Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul J Turner

Real Name Paul J Turner   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname UnderLord
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Born an Englishman, living in Australia, Self-employed, Life is Good!
I've been into electronics and computing since the Apple][ and the Intel 4004.
Still loving both jobs/hobbies!
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2002, 22:54
Total Comments 523 (Apprentice)
User ID 13987

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: Silicon Knights' favorite games Dec 15, 2009, 23:56 UnderLord

Being crap programmers and blaming the makers of the game-engine that only they seem to have trouble with?  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Man, Weíve Come a Long Way From Flop Nov 30, 2009, 22:35 UnderLord

Bottom right hand corner "1MB = 1024 Bytes" - FAIL  

News Comments > NIMF Closing
2. Re: NIMF Closing Nov 20, 2009, 21:48 UnderLord

Clearly another case of a small vocal minority being terribly concerned on other peoples behalf, but not enough to put their hand in their pocket!  

News Comments > No RAGE Dedicated Server?
38. Re: No RAGE Dedicated Server? Nov 6, 2009, 00:48 UnderLord

In a completely different thought on the actual subject of this thread -

What we need is a game architecture where people can find fellow players for a game, much like a social networking site, but the actual game is server-less and based on peer-to-peer communications with some form of narrow-casting protocol for the duration of the match.

I was thinking that with the vast range of IPv6 addresses, a cluster of a few million 'subnets' could be reserved for collaborations (which is what a network game is after all) of different sized groups of people.
Then you would need some form of loaning out a subnet for a preset period, similar to a dhcp IP address, together with secure keys for the session to keep the subnet private and jerk-free.

The cost of the universal collaboration / game-set-up system maintenance overall should be so low that there would never be a need to tear it down, no dedicated game servers either, so you could be playing your favourite games for decades if there is still interest in it.

33. Re: No RAGE Dedicated Server? Nov 6, 2009, 00:20 UnderLord

Hi Beamer, I feel that this drum I have been banging is getting a bit tired, but here goes...

For one, what do the console manufacturers losses have to do with where Carmack can make more money?

That wasnít what I was referring to, simply that the manufacturers of the major gaming consoles havenít made a profit yet but PC manufacturers are making actual (though thin lately) profits.
Sony back in the black next year, fat chance!
You should have read the linked article that explained quite clearly these were the original Xbox losses for 5 years.
However, follow the links to here - http://neogaf.net/forum/showpost.php?p=18269957&postcount=75 you can see the relatively tiny MS profits in 2008/2009. Marvellous? I think not.

...If the PC gamers were "funding" better graphics then...

How does what Nvidia may or may not do in the future change the fact that PC people have been buying each new iteration of graphics card and financially supporting the ongoing development of them?

When I was in Best Buy yesterday they had no cards over $150.

What does where you can or canít buy a modern high-end card have to do with the fact that people nevertheless manage to buy millions of dollars worth of them?
Do you have some brand of console that you have been buying adapters for since you got it? No. Nor does anyone else.
The majority of the ongoing development of graphics cards is PC funded, they usually just do a cut-down version of their current greatest for the ícost-sensitiveí new console design.

That's a bit arrogant.

Well, when Iím right, Iím right! :-)

What's the logic there? How does taking PC games out of the equation raise the cost of consoles? Do you think PC games are subsidizing consoles? Detail that value chain for me.

One more time. If it wasnít for the PC gamers funding Graphics advances between consoles, console manufacturers would have to fund it all by themselves, or settle for a lacklustre generational improvement.
This cost would finally get so ridiculous that the cost would HAVE to be passed on to the console gamers (who wouldnít have much option if PC gaming was dead) to satisfy the all-important shareholders.
So, yes, PC gamers have indeed subsidised console development.

This comment was edited on Nov 6, 2009, 00:37.

17. Re: No RAGE Dedicated Server? Nov 5, 2009, 22:42 UnderLord

"...all the money is made on the consoles..."? What? did you miss this - http://www.edge-online.com/news/playstation-losses-since-ps3-launch-near-5-billion-report
And Xbox has lost 4.2 billion so far, in case you were wondering.
The only reason the next generation of consoles will have better graphics is because of all the development the PC gamers have supported/funded since the last generation of consoles came out.
They can't live without us but they haven't figured it out yet.
If they ever DO eliminate PC games, then the console guys will find themselves paying the true cost (many times the current cost) of consoles and a very long refresh time with very little improvement per generation.
And I for one will laugh at them!

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: PlayStation Losses Since PS3 Launch Nov 3, 2009, 03:59 UnderLord

So, MS has lost 4.2Bn$ on XboX and Sony has lost 4.7Bn$ on PS3.
Nobody lost a cent selling PCs to gamers.
When console players actually pay a non-subsidised price for their hardware, call me and tell me again how consoles are going to replace PCs in gaming.

News Comments > NVIDIA on an Impulse
12. Re: NVIDIA on an Impulse Sep 1, 2009, 19:54 UnderLord

Oh Goody, I can have my desktop icon layout fucked up automatically, instead of waiting for the MS WHQL-certified fiasco!
(They must have a different idea of 'Quality' driver installs to me)

What would be so damned hard about saving the desktop layout and restoring it after a driver update?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. The Perfect Airplane Aug 24, 2009, 17:53 UnderLord

A great story, apparently from a universe where Concord never happened!
Oh yeah The U.S. of 'Not Invented Here'

News Comments > Jekyll & Hyde Announced
2. Re: Jekyll & Hyde Announced Aug 23, 2009, 01:00 UnderLord

So, it appears that they are re-using the ORIGINAL 'Alone In The Dark' engine!  

News Comments > Wolfenstein Trailer
3. Re: Wolfenstein Trailer Aug 15, 2009, 04:09 UnderLord

"We have unlocked the key to another world"
How the fuck do you unlock a key, exactly?
Who writes these shit scripts? because I could do it ten times better!

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Aug 4, 2009, 23:13 UnderLord

I TOLD you that if we got rid of the limelight-seeking Jack Thompson that someone worse would take his place!

Actually, I think Grossman is against ALL violent media but doesn't have the balls to attack Hollywood and Big Media.
Which is where I think he has seriously underestimated the Games industry.

17. Re: Programmer Cake Jul 13, 2009, 01:41 UnderLord

The original - http://xkcd.com/303/

News Comments > Risen to Rise in October
7. Re: Risen to Rise in October Jul 2, 2009, 23:04 UnderLord

NOT the best choice of name as far as us Risen 3D fans are concerned!
http://risen3d.drdteam.org/

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: WoW tops Nielsen PC Usage Chart May 8, 2009, 19:50 UnderLord

And Second Life is second on the list and with MORE player time per week too!
http://www.massively.com/2009/05/07/second-life-pwns-gordon-freeman-warhammer-online-others/

2. Re: Out of the Blue May 8, 2009, 06:40 UnderLord

Seconded, just saw it today in Australia, Brilliant and no damage to the traditionalists either!  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: Sound Blaster Windows 7 beta driver Apr 28, 2009, 01:36 UnderLord

Well, in all fairness, I am over 50 and I KNOW that my hearing doesn't reach the higher frequency end as it once did, part of the reason for giving up DJ, Roadie and Club Installations.
Still, I can hear noise levels pretty well (more gain on the amplifier!) and I can tell FLAC from MP3 of the same source, so I'm not completely shot in the appreciation department.
I know that the old argument used to be that on-board sound sucked too much CPU and brought frame-rates down, but that is not really a problem with modern CPU horsepower and 3D off-loaded to the GPU.
I agree that Creative have been rubbish in their driver department for years though and they have pushed potential customers to the possibly inferior on-board solutions that have better supported drivers.
It's a shame really, they were great back in the day.
Does anyone have personal experience of using digital on-board sound (co-ax or optical fibre) fed to an amplifier? I would think that should be pretty decent?

4. Re: Sound Blaster Windows 7 beta driver Apr 28, 2009, 00:17 UnderLord

Those of us who understand how stupid it is to spend $1500 on a computer and "get by" on shit integrated audio

As an electronics and former audio engineer, I wonder what you find wrong with a modern 7.1 on-board sound solution?
Resolution? Sample rate? Noise? Cross-talk? Linearity? THD?
Or are you just living in the past?

2. Re: Sound Blaster Windows 7 beta driver Apr 27, 2009, 23:32 UnderLord

Out of curiosity, does anybody but the golden-ears crowd still buy sound cards?
I don't think the overhead of driving on-board sound chips is enough to matter in games, and the quality is more than adequate for the masses that find MP3 files good enough.

News Comments > Metaverse
1. Re: Hulu viewership Mar 26, 2009, 20:41 UnderLord

"Newly-hired executive Johannes Larcher joined Hulu this week to lead the site's expansion into international markets"

I guess the management of Hulu now agree with my previous complaint that they weren't honouring the 'www' concept.
No mention of any copyright difficulties to be overcome.

523 Comments. 27 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo