Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for eunichron

Real Name eunichron   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eunichron
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2002, 16:54
Total Comments 1789 (Pro)
User ID 13977

User comment history
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

News Comments > ARMA 3 Announced
50. Re: ARMA 3 Announced May 20, 2011, 19:39 eunichron

SectorEffector wrote on May 20, 2011, 15:18:
Post whatever game you think does a better job then ArmA with its full scale battles.

If you're talking purely from a large scale battle point of view, then I would say Battlefield. Obviously the game mechanics are not realistic, but the engine is there to support the kinds of combined arms and small unit tactics we use. That was my biggest gripe with ArmA, you can not have a full scale battle (battalion v. battalion with their various assets) without bringing even the best systems to a grinding halt. They try too hard make it look realistic without making it the true sim it could be.

I would actually enjoy ArmA a lot more if they used an outsourced engine (like Frostbyte) and focused on refining the things that it does do well (accurate ballistics, accurate models, etc.). Refine the commo and call for fire components to be more fluid (soldiers are people too, we don't talk like robots). Work on the AI so you don't have squadmates standing out in the open when you're getting shot at. You said they had advisers on board to consult, and with how it turned out I would seriously call in to question the quality of their advisers, because it seems to me like they just read a bunch of TMs and FMs and didn't think to consider how they are applied, or discarded, in the real world.

As for the sims that are used for training; I didn't intend to insult anyone, but any combat arms unit I've encountered does not use those sims. We had one mantra out of many, and that was, "Train like we fight," and that means doing FTXs, live fire exercises, combined unit training, and full scale training exercises like JRTC and NTC. I can not find any redeeming value in computer simulations for real-world training.

[EDIT]
I do like that they are adding more unconventional themes with the DLCs. I haven't played any of them, but the PMC DLC at least looks interesting, and different, as most games that include representations of PMCs tend to portray them as evil mercenaries.

This comment was edited on May 20, 2011, 20:30.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
15. Re: Op Ed May 20, 2011, 15:03 eunichron

With games like The Witcher 2 just released, and TES: Skyrim on the way, how can one claim that old-school RPGs are dying? Does Bioware dictate the entire RPG genre now?  

46. Re: ARMA 3 Announced May 20, 2011, 14:39 eunichron

Jerykk wrote on May 20, 2011, 04:27:
It seems to me that the primary distinction between the games is that ArmA is much more realistic than CoD/BF. When you say ArmA is not realistic, do you mean it is not realistic at all or it just isn't a perfect representation of reality?

The primary distinction is intent. CoD/BF try to be realistic in aesthetics only, ArmA tries to be a good representation of reality (I'm not going to say perfect because short of virtual reality that would just be impossible anyway). ArmA's problem is that in its attempt to be as close of a representation as possible, it misses the mark entirely and becomes unrealistic. It's exacerbated by the civilian players who think it is a perfect representation of reality, because they saw on the Military channel once that the Army uses the same technology to train (because obviously, when you're dealing with life and death situations you want to use video games to prepare [that's sarcasm btw]).

I'm not going to say it's impossible for a game to be a good representation of reality, but ArmA is not it.

42. Re: ARMA 3 Announced May 20, 2011, 03:11 eunichron

Jerykk wrote on May 20, 2011, 02:59:
I know what hyperbole means. I'm not sure how it applies to what you actually said. Hyperbole is used to grossly exaggerate something, either positively or negatively. Saying that ArmA is no more realistic than CoD or BF isn't a gross exaggeration. It's not even an exaggeration. It's just an inaccurate claim. Saying that CoD or BF are completely realistic combat simulations and the best games ever made is hyperbole.

Comparing ArmA to CoD/BF is hyperbole, as they are completely different games. It's ok that you didn't get that, because the point remains; ArmA is not realistic.

39. Re: ARMA 3 Announced May 20, 2011, 01:43 eunichron

Jerykk wrote on May 20, 2011, 01:23:
If you enjoy ArmA, that's fine, but don't for a second try to convince yourself that it is a realistic simulator. It is no more realistic than CoD or BF.

That's a bit of a stretch. ArmA may not be completely realistic but it's definitely more realistic than CoD or BF. For example, in real-life, if you get shot, hiding for a few seconds won't magically remove the bullet and heal the wound. Those things happen in CoD/BF but not in ArmA.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hyperbole

37. Re: ARMA 3 Announced May 20, 2011, 01:02 eunichron

SectorEffector wrote on May 19, 2011, 23:58:
Listen, military or not. It's based of an epic mil sim VBS2, and I can only say the missions being unrealistic should be minor compared to the fact that you can design your own engagements, play with friends, and even engage enemies at believable distances.

Play Call of Duty and your in a michael bay movie. fuck that.

or

Play ARMA 2 ( with the right custom mission online with other mil vets ), and you have an absolutely wonderful experience. Esp when the vet's designed the levels themselves.

Don't eat the frosting of the cake and decide the insides not for you.

Those "military simulators" are a fucking joke. I can tell you no self-respecting unit uses them. In my 4 years in we used sims twice, the first was a call-for-fire sim, the second was a qualification range sim. They were so completely useless that we never went back. They are about as realistic as unicorns and dragons.

If you enjoy ArmA, that's fine, but don't for a second try to convince yourself that it is a realistic simulator. It is no more realistic than CoD or BF.

29. Re: ARMA 3 Announced May 19, 2011, 18:50 eunichron

Having been an infantryman, my biggest gripe with ARMA isn't the AI or the weapons, but the scale of the battles. In the ARMA II demo it was just a squad, taking on an entire village, no one else. This is totally bullshit. Instead of just making the engine look pretty, they should make it able to handle 1-2 battalion sized elements on the map at any given time, plus support elements (close air support, mortars, artillery, etc.).

And get rid of the fucking robotic commo responses.

News Comments > New Total War Game in The Works
3. Re: New Total War Game in The Works May 18, 2011, 11:56 eunichron

Shogun 2 was indeed awesome.

What I'd really like to see is an Imperium Galactica style space TW game. That would make my day.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
4. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 15, 2011, 01:51 eunichron

I was already interested in it, but wanted to see initial reactions. That review seals the deal, just put in my pre-order. Hopefully it's not too late to get it delivered on Tuesday.  

News Comments > Diablo III Interviews
7. Re: Diablo III Interviews May 13, 2011, 16:03 eunichron

Clearly, all of these people ranting about how Diablo 3 looks like WoW have never played a Diablo game before. It's not about immersion and flashy graphics. It's about spamming your spells to kill the 90194 bad guys that are trying to kill you, and picking up loot, then doing it all over again against harder enemies for better loot.

The graphics are fine. The gameplay will be fine. There's not many ways you can fuck up hack and slash.

News Comments > WoW Subscriptions Down 5% Since 10/10
25. Re: WoW Subscriptions Down 5% Since 10/10 May 10, 2011, 08:54 eunichron

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 9, 2011, 23:46:
eunichron wrote on May 9, 2011, 23:17:
The talents have been cookie cutter since release. The first year or so there was leeway, but that was primarily because no one knew wtf they were doing.
Hardly. Up until Wrath, most dps and healer classes were using dual tree builds. Even in TBC, classes were doing split tree builds. The problem as it stands now is there is no breathing room in what you do. You *must* fill a tree. You must go this route, you must do this. Yeah...lot of people didn't like that.

I don't think you really understand what "cookie cutter" means. It has nothing to do with filling a tree, or being forced to fill a tree. Cookie cutter means there is one acceptable spec for a given class, role, and play style (PvE or PvP). Hybrid and split tree builds are still cookie cutter, because there was only ever one acceptable way of doing them. This has been true pretty much since BWL... MC was kind of the test of the waters, no one really knew the classes, hell, Blizzard themselves didn't really even know what they were doing (hence the big patch class revamps of vanilla WoW).

Yeah, bad players (not casuals) might have not followed cookie cutter specs, but one could not expect to make it in a serious, or even a semi-casual, raiding guild without one.

News Comments > WoW Subscriptions Down 5% Since 10/10
8. Re: WoW Subscriptions Down 5% Since 10/10 May 9, 2011, 23:17 eunichron

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 9, 2011, 23:07:
Doombringer wrote on May 9, 2011, 22:51:
. WoW is 6 years old, you're going to see some drop-off in subscribers.
It's not so much the age, but the fact that they screwed talents so badly that everyone is cookiecutter, and the content is mediocre.

The talents have been cookie cutter since release. The first year or so there was leeway, but that was primarily because no one knew wtf they were doing.

I think it has more to do with content. I've seen all of the current content, and while a lot of it, most of it, is fun, it's not really fresh or new in terms of mechanics and settings, and a lot of it is really rehashed. With the next content patch they're just doing more of the same by bringing back Ragnaros. I think it's pretty obvious Blizzard is trying to put it on the back burner and make room for upcoming projects (Diablo 3 and Titan).

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
4. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 8, 2011, 00:49 eunichron

The only really sad part is this whole debacle made me realize I only use my PS3 for Netflix and Bluray... except for Netflix, which I can just use directly from my TV anyway, I haven't missed PSN one bit.  

News Comments > Why RAGE Has No Deathmatch
11. Re: Why RAGE Has No Deathmatch May 1, 2011, 14:57 eunichron

yuastnav wrote on May 1, 2011, 13:54:
It's amazing how he talks about... something without actually ever saying why there is no deathmatch mode.

I think the part you're looking for is right here:

We've done competitive multiplayer before. We've had some successes; we've had some failures. But we wanted to stick to our guns and say Rage is something different.

Damn it, Bhruic beat me to it. That's what I get for not refreshing before posting.

But anyway, I'm glad id is trying something different. It will be nice to see if they still have it in them, or if they really are just an engine generator making glorified tech demos.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Narcissist Comics Cartoon - Savage Chickens. Apr 28, 2011, 16:55 eunichron

PHJF wrote on Apr 28, 2011, 15:18:
Man I wish I'd grown up in the arcades. Nintendo was fun and all, but I'd have liked to, you know, "get out there" and blow piles of quarters.

It went a little more like this; beg mom for money to go to arcade. Mom says no, and insists that video games will melt your brain. Dig around and scrounge up a couple coins. Spend 30 minutes playing video games until your .75 is gone, spend the rest of the day loitering at the arcade with your friends, watching other people play.

News Comments > RIFT Event Extended
2. Re: RIFT Event Extended Apr 10, 2011, 18:16 eunichron

I played during the head start event, and a little bit during my spring break, but school has since taken up all my time and I haven't been able to see how the game is still holding up. Are there any figures or statistics showing how many people are still playing? How many people stayed past the free month?  

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Apr 9, 2011, 03:32 eunichron

Journalists with terrible spelling and grammar and more likely to get a job with theinquirer.net.  

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Trailers
3. Re: Feces trailer Apr 1, 2011, 15:40 eunichron

I can't imagine the shitstorm this game is going to cause when it gets released.  

News Comments > New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers
27. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Mar 30, 2011, 09:24 eunichron

Verno wrote on Mar 29, 2011, 22:33:
The hardware is fine, it's the drivers that suck.

CCC got a big rewrite finally but unfortunately the UI is still terrible. The Nvidia cpanel isn't much better but is more logically laid out at least. What specific problems are you encountering? How do the drivers suck exactly?

Anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering not working through the CCC (RIFT and Shogun 2 specifically), having to jump through hoops to get the image use all of my monitor space using HDMI and 1080p, and it still occasionally resets itself so that there are spaces of black bars around the edge of the screen. Now I can add BSOD while installing a new driver to the list.

Which I realize is not all the fault of AMD/ATI, some of it is the fault of game programmers, but my last card as a 9800 GTX that i had for nearly 2 years, and never had a single issue with it. I always buy ASUS brand hardware (motherboard and graphics card at least), so my 9800GTX and my 5870 are both ASUS, so I'm sure it's not the manufacturer... that leaves the drivers.

News Comments > New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers
19. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Mar 29, 2011, 20:38 eunichron

Overon wrote on Mar 29, 2011, 19:41:
eunichron wrote on Mar 29, 2011, 18:22:
Great. The driver install caused a blue screen, my first ever on WIn7.

Sick of this shit, I'm switching back to Nvidia next generation.
Something wrong with your graphics card maybe, like a hardware problem.

The hardware is fine, it's the drivers that suck. I have an HD 5870 that I bought last year, first non Nvidia card I've ever owned, because I was assured by trusted friends that their past driver horror stories were a thing of the past. After my experiences with the Catalyst drivers and the Catalyst Control Center I was about to just buy a 580 or SLI 570s, and put away the 5870 for some other project machine. I'll just deal with it until the next generation, or until I can't stand it anymore.

I guess I'm going to have to knock a couple of those trusted friends down to a notch below, "Take what they say with a grain of salt." friends.

1789 Comments. 90 pages. Viewing page 37.
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo