "NemeSis" rather than "Nordic"?
Could be an alias for all I know, but...

News Comments > Twilight for Twilight War
10. 'the coming days' Jan 4, 2006, 16:05 UnderLord

'the coming days'seem to have already come and gone.
www.twilightwar.com is down already.
Possibly it collapsed under the strain of people only just finding out about it and wanting to see what it was to have been like (guilty!).

News Comments > Ratbag Closed
27. OTOH Dec 15, 2005, 22:24 UnderLord

Don't forget that we don't have any details of the severance terms. The RatBag staff MIGHT be very happy with them (yeah, really probable, eh?).
There's bugger-all chance of finding out from the "News" section of their web-site though, it wasn't even considered newsworthy when they got bought out!
If they are so stuck in their own little world they only pause to praise their products, what fan support do they really deserve?

News Comments > Ratbag Closed
19. Aussie Job Market Dec 15, 2005, 15:15 UnderLord

This is based on the assumption that Games development actually is a sub-set of the I.T. industry, I'v only worked in the business and R&D sides of I.T. in Australia, so ...
Right now it's quite hard to find good I.T. jobs in Australia. The beginning of the year is the hardest time to get new IT work in Australia.
I'd prefer to be looking for a new job about August, if I had to, so sooner would have been better.
But this is probably as soon as Midway could do it!

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Supreme Court rejects case against N Dec 14, 2005, 03:45 UnderLord

Sorry about the spurious post, why did the button have focus when I was in the subject textbox?
Anyway, I was about to say...

Isn't an MP3 just an "electronic replica" of a CD soudtrack? So, we don't owe anybody anything if we reproduce something just in a different format?
I can see this lighting a few fires!

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Supreme Court rejects case against N Dec 14, 2005, 03:43 UnderLord

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: How Safe Are Nanoparticles Dec 12, 2005, 15:59 UnderLord

But they ARE doing testing, some consumers just don't know when they're Beta-Testers eh?

(Where's Creston?)

News Comments > F.E.A.R. Patch
52. Re: The inevitable patches Oct 18, 2005, 16:34 UnderLord

I'm not specifically picking on John Carmack, by the way.
I seriously rate and respect his coding skills and in-depth understanding and quest for knowledge in many technical fields.
BUT, he is (imho) the best games programmer ot there, and even his company follows up every game release with a series of patches and bug-fixes.
I wonder, if we had the legal right to return faulty software for a replacement at the manufacturers expense, instead of it being our problem to apply patches, do you think they'd still ship such buggy code, or is the art of software quality control really so woeful that the companies would quit?

News Comments > F.E.A.R. Patch
51. The inevitable patches Oct 18, 2005, 16:19 UnderLord

What ticks me off is that no game was ever held up because the engine programmer hadn't finished, it's always the content guys.
The programmer meanwhile invariably does his bit and pisses off to play with the 'next big step forward' in his game engine.
Then the game ships and Lo, and behold, there's a problem with the engine.
When are games programmers going to make absolutely sure their code works by delivery day and when are companies going to do serious testing instead of the rubbish they do now?
It's not like there are that many variations in high-end gaming machines these days.
These programmers wouldn't last a day in the embedded development world, no patching after delivery there!
Anybody who signs up for a trip on Carmacks' rocket version 1.0 is a nut-case!

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - F.E.A.R.
7. Everywhere at the same time Oct 17, 2005, 17:41 UnderLord

It's 7:40AM Tuesday the 18th in Sydney, I'd be amazed if it is actually available at 9AM when the stores open.
Also there's a lot of talk in the VUGames forums that the machine minimum spec' is even more optimistic than an MS one! (unless 10fps is good enough for you)
Wonder where they got their 'test' version?

523 Comments. 27 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo