Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for eunichron

Real Name eunichron   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eunichron
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2002, 16:54
Total Comments 1789 (Pro)
User ID 13977

User comment history
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 11, 2011, 15:22 eunichron

Happens to be my birthday today as well. Only 29, but I already feel like I should be well in my 30s. Definitely going to play some DOOM tonight to celebrate, just have to make some social appearances first (free sushi!).  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer; Launch Events
7. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer; Launch Events Dec 10, 2011, 01:59 eunichron

Kobalt wrote on Dec 10, 2011, 00:18:
Cutter wrote on Dec 9, 2011, 23:30:
Whatever, will see everyone in GW2 in 3 or 6 months or whenever it launches.

I'm going to laugh when gw2 comes out and everyone is disappointed. Seems like everyone forgot guild wars 1 wasn't amazing. And the fact that they are promising the world like every failed mmo should raise a red flag.

GW1 wasn't amazing, but it wasn't bad either. The biggest complaint I had with it was the instanced world. Even though the game wasn't billed as a classical MMO at the time, only being able to interact with people in the home city was kinda lame. However I did still buy two of the expansions, but since the focus of the game seemed to primarily be PvP, it didn't really hold my interest for very long.

All of this seems to be what they are focusing on fixing in GW2... a non-instanced world with dungeons, and a PvE experience as developed as GW1's PvP was. Hopefully they deliver... but in the meantime, I'll be playing SW:TOR.

News Comments > Tribes: Ascend Beta Patched
13. Re: Tribes: Ascend Beta Patched Dec 9, 2011, 15:40 eunichron

space captain wrote on Dec 9, 2011, 15:31:
eunichron wrote on Dec 9, 2011, 15:08:
The engine itself is technically good,

in what way? that blanket generalization is meaningless

Re: but the models, animations, and textures are all decent.

It looks as good as most other games coming out recently, but it is missing a lot of amenities, like foliage, weather effects, etc.

News Comments > Tribes: Ascend Beta Patched
11. Re: Tribes: Ascend Beta Patched Dec 9, 2011, 15:08 eunichron

The engine itself is technically good, but the environments need a little work. Right now they're just a little bland, but the models, animations, and textures are all decent.

As for the game itself it's fun as hell, definitely worthy of the "Tribes" title. Hell, it's free, there's no reason not to try it.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Blu-ray Disc Sales up 35% in 2011 Dec 8, 2011, 19:01 eunichron

jdreyer wrote on Dec 8, 2011, 14:04:
I think this is due mostly to the prices finally becoming reasonable, both for players and the discs. I never (well, almost never) pay more than $10 a disc and have seen more deals this year than ever before.

I AM a bit surprised though that streaming hasn't prevented BRDs from taking off. I guess streaming is still too immature. Any predictions on when BRD sales will begin to have negative growth?

My guess is blu-ray will be profitable until internet service and the streaming mediums are universally available and affordable. Other than game consoles, and a small niche of internet televisions, the delivery medium just isn't there. Devices like the Roku might push for general acceptance (my parents just bought one, it's really a nice little device; it was only $60 [as opposed to a $300 console] and supports hundreds of webTV channels and streaming services like Netflix and Hulu), but high-speed, stable, internet service capable of high definition streaming is still foreign to a majority of the US.

News Comments > No Battlefield 3 VOIP Changes Today
26. Re: No Battlefield 3 VOIP Changes Today Dec 6, 2011, 14:41 eunichron

While VOIP would be nice, given the ubiquity of communication programs like Ventrilo, Skype, Teamspeak, and Mumble I don't think it is really needed. Usually with VOIP games I spend the first few minutes of a game muting the 12 year olds and annoying players anyway.

Most server leasers include a Ventrilo or Teamspeak server in with the cost of the server anyway, if players are that adamant about communication they can always join it.

News Comments > A Game of Thrones RPG = 30 Hours
23. Re: A Game of Thrones RPG = 30 Hours Dec 5, 2011, 15:06 eunichron

Umbragen wrote on Dec 5, 2011, 13:57:
Techie714 wrote on Dec 5, 2011, 10:59:
I would like to read this series but man those books are HUGE.

Yeah, they're huge - because Martin spends pages and pages telling you over and over again about what people ate, how they ate it and what they ate it off. He's easily one of the most tedious writers to ever make a fortune. Do yourself a favor and just stick to the TV show.

You've obviously never read Russian literature. Martin, by comparison, is fairly pithy in his scene descriptions.

News Comments > Game Reviews
6. Re: Game Reviews Dec 5, 2011, 15:01 eunichron

Jim Sterling from Escapist had a pertinent rant video a few weeks ago on this subject. Though, in his video he's ranting about readers complaining about game reviewers handing out 8/10's, as if that was a bad thing.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/4966-Hate-Out-Of-Ten

He brings up a very good point though, that is the scale becomes meaningless when 8-10/10 becomes "normal." In reality, an 8-10/10 should mean an outstanding, GOTY worthy, game. A 5-7/10 should just be average to above average, i.e. a game worth playing.

But now with 8/10s and 80/100s becoming the undeserved norm, the scales have lost their meaning. I, for one, would support a move for reviewers to get rid of the scoring scales completely and focus on discussing the strong points and weak points of a game, rather than give a PR marketing article and slap a ridiculous number on it at the end.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Peripherals; Trailer; Music
3. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Peripherals; Trailer; Music Dec 2, 2011, 22:19 eunichron

Cutter wrote on Dec 2, 2011, 20:50:
$250 keyboard? $140 mouse? $130 headset? $50 dollar mouse pad? $60 client? $15 per month? Getting scammed by Lucas/EA/Bioware/Razer? Priceless...for them.

ROFLMAO. A sucker really is born every minute.

How many GW2 themed peripherals are you going to be buying?

News Comments > New ATI Catalyst Performance Drivers
7. Re: New ATI Catalyst Performance Drivers Dec 1, 2011, 17:46 eunichron

LittleMe wrote on Dec 1, 2011, 17:11:
Bludd wrote on Dec 1, 2011, 17:07:
I'd rather have higher quality drivers than many updates in a short amount of time.

The new game releases are forcing them to. The quality is fine.

Then there seems to be a disconnect in GPU design and game coding then, because it is pretty ridiculous that new drivers are required for individual game releases. It calls into question why there are even standardized APIs if none of them work on the hardware that supposedly meets, and supports, those standards.

At least from a consumer standpoint, the last round of GPUs I decided to go with ATI. My first foray out of Nvidia hardware since I replaced my Voodoo3 with a GeForce2, and I can say with certainty that with the next generation I'll be going back to Nvidia.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Dec 1, 2011, 14:54 eunichron

Since I've spent the last few years working on various projects that haven't been completed for one reason or another, and I haven't tried to be part of the "indie scene", I've missed out on the indies are cool wave.
There you have it. If you want to be a part of a community you should probably take the steps necessary to actually participate in that community. In this case, that includes making, and finishing, games, and actually being a part of the "scene". If no one knows who you are, or what you've done, why the fuck would they want to listen to you?

News Comments > WoW Hour of Twilight Patch Live
3. Re: WoW Hour of Twilight Patch Live Nov 30, 2011, 00:04 eunichron

My 10m guild had Dragon Soul (normal, obviously) cleared in about 3 hours. Oh well, SW:TOR early access in 16 days.  

News Comments > Kotick on SWOTR Economics
22. Re: Kotick on SWOTR Economics Nov 29, 2011, 16:48 eunichron

Flatline wrote on Nov 29, 2011, 16:46:
eunichron wrote on Nov 29, 2011, 16:41:
Flatline wrote on Nov 29, 2011, 15:08:
Also, I might catch flak, but more than once I found myself saying "wow... that's a little... sexist..." with the story. Two or three major NPCs and a minor one basically have harems and kept women and shit. One, maybe even two would have been unremarkable, but when you have the major enemy being a sleazy "lady's man", the first major NPC ally having a kept woman, a quest goal minor NPC having refugee women that he's basically keeping captive as a harem, and a second major NPC ally having literally a harem of admirers (all of these in the first 10 hours mind you), my creepy meter started going off. Then it just felt juvenile.

Man up, Nancy.

You're like three hours late. You're fired.

I tried.

News Comments > Kotick on SWOTR Economics
19. Re: Kotick on SWOTR Economics Nov 29, 2011, 16:41 eunichron

Flatline wrote on Nov 29, 2011, 15:08:
Also, I might catch flak, but more than once I found myself saying "wow... that's a little... sexist..." with the story. Two or three major NPCs and a minor one basically have harems and kept women and shit. One, maybe even two would have been unremarkable, but when you have the major enemy being a sleazy "lady's man", the first major NPC ally having a kept woman, a quest goal minor NPC having refugee women that he's basically keeping captive as a harem, and a second major NPC ally having literally a harem of admirers (all of these in the first 10 hours mind you), my creepy meter started going off. Then it just felt juvenile.

Man up, Nancy.

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Nov 27, 2011, 16:05 eunichron

I'm wondering why he is even using UbiSoft as a benchmark. UbiSoft has been a thorn in the side of PC gaming for years now, with a hate-hate relationship. I say good riddance to them.

Now, if a developer like Blizzard (despite their new shitty form of DRM, they are mostly a PC-exclusive developer) or DICE starts following the same motions as UbiSoft, that will be the death of PC gaming.

On a side note, if some of the rumors about Microsoft's future developments are true, that is allowing future versions of Windows (possibly Windows 8) to run Xbox games, that could have the effect of unifying the PC and console communities. Developers could take advantage of the capabilities of PCs, rather than developing for the lowest common denominator. Of course that is just wishful thinking.

This comment was edited on Nov 27, 2011, 16:14.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Jedi Consular Trailer
1. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Jedi Consular Trailer Nov 25, 2011, 17:11 eunichron

Was all excited to see that I got a beta, but it was only for the stress test this weekend, starting Saturday at 10AM... thanks BioWare. Blank  

News Comments > No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier
72. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 24, 2011, 23:03 eunichron

A friend of mine gifted me Might and Magic Heroes VI a couple months ago.

I never installed it.

That is what I think of UbiSoft.

[EDIT]
Rather, I should say that the reason I haven't installed it is not because I do not want to play the game, I do, very much, but I refuse to install it because of their shitty and intrusive DRM.

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 2011, 23:14.

News Comments > On Sale
20. Re: On Sale Nov 24, 2011, 16:57 eunichron

Grabbed the Mount & Blade Complete pack, Sengoku, Orcs Must Die!, and the Fallout: NV DLCs today. I need to quit now before I ruin my checkbook.  

News Comments > Arkham City DirectX 11 Issue
8. Re: Arkham City DirectX 11 Issue Nov 24, 2011, 00:06 eunichron

Good thing I'm too occupied with other games right now and have yet to install it. Gives me enough time to focus on these other games until they release a patch fix.  

News Comments > South Korea's Gaming Curfew
9. Re: South Korea's Gaming Curfew Nov 23, 2011, 17:56 eunichron

Cutter wrote on Nov 23, 2011, 14:29:
necrosis wrote on Nov 23, 2011, 14:22:
"Internet Addiction"? There is such a thing?

Its just a form of entertainment. I don't watch TV for shit because I am always on my computer. Because... I don't know... it is also what pays the bills as I work in the IT field.

Also would they rather have the kids joining gang's and doing other more violent things? Because that is basically what they would do.

Nice rationalization there. And wth are you talking about? I don't know if you know this, but in the before time, in the long, long ago before the internet, computer games, etc., kids used to have other games to play - usually much healthier games at that, and the vast majority of them never got into gangs or doing violent things.

That is because back before there were gangs the kids were too busy losing their limbs in industrial machinery accidents.

1789 Comments. 90 pages. Viewing page 29.
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo