Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for eunichron

Real Name eunichron   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eunichron
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2002, 16:54
Total Comments 1789 (Pro)
User ID 13977

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2012, 17:39 eunichron

Cutter wrote on Mar 4, 2012, 17:12:
Prez wrote on Mar 4, 2012, 16:14:
That "Game of Thrones" trailer looks damn cool. I've been resisting downloading a "Game of Thrones Season 1" torrent since I'd rather pay for it, but if it doesn't get on somewhere like Amazon or Netflix soon...

Seeing as it was televised it's not like you're stealing it. You definitely have to watch it. The casting is virtually perfect. I love Peter Dinklage as Tyrion!

The casting is spot on, probably the best cast HBO has done since The Wire. I was really hoping to see Eva Green as Melisandre, but the woman they picked did pretty well in Black Death.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2012, 16:57 eunichron

Prez wrote on Mar 4, 2012, 16:14:
That "Game of Thrones" trailer looks damn cool. I've been resisting downloading a "Game of Thrones Season 1" torrent since I'd rather pay for it, but if it doesn't get on somewhere like Amazon or Netflix soon...

I don't normally openly condone piracy, but do yourself a favor and do it already, you're really missing out.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
1. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 4, 2012, 16:18 eunichron

Anyone bite on Wargame: European Escalation? Videos look good, but I'm not sure if I want to drop 40 bones on it at the moment. Looks like it might be a good replacement for World in Conflict.  

News Comments > Steam Hardware Plans?
94. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 4, 2012, 04:51 eunichron

Jivaro wrote on Mar 4, 2012, 03:59:
Are you crazy? Where did that make any sense? Are people going to start playing PC games on the couch with keyboard and mouse? Yeah? Really?
Of course not. This is not a question of "done right". It's a question of no matter how they do it, it will still end up being just another console. Which means that it might be the last "salvo" in the battle to render the PC completely irrelevant.

I think the point is that there is no point to it. If it isn't a proprietary system then it is entirely redundant, and it negates the biggest advantage that PC gaming has over consoles; the ability to upgrade our hardware whenever we want, however we want. Without that, with the proposed standardized specs, 5 years from now we're stuck in the same stagnation as we are now; PC titles held back because of standardized hardware and inferior interface devices. As PC gamers I'm willing to bet most of us here have rigs that are as powerful, if not more-so, than the proposed Steambox specs. Valve isn't going to win anyone over with this, console players are going to stick to their Playstation and Xbox, and PC gamers are going to stay with their current machines. If its main advantage is digital delivery, well if the rumors of Xbox 720 and PS4 are true, they're going to have fairly robust digital delivery systems in place anyway (Xbox Live and PSN already have pretty decent digital delivery systems in place, including, as you mentioned, Netflix and Hulu, plus extras).

Shit, I'd also venture to guess that most of us here own multiple platforms. I myself have a desktop (that although is aging, can still run every modern title at a satisfactory level), a laptop and smartphone that are capable mobile platforms, an Xbox 360, and a PS3. There is no way that I would consider getting rid of my desktop if I am forced to sacrifice the ability the change the hardware and software as I see fit.

82. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 4, 2012, 00:21 eunichron

Scheherazade wrote on Mar 4, 2012, 00:11:
eunichron wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 23:49:

[...]

Also, EA may ban people (for 72 hours) for acting like jackasses, but Valve only bans you for being generous: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/02/01/thought-do-we-own-our-steam-games/

That's not even an example...

1) The guy bought a metric crap ton of stuff all at once on steam.

2) Steam thought the account had been hacked, and suspended it.

3) The account holder verified to valve that the purchases were legitimate, and that it was not a hack.

4) The account was restored.

How is that any different than when my credit card company locks my card after I spend a crap ton of money all at once?

-scheherazade

They locked his account, refused to tell him why, and they wouldn't even engage in dialogue until he hounded them about it every day for a week... at which point they then restored his account, minus his ability to trade and gift. I don't know if you've ever dealt with your credit card company about fraud, but I have, and they are usually very cordial and open about the whole process... and they don't give me my card back with only limited access.

News Comments > Hardcore Tactical Shooter Kickstart
20. Re: Hardcore Tactical Shooter Kickstart Mar 4, 2012, 00:14 eunichron

Jerykk wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 23:39:
True, but the fact remains that when it comes to tactical shooters, he's only professionally worked on an expansion pack (the console version, no less) for one game. Here's a list of games he could have worked on but didn't:

R6
R6: Rogue Spear
R6: Raven Shield
R6: Athena Sword
Ghost Recon
Ghost Recon: Desert Siege
SWAT 3
SWAT 4
SWAT 4: The Stetchkov Syndicate
Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis
Operation Flashpoint: Resistance
Operation Flashpoint: Red Hammer
ArmA
ArmA: Queen's Gambit
ArmA 2
ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead

If he had worked on at least 4 of those games, people would be more confident in his ability to create a good tactical shooter.

Yeah, I looked up his portfolio and saw GR: Island Thunder and got a little excited, then I saw it was the console port and my hope dwindled again.

It would be great to see a return to the old style GR/R6 games. ArmA is "ok," but their engine is shit (although it does look good), and the interface is terrible and convoluted.

79. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 23:49 eunichron

Prez wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 21:57:
Ha, nice try, but no. It isn't bravado to point out it's easy to talk shit when there's no risk for doing so. Or hoping that somehow you eventually get the ass-kicking you need.

If it's any consolation I am just as much of an ass in real life as I am on the internet, and yet no one has kicked my ass.

Dev wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 22:11:
2) No, more like I'm referring to those class action lawsuits from EA employees vs EA. Those ones that cost EA over $30 million. I have no idea what letter you are talking about.
You realize that was back in 2004, right? EA has since gotten a new CEO, and word is (even from the employees involved in the lawsuit) that things have improved immensely. Their game support may suck, but those aren't usually games I play anyway. What's more, most of the claims of permanent bans (especially the ones surrounding DA2, SW:TOR) are hoaxes.

Also, EA may ban people (for 72 hours) for acting like jackasses, but Valve only bans you for being generous: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/02/01/thought-do-we-own-our-steam-games/

64. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 20:25 eunichron

Prez wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 19:12:
eunichron wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 16:43:

So tell me, how does Gabe's cock taste? How are you able to find it under all those rolls of fat?

This is why I hate anonymity on the internet. If running your mouth so obnoxiously ran the risk of getting your teeth mashed in, people wouldn't be such goddammed douches all the time.

Ah, yes, internet bravado. It's almost as bad a phenomenon as internet anonymity.

46. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 16:56 eunichron

Dades wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 16:49:
They both are companies that want to make money but how they go about doing it is what matters.

Valve makes their money riding the coattails of talented indie developers and modders. How is that different at all from what MS and EA do?

42. removed Mar 3, 2012, 16:41 eunichron

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 4, 2012, 09:20.

News Comments > Crusader Kings II Postmortem; DLC Plans
2. Re: Crusader Kings II Postmortem; DLC Plans Mar 3, 2012, 16:09 eunichron

shinchan0s wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 13:10:
I really wish they would make vassals defend themselves against peasant rebellions and balance out the traits (possibly throw in a concept like MTW's "dread"). That's all the game really needs at this point.

Yes, but, historically speaking, as liege it's your job to protect them, otherwise there wouldn't be any sense in becoming a vassal. Without that aspect of the relationship the entire feudal "system" falls apart.

I wish that for some of the kings the ambitions didn't peter out. I started a game as Duke Magnus, died some decades later, took over as King Harald, and the only two ambitions I had available were to amass wealth and kill my wife. Then again, that's probably pretty on par with what a 63 year old Norse king would want to do.

Oh, and for some reason it keeps telling me that Duke Olaf's levies have been raised too long, even though I don't have any levies raised.

This comment was edited on Mar 3, 2012, 16:20.

35. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 15:59 eunichron

Dev wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 15:47:
You are confusing valve with MS/EA/actiblizz/sony.

And how exactly is Valve different than MS/EA/Actiblizz/Sony?

Oh, right, they aren't.

Actually, Valve has better PR. That's about the only difference I can see.

26. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 14:54 eunichron

So Valve wants to build a Steam branded console that is really just a micro-PC with standard PC hardware that runs Windows with a Steam overlay.

What exactly is the point again? If I wanted to game on a big screen I can just plug my tower into it. If I wanted to use a controller to play PC games I can just plug my USB 360 controller into my PC.

This whole idea seems entirely pointless and unnecessary.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: windows 8 Mar 2, 2012, 22:23 eunichron

nin wrote on Mar 2, 2012, 22:18:
In Win8 it's their metro ui or nothing apparently.

There's got to be a way. Maybe they just disabled it in this build, to keep people's attention on Metro.

Having said that, I'm firmly in the "Who gives a fuck about 8?" camp.

There was a registry hack that completely disabled Metro and brought back the Win7 Start menu in the previous developer preview, but the particular registry setting is completely missing in this version.

That being said, without Metro, Win8 is really just Win7 SP2. If it turns out that there is no SKU that allows you to disable Metro, I'll be keeping my Win7 disk around for a long time. If they in some way end up sabotaging 7 to force people into 8 and Metro, fuck it, I'll finally switch to Apple.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 2, 2012, 21:29 eunichron

I installed the Win8 preview on one of my laptops... overall, as a desktop OS, it was absolutely terrible. Completely unintuitive, any advanced settings, of which there are few, are hidden deep behind Metro's tiles and walls. The new software "apps" (the replacements for WMP) have few, if any, options (I was not able to add music/movies from my NAS to the library).

Now, without Metro, in the regular desktop setting, it wasn't that bad. I like that they've gone back to squared edges, rather than making everything rounded and "Web 2.0"-ish. The new Task Manager is frankly AWESOME, there is much more information displayed, and its new layout makes it quite a bit easier to read and interpret. Other than Metro it's basically the same as Win7. After a day I haven't had any crashes or any compatibility issues (the one issue I did have was with my NAS, I could map it was a network drive using my NAS's administrator password rather than the user account that I had setup).

As of now I would say it's a great OS for tablets and smartphones; pretty much anything that doesn't need a desktop environment and has a touchscreen. As a desktop OS, the absolute only way I'd consider upgrading is if they offer an SKU with the ability to disable Metro and use the classic Start menu.

News Comments > id on DOOM 4 Images
66. Re: id on DOOM 4 Images Mar 2, 2012, 18:57 eunichron

I said it with Doom 3, Quake IV, and Rage... id is no longer relevant. They no longer make games. They make glorified tech demos, and considering which engines are being licensed regularly these days, id's engines are no longer relevant either.

John, do yourself a favor and dissolve id so that you can work on your rockets full time.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 2, 2012, 15:57 eunichron

Cutter wrote on Mar 2, 2012, 15:37:
They're rewarded for this detrimental behaviour which is both wrong and dangerous. Hell, how you think these boom, bust, echo cycles and bailouts keep occuring?
That I will agree with. They're rewarded by outlandish salaries and bonuses, and government sponsored corporate welfare that keeps them and their companies afloat. I've never disagreed that the system is broken and needs an overhaul, but I do disagree with the article's suggestive claim that CEOs are psychopaths and thus have a negative impact on their companies. I think that is a bit of a stretch.

Also, didn't see this posted here, but the latest version of Doom, The Roguelike has been released, it finally has graphics! http://doom.chaosforge.org/

11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 2, 2012, 14:47 eunichron

Cutter wrote on Mar 2, 2012, 14:03:
One out of every 10 Wall Street employees is likely a clinical psychopath

"Some psychologists have long claimed that the qualities that make for a high-achieving politician or stockbroker are also the same traits that psychopaths have in abundance.

Other researchers generalize it to bosses as a species, saying that about 4 percent of all executives are psychopaths -- and that their relative lack of scruples is what helps them excel in business."

Not news, but always good to see numbers updated. Question is, should these psychopaths be permitted to hold the positions they do? At the very least they should be outed so people can make a more informed choice.

Oh boy, there are so many things wrong with the language in that article.

So, according to census, there are 328,200 CEOs in the US. 4% of that, 13,128. So, 13,128 people might have the some of the same traits that psychopaths. Of course, the two traits listed are "competitiveness" and "attraction to risk."

Include a list of the negative traits of a clinical psychopath, never actually attribute them factually to the traits of a stockbroker or CEO, and top it off with a picture of Patrick Bateman (everyone's favorite Huey Lewis And The News serial killer). Sensationalist/suggestive journalism at it's finest.

So, the only "truth" in that article is that there are 13,128 businessmen out there who became successful because they are competitive and are willing to take risks.

News Comments > Baldurs [sic] Gate Teaser Trailer
6. Re: Baldur's [sic] Gate Teaser Trailer Mar 1, 2012, 02:36 eunichron

Clearly this is a metaphorical reference to the death of Baldr (his "gate," i.e. passing through to the afterlife), signifying the beginning of Ragnarok.

Sorry folks, nothing to see here but the beginning of the end.

Or maybe they were totally off and it was supposed to be Baldrs Gait? In that case it's not the end of the world, just a nice strole through the mountains.

News Comments > Blizzard Cuts ~600 Staff
38. Re: Blizzard Cuts ~600 Staff Feb 29, 2012, 20:31 eunichron

OH NOES liberals
OH NOES conservatives

That's the problem with US politics, we like to assign everyone to one neat little group so that we can easily define, categorize, and then demonize them because they're. *gasp*, different.

1789 Comments. 90 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo