Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for eunichron

Real Name eunichron   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eunichron
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2002, 16:54
Total Comments 1789 (Pro)
User ID 13977

User comment history
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 9, 2011, 16:59 eunichron

It makes me wonder though, if Bill Gates were to die tomorrow, what kind of reception would that news get?  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer
3. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Oct 7, 2011, 23:39 eunichron

So far the only people I know who have gotten SW:TOR beta invites are Star Trek fans that hate the whole Star Wars mythos. I think they're deliberately ignoring us Star Wars fans.  

News Comments > AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Driver for BF3 & RAGE
12. Re: AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Driver for BF3 & RAGE Oct 7, 2011, 19:41 eunichron

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 7, 2011, 18:38:
It's too late, I've already switched back to a GTX 460. Runs RAGE buttery smooth with NO glitches at all and BF3 works fine, too, with the same beta drivers they released a couple weeks ago... This is like the fifth driver release AMD has made since then, very disappointing.

Indeed. My current 5870 is the first time I've bought anything but Nvidia since I bought a GeForce2 Ti to replace my 3dfx Voodoo3 3000 almost 10 years ago. It's a great card, when it works, but needless to say, I'll be going back to Nvidia when the new round of cards are released early next year.

News Comments > BF3 Caspian Border Testing; Open Beta Issues
32. Re: BF3 Caspian Border Testing; Open Beta Issues Oct 7, 2011, 15:36 eunichron

Tumbler wrote on Oct 7, 2011, 13:25:
Will be interesting to see what people have to say about the caspian map. Hopefully there will be some kind words.

I got to play it for a few hours when it was under limited testing... and it was pretty amazing. The map itself was a decent size, I'd probably place it between one of the medium and large maps in BF2, slightly smaller than the largest maps in BFBC2. This at least made it large enough that vehicle travel was a big benefit, but you weren't SOL if you had to hump it across the map, and with 64 players there wasn't too many lulls in the battle. The vehicle balance needed a little tweaking, they actually seemed a little underpowered. One Engineer could take out a tank alone with ease. Helicopters were shot down almost immediately after take-off without any countermeasures. Hopefully they can beef them up a little bit (or speed up the vehicle unlocks) to bring back the need for teamwork to bring down vehicles.

But overall I think all the beta naysayers will change their tune when they get a chance to play Caspian... it is definitely a classic BF map.

News Comments > Blue's Diablo III Beta Preview
54. Re: Blue's Diablo III Beta Preview Oct 5, 2011, 02:01 eunichron

Bhruic wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 19:52:

The removal of Town Portals and lack of any real consequence for death is disconcerting

Wait, what? They still have Town Portals, they just aren't called "Town Portal" anymore, and they are activated by a stone, rather than scrolls. Functionally, they are pretty much identical (barring a cast timer).

It's more the cast time that I was referring to. "Stone of Recall" just sounds so "Hearthstone." In Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 at least part of the strategy was making sure you had enough portals to be able to get out when things got hairy. I understand this is exactly why the developers opted instead for a Hearthstone... sorry, I mean "Stone of Recall" ... but I'm sure there was another way they could work around it being a "combat exploit" without such a major change.

News Comments > RAGE Interview
29. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 5, 2011, 01:55 eunichron

I said it almost a decade ago when Doom 3 was in development, and I still stand by it; id doesn't make games anymore, they make glorified tech demos. I don't know why anyone bothers to expect a developed story, world, and characters from them at all. Buy their games if you want to see efficient engines with flashy graphics, if you want solid gameplay and a well constructed narrative, look elsewhere.  

News Comments > Blue's Diablo III Beta Preview
34. Re: Blue's Diablo III Beta Preview Oct 4, 2011, 19:32 eunichron

The removal of Town Portals and lack of any real consequence for death is disconcerting. Those were two staples of Diablo that really should be in any of the games.  

News Comments > Notch: Mojang Offered "To Give Up the Trademark" for Scrolls
10. Re: Notch: Mojang Offered Oct 3, 2011, 22:12 eunichron

Krovven wrote on Oct 3, 2011, 21:52:
So please link where it says they tried to trademark any instance of Scrolls.

Lucky for you Blue already did that for you; Kotaku Article

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 3, 2011, 17:20 eunichron

WaltC wrote on Oct 3, 2011, 16:07:
Creston wrote on Oct 3, 2011, 15:45:
And Windows 8 will never overtake it. There's no way the Enterprise will adopt their stupid Tablet OS.

Creston

Just remember that the tablet UI will not replace or usurp the standard Windows desktop. You'll be able to use either UI--and possibly even some hybrid of the two. The emphasis of late has been on demonstrating the differences that Win 8 will bring as opposed to the similarities with Win7. But I agree with you--the tablet UI does nothing for me, really, so that will not be the reason I buy Win8, should I buy it at all.

I think the thing that is most interesting about Win7 is that it is, aside from its name, literally Vista 2.0...;) It's always funny to read the comments written by people who "hated Vista" but "love Win7," accordingly. I think Microsoft's biggest mistake with Vista was its name--obviously. Had Vista been named Win7 I think it would have been heralded as great success, oddly enough, or had Win7 been called "Vista 2" it would have been heralded as a flop, imo. People really don't like getting away from the "Windows" nomenclature.

Yeah, it is similar to Vista in aesthetics, but better as far as stability, compatibility, and usability. I didn't dislike Vista, but Win7 is leaps and bounds better in the categories that matter.

I'm interested in Win8, but I really don't like the way they are marketing it. It's basically just Win7 with a tablet interface overlay... but the real kicker is that word on the street is Win8 will be its ubiquity. Supposedly the installer will be able to detect what the hardware on your machine is and install a kernel that is appropriate, be it a smartphone, tablet, notebook, netbook, hardcore gaming rig, or even that 10 year old 1Ghz/256MB machine that's collecting dust in your closet. This would be great for enterprise solutions, especially for companies that don't want to, or can't afford, upgrading machines. Of course the regular end users don't care about the scalability of the kernel, they like seeing flashy new touch interfaces.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2011, 16:19 eunichron

There's always money in the banana stand.  

News Comments > John Carmack at Mesquite Midnight RAGE Release
41. Re: John Carmack at Mesquite Midnight RAGE Release Oct 1, 2011, 23:13 eunichron

Blegvad wrote on Oct 1, 2011, 22:40:
The only thing I can surmise from reading the comments threads around here is that Blue is amazingly lenient. I have yet to see Cutter ever make a cogent point or contribute anything to a discussion other than uncalled for insults and tons of hyperbole.

I don't know what it takes to get banned around here, but it's clearly a lot. This place would be 1000% times more civil and engaging without that sort of bollocks.

/backtothenews

On topic: Carmack is a legend and I'd love to shake his hand and say thanks regardless of the venue.

Welcome to Bluesnews!

News Comments > Midday Tech Bits
22. Re: Midday Tech Bits Sep 30, 2011, 19:01 eunichron

I've switched between my SB X-Fi and my onboard sound before and there definitely is a very noticeable difference in sound quality, even though my X-Fi is nearly 5 years old and PCI, theoretically my onboard sound should be better quality. Not to mention having a discrete card allows much more options in configuration and external bits. I'll upgrade it to a PCIe Xonar sooner or later, but as someone mentioned the biggest problem is that game developers don't seem to code for hardware sound anymore.

I'm still running the old Klipsch ProMedia 5.1s... I wish I could afford better, but I've had them since 2003 and they have never failed me, they aren't going anywhere any time soon.

News Comments > RAGE Trailer
17. Re: RAGE Trailer Sep 30, 2011, 03:27 eunichron

The engine looks great. Can't wait until someone makes a game with it.  

News Comments > BF3 Open Beta Begins
84. Re: BF3 Open Beta Begins Sep 29, 2011, 19:28 eunichron

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 19:13:
So does anyone know why we actually need Origin running? It doesn't seem to be doing anything, after you launch the beta it just opens the battlelog in your browser and that's about it. From there on you are in the web browser to launch the game and end up back in the browser when you close the game. Doesn't seem to be any integration or link in between Origin and Battlelog.

There is no need to have Origin running. You can browse directly to Battlelog and open the game from there, but it will open Origin before joining the server.

Dades wrote:
beta plays like a buggy COD clone.
A beta? Buggy? Ya don't say...

News Comments > AMD Battlefield 3 Preview Driver
1. Re: AMD Battlefield 3 Preview Driver Sep 28, 2011, 00:37 eunichron

Hopefully this resolves some of the screen flashing issues. The beta runs well as it is, but there are some obvious issues that need immediate attention.

Wow these are some amazing optimized drivers. Team/enemy tags disappear entirely, and performance takes a huge dump every minute or so. Good job, AMD.

This comment was edited on Sep 28, 2011, 01:09.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Beta Graphics Analysis
13. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Graphics Analysis Sep 27, 2011, 18:10 eunichron

Actually got into a server not long after finishing the download. Graphics are amazing, even if they're not maxed out (I'm on an HD 5870). The sound is underwhelming, which is surprising since BC2's sound was so amazing (I have it set on War Tapes, same as BC2).

Prone and sniper seems to be the name of the game. Hopefully they won't be as dominant on other maps/game modes. Would have been nice to see a Conquest map at least.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 ShakyCam Footage
2. Re: Battlefield 3 ShakyCam Footage Sep 26, 2011, 22:29 eunichron

Actual in-game footage doesn't start until 19 seconds into part 4, for those wondering.

No ability to create a custom squad, see other squads to join/switch to, or lock squads.
If that is true I'm sure it will get patched in quick. Since BC2 had full squad options, there's absolutely no reason for BF3 to not have them.

Anyway, early access beta starts tomorrow, I guess we'll find out then.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
7. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Sep 24, 2011, 21:36 eunichron

The extent of my Mac usage doesn't go beyond using the iMacs at the school library to do a quick catalog search... but I have to say, if I could get a Macbook Pro for just a couple hundred bucks more than a comparable PC laptop, I would love to have one as my general use internet/e-mail/IM machine. Yes, I know that it is the same hardware as a PC, but there are advantages to Apple's fascist, dictatorial, autocratic ways.  

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic December Launch; Pricing Details
15. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic December Launch, Pricing Details Sep 24, 2011, 15:26 eunichron

Ant wrote on Sep 24, 2011, 14:45:
I still want a free sampler (e.g., beta and trial) before paying.

I don't think they've announced anything about an open beta yet, but I'm sure it will happen. Buying the game also includes 1 month of play time.

News Comments > Valve to Release Dota 2 "As Fast As We Can"
17. Re: Valve to Release Dota 2 Sep 23, 2011, 18:44 eunichron

Kobalt wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 18:01:
Problem with that is,dota 2 is just dota 1 with better graphics.They said they wanted people to move from dota 1, how is that going to happen when they don't even have all the heroes? I think this will hurt them on the esports side.

I think that if they think the game is in a good enough state to stake a $1 million tournament on it, then it's probably in a good enough state for open beta. They can always add more heroes later, and since it will most like be F2P (if they want to compete with WC3: DOTA and LoL), I'm sure they will add many more down the road.

1789 Comments. 90 pages. Viewing page 33.
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo