Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul J Turner

Real Name Paul J Turner   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname UnderLord
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Born an Englishman, living in Australia, Self-employed, Life is Good!
I've been into electronics and computing since the Apple][ and the Intel 4004.
Still loving both jobs/hobbies!
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2002, 22:54
Total Comments 523 (Apprentice)
User ID 13987

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Blu-ray 360 Feb 18, 2008, 15:56 UnderLord

Like I said - http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=85217
When MS has to have a HD offering to compete with the PS3, and there's only one kind of disk, it no longer makes sense to have a DVD drive AND a HD drive on the grounds of cost.
Plus it's a chance to sneak in a new model with newer cooler-running chips and better thermal design and it will be clearly distinguished from the older unreliable 360 line.
Maybe they'l add a HDD and call it the '360 Elite' ;-)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
5. Re: Console Price war Feb 17, 2008, 20:45 UnderLord

Well, I run Vista at home and at work and develop chip-based devices on Windows that run non-windows OS'.
Still, I wouldn't call myself an MS fan-boy or hater, but what I do hate is bodgy engineering and bad treatment of customers.
You can have a nice new Xbox, it fails and gets sent away and you get some refurbished piece of Gen' 1 crap back.
While ever MS thinks a 360 is a 360 is a 360, nobody who cares about reliabilityy and quality will be recommending them to their friends (I sure don't).
So that is why I think a new product is in order, I don't think the association of Xbox 360 and Quality is recoverable.

3. Re: Console Price war Feb 17, 2008, 19:01 UnderLord

I'm not entirely convinced MS will go the add-on route.
Their repair and return to the channel strategy has done a great deal of damage to the product image amongst the savvy, and everyone knows someone like that to ask advice from.
The best thing would be to release a new Xbox, that is fully compatible with the 360, using new technology chips, better engineering and a built-in HD drive, now that there is a clear winner and the market is expected to take off.
Unusually short for a product generation, but then it's just a hardware version of a service pack, MS knows all about them!

1. Console Price war Feb 17, 2008, 17:09 UnderLord

"Sony are at a huge cost disadvantage with their Blu Ray drive in the PS3 compared with the much cheaper DVD in the Microsoft Xbox 360."
It's a bit much comparing a HD solution to the old DVD standard, and where will Microsoft get new HD-DVD drives now that they won't be getting them from Toshiba?
Not much doubt in my mind that MS will announce a changeover to Blu-ray within a month or two.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Nvidia buy AMD? Feb 14, 2008, 00:54 UnderLord

Actually, here's a thought, From one console generation to the next is usually a huge technology increment.
But that's not how the CPUs and GPUs are developed, they are the result of several smaller improvements in design and technology, each step paid for by sales of those incrementally improved products.
Without the PC as a gaming platform providing a market for those products to support this ongoing development, there wouldn't be compellingly better CPUs and GPUs for the next generation of consoles so either cycles would be MUCH longer and/or the next generation consoles more expensive as they have to pay for the new hardware development, or the market would be much less lucrative and not worthwhile.
So, I conclude that Consoles NEED PCs as gaming platforms and us PC gamers needn't worry at all.
This comment was edited on Feb 14, 00:55.

1. Nvidia buy AMD? Feb 14, 2008, 00:45 UnderLord

Not too likely from a monopoly point of view.
But MS has a few billion it didn't spend recently, they could buy them and make the AMD CPU/GPU include a Physics PPU supported by DirectX and leave Nvidia/Aegia looking a bit stupid!
They'd have all the technology they need for the next-generation console in-house too, so the PC/Console debate need never arise, they would be VERY similar platforms!

This comment was edited on Feb 14, 00:58.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Smoking! Feb 13, 2008, 23:50 UnderLord

Typo' in the Epic story...
"In related news, Devroot Studio announced that they have singed a licensing deal with Epic."

News Comments > Intel, Microsoft, NVIDIA, AMD, and More in Gaming Alliance
15. First get all your ducks in a row... Feb 13, 2008, 00:47 UnderLord

I reckon the most likely explanation is that Microsoft wants to push a unified physics API across all the hardware platforms and this will be the group needed to do that.
After DirectPhysics is official of course, the alliance may not get quite so much attention...

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Strong Xbox sales this year Feb 12, 2008, 00:24 UnderLord

I'm sure they will be, when they officially ditch HD-DVD for Blu-ray...

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Suing Google Feb 11, 2008, 22:55 UnderLord

This comment was edited on Feb 11, 23:04.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Samsung sued by an idiot Feb 11, 2008, 22:48 UnderLord

If you don't know that you're likely to face problems with anything with software OR hardware 1.0, then you know nothing about technology and should not join in with the big-boy early adopters.
This comment was edited on Feb 11, 22:49.

News Comments > Into the Black
2. DARPAs' AI for Air Traffic Control Feb 11, 2008, 22:26 UnderLord

So THAT'S why it gets to be called SkyNet!

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Spotted in the Yahoo article Feb 8, 2008, 16:52 UnderLord

A nice bit of revisionism there by mr Jobs, along the lines of "We didn't go after Palm". What was the Newton then?

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Wlking Power Feb 7, 2008, 20:21 UnderLord

"The scientists tested the knee brace on six men walking on a treadmill at 1.5 metres per second."
That's 5.4 km/h, pretty darned brisk exercise for 'free' power.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. XP WILL be available Feb 7, 2008, 15:52 UnderLord

I have used Vista (32 bit with 2GB RAM) for work every day since September and only had one problem which a patched DLL solved.
But I have had minor problems with my Chinese manufacturers using their home-grown XP clone.
None the less, if they see a market in the west you can bet that they'll polish it up and westernise it and make it available.
And all Microsofts whining and lawyers won't impress them at all, it'll be "come over here and fight that case in our courts".

News Comments > DNF in 2008 on PCs and Consoles? - Updated
32. Believe it when I see it Feb 6, 2008, 18:26 UnderLord

I'm pretty sre that I WON'T believe it when I see it, followed by a state of shock.

I hope it ships with the level-editor/SDK from day one, I don't know if I'll still be around when the official add-on pack is released.

1. Phase Change Memory Feb 5, 2008, 02:33 UnderLord

Intel are damned lucky that they found TWO extra states between the first two, or they would have had to try and use 3-level-logic!
Now THAT would have been a real change!

News Comments > NVIDIA to Acquire AGEIA
17. Doesn't matter Feb 5, 2008, 02:11 UnderLord

If Microsoft comes out with a completely different physics API in DirectX, the card makers will have to comply or not compete.
Then Havok and Aegeia etc are all as doomed as glide and hardware curved-surface rendering on the Nvidia NV1 was.

Also, I wonder what this does to Nvidias' GeForce 9 'Quantum Effects' engine work?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_9_Series

And lastly, external power-supply bricks universally suck!
That's why you don't get dinky little hifi's,VCRs and DVD players with damned nuisance bricks to hide against the wall.
Why the big console companies imagine that they will ever make it into the living roon as a media centre with non-stackable hot-running box with a lump in a wire to hide somewhere, I can't imagine.

News Comments > New American McGee Game Unveiled
20. With any luck... Feb 4, 2008, 21:28 UnderLord

Maybe the un-named game is the return of "American McGee's Oz", well I can dream can't I?
'Alice' was a brilliant storyline and about as good as the technology of the day could manage.
(Though we haven't got much closer to rendering curved surfaces, it just looks like we have.
It's about time we had video cards that can do proper curved surfaces, like the 'good old NV1' relatively speaking, funny to think we went backwards to where we are today.
Guess who is to blame for that... http://www.firingsquad.com/features/nvidiahistory/page2.asp )
This comment was edited on Feb 4, 22:17.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Andoid SKD Feb 4, 2008, 17:57 UnderLord

That's "Android SDK" for Googles forthcoming Android platform.
Not Blues typo', the site obviously has zero proof-reading, even by the authors!

523 Comments. 27 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo