Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul J Turner

Real Name Paul J Turner   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname UnderLord
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Born an Englishman, living in Australia, Self-employed, Life is Good!
I've been into electronics and computing since the Apple][ and the Intel 4004.
Still loving both jobs/hobbies!
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2002, 22:54
Total Comments 525 (Apprentice)
User ID 13987

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
6. Re: Vista Upgrades Mar 18, 2008, 23:12 UnderLord

No problems so far, Office 2007 and Outlook work fine too.
I haven't bought any new games in a while, but Sauerbraten is fine (including in-world editing) and the Hellgate: London demo runs at least as smoothly as before installing SP1.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Vista Upgrades Mar 18, 2008, 21:47 UnderLord

I downloaded and upgraded my Vista Home Premium 32-bit Windows with SP1 this morning (Aus' time).
Although I was only missing about 68MB of the possible 448 MB download, it took over 2 hours to install it all!
Still, all seems well, no endless re-boot loops as some had with the Beta.

2. Microchip-sized 'fan' Mar 18, 2008, 21:37 UnderLord

With side-effects somewhere between an air-ioniser that makes you feel good, and an ozone source worse than a laser printer that definitely won't.
(As I said when this story was posted in Morning Tech Bits)

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Open standards gaming PC Mar 18, 2008, 14:48 UnderLord

Acer misses the point of the PC completely.
It is a CONTINUOUSLY evolving platform that provides the market and funding for ongoing development of the CPU, GPU and to a lesser extent, the rest of a PCs components.
A machine with a fixed spec is a console that has to have a stable period of years and won't fund development of next gen hardware until the next release, when the intervening development costs will be expected to be borne all at once by the purchasers.
And that plan just won't fly.

2. Researchers provide a chill... Mar 18, 2008, 14:37 UnderLord

With side-effects somewhere between an air-ioniser that makes you feel good, and an ozone source worse than a laser printer that definitely won't.

News Comments > Monday Metaverse
1. Googles' concerns Mar 17, 2008, 23:28 UnderLord

"We would hope that anything they did would be consistent with the openness of the Internet, but I doubt it would be."
What? Open like Google in China you mean? (pot/kettle)

News Comments > Metaverse
1. 'Ghosts' success Mar 13, 2008, 22:38 UnderLord

It just strikes me as a little ironic that just as Tim Sweeney is dissing the PC and concentrating on consoles, Trent Reznor rediscovers the shareware model that built Epic and Id all those years ago.
I somehow doubt that the console network owners will be turning over similar percentages of earnings to the artists, if they ever DO achieve their stated goals of being the centre of home entertainment, let alone provide DRM-free downloadable music.
Just another reason why the PC will ultimately prevail over the console.

This comment was edited on Mar 14, 00:17.

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Speak of the Devil! Mar 13, 2008, 22:05 UnderLord

Just a few line up from here...
Video Road Hogs Stir Fear of Internet Traffic Jam.

'Better be careful what you post! ;-)

News Comments > Tim Sweeney Q&A - Epic's Console Engine
20. Don't take any notice Mar 13, 2008, 21:03 UnderLord

Tim is just wrong!
Do you seriously think that the hardware manufacturers are going to work hard on the next generation console CPUs and Graphics, selling nothing to the PC gaming market in the meantime, and then have a selling-price fight with console makers who have to pay the whole development costs of the intervening 5 years or so?
Bollocks!
The hardware guys NEED the PC market, they don't have any option, consequently the software guys had better get their heads out of their arses and help keep the PC well supplied with cutting-edge games that drive and fund the hardware development, or the next-gen consoles will be pieces of shit with no significant improvements over this gen'.
Then no-one will buy them and Epic etc' can sit and look at the stack of unsold boxes of games for consoles no-one wants.
Edited for Typo's
This comment was edited on Mar 13, 21:06.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. The lady on the toilet Mar 13, 2008, 19:59 UnderLord

Maybe she strained too hard and blew a blood vessel in her brain and went odd?

1. Intel SSD Mar 11, 2008, 16:15 UnderLord

I wouldn't touch an SSD with a barge-pole unless it came with at LEAST a 3 year warranty, including diminished capacity from over-used sectors being locked out.
I don't think Flash has enough write-cycles for serious PC use, even with a wear-levelling filing system.
And I have been using such things in embedded systems for over 5 years, starting with JFFS (Journaling Flash Filing System) on eCos on a PowerPC card, so I DO have a clue.

News Comments > Sweeney: PCs Good for Anything... But Games
28. The game is changing Mar 11, 2008, 04:38 UnderLord

The new AMD 780G chipset manages rather decent integrated graphics performance, check out Anandtech or Toms Hardware reviews for the last week.
Best of all it can use separate video RAM on the motherboard, avoiding the ugly bastard, never successful, cheap-arse, crappy, unified memory solutions.
(You can tell I don't rate unified memory solutions, right?)

News Comments > Mobilization
2. Adobe Flash not suitable Mar 6, 2008, 00:55 UnderLord

In reality, it's just that Jobs' is all hot and sweaty to get Silverlight on th iPhone ;-)

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Size Matters Mar 2, 2008, 15:48 UnderLord

It's called a console...

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Security skills of IT workforce lacking Feb 29, 2008, 18:34 UnderLord

What a stupid story by a complete moron.
Given the vast spectrum of skills encompassed in the IT workforce, that is like complaining "Plumbing skills of Building workforce lacking".
There is actually 100% skills present in the sector of the IT workforce dealing with security!

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Terminator Rising Feb 28, 2008, 01:28 UnderLord

Oh goody! Now when we go into war alonside the US, we can look forward to AUTOMATED Friendly Fire!

News Comments > Champions Online Movie
4. Disappointing Feb 26, 2008, 14:09 UnderLord

No Alexandra Bastedo! ;-)

For the young 'uns - http://thechampionsfan.homestead.com/bio.html

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
2. MS Pulls Plug on HD DVD Feb 25, 2008, 02:58 UnderLord

"we will continue to give consumers the choice to enjoy digital distribution of high definition movies and TV shows directly to their living room".
Clueless pricks! In Australia, My 1.5 Mbps ADSL line costs AU $80 / month and has a 25GB cap, after which speeds drop to 256 Kbps.
That's days to download half a Blu-ray disk a month.
Until broadband is at least fibre to the kerb and 100 Mbps uncapped, a high-def drive is not an option in the living room, it's a necessity.

News Comments > Sony's Free Game Engine
7. Re: No subject Feb 21, 2008, 16:42 UnderLord

It's "XNA Game Studio 2.0" now - http://creators.xna.com/Education/GettingStarted.aspx
and Visual Studio Express 2008 - http://www.microsoft.com/express/product/default.aspx
Still all free though!

News Comments > New ZDoom
1. Still DOOMing Feb 21, 2008, 16:15 UnderLord

Tougher to kill than a Doom Marine! Good to see.
On a whim, I visited Team TNT - http://www.teamtnt.com/
Wow! Activity again after a long pause since May 2004!
I got the teaser for "Eternal DOOM IV: Return from Oblivion", now I might try playing it with Zdoom, though I've enjoyed using Doomsday and Risen3D (particularly with Sitters' maps) lately.

525 Comments. 27 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo