Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul J Turner

Real Name Paul J Turner   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname UnderLord
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Born an Englishman, living in Australia, Self-employed, Life is Good!
I've been into electronics and computing since the Apple][ and the Intel 4004.
Still loving both jobs/hobbies!
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2002, 22:54
Total Comments 523 (Apprentice)
User ID 13987

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Tricky new malware... Oct 30, 2006, 22:50 UnderLord

Is that an African or a European Swallow?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. SGI sues ATI Oct 27, 2006, 00:52 UnderLord

Rather sad to see them go down the SCO path of clinging to their remaining pathetic scrap of life at any cost.
Do yourselves a favour SGI, accept that you're history and go out with dignity and self-respect.
Floating point rasterisation and frame-buffering, how many years was Carmack preaching that for before it happened?
(BTW, I wonder how the his feelings are today on the virtualisation issue, we haven't heard much on graphics tech' from him lately)

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
2. Oh, OK then Oct 23, 2006, 00:32 UnderLord

Maybe a few exceptions (I thought I had better be the first to look it up) -
http://www.famousbelgians.net/

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
1. The Belgians Oct 23, 2006, 00:25 UnderLord

As Hercules Poirot will tell you:
The only good Belgian is a fictional Belgian!

News Comments > Gold - F.E.A.R.: Extraction Point
21. I'll say what everybodys thinking Oct 21, 2006, 19:50 UnderLord

Poodles don't eat cotton candy :-)
I hope they construct games better than sentences.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. McAfee & Symantec Oct 4, 2006, 05:22 UnderLord

As far as I'm concerned, security SHOULD be built in to the OS from the ground up, not an optional add-on.
I'm all for MS on this one.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Armstrongs' quote Oct 1, 2006, 17:57 UnderLord

Given the low signal power analogue radio of the day requiring huge dishes to receive the tiny signal, anyone who thinks what we heard here on Earth was always what was said would have to be a complete moron. If Armstrong says he said 'A man' then I have no doubt at all that he did. Those guys weren't exactly idiots and incapable of forming a gramatically correct sentence.

News Comments > Into the Black
5. All hail the analogue revolution Sep 21, 2006, 02:46 UnderLord

As I've noted previously, nobody ever got a rootkit from Vinyl. They might be inaudibly (hopefully) watermarked but they won't be DRM'ed to uselessness either. And they wonder why they're becoming popular again.

35. Never mind the big picture... Sep 6, 2006, 00:46 UnderLord

nit-pick the details ;-)
I just thought I'd point out that Enahs' application of DeMorgans law (usually reduced to "Break the line, Change the sign") was flawed.
He inverted each side of the logic statement and changed And to Or and vice-versa, but he did not invert the whole statement, so in fact the 'equivalents' are precise opposites.

34. Never mind the big picture... Sep 6, 2006, 00:46 UnderLord

nit-pick the details ;-)
I just thought I'd point out that Enahs' application of DeMorgans law (usually reduced to "Break the line, Change the sign") was flawed.
He inverted each side of the logic statement and changed And to Or and vice-versa, but he did not invert the whole statement, so in fact the 'equivalents' are precise opposites.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Phone Line Sep 3, 2006, 19:04 UnderLord

Of course, random electrical noise on a phone line could never dial the same number twice in a lifetime. This implies the presence of an alarm or some other device intended to dial 911 that is being triggered by the noise. If the police are getting caller-ID that identifies your number, then either the telephone exchange has a problem, or it's your alarm. On the other hand if the calling device announces the number, it could simply be a mis-recording on an alarm at some other location.
Do you know for sure how the police are identifying it as your line? (I suppose it could be a prank with someone who has figured out how to spoof caller-id, but they'd have to know when it was inclement around your area)

38. The only good thing about Vinyl Aug 19, 2006, 18:54 UnderLord

Nobody ever got a rootkit through Vinyl ;-)
One of the reasons cheap Vinyl records have crackle and pops is that they use recycled Vinyl that didn't sell, and getting the paper labels off is too hard, so they don't!
There are tons of freeware packages that will de-click and de-pop your Vinyl recordings played into your soundcard Line-in socket, but you'll need an RIAA pre-amp between the deck and the soundcard. The reesult can be saved as wav or MP3 files.
Incidentally, the very ecistence, let alone popularity of MP3 format, which discards huge amounts of data, supposedly impercptibly, proves conclusively that sound quality is a very distant second to availability and convenience for most people.
Therefore I declare the CD the winner over Vinyl on account of convenience and ubiquity. :-)

37. The only good thing about Vinyl Aug 19, 2006, 18:54 UnderLord

Nobody ever got a rootkit through Vinyl ;-)
One of the reasons cheap Vinyl records have crackle and pops is that they use recycled Vinyl that didn't sell, and getting the paper labels off is too hard, so they don't!
There are tons of freeware packages that will de-click and de-pop your Vinyl recordings played into your soundcard Line-in socket, but you'll need an RIAA pre-amp between the deck and the soundcard. The reesult can be saved as wav or MP3 files.
Incidentally, the very ecistence, let alone popularity of MP3 format, which discards huge amounts of data, supposedly impercptibly, proves conclusively that sound quality is a very diatant second to availability and convenience for most people.
Therefore I declare the CD the winner over Vinyl on account of convenience and ubiquity. :-)

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Intel 3D extreme BS Aug 17, 2006, 03:33 UnderLord

The CPU needs all the RAM bandwidth it can get.
The GPU needs all the RAM bandwidth it can get.
Integrated graphics is all about being a tight-arse and trying to use system RAM for Graphics RAM.
NO WAY this will EVER turn out good for either the CPU or GPU, no matter how clever you might think the memory controller designers are.
If the designers were that good, there wouldn't BE memory bottlenecks requiring 3 levels of cache in the CPU, would there?

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. PS3 Production Aug 4, 2006, 18:04 UnderLord

The interesting thing to me is that there are 10,000 PS3 dev' kits out there and the developers are now at the stage of running their games off of disks.
I assume that means there are a LOT of Blu-Ray DVD burners already available so they can't be that far away from retail for PC backup purposes.

News Comments > AMD to Buy ATI
51. So obvious it shouldn't need explaining Jul 24, 2006, 17:34 UnderLord

Unified memory is an obvious cost exercise because:-
Why do processors have several levels of on-chip cache?
Because main memory feches are too damned slow.
Let's share main memory with another processor for graphics that will help performance no end!
Claims of 'interleaving' fetches are BS too, before you bring up that old furfy, they still cost performance in line fetch latency.

47. What else it means Jul 24, 2006, 17:16 UnderLord

I forgot something else I meant to say,
We should not forget that ATI is Canadian, I would think those 2500 people are worrying about their jobs which is s sight more of a worry than how well your next gaming PC will perform.
The major question would be, will AMD move the work to the US or to India or China?
(Disclosure: Speaking as an Australian Banking Platform and Applications programmer whose job was sent to India by EDS)

46. Re: What this means Jul 24, 2006, 17:07 UnderLord

All 'Unified memory' solutions sharing main memory with the GPu are a bloody disaster for both the CPU and GPU performance, and that includes consoles. It's just a penny pinching solution, nothing more.
Having said that, now that MS, Sony and Nintendo could get both GPU and CPU in a guaranteed interoperable form from the one company, what do you think of Nvidia and Intels chances in the next round of console development?
Also, ATI make a lot more chips than has been mentioned in these comments, look here - http://www.ati.com/companyinfo/about/index.html

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
1. market analysts SHOULD be transformed Jul 23, 2006, 18:02 UnderLord

I think that colon after market matterd!

But seriously, it isn't an MP3 competition, it's a DRM competition but the toady analysts aren't game to say so!

News Comments > Afternoon Tech Bits
1. Growing Demand for Data Storage Jul 5, 2006, 16:04 UnderLord

Continuing this line of thought-
http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=68757
I do use hard-drives for backups, I have a backup machine on my home network with 2 separate data drives and a DVD burner.
The drives are good for keeping copies of the current state of files, but I like to keep archival copies of things in an earlier state for stuff like software projects I develop and maintain.
That is where I see a use for a large-cpacity write-once format.
I never did like re-writable CD/DVD, I couldn't see the advantage over another disk-drive.
Also, I had a lot of crashes with the ones I had to use at work, which made me wary of them.

523 Comments. 27 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo