Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for eunichron

Real Name eunichron   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eunichron
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2002, 16:54
Total Comments 1789 (Pro)
User ID 13977

User comment history
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

News Comments > The Old Republic Update Next Week
3. Re: The Old Republic Update Next Week Jan 13, 2012, 00:01 eunichron

LazyCat wrote on Jan 12, 2012, 23:45:
Wow, zombies already? *mumbles something about game jumping the shark with first update*

Well, if you've played the game and have done the quests on Taris, you'd know that they're not actually zombies, but bio-engineered mutants powered by a Sith infused virus.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2012, 14:50 eunichron

Oh Suzy Q
Oh Suzy Q
Oh Suzy Q Baby I love you
Suzy Q

News Comments > Diablo III in February?
39. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 8, 2012, 18:29 eunichron

Muscular Beaver wrote on Jan 8, 2012, 17:55:
eunichron wrote on Jan 8, 2012, 17:19:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Jan 8, 2012, 16:48:
Dirwulf wrote on Jan 8, 2012, 16:43:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jan 8, 2012, 15:47:
Krovven wrote on Jan 8, 2012, 14:56:
While I agree completely, I hate p2p downloaders, and that it's default is on, but they are hardly being "sneaky".

WoW and SC2 are the same way, which means 10's of millions of people are fully aware of how the Blizzard uses a p2p downloader that is defaulted to on. It's only sharing while you are downloading.
If they weren't being sneaky they would provide an option during the install to enable or disable it. Even when installers try to change your default search engine - which is a sleazy business tactic - they provide a tick-box in the installer, which most people simply overlook anyway. Blizzard doesn't ask for permission to use your bandwidth, it just does it by default. It would be like buying a car and then they put a billboard up on your lawn because somewhere in the smallprint it said so - heck, even in that situation you'd know it was happening; the Blizzard downloader hides that it's uploading.

They are exploiting YOUR resources for THEIR commercial gain.

Every Blizzard downloader has had the ability to disable peer to peer downloading in the options. Whoever said it still uses peer to peer even when you uncheck the box is smoking crack. And not every installer has a checkbox to not install a stealth bar of some type. Starcraft did not have an open beta, and it sold just fine with a constant connection. Blizzard is as far from Ubi as you can get. They aren't using always on only as a form of DRM. They are using it for many different reasons.

I guess you never disabled that check, else you would still be downloading WoW patches from 2007.

I disable it every time and still get 1MB/s+ downloads with no upload. At least for me their HTTP direct download is usually faster than their P2P download.

I actually believe that, if your MB/s would be Mb/s.

Actually I do mean MB/s. My download speeds from most download services (Steam, Origin, Blizzard downloader) is generally 1-1.5 MB/s. Maybe you should get a better ISP.

News Comments > Diablo III in February?
32. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 8, 2012, 17:19 eunichron

Muscular Beaver wrote on Jan 8, 2012, 16:48:
Dirwulf wrote on Jan 8, 2012, 16:43:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jan 8, 2012, 15:47:
Krovven wrote on Jan 8, 2012, 14:56:
While I agree completely, I hate p2p downloaders, and that it's default is on, but they are hardly being "sneaky".

WoW and SC2 are the same way, which means 10's of millions of people are fully aware of how the Blizzard uses a p2p downloader that is defaulted to on. It's only sharing while you are downloading.
If they weren't being sneaky they would provide an option during the install to enable or disable it. Even when installers try to change your default search engine - which is a sleazy business tactic - they provide a tick-box in the installer, which most people simply overlook anyway. Blizzard doesn't ask for permission to use your bandwidth, it just does it by default. It would be like buying a car and then they put a billboard up on your lawn because somewhere in the smallprint it said so - heck, even in that situation you'd know it was happening; the Blizzard downloader hides that it's uploading.

They are exploiting YOUR resources for THEIR commercial gain.

Every Blizzard downloader has had the ability to disable peer to peer downloading in the options. Whoever said it still uses peer to peer even when you uncheck the box is smoking crack. And not every installer has a checkbox to not install a stealth bar of some type. Starcraft did not have an open beta, and it sold just fine with a constant connection. Blizzard is as far from Ubi as you can get. They aren't using always on only as a form of DRM. They are using it for many different reasons.

I guess you never disabled that check, else you would still be downloading WoW patches from 2007.

I disable it every time and still get 1MB/s+ downloads with no upload. At least for me their HTTP direct download is usually faster than their P2P download.

News Comments > SWTOR Beta Patch, More on Ability Delay Patching
2. Re: SWTOR Beta Patch, More on Ability Delay Patching Jan 7, 2012, 17:25 eunichron

mlw wrote on Jan 7, 2012, 17:08:
I have been playing since early start and have many days of played time. I have not noticed any 'responsiveness' problem at all.

It seems to affect some classes more than others. It is a huge problem on my Juggernaut where some instant abilities don't activate immediately, or sometimes not at all creating a "blank" GCD (which they supposedly fixed in one of the recent minor patches). I haven't noticed it much on my Mercenary whose abilities are mostly channeled or have cast times.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
6. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 6, 2012, 22:31 eunichron

Cutter wrote on Jan 6, 2012, 21:19:
Hopefully these will be the last consoles. Let's face it no one really wants or needs these one-trick ponies anymore. Not unless they add keyboard and mouse support - which is pretty much a requirement now with social media, texting, etc. - and in which case why not just use a PC where you can do all those things and more?

This doesn't make any sense, how are they "one-trick ponies"? Consoles do a hell of a lot more than just play games anymore, and as my friends get older and play games less and less, they have begun to use their consoles for more media streaming than gaming (Netflix, Hulu, home network streaming). I think this next generation will be moving away from social networking and more toward content streaming of games, movies, and music, and home media networking, which their current UIs handle just fine without a mouse/kb.

News Comments > AMD Catalyst Preview Driver
1. Re: AMD Catalyst Preview Driver Jan 5, 2012, 15:09 eunichron

Queue "Danger Zone".  

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Bans Follow-up
62. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Bans Follow-up Jan 3, 2012, 19:16 eunichron

I haven't experienced any game-breaking bugs with the game that some of you in the thread are. I have been doing some hard mode flashpoints and there are a lot of issues with bugged/overtuned bosses and loot chests. I think it is fairly obvious that they rushed the game out, and they didn't have very many regular testers on the beta (only 1 server with a low population). But the game is still fun and I am enjoying it. I only hope that they are quick on the bug fixes and content.  

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed Jan 2, 2012, 16:05 eunichron

Anyone who didn't immediately recognize this from the beginning as a clever marketing ploy deserves their post-sale self-loathing.  

News Comments > The Old Republic Bans?
37. Re: The Old Republic Bans? Jan 1, 2012, 23:02 eunichron

Jerykk wrote on Jan 1, 2012, 22:03:
Same goes for the swearing in general chat. Dropping F bombs; at least in front of women and children is still illegal in this state, a short ban is nothing to scream at Bioware about; Blizzard does the same thing after all.

Isn't that what language filters are for? Unlike real-life, you can filter out swearing in text chat. No need to ban anyone.

I actually got into an argument about this with a WoW GM a few years ago when I had gotten a 24 hour ban for using profanity in trade chat. I appealed the ban and the GM basically told me that the profanity filter doesn't matter, they still don't condone profanity in public channels.

As for "flipping" ... that is pretty much all the 50s do at Ilum anyway. You do get pvp rewards for participating in Ilum, but with the majority of the population still not 50, there isn't much to do there other than trade bases with the opposing faction to complete your daily quest.

News Comments > The Year in Lists
1. Re: The Year in Lists Jan 1, 2012, 17:08 eunichron

I'm a bit sad to see that DX:HR seems to have been totally forgotten. It's not my personal GOTY pick, but it definitely deserves to be in the top 5. I guess most haven't picked it because of the lackluster boss fights, but I think the rest of the game overshadows the shallow nature of the bosses.  

News Comments > The Old Republic Stats
22. Re: The Old Republic Stats Dec 27, 2011, 14:42 eunichron

Riker wrote on Dec 27, 2011, 13:22:
So, those who have played, is it as much of a WoW clone as it has looked to be from the start?

Really the only things that it has in common with WoW are standard MMO mechanics that all MMOs would be expected to have. That is to say that the game has just as much in common with Rift as it does WoW.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Launches
71. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Launches Dec 20, 2011, 21:17 eunichron

Dades wrote on Dec 20, 2011, 20:24:
The real question, that no one has an answer for, is how the endgame content's going to play out. Let's be honest - the leveling experience has been great thusfar, and I'm enjoying it, but the endgame content is where MMO players spend the majority of their time. And no one will really know what any of that's like for at least 3-6 months

Did you mean 3-6 days or weeks? People will hit cap long before 3 months rolls around and the end game content will be revealed to the casuals who are still midway through.

There are already at least 10 level 50s on my server (Anchorhead), and most of the people in my guild are late-20s to mid-30s. From the looks of it it seems as though they're following a model similar to Rift and WoW with multiple difficulties of PvE. Two raids at launch with 6 or 7 bosses total, which is more than what WoW had at launch. I think there is plenty there to hold people over until the first content patch... but it does remain to be seen what the content is as far as difficulty and ease of entrance into the endgame.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Launches
29. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Launches Dec 20, 2011, 14:04 eunichron

Yewkon wrote on Dec 20, 2011, 13:52:
Graham wrote on Dec 20, 2011, 13:42:
So you're kiting the boss while your pocket healer is keeping you alive?

Sounds like a valid MMO mechanic to me. I seem to recall Grobbulus has a similar mechanic: run backwards in a circle until he's dead (he can't poison bomb the tank, so the mechanics are identical...).

Essentially: STOP WHINING.

Not really a pocket healer as it was the NPC companion that heals you every now and then. I only got the big robot boss stuck on the boxes. I think the others I had to run around in a circle while shooting them. I supposed you can consider it a valid tactic, if the Grobbulus person you're talking about was supposed to be solo-able. I don't think these Flashpoints are supposed to be solo-able.

You do realize that the companions are almost as good as a player character, right?

So you were actively trying to exploit the easiest, introductory, instance in the game, and succeeded, and it is somehow BioWare's fault that you were able to bug out the AI, and the rest of the game is crap because of it? I think you left your helmet on the short bus.

News Comments > On SWTOR Queues
41. Re: On SWTOR Queues Dec 19, 2011, 14:12 eunichron

Server queues? Welcome to every MMO launch ever. This is no surprise at all.

I'm a level 32 Sith Juggernaut now, and enjoying the game immensely. The story just keeps getting better, and the flashpoints are a lot of fun. Have yet to try warzones, but being on a PvP server I've already encountered some world PvP, and that was fun as well.

Of course, I think, the biggest problem the game will have is longevity vs. WoW. The leveling process is great, but it is going by quickly. They're going to need a plan to keep people hooked at max level if they want to compete against the WoW juggernaut that has 7 years worth of content. Though I've already seen conversations just in general chat of people that have chosen SW:TOR over Mists of Pandaria, so combined with GW2 I think this might be the deathknell for WoW.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2011, 22:58 eunichron

It was Clinton and a Republican Senate that signed the repeal of Glass-Steagall. Not the root of all current evils, but it definitely got the ball rolling. The assfucking of our nation is a bipartisan effort, as shown by the recent, nearly unanimous, passing of the National Defense Authorization bill in the House and Senate, and now Obama has decided that he won't veto it.

As for the bailouts: http://projects.propublica.org/bailout/main/summary
I guess $351 billion out of $594 billion is technically "most" since it is more than 50% of what was given. Of course this assumes that more bailouts aren't coming in the future.

I know Cutter doesn't even live in the States so ultimately his opinion doesn't matter, but he was partly right in one thing; our current system is corrupt and it needs to be fixed. As long as we continue to play the blame game, instead of focusing on fixing a bought out and corrupt system, they're free to extort us and rape our liberties as they please.

This comment was edited on Dec 15, 2011, 23:19.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2011, 12:25 eunichron

Cutter wrote on Dec 15, 2011, 10:43:
So, I haven't been keeping abreast of this of late. Are they bringing everyone home or leaving 50k soldiers there as originally intended? I seem to recall not that long ago that Iraq said they wanted everyone out, kit and kaboodle, and that staying there would only further exacerbate the instability in the Middle-East atm. At this point it's looking pretty grim for any form of organic democracy and it all seems to be headed to a hard-right theocracy in the entire region.

It is a full withdraw with only a very small contingent to stay behind at the US embassy (about 150-200 troops).

I spent from August 2005 to August 2006 in Iraq, and my unit lost 4 great guys, one of whom was a personal friend of mine. I was disappointed to see it drag on for so long after we left, and I am glad to see it finally ending. Despite where your politics on the war might land, we did do a lot of good over there, and I hope that the current internal issues can be worked out.

Now that Osama is dead maybe we can work on getting out of Afghanistan as well.

News Comments > The Old Republic Early Access Begins
31. Re: The Old Republic Early Access Begins Dec 13, 2011, 15:52 eunichron

Out of curiosity, those of you that did get in today, when did you redeem your pre-order code? From the official forums it seems to be all over the place, with no rhyme nor reason as to who has gotten in, but it is also difficult to filter the trolls from those that are being honest.

It would have been nice if they came out and said, "If you pre-ordered between X and Y date you get to start on Z date."

News Comments > Half-Life 3 ARG?
47. Re: Half-Life 3 ARG? Dec 13, 2011, 00:25 eunichron

Tanto Edge wrote on Dec 12, 2011, 18:17:
I remember when episodic gameplay was all the rage...
Now it just causes rage.

I really think it's because of the success of DLC (whether you like it or not, DLC is successful), since episodic content and DLC are basically the same idea, just on different scales. Now instead of releasing the core game and taking 2 years to release the next episode at the price of an xpac, devs can release the core game and release several DLC packs, amounting to about the same amount of content of one episode, over the course of 2 years for about the same cost.

I'm actually surprised Valve didn't decide to split up Ep3 into DLC packs rather than just ax it all together.

News Comments > Skyrim is Spike's 2011 GotY
18. Re: Skyrim is Spike's 2011 GotY Dec 11, 2011, 21:09 eunichron

Even though they got GOTY right, some of the other nominations are just topical. Every category was pretty much dominated by Skyrim, Uncharted 3, Arkham City, and Gears 3, with Portal 2 being the only game not released in the last 3 months. DX:HR got one nomination, when at least in my opinion is still more deserving of GOTY than Portal 2, and BF3 only 2 (which somehow Rage got a nomination for best graphics over BF3).

Also no RTS category? I know RTS has kind of been underrepresented lately, but there were some releases this year deserving of some recognition.

1789 Comments. 90 pages. Viewing page 28.
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo