Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for MyRealName

Real Name MyRealName   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MyRealName
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2002, 18:03
Total Comments 766 (Graduate)
User ID 13980

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > ZeniMax Sues Oculus
20. Re: ZeniMax Sues Oculus May 22, 2014, 07:53 MyRealName

This nonsense where companies think they own their employees' every minute and thought needs to end. One of the first things you do on landing such a job is sign a contract agreeing to it. Disgusting. Maybe with Carmack and fb this'll be big enough that it has an effect toward change for the better.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Gone Gold - Thief; New Trailer Released
137. Re: Gone Gold - Thief; New Trailer Released Feb 7, 2014, 19:40 MyRealName

The dreaded "You've lost your memory" trope is in this game; I didn't know that. So you've lost it, but you remember how to be a master thief well enough. And then there's the one about "Nothing is off limits." Yes, well, as long as it highlights blue, and you don't have to jump to get there. I remember in the old days when you had to be within reaching distance of something, and had to mouse over it, before it would frob-highlight. Now you just hit focus and everything within view that can be interacted with glows like a blue beacon? That's just not... good. How many more generations of games must pass before greed isn't the driving force, and we go back to the challenge aspect of gaming? How many before dumbing-down is seen as a bad thing?

One correction to a post about 6 pages back: The Dark Mod is for Doom 3*, not Unreal 3.

*And in fact, it doesn't even require Doom 3 anymore, as it has gone standalone.
http://www.thedarkmod.com

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $33 Million
61. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 28, 2013, 09:25 MyRealName

I find it interesting that your definition of "exploration" seems limited to only what can be done on the ground. Surely you understand that some people might find trudging through mountains to find an as-yet undiscovered mining node just as boring as you find flying through space looking for a mineral-rich asteroid or a travel lane to a new star system.

"Seems" is key in your statement; you're missing my point. I'm not saying space isn't exploration or only first person "trudging" is. They both are, and since the people voted that they wanted to explore first and foremost, as many forms of exploration as are possible should be included. We have done the "I'm a ship!" type of floating in black gliding up to things followed by "interacting" with them (by shooting them) for decades. It IS old, and boring, and it's time that developers step up and take the experience to the next level.

What is the point in going to new locations if you can't do anything once you get there? Who the heck wouldn't want to park their ship on a strange, unexplored planet and get out and do stuff?

28. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 27, 2013, 17:16 MyRealName

1. I'm not sure you understood my meaning there. Nevermind.
2. Huh? Braben had a procedural galaxy in Frontier what, 21 years ago? And he has talked about and shown tech to do the same or similar now with Elite:Dangerous. Also, look up the procedural generation of Infinity, Space Engine, and Limit Theory. Indie budgets.

18. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 27, 2013, 16:04 MyRealName

Just to repeat what I said for the previous million, if they don't produce seamless planetfell and procedurally generated environments to explore -- in Crytek, ffs -- they they're just not trying and won't get my funding. I'll wait on Braben (who I'm watching/waiting on anyway) and/or indies.

I understand that when polled for the number one in-game interest by fans, the result came back "exploration." To me that does not mean endless flying around in blackness, passing by the occasional non-interactive orb (unless it has a station and auto-landing sequence assigned). Perhaps with shooting at stuff now and then. That gets boring really fast, and I think it stands behind the genre stalling for so long. Flying a circle around something is not exploration. To me exploration begins the moment I can arrive at something, park and explore it. Even if it is just to find a mining node in a procedurally generated mountain range. A beach, a forest, a cavern, whatever. Imagine -- you're doing your trading thing in your home system and reading the bulletin board, someone says something about a rumor of a [gold or other important mineral] rush on [some planet] in [some system]. You immediately take off for the planet and when you get there, the surrounding space, sky, and terrain are packed with dozens of ships and people walking around, all scouting for nodes. You park your wagon and start mining. Now you're part of the [planet] [mineral] rush of [year]. Maybe some disputes break out or maybe everyone works together; make some enemies, make some friends. When you tire of it or all the nodes are depleted, you move on to find an economy that pays you well for it.

And it could all be procedural, which is key. Now maybe that stuff will happen, and I will continue to hope. But I'm not sure SC will contain anything like this, even with all the money people are throwing at them and with the extensibility of the tech. The early planetside station demos are gorgeous and it would be a crime not to build upon that. Hand made assets, maybe even full cities (other games do it) and then the rest of the planet is left to procedural generation and suspension of disbelief. I keep hearing people say (official forums) "this isn't that game... some day." What the hell have we been waiting all this time for then? Why else would they say they could "finally" do the genre justice? Shinier graphics? Pass.

Gimme planets and well-designed procedural gameplay, CR!

In conclusion, Derek Smart.

News Comments > Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million
96. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 27, 2013, 09:44 MyRealName

If with $33M+, they can't produce seamless planetfall and procedurally generated environments to roam (even if it's not terribly exciting), then they're not trying hard enough and I'll wait for an indie or Braben to do it right.

Thousands on ships. Pah!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 25, 2013, 09:09 MyRealName

May your household find comfort.  

News Comments > Thief Trailer
18. Re: Thief Trailer Nov 2, 2013, 10:13 MyRealName

Dacron wrote on Nov 1, 2013, 20:26:
Cutter wrote on Nov 1, 2013, 18:47:
Jesus, they're really just destroyed this property.

But on the plus side I learned of "The Dark Mod" because of the bitching about the new Thief Feels just like the original games with better graphics. Thanks Thief for introducing me to a better iteration of yourself!

Damn straight. http://www.thedarkmod.com

This comment was edited on Nov 2, 2013, 10:18.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video
49. Re: Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video Oct 20, 2013, 20:34 MyRealName

"Give us two million dollars more and we'll... test it? Properly? More?"

Testing should not be an afterthought.

News Comments > Thief Dropping XP System
47. Re: Thief Dropping XP System Oct 18, 2013, 08:56 MyRealName

If there are seriously people refusing to even give The Dark Mod a try simply because it's based around fan missions instead of an "official" story arc, I can only strongly assert that they're missing out.

The vast majority of the 1000+ Thief/Thief 2 missions released to date have little to nothing to do with the original story, and I don't mean stinkers -- I'm talking about the highest rated big missions and campaigns. That is in of course in part because fans who can produce such work invariably have creativity and will of their own and want to distinguish their work.

TDM now has something like 70+ maps. A good chunk of them are campaigns and series. It's got more than one story; it's got many! Just like T1/T2 FMs. But I guess if you're not into playing FMs then that's a problem of a different type (not knowing or accepting that a great many of them are better than original missions, and sometimes land the authors in game Dev jobs...)

Anyway. You're missing out!

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 15, 2013, 09:02 MyRealName

Reprehensible or not, sciam is not the forum for such topics. I'm surprised so many don't see that; they're too busy rallying behind outrage.  

News Comments > The Dark Mod No Longer a Mod
5. Re: The Dark Mod No Longer a Mod Oct 12, 2013, 01:00 MyRealName

TDM is an excellent recreation of Thief gameplay in the Doom3 engine, and then some. All the old features are there (stuff Ion Storm couldn't even manage in T3) and many are improved. Examples: mantling is fixed, rope arrows are more flexible, lock picking has a challenging mini-game, sword fighting is a whole new ballgame, object manipulation (for physics, puzzles, etc), and the list goes on and on. It takes a while to even learn all the new features. Even the game menu is well designed, with an in-game mission preview/downloader. These guys weren't screwing around.

DarkRadiant, the editor, is just as awesome. If you know DromEd, it's got the same stuff (e.g., s&r system) and more (lit mode, readables editor, vertex blending, ase export, etc.) minus the limitations and crashes... really there's too much to mention. Suffice to say it's excellent).

Now it's standalone - even better. And it's open source so mod it all you want.

The thing it needs is more mappers, since all missions are fan made. I think there are around 70 maps now but Thief 1+2 have over a thousand together. Taffers, let's get crackin.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
7. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 11, 2013, 09:36 MyRealName

Shrug. Just play The Dark Mod.
You no longer need doom3 to play it, its standalone and free. Open source. Moddable, customizable, great map editor with too many features to list (darkradiant is freakin amazing) and all with classic Thief gameplay, but refined and improved by Thief purists. None of which T4 includes. TDM exceeds the originals and not just for graphics.

I'm not bummed about T4. It can go jump in a lake. Oh wait, no it can't... Only prescripted jumping is allowed (facepalm).

http://www.thedarkmod.com

News Comments > id Hiring a Design Director
22. Re: id Hiring a Design Director Aug 26, 2013, 09:24 MyRealName

BREAKING! Humorless eleven-year member labels newer members and members with fewer posts as "groupies" in hilarious, ironic attempt at condescension.

I'd hope I have more posts after 11 (?) years.

Nah, not condescension, yes humor. Id makes stuff a lot of people still like and they're pretty nice guys. JC is an icon. It gets tiring seeing the constant "Yeah, what he said!"-me-too-style pile-ons on a company that's been key to the entire industry.

EOC.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Also Features Microtransactions
35. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Also Features Microtransactions Aug 24, 2013, 08:33 MyRealName

Shocker. Hell I remember when TES would supposedly never enter the online arena. Times change, though the game stays the same (literally, in the case of TES; leveled lists, poor balance, poor player guidance, rehash settings, poor animation, fanatical hype...)

News Comments > id Hiring a Design Director
18. Re: id Hiring a Design Director Aug 24, 2013, 07:58 MyRealName

BREAKING! Game site groupie do-nothings take sarcastic pot-shots at popular target. News at 10.  

News Comments > Thief in February
37. Re: Thief in February Aug 17, 2013, 08:34 MyRealName

to limit console player frustration with a checkpoint save system by addressing the limited functionality/precision of a gamepad, or to artificially cover for some pretty shitty/lazy level design.

Precisely my thoughts on it. They know the controls and the player ability and the game design are limited and so they remove the possibility. Nevermind that it's part of the core gameplay to actually have to BE Garrett and prove you've got what it takes. Nevermind that skill is actually one of the foundations of playing and mastering a game. No, in the future, you won't fire unless there's something to shoot, won't move unless there's somewhere to go, and won't jump unless there's something to jump to. The future is here! It should pair up nicely with the rope arrows that can only be fired at set locations instead of at any wood.

You guys rebooting Thief don't get it. It's the gameplay, stupid.

Builder bless The Dark Mod and New Dark.

News Comments > Xbox One Controller for PCs in 2014
31. Re: Xbox One Controller for PCs in 2014 Aug 14, 2013, 08:48 MyRealName

Mouse, keyboard. Nothing else needed or better.  

News Comments > Saturday Previews
19. Re: Saturday Previews Aug 12, 2013, 09:03 MyRealName

"Jumping, bouncing up and down, kind of broke the immersion,” says Schmidt. “We didn’t want you to be the master thief and you just tend to fall off stuff all the time.” That’s fair...

No, reviewer. No, it's not. Both he and the devs need to understand that if you don't want to be a spaz in-game, you should use skill. Concept!

News Comments > Saturday Previews
18. Re: Saturday Previews Aug 12, 2013, 08:47 MyRealName

I went from hopeless to cautious and back to hopeless on this game. Forget it. Thief was (is) a game that changed it all for me in 1998, and these guys seek to "improve" on that, but all they're doing is cheapening it. I'll echo what another said: It's the gameplay, stupid. And they've done just about everything wrong. They don't -get- Thief.

If anyone is unaware, there is still an active Thief community creating excellent fan missions (more than a thousand to date), and there is also the excellent Dark Mod. I'll be happily sticking with those.

766 Comments. 39 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo