Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul J Turner

Real Name Paul J Turner   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname UnderLord
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Born an Englishman, living in Australia, Self-employed, Life is Good!
I've been into electronics and computing since the Apple][ and the Intel 4004.
Still loving both jobs/hobbies!
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2002, 22:54
Total Comments 525 (Apprentice)
User ID 13987

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Gamers Make Better Surgeons
15. Apart from the actual article Feb 20, 2007, 18:41 UnderLord

Reuters could have done themselves a favour and not indulged the flack who felt compelled to add the last 3-paragraph rant to the article.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bit
11. Re: another digg? Feb 19, 2007, 16:08 UnderLord

I thought it was just me he was ticking off.
Also all the other useless intermediate sites like Boing-Boing where I have to see some retards take on the article first.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Nvidia Demo Feb 17, 2007, 00:34 UnderLord

This is a good thing.
If the demo runs without crashing they can blame the game writers with some plausibility and we might get patches.
If it crashes, we can get on Nvidias case big-time to fix the drivers.
We win either way.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Circuit City to close 69 stores Feb 9, 2007, 02:16 UnderLord

They had stores for that?
Now you tell me!

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
4. JT Feb 4, 2007, 21:28 UnderLord

Oh dear, Oh No! Jack is the best thing to happen for ages.
Hogs all the media attention leaving no room for other gaming naysayers, yet is too barmy for anyone to take seriously. Meanwhile racking up a nice set of failed cases for future reference by the judiciary. The best friend, erm... enemy, FPS gaming could have!

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re PS3 Jan 16, 2007, 02:21 UnderLord

I agree with PA, and then some.
Valve haven't got a Carmack or Sweeney have they, I know which companies I expect to make products for the PS3.
It would just be so much more convenient than struggling for Valve if they could convince others not to program for the PS3.
I notice in recent interviews that although John Carmack laments the PS3 not having symmetric processing, he seems less anti PS3. I hope that's a good sign.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Gaming keyboard Jan 9, 2007, 01:26 UnderLord

"Reclusa"? Sounds like a mixture of "Recreation" and "Loser".
What are they thinking!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Calendar Fix Jan 7, 2007, 17:33 UnderLord

What buy one calendar, never have to buy another?
This has all the 'Hallmark's of a bad idea. ;-)
It's not going to happen.
Anyway, I want 13 months of 4 weeks each, even saner.
I suppose 10 hour days of 100 minute hours and 100 second minutes won't happen either, pity :-(
(Though the seconds work out a similar size, 16% bigger)

4. Fried Chips Jan 5, 2007, 17:07 UnderLord

4096 extra votes is a single bit error.
So, eVoting machines store the information on memory without even parity checking, let alone Error Correction Code?
That's unforgiveable, as is the so called certification process passing such machines.
I don't suppose USB memory sticks have parity etc' either.
Bit of a worry then, if you wear your code backup round your neck like me and fly frequently!
(Next best thing to an off-site backup, if something can kill my memory stick, chances are I won't care about it)

This comment was edited on Jan 5, 17:07.

3. 1TB, I'd like to see that Jan 5, 2007, 16:48 UnderLord

Unless they reach 1.1 'Terabytes' I will consider them failed.
2^40 = 1099511627776 bytes, this all dates back to the shysters who gained marketing edge selling 65KB memory computers.
We're talking digital (binary) information, binary versions of K, M, G and T should be the expected norm, not decimal versions.
also -
I think HD in general is only about content protection, the studios don't really give a toss about picture quality.
My only use for a next-gen reader/burner is for backup capacity, not HD movies, so Blu-Ray is the obvious choice.

This comment was edited on Jan 5, 17:09.

News Comments > Subversion Revealed
4. Re: Using Subversion to track Subversion Jan 5, 2007, 01:30 UnderLord

At the risk of being a "Me Too!", I'm betting that's what 70% of programmers will think of.
I wonder how long until a developer books files in/out of the wrong subversion tree? ;-)

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
4. Games Responsible Jan 5, 2007, 00:57 UnderLord

Guess who's featuring in this 'documentary'.
The claim is obviously false, otherwise some 'Hitman' fan would have taken out JT long ago.

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Will It Blend Jan 5, 2007, 00:40 UnderLord

Nope, it's not there for me, "removed at the request of copyright owner TMFT Enterprises, LLC"
Teenage Mutant F...
Surely not?

Fixed the quote, for accuracy

This comment was edited on Jan 5, 00:44.

News Comments > Human Head Head Heads Out
12. not yet Jan 4, 2007, 15:54 UnderLord

"but no developer has been connected with that yet", maybe Timothy is having trouble thinking up a company name? ;-)

13. Re Solar Cycles Dec 24, 2006, 15:54 UnderLord

Read the article, the supposed influence is NOT related to the earths gravitation, but to it's Geomagnetic activity.
The book I got my primer on orbital mechanics from, and which covered the Moon anomaly, is by Isaac Asimov. The same guy who wrote the book I learnt to use a slide-rule from , way back. You reckon he talked utter BS?
Why would a small terrestrial system 8 light-minutes from the Sun take around 7 years to have an influence, surely Jupiter or Saturns fields would have more influence?
I still think both systems are responding to a larger force and the smaller earth is reacting faster.

10. Re: Solar Cycles Dec 23, 2006, 16:20 UnderLord

(NOT 'Re: Two weeks' note)
Gravitation, the weakest of all known forces lets Earth influence the Sun? ROFLMAO.
Earth doesn't even have enough gravity to hold the moon in orbit, it isn't actually a true moon, it's sharing the same orbit around the Sun and we revolve around a common center.
Study the maths of orbital mechanics if you doubt this.

3. Solar Cycles Dec 22, 2006, 23:43 UnderLord

Oh, and how credible is it that what goes on in a tiny blob of orbiting relatively non-energetic matter influences a thing the size of the Sun 93,000,000 miles away?
If there really is a correlation, maybe they should be looking for the origin of what affects both systems, the smaller Earth much sooner than the Sun.

2. Solar Cycles Dec 22, 2006, 23:37 UnderLord

Human are great at picking out patterns, even when there's nothing there, hence spotting things in the shape of clouds.
That solar activity data looks like a big-peak small-peak cycle to me. Sure 18 is anomalous and 22 isn't much smaller than 21, but on my observation this solar cycle could be real small.
They wouldn't be trying to look smart on the basis of extrapolating the 2 recent energetic flares (cme's)would they? nah...

This comment was edited on Dec 22, 23:44.

14. Batman Mural Dec 14, 2006, 16:50 UnderLord

Guess it's different if you're a government department, of a big country.
Anyone else would have DC Comics and Bacardi fighting over who would sue them first!

22. Humpback Whales Nov 27, 2006, 14:44 UnderLord

Well, well, well, fancy that!
All that 'scientific research' the Japanese do on whales and it is someone in New york who actually discovers something.
How unexpected...

525 Comments. 27 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo