Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul J Turner

Real Name Paul J Turner   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname UnderLord
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Born an Englishman, living in Australia, Self-employed, Life is Good!
I've been into electronics and computing since the Apple][ and the Intel 4004.
Still loving both jobs/hobbies!
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2002, 22:54
Total Comments 525 (Apprentice)
User ID 13987

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
1. market analysts SHOULD be transformed Jul 23, 2006, 18:02 UnderLord

I think that colon after market matterd!

But seriously, it isn't an MP3 competition, it's a DRM competition but the toady analysts aren't game to say so!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Afternoon Tech Bits
1. Growing Demand for Data Storage Jul 5, 2006, 16:04 UnderLord

Continuing this line of thought-
http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=68757
I do use hard-drives for backups, I have a backup machine on my home network with 2 separate data drives and a DVD burner.
The drives are good for keeping copies of the current state of files, but I like to keep archival copies of things in an earlier state for stuff like software projects I develop and maintain.
That is where I see a use for a large-cpacity write-once format.
I never did like re-writable CD/DVD, I couldn't see the advantage over another disk-drive.
Also, I had a lot of crashes with the ones I had to use at work, which made me wary of them.

News Comments > Tuesday Tech Bits
1. BenQ Blu-ray writer Jul 4, 2006, 16:12 UnderLord

Excellent news. Personally I don't give a stuff about high-definition TV, get your eyes tested and glasses if necessary, a good large-screen TV, Component video equipment and it will be as as good as you you need, unless your going to look up close at just bits of the screen at a time to whine about the resolution.
No, what I want is a backup system for the modern day disk-drive, 50 GB a disk is practical enough for people to actually DO backups and is at last within reach.
The fact that I have great long-term backup results with BenQ media(this is not a paid plug ;-) doesn't hurt either.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
7. Possible PS3 shortages... Jun 17, 2006, 22:26 UnderLord

Good Lord! if Ken really said "it is no longer acceptable for us to limit our initial launch to a certain area." maybe we'll even see Blu-Ray drives without that bastard region system!
Yeah, Right.

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Art Gallery Jun 15, 2006, 22:42 UnderLord

The main thing on display, what a bunch of pretentious prats they are!

News Comments > Parabellum Revealed
6. Further Warning Jun 5, 2006, 16:59 UnderLord

Of course you can see what's coming next.
There will be games where you need to go to the shops to buy things you need in-game to proceed.
There will be choices between the different brands of rusty-lock oil, bullets, condoms, whatever is required.
Information on which brand you choose will be sent back to the Ad' companies to see if their in-game Ad's influenced you, so they can bill their clients appropriately.
I mention this so that *when* (not if) it happens I can claim royalties on the IP.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. AMD/ATI Merger Jun 1, 2006, 03:30 UnderLord

The best bit is (imo) Dell would have to seriously re-think AMD on the desktop!
Or do they want to be even bigger one-trick ponies?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Symantec seeking Beta testers May 19, 2006, 23:59 UnderLord

I thought that was their name for customers?
I see more networking and other problems caused by their products than any other cause in my PC support business.
I seriously wonder if they can possibly be using them on their own business' PCs, if they think they're so good.

4. Joys of UNIX in general May 19, 2006, 03:54 UnderLord

When I was a young fellow back around 25 years ago(!) I worked for a PC company in Nottingham England, mostly dealing in Apple ][ kit.
In an effort to move up-market the company moved into UNIX boxes which were quite tightly policed by AT&T in those days.
You had to say what room the machine would be in, who would have access etc etc.
We couldn't help but notice the big grin on the AT&T guys faces when they were checking us out and we asked them what was so funny.
They told us that they couldn't get over how eager people were to press money in their hands for something AT&T had already written off as 'Software scrap' from their research dept!
Absolutlely true and I have witnesses.

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Games are Dead May 14, 2006, 18:07 UnderLord

Written by a type 2 journalist Ant!

News Comments > etc.
1. Video Game employment figures May 13, 2006, 20:34 UnderLord

144,000 - A gross of Kilo-developers?
Developing Gross Killer games?
<groan> I'll be going now ;-)

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Bill would prohibit mandatory microchip Apr 27, 2006, 18:38 UnderLord

My first reaction on reading that was "No he wouldn't"
;-)

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. DEA agent Apr 15, 2006, 19:46 UnderLord

So, this complete moron goes into a class of children with a gun that is A. Loaded, B. has a round chambered, C. the safety is off, D. his finger inside the trigger guard and he actually still HAS a career?
I'd have put the rest of the clip in the bastards head if it happened in a class with my kids!

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Intriguing MS Patch Apr 12, 2006, 05:12 UnderLord

I took the hint from the new patches link and went into update.
One 'Optional' patch fixes issues that arise when IE7 is installed.
So, it looks like XP users WILL be getting IE7 before long, now we only have to wish hard for DirectX10.
- It Says -
(KB904942)
Typical download size: 151 KB , less than 1 minute
Install this update to resolve HTTP authentication issues in Windows-based systems that do not appear until Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 is installed. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Details...

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
7. Xbox in Japan Apr 8, 2006, 22:34 UnderLord

Of course, everybody else in the entire world, except the Americans, recognises that America is just getting a serving of the "Not Invented Here" attitude that they have dished out to the rest of us for so long.

News Comments > The Early Show
4. downloads Mar 27, 2006, 14:56 UnderLord

I've noticed GamersHell have been conspicuously absent from these lists of sites offering downloads lately, though they have the files (I'm downloading Crysis right now from iinet via them).
Are they on the bad boys list or something?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Revolutionary Jet engin test Mar 26, 2006, 02:46 UnderLord

I bet Blue covered that because the launch rocket was a Terrier-Orion ;-)

A one million UK Pounds engine flying for 6 seconds at Mach 8 then into the ground.
It's an uphill job explaining to fellow Aussies why that's a great achievement!

3. Dlayed launch of Consumer Windows Vista Mar 22, 2006, 17:23 UnderLord

More likely the PC sales companies want longer to offload all the PCs that won't be able to run Windows Vista on unsuspecting punters!

News Comments > 3D Realms Game Plans
39. Acquiring DNF Mar 21, 2006, 22:57 UnderLord

Rseman is on the right track relating laughs and buying DNF. I have a few vouchers to redeem for 3DRealms products, courtesy of winning a few Camera Caption competitions.
I reckon there's plenty of time for others to rack up enough coupons to 'buy' DNF when it comes out.
So long as inflation holds off ;-)
(Just kidding, I like the vouchers too much. I did redeem my E.B. pre-order for DNF after about a year though, so I could buy Unreal II when it came out :-)

525 Comments. 27 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo