Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for eunichron

Real Name eunichron   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eunichron
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2002, 16:54
Total Comments 1789 (Pro)
User ID 13977

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > No PvP in Diablo III Launch
1. Re: No PvP in Diablo III Launch Mar 9, 2012, 20:31 eunichron

It will be available via the exclusive $20 Diablo 3 Arena DLC...

Although I typically never PvP'd in Diablo or Diablo 2, I'm getting pretty close to canceling this preorder.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Gameplay Trailer
1. Re: MechWarrior Online Gameplay Trailer Mar 9, 2012, 20:26 eunichron

I am... impressed. Looks less twitchy than all recent Mechwarrior games and Hawken.  

News Comments > Tribes: Ascend Next Month
43. Re: Tribes: Ascend Next Month Mar 9, 2012, 20:20 eunichron

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 19:52:
Is there some trick to earning EXP faster? I'm only getting about 600-900 per match.

Your first win of the day will give you 1200 xp at the end of the match. Other than that the only ways to increase xp gain is by getting VIP status, which is a flat 50% xp increase across the board (currently all you have to do is spend any amount of money at the store and you instantly get VIP status), or buying boosts.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
30. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 9, 2012, 18:14 eunichron

entr0py wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 16:59:
Cutter wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 13:27:
I call bullshit. We all know MS and the publishers would love to do this but society at large - around the world - is nowhere close to ready for this yet. In fact it's a safe bet that the majority of Xbox owners/players neither want or could go this route for many reasons. I'm sure Sony wishes they'd be that dumb however.

Exactly right. In fact Sony has already tried this with the PSP Go, which was a miserable failure.

My guess is that it will be a multi-model launch, like the 360s (a "base" model and a "pro" model), with one of them being driveless and digital download focused. They've all but confirmed officially that they're seeking 100% compatibility with the 360s back catalog, that means a drive is a necessity, whether it's built in or sold as an external accessory.

News Comments > Tribes: Ascend Next Month
28. Re: Tribes: Ascend Next Month Mar 9, 2012, 16:24 eunichron

Shataan wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 16:15:
"N00b. You never skied. "

Aaaah, I chose not to use the skiing exploit. Doesn`t make me a nOOb. And if I played this new Tribes, I doubt I`d use skiing.... cause I still consider it an exploit. But say what ya like.... ya will anyways. ;p

Exploit? Everyone that played Tribes knew it was just an unintended feature.

News Comments > Fraud Claim Dropped in Infinity Ward Lawsuit
1. Re: Fraud Claim Dropped in Infinity Ward Lawsuit Mar 9, 2012, 15:40 eunichron

So which trail are they going to?  

News Comments > World of Warcraft Cataclysm Postmortem
15. Re: World of Warcraft Cataclysm Postmortem Mar 8, 2012, 16:55 eunichron

From a hardcore raiders perspective the game is just stagnant. I played the game since 1.0 (and beta), and Cataclysm was just a huge dump of unoriginal and boring raid content. Firelands and Dragon Soul were too short, too little, too late. The best tier in Cataclysm was the first tier of heroic raids, and it still doesn't hold a candle to the likes of Sunwell, Black Temple, Serpentshrine Cavern, Ulduar, and Blackwing Lair in terms of environment and encounter design. It's pretty obvious that WoW is on the back burner. My guild killed heroic Deathwing a few weeks ago, and I was done there. Canceled my account and have no intention of going back, and I know several others from my guild have done, or are doing, the same.  

News Comments > Valve Worth $3B?
25. Re: Valve Worth $3B? Mar 7, 2012, 23:56 eunichron

killer_roach wrote on Mar 7, 2012, 23:37:
eunichron wrote on Mar 7, 2012, 22:35:
But why would Valve even bother buying out EA? Valve is already one of the best publishers, and practically has the DD market cornered with Steam. They have no reason to want to buy out anyone else.

Simply put, Valve lacks development capacity. If they want to make games, they'll either need to go on a hiring binge or acquire somebody.

Unless, of course, they're content to simply be a middleman, in which case they can get by just fine with their current head count.

That's pretty much what they're doing already with CS, TF, DOTA, DoD, L4D and Portal, and it seems to be working just fine for them. I stopped thinking of Valve as a developer a couple years ago, it's probably best to just consider them strictly as a digital publisher from now on.

Which makes me think, how many of the original HL devs are even left? Is the entirety of Valve's development sector made up of bought out indie developers and modders?

News Comments > Valve Worth $3B?
17. Re: Valve Worth $3B? Mar 7, 2012, 22:35 eunichron

killer_roach wrote on Mar 7, 2012, 22:32:
reisub wrote on Mar 7, 2012, 21:30:
nin wrote on Mar 7, 2012, 21:23:
And we'll still take them over EA.
Maybe they'll take EA over.

EA is currently worth about $5.5 billion. Considering the typical premium related to a hostile takeover, it'd take about $8-9 billion to acquire them.

If Valve were to go public, they could likely acquire that much in cash to buy EA (the $3 billion valuation, IMO, is very, very conservative - considering some rumors of Valve's profits it could be a $20 billion company). That being said, EA stock has been floundering (down about 15% in the past twelve months, down about 40% from the 52-week high)... what it may take to buy them right now might not be what it'll take a year from now.

But why would Valve even bother buying out EA? Valve is already one of the best publishers, and practically has the DD market cornered with Steam. They have no reason to want to buy out anyone else.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2012, 19:06 eunichron

Cutter wrote on Mar 7, 2012, 15:09:
What a lurvley spring day tease out there. A whopping 15 degrees atm!

Weather reports are saying we're full on into spring here now. It's supposed to stay in the 50s-60s for the next week... but that's still almost double what the temp was just 2 days ago.

News Comments > Three Battlefield 3 Expansions Announced
42. Re: Three Battlefield 3 Expansions Announced Mar 7, 2012, 17:50 eunichron

Dev wrote on Mar 7, 2012, 17:45:
eunichron wrote on Mar 7, 2012, 17:42:
but there isn't much DICE can do to stop cheaters/hackers. Just don't play on any servers that don't use GCC or PBB, otherwise the onus is on the server admins to police their servers.
Sure they can, they can ban them. In fact, if you can get banned from your entire EA account from a forum post, why can't they do something similar for that? At the very least, perma ban them from the game so they have to go buy another copy and start over again.

Cheaters/hackers are definitely being banned, DICE just doesn't announce it every time a wave happens.

Also I'm not sure how much control EA has over Battlelog and the stat database, I'm pretty sure that's almost entirely DICE's deal.

News Comments > Three Battlefield 3 Expansions Announced
40. Re: Three Battlefield 3 Expansions Announced Mar 7, 2012, 17:42 eunichron

Panickd wrote on Mar 7, 2012, 16:55:
DangerDog wrote on Mar 7, 2012, 15:56:
venomhed wrote on Mar 7, 2012, 15:06:
Whatever happened to the patch that was going to address the cheaters? That has seemed to have been shut up real quick.

the patch would only directly address the mav "exploit" of being able to use it as an elevator to high up places that you can't get to otherwise, on most maps.

no patch will address cheaters, they've implemented a "report" system on battlelog (tiny little exclamation icon on player profiles) but I bet it doesn't even send a notice to anyone, probably sends the "report" right into the recycle bin.

I've reported cheaters in BF3 before and not a one has been banned yet. Most end up having stats reset but they live to cheat another day.

I struggle to think of a single game I have been more disappointed in than BF3. Bugs and cheaters galore and before they've even really made a stab at fixing any of it they announce expansions. Way to grab for that brass ring EA/DICE!

Well, there's a difference between exploiters, cheaters/hackers, and stat padders. Resetting stats is a fine way to deal with stat padders and exploiters, but there isn't much DICE can do to stop cheaters/hackers. Just don't play on any servers that don't use GCC or PBB, otherwise the onus is on the server admins to police their servers.

43. Re: DARPA cheetah Mar 7, 2012, 01:16 eunichron

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 23:25:
cappy wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 22:34:
Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 18:24:
I just realized that I am well below the national TV watching average. about 6 hours a week, or less than an hour a day. The average is 28 hours a week. (Not that I'm less prone to sitting around, I just play video games or the drums instead.)

I definitely beat the average.

I don't watch six hours of television in a year. Probably less than four hours total a year.
Oh yeah? Well I don't even own a TV. So there! Smug

Gotta say some of the best years of my life were 3 years when I didn't own a TV or phone. You can learn a lot when you're not distracted.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2012, 15:16 eunichron

mch wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 15:06:
eunichron wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 14:53:
  • Game of Thrones; the sooner season 2 (book 2) starts the sooner they get to season 3 (book 3)!

• ...And the sooner we get to the end of book 5 and sit around waiting for 6-7 years for the next installment

Since no one else has mentioned it in this list of worthwhile TV shows...Breaking Bad.

Oh yes, forgot about Breaking Bad, the show that forever ruined Malcolm in the Middle for me.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2012, 14:53 eunichron

Ratty wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 12:29:
    Thank god Terra Nova's gone. Flat hokey characters, flat hokey dialog. Maybe Fox will have enough money now to keep Fringe going.

Indeed. Terra Nova had an amazing premise, along the lines of Stargate, but the writing, acting, and subplots were just unbearably awful. No love lost for that cancellation.

Pretty much the only things I've been watching are

• Dexter; kind of disappointed with the last season, but it's really hard to top seasons 2 and 4

• Game of Thrones; the sooner season 2 (book 2) starts the sooner they get to season 3 (book 3)!

• The Walking Dead; becoming disappointed with this one too, they're spending too much time on that god damn farm, get to the prison already

• House of Lies; Don Cheadle's new show on Showtime, definitely check it out if you haven't
  •  

News Comments > Assassin's Creed III Announced
    8. Re: Assassin's Creed III Announced Mar 6, 2012, 00:10 eunichron

I lost interest in AC when my 360 disc was defective and all channels refused to replace it for me. I was only ever able to get about 1/3 through the game.

I'm sure I could buy it on the cheap now, but I'd still have to play through it and AC2.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Leaked
    76. Re: Mass Effect 3 Leaked Mar 5, 2012, 17:40 eunichron

Lorcin wrote on Mar 5, 2012, 17:27:
    eunichron wrote on Mar 5, 2012, 17:13:
    Eh? Bitgamer is one of the largest private trackers that only serves video games. If you look at TPB and Demonoid the numbers are similar.

Not heard of bitgamer - but just by comparison numbers on blackcats show snatched for:

PC 725
    360 1256
    PS3 56

M$ are really starting to have a problem with their DRM I guess

So I guess the only thing we can learn from any of it is if you don't want your game pirated, make it PS3 exclusive.

70. Re: Mass Effect 3 Leaked Mar 5, 2012, 17:13 eunichron

ASeven wrote on Mar 5, 2012, 16:53:
    Ugh, one of the worse fallacies thrown around when discussing piracy, the torrent numbers. Those numbers are only using one tracker, take into no account private trackers and the lion's share of console piracy, black market sales on the street. If you ever go to some Asian countries you'll find dozens of people selling the latest pirated console games on the street for less than a dollar. And this is only the tip of the iceberg.

Many in the industry use those numbers as proof, unfortunately they only prove that at that specific tracker PC piracy is higher and that specific tracker doesn't even count to 5% of all world gaming piracy.

Eh? Bitgamer is one of the largest private trackers that only serves video games. If you look at TPB and Demonoid the numbers are similar.

And yes, I've been to a middle eastern country where you can buy pirated console games for $1 a disc at a kiosk on the street, but I'm pretty sure the industry has given up trying to control the overseas black market.

54. Re: Mass Effect 3 Leaked Mar 5, 2012, 15:34 eunichron

Beelzebud wrote on Mar 5, 2012, 12:22:
    Every single high profile game released in the past two years has been leaked and playable on the Xbox360 for at least a week before street date. Every. Single. One.

Yet PC gamers still take all the blame for piracy.

Because it's easier to pirate on a PC than it is on a console. On a PC all you have to do is download the game, copy the crack, and boom you're up and running. A console most often requires some kind of hardware or software modification to the system itself to allow it to play copied games. This entails either installing a mod chip, or flashing the firmware of the device... both of which aren't easy and can easily brick your $400 console beyond recovery.

Not that I'm trying to defend asshole companies like UbiSoft that try to blame PC piracy for all of their woes, but I can look at my BitGamer account right now and tell you that the number of seeders and leechers for the PC version easily outnumbers the number of seeders and leechers for the 360 and PS3 versions combined by at least twofold. In fact, here's a screenshot for you: http://i.imgur.com/qyI2a.jpg

News Comments > Steam Hardware Plans?
    104. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 4, 2012, 17:58 eunichron

Dev wrote on Mar 4, 2012, 16:16:
    Depends. They have a unique opportunity to win some players into PC gaming in the time before the next gen consoles come out. If valve considers why people choose consoles over PC's, and tries to address the reasons, they have a shot at getting some into PC. For instance, ease of use. Valve could make the steam interface easier to use for consolers. Many are interested in flashy things rather than substantial things, especially how good a game looks, and the PC looks far better than a console. Another would be cost, many consolers have the impression a gaming PC costs $1000+. It doesn't, one can get one for $500 or less. It still may not be as cheap as a PS3, but its not terribly far away from the $300 or so it sells at now (and as I recall, didn't the PS3 come out at more than $500?). If they make the PC smallish and able to get sound and video through HDMI, and target consolers, than many people could use their TV monitor instead od thinking they need to buy a new PC monitor. Plus it would reduce cost of the system. And valve needs to emphasize that games tend to be less expensive on PC and they have great sales.

There's other things valve could do too. Its not perfect, and I doubt it will convince a huge number of consolers, but I think it could easily convince some.

Indeed, as I see it, one of the primary advantages of a console vs. PC is the cost. The PS3 debuted at $499 and $599 for 20GB and 60GB models, which is half the reason it took so long catch up the 360 which launched at $299 and $399. In fact the only reason I bought a PS3 was because I bought a refurb off of Craigslist for $200 just to use as a blu-ray player (at the time dedicated players were much more expensive). I have bought two 360s, I traded my first one that I got at launch for an Elite with HDMI a couple years ago, but together both consoles were cheaper than what I've put into my PC, and what I plan to put into my PC this summer.

With those proposed specs I doubt they could build a capable rig for less than $400, and highly doubt they could sell it for less than $500. The next generation of consoles is going to catch up in terms of graphics (at least DX11.1 standard) anyway. The rumor claims that it is going to use mobile graphics, I think the biggest move Valve could make is use an MXM based GPU (if I recall there is an MXM GTX 580m board), allowing users to buy cheap upgrades through Steam so that their system can stay current to PC specs.

1789 Comments. 90 pages. Viewing page 22.
    < Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo