Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for eunichron

Real Name eunichron   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eunichron
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2002, 16:54
Total Comments 1789 (Pro)
User ID 13977

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Beta Mac Client
31. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Mac Client Sep 18, 2012, 16:32 eunichron

Well, that's pretty neat but it's still just a 3rd party wrapper, which means likely performance and compatibility issues. I don't really game on my MBP, but I'll give this a shot just to see how it goes and contribute to the beta. Though, hopefully this is only the first step, just to get something out there, while they work on a native OS X client.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Launch Trailer
13. Re: Borderlands 2 Launch Trailer Sep 17, 2012, 13:00 eunichron

If you haven't bought it yet it's 20% off at GMG right now, and you can use the voucher code on the front page for an extra 20% off, $38.40 total price.  

News Comments > Black Mesa Released
48. Re: Black Mesa Released Sep 14, 2012, 16:27 eunichron

siapnar wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 16:15:
Nostalgia overload in t-minus an hour and a bit

eunichron wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 15:36:
Yeah, I bought a new router last week and my dumb ass forgot to set up port forwarding. Soon as I remembered that the torrent speed increased dramatically.

After extensive testing, I found that port forwarding doesn't do much for my speeds in utorrent.

It depends on your setup, but usually it can prevent peers from being able to connect to you. If the seeds are good and you can connect to them it doesn't matter as much though.

With all these loading screens, they really did do a good job of recreating the original HL experience.

42. Re: Black Mesa Released Sep 14, 2012, 15:36 eunichron

gsilver wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 15:27:
eunichron wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 13:30:
That torrent is linked directly from the Black Mesa site, it's legit. Currently really slow though, need more peers!
Seeding at ~475kB/s...

Yeah, I bought a new router last week and my dumb ass forgot to set up port forwarding. Soon as I remembered that the torrent speed increased dramatically.

15. Re: Black Mesa Released Sep 14, 2012, 13:30 eunichron

Lorcin wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 12:50:
Torrent file - seems valid, setup has correct logos etc but use at your own risk:

http://www.mediafire.com/?khmzyygg4vetko0

That torrent is linked directly from the Black Mesa site, it's legit. Currently really slow though, need more peers!

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Cheat Reporting Improved
13. Re: Battlefield 3 Cheat Reporting Improved Sep 12, 2012, 23:00 eunichron

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 21:39:
Dev wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 20:32:
So previously they never bothered to check them?

Why should we believe them now?

None of these companies care about cheating - and since they now control the servers and we rent them, we have zero control. If they cared, there would be a HELL of a lot more articles about it.

As it stands, they just want your money, then they turn and burn another game in 12-16 months.

Wait, what? Have you even played BF3? Server admins still have a great amount of control. I admin'd a BF3 server at launch, only stopped because the guy that was paying for it stopped paying for it. There's still PBBans and GGC-Stream. Admins can still kick and ban people via console commands, and there are admin tools that allow for player voting for kicks and bans. Leased servers have changed nothing. The only problem is apathetic server admins that don't care to be proactive and get the tools they need to administer their servers properly, which is easily fixed by finding a handful of servers that are well administered and sticking to those servers.

On the flipside, if cheating in BF3 was really as rampant as people claim it to be, there would be a hell of a lot more articles about cheating in BF3.

News Comments > Path of Exile Free Weekend
32. Re: Path of Exile Free Weekend Sep 12, 2012, 17:00 eunichron

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 00:48:
Methinks many people fail to understand the point of a closed beta. Baffling. Huh

Nice canned response.

I know full well the point of a closed beta, as I have been a part of many in the past, and am currently participating in several, including PoE. Generally one can be pretty sure that by the time a game enters beta the core game mechanics are locked in with little chance of changing. The problem I have with PoE, as well as TL, is that the "new" features they have added are nothing but fluff. I do like PoE's passive "skill" web, I do like their ability gem system, and I like what they're doing with their economy. However, on that note, I thought the abilities were trite and uninteresting, which makes the combat boring and shallow. These are core game mechanics that Grinding Gear has decided they want their game to be centered on, they will not change, and in that regard I can be reasonably certain that the game will be just as boring an uninteresting post-launch as it is right now. That's perfectly fine, Grinding Gear decided they wanted to make a Diablo 2 clone, and that's what they did. More power to them. I also sincerely hope they are successful as a new developer. I just don't care to be a part of it.

News Comments > Steam Beta Allows Custom Installation Locations
4. Re: Steam Beta Allows Custom Installation Locations Sep 12, 2012, 12:24 eunichron

FINALLY.  

News Comments > Path of Exile Free Weekend
24. Re: Path of Exile Free Weekend Sep 11, 2012, 22:51 eunichron

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 22:18:
WyldKat wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 17:43:
PoE bored the crap out of me after awhile. All the classes played more or less the same. The animations were bad, especially kill/death animations (no physics, just the same canned death anims). The trading system, while I thought I liked it at first, quickly became frustrating. The story was forgettable too but mostly it was the combat that turned me off. Genderlocked characters were another turn off, along with bad (i.e. no) customization. No different hairs, armor dyes, nothing.

Let me guess. You are an under 30 gamer.

I'm a 30 year old gamer and I think the game is boring as shit.

I don't want Diablo 2.5, I had enough of Diablo 10 years ago. I want something new. Diablo 3 wasn't it either, it was a good effort, it just missed the mark (by a wide margin). At this point my only hope for ARPGs is Grim Dawn. At least those guys have Titan Quest under their belt, which is easily the best post-Diablo 2 ARPG.

News Comments > StarCraft II: Heart of the Storm Units Video
5. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Storm Units Video Sep 8, 2012, 18:28 eunichron

Bhruic wrote on Sep 8, 2012, 17:35:
Flatline wrote on Sep 8, 2012, 16:57:
So I stand corrected. Heart of the Swarm introduces 2.5 new units for 2 sides (mines that don't look particularly effective and a proto-mothership with a few abiliites being the halves), and 2 units for the zerg. Wooo.

Actually, the mines can be quite effective when used properly. And the mothership core gives the Protoss access to some abilities very early on they wouldn't otherwise get until late game.

But the time delay wasn't over adding units, so much as it was over the campaign. Making a good campaign (and the video that goes with it) takes a lot longer than throwing together some units - even if the units need to be balanced exceptionally well (as SC2 is a popular eSport game, hence balance being critical).

Indeed, if the Zerg campaign is half as good as the Terran campaign was I'll be buying it, as long as they're not charging $60 for it.

News Comments > End of Nations Beta Event
2. Re: End of Nations Beta Event Sep 7, 2012, 20:49 eunichron

I've been in the beta for the last few months and the best I can give it is a solid "meh".  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
6. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 6, 2012, 16:32 eunichron

Sounds like a half-asses Bitcoin scam. "Donate $1m equivalent Bitcoins to this account to show them, or $1m equivalent Bitcoins to this account to keep them hidden." ... someone's getting fucked over this, but it ain't Romney.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 6, 2012, 16:24 eunichron

Every time I see an article complaining about ads on the internet I wonder how these bloggers have never heard of Adblock or editing the hosts file. I haven't seen an ad on the internet in ~8 years. What, are they still using IE6?

At least, not on websites that I don't care about supporting. I show (most) of Blue's ads.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 29, 2012, 17:15 eunichron

Creston wrote on Aug 29, 2012, 16:44:
I love how everyone who is positive about Windows 8 basically says "With some work, you can make it almost like Windows 7!"

I already HAVE Windows 7. Why would I spend 40 bucks and extra effort to then wind up with something approximating Windows 7?

Windows 8 is going to be Microsoft's biggest flop yet.

Creston

I don't think the issue is as much for savvy users like most of us on this site, but in OEM vendors where Win8 will be forced on purchasers of new laptops and desktops. I know I would just format it and install Win7, but the large majority of the market is not so inclined.

News Comments > World of Warcraft Patched
7. Re: World of Warcraft Patched Aug 29, 2012, 00:06 eunichron

nin wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 21:54:
It really REALLY depends on who you talk to. Some wax nostalgic about how vanilla was so much better, how change is bad, et cetera...

Very true words. I came back after a year and a half, and I'm looking forward to the changes and the expansion, as it seems to be more of a shift back to the casual side. And seeing as how I'm not going back to raiding 9+ hours a week, I welcome that. But there's a lot of vocal folks that lament any changes that make the game easier in any way.

It almost seems like Blizzard alternates with expansions, with ones geared towards the hardcore (BC, and to a lesser extent Cata) and ones that encourage more fun and playing with friends over hardcore raiding (LK and now Pandaland).

I'll also say the same thing I said a few weeks ago: The people that have played this game for years and years straight and grumble about the state of things are burnt out. They don't know it (or they're in denial), but they are. I've been in that position, and I've seen a lot of friends go through the same thing. Coming back after a year and a half gone feels like a breath of fresh air.

I was one of those people until I jumped on a 1.11 private server and realized that vanilla really wasn't the best. It was great fun, and I have a ton of fond memories from the game in that era, but it was rough around the edges and needed a lot of refinement. To that regard, TBC was the pinnacle of the game in my opinion. The raid/dungeon design of that era was amazing, and the lore behind them was well done and well presented.

Though I also don't get how people say that Cataclysm was a "hardcore" expansion. As a (former) hardcore raider I thought it was just as easy and dumbed down as WotLK was. It wasn't just tuned for casuals, it was tuned for "bads". It was entirely too forgiving of mistakes, and we saw the introduction of LFR. While LFR gave "casual" players (I say "casual" because many of them I ran into played the game more than I did as a hardcore raider) a chance to see the raids, it was a massive joke. I tried it on a few alts and half the raid was AFK, it required no thought, it was literally push a button to receive gear. The sad part is is that the normal mode raids weren't that much more difficult, and yet for whatever reason people flocked to and praised LFR because raiding was "hardcore" and thus a waste of time (because hey, people that spend 6 hours a day trolling /trade have lives to attend to). On that note the hard mode were just more of the same, just MOAR DAMAGE, MOAR HEALING, nothing really new or interesting about them.

In any case, I canceled my account the day they announced Pandas. I quit the game early this year after my guild finished hard modes. The dungeons and raids have become progressively uninteresting and boring. The lore is a joke, the classes have become so homogenized that no class has any distinguishing qualities other than being DPS, healer, or tank, and they've rehashed content to the point that it almost is like playing vanilla again. I uninstalled it back in February and haven't looked back.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Launches
68. Re: Guild Wars 2 Launches Aug 28, 2012, 17:11 eunichron

Cutter wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 16:53:
I can't believe there's no direct trade with players atm! That boggles the effing mind!

I got into an argument with someone on Reddit about this. They claim it's because Anet wants to cut down on WTB/WTS spam in general chat channels, and force people to use the Trading Post (when it's up...).

Fact of the matter is players will use whatever means gives sellers the most profit, and buyers the best deal. If that means spamming /map with WTB/WTS and risking a trade through in-game mail, then that's what players are going to do.

To that regard they should just put it in so that the risk of scams are reduced.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Launches
64. Re: Guild Wars 2 Launches Aug 28, 2012, 15:51 eunichron

Darks wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 13:14:
Ozmodan wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 12:54:
Someone maxed a crafter already. Give me a break, this is just another copy cat MMO with very little substance behind it. No challenge, strictly fun.

I will have to disagree with that, I have been trying to get my weapon smiting up and Iím finding it a bit tedious. Itís been tough getting the materials needed to get your leveling up. So I canít agree that itís a cookie cutter in anyway. I found WOWs crafting much better and simpler to level versus GW 2 system. Their system is requiring a lot more materials to make items. And some of the materials required are a bit hard to find. Vilas of Blood being one of them.

So, if someone maxed their crafting out already, then I have no idea how they did it so quickly. itís not been something I found very easily done so far.

Saw your other posts Darks and not sure if you knew this, but you can salvage items and get crafting mats from them. I don't sell anything I pick up, I salvage it all. Doing that in addition to gathering everything I find in the world I've had no trouble having enough mats for crafting.

Also keep in mind that because of the level scaling you still get full xp if you go to a lower level area. It might behoove you to go to another race's starting area just for material collection, and just do the events along the way for xp.

Lastly, secondary mats like Vials of Blood come from specific monsters... the Bloods usually come from beasts, Dusts from elementals, etc.

This comment was edited on Aug 28, 2012, 15:57.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Trailer
5. Re: MechWarrior Online Trailer Aug 27, 2012, 22:19 eunichron

It didn't look like a "trailer" trailer to me, more like something they would play at a conference with a developer or level designer talking over the video to explain what their design process was... take it that way and it's slightly less annoying.

Other than that, looks pretty awesome. Haven't bought in to the founder's program yet, but I'm thinking I might before it ends.

The one thing the trailer left me thinking is that this game is in dire need of destructible environments. Nothing would be more awesome than seeing that city left in ruins at the end of a match.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Head Start Begins
35. Re: Guild Wars 2 Head Start Begins Aug 26, 2012, 00:39 eunichron

I'm now in new territory I hadn't seen in beta, and the game is every bit as awesome as was expected. I only hope level 80 is as awesome as the leveling experience.  

News Comments > Torchlight II Release Date Announcement Next Week
33. Re: Torchlight II Release Date Announcement Next Week Aug 26, 2012, 00:19 eunichron

Icewind wrote on Aug 25, 2012, 23:25:
Diablo 3 is such a disaster and so traitorous to its first two games that it can't even compete with a half-assed unmodded clone like out-of-the-box TL1.

This line of thinking makes no sense to me. Why would you want just another Diablo 2 clone? Didn't you get enough of Diablo 2 when it was Diablo 2 and not something else?

Just look at GW2 for instance, people are loving it, it's getting rave reviews all over the place. I'm loving it. Yet it is absolutely nothing like GW1, but you don't see anyone complaining that it's not GW1, or that it's "traitorous". That's just fucking ridiculous to think that every sequel should be exactly the same as its predecessor.

On that note, TL1 bored the shit out of me, as did the TL2 beta, and I seriously question some of their design decisions. I can see why people would enjoy it, but it's still just a half-assed clone like TL1 was.

1789 Comments. 90 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo