Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul J Turner

Real Name Paul J Turner   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname UnderLord
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Born an Englishman, living in Australia, Self-employed, Life is Good!
I've been into electronics and computing since the Apple][ and the Intel 4004.
Still loving both jobs/hobbies!
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2002, 22:54
Total Comments 525 (Apprentice)
User ID 13987

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. eBay sale hijacked Dec 3, 2007, 23:38 UnderLord

eBay not cooperating with the RCMP? Show 'em the taser!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Digital Magnetic Map Nov 3, 2007, 17:32 UnderLord

Oh goodie, a map of Magnetic Anomalies, have we found the monolith yet? ;-)

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. AMDs Q4 Graphics Nov 2, 2007, 21:34 UnderLord

Not ATI's then? That didn't take long, did it?

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Seagate drive capacity Nov 1, 2007, 22:09 UnderLord

I wonder why it's US only, is it O.K. to lie to your allies populace?

1. Dell Profits Oct 31, 2007, 14:00 UnderLord

Profits were down $92M because an investigation reveled that employees misled Auditors for more than 4 years.
The one year investigation cost $205M.
My advice to Dell, let the employees screw the figures by less than $23M per year to meet unreasonable goals and stop doing those bloody investigations!

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Skype Phone? Not Really Oct 22, 2007, 17:36 UnderLord

A bit of a bodgy job with a small subset of the Skype client feature set.
http://skypejournal.com/blog/2007/10/skypelabeled_iskoot_voipless_m.html

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Today is... Oct 19, 2007, 21:10 UnderLord

Yep, it's Saturday here too, has been for 11 hours ;-)
I know what you mean though, one completely non-event day and it all feels wrong.
Still, the Weekend usually fixes it for me as those days are significantly different to the regular grind.
I'm not sure how much variation you see in your weekend compared to your weekdays though, Blue.

News Comments > Hellgate Adware, Hell of a EULA
62. Tried it ! Oct 19, 2007, 05:22 UnderLord

I fired it up, but had to go online to get some dumb MS service pack for game memory management.
I played a lot of locations and found it surprisingly easy, I suppose they did that on purpose to encourage potential purchasers.
Brief summary: It's Diablo II in 3D with a lot of above-ground bits.
Really!, that's a perfect description.

53. Re: Just a thought Oct 19, 2007, 02:20 UnderLord

I'm going off-line for a while ;-)
Don't look a gift demo in the EULA!

46. Just a thought Oct 19, 2007, 01:27 UnderLord

The demo is single-player as they originally stated it would be, right?
Do you have to have your network cable plugged in to play it?
If not, run unplugged, play it out (how long can a demo take?), then delete it all.
The actual game might pose a bit more of a problem, but this is specifically about the demo EULA.
I presume the full game EULA will be the same deal though.

33. Wait a bit Oct 19, 2007, 00:17 UnderLord

Unless valves servers are being a forwarding agent for the research info', that info' probably goes directly to the marketing companies.
IF that is so, it won't be long until someone collects THEIR IP addresses so we can all block them with additional 'hosts' file entries.
(You do know that's the best use of the hosts file, right?)
Or someone will disassemble the code and produce a 'no ad's' patch for it, whatever the EULA sys about that kind of thing.

11. Right Brain vs Left Brain Oct 18, 2007, 16:48 UnderLord

I got this information from the Uni' of NSW when I passed this link around last week -

Initial direction is a function of where you look in the figure plus some random variables (which probably do NOT include brain dominance since the L side of fixation goes to the right brain and the R of fixation goes to the Left brain.
If you stare at the center of the figure it goes 50/50. Fix at either side and you can bias it but it doesn't affect the frequency of the two directions).

If the movement was continuous it would reverse regularly.
This usually occurs at pauses and changes in fixation. This figure pauses regularly and this can trigger reversal.
With very steady fixation, another phenomenon occurs - you can actually see other patterns of movement such as expansion contraction without depth and even multiple figures with delay lags.

I have a paper on it (one of my first:- Vaegan. Two parameters measure perceptual transformations during monotonous stimulation. Quart. J. Exptl. Psychol., 1976;28:583-589).

Both effects are caused by adaptation/inhibition.
Reversals / changes of state are caused when movement of fixation releases inhibition and evokes the opposite.
Multiple state are caused by increasing inhibition / adaptation of all previous states.
The two parameters are independent and a function of the individual.

Yrs truly
Vaegan,

- So there you have it!

7. shooting their own foot Oct 17, 2007, 18:44 UnderLord

Stating that they don't need large bandwidth is inescapably the same as saying they aren't processing massive amounts of data, no wonder they make such little difference to a game!
They should team up with these guys - http://www.aiseek.com/Demos.html and put both chips on a PCI-E card, that might stand more of a chance.
Definitely more of a chance than a PhysX card today and an AISeek card tomorrow, anyway!

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Working out the average payment Oct 10, 2007, 00:46 UnderLord

Check for purchasers paying nothing using IP spoofing etc'.
I wouldn't put it past Big Music to download thousands of times for nix, just to make the sales model look a failure.
It wouldn't be the first dirty trick from them.

10. HD-DVD Oct 9, 2007, 06:37 UnderLord

MS is wasting it's time, the tech doesn't drive acceptance, the Content does.
Haven't they even learnt the Betamax lesson yet, buy a major studio you cashed up tightwads!

News Comments > Talk Like A Pirate Day Festivities
3. Right decent of ye, matey Sep 17, 2007, 22:04 UnderLord

...To give an advanced heads up for those of us only 12 hours away (as I type) from the event.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. SignalMap Sep 6, 2007, 19:26 UnderLord

I would think there will be more positive entries to this database by carriers than politicians staff have entered in wikipedia!

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Texas Startup Sep 4, 2007, 23:20 UnderLord

Can you imagine the colossal power demand at the end of each day when the rapid-recharge cars are put on charge?
There would have to be time-staggered recharges to spread the load, and probably an overhaul of the US power systems to 240V to handle the home-level grid current (not a bad thing maybe? ;-)
Nothings is for free, that is 746 watts per horse power per hour travel multiplied by all the inefficiencies.
If you don't burn it in your engine, the equivalent (at least) must be burnt in the power stations, dump petroleum and buy electricity shares NOW!

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. What price cut? Sep 4, 2007, 19:25 UnderLord

Down by 20 Euros to 180 Euros, while it sells in the US for $180.
Last time I looked (http://www.x-rates.com/) it was US$1.36 to a Euro, when will it be around 132.3 Euros?

32. Console prices Sep 4, 2007, 18:45 UnderLord

Since I alluded to the rising cost of consoles, I might as well mention my other thought on the matter.
Historically, the Console sales plan has been the razor-blade model, make a loss on the console and make a heap of profit on the games.
This has clearly bitten both Microsoft and Sony hard this time around, what with high CPU spec's, HD drives to bolster their claim as a media device, design-fault warranty repairs and component shortages.
I strongly suspect they won't be taking such a risk in the future and that the cost will much more closely reflect the price of production of the consoles.
This being so, the shine will definitely come off for software sales that now depend solely for their attractiveness on the low cost of the platform, the ease of development for consoles just wasn't there this time.
In short, don't write the PC off just yet, I think the future belongs to us PC users!

Edited for Typo's again, rushing because I have to contend with APEC security in Sydney to attend the inter-state Rock-Eisteddfod later today, bloody politicians built Canberra as a political and government centre and that's where that crap should be kept!
This comment was edited on Sep 4, 18:48.

525 Comments. 27 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo