Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for eunichron

Real Name eunichron   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eunichron
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2002, 16:54
Total Comments 1789 (Pro)
User ID 13977

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III Open Beta Weekend
91. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 20, 2012, 21:50 eunichron

loomy wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 20:20:
the game design is obviously simplified for console (and maybe wow?) players. it is simplified pretty well, but still. please nobody degrade yourselves arguing against this galactic truth.

I have to ask this seriously though, have you even played Diablo 1 or 2, or any other ARPG? Complaining about Diablo being simplified is like complaining that rocks are dense. In the history of computer gaming there hasn't ever been a game series more simplified than Diablo.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

56. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 20, 2012, 15:27 eunichron

bhcompy wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 15:23:
Still at work.. I've heard the GUI is greatly consolized. Input?

If Diablo 3 has a consolized UI then so did Diablo 1, Diablo 2, Titan Quest, Torchlight... you get where I'm going with this.

Beta is working fine for me, but I've also been a regular tester for the last several months. The stress test servers must be different from the regular beta servers because I'm still connected and playing my Demon Hunter with 0 issues.

This comment was edited on Apr 20, 2012, 15:54.

39. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 20, 2012, 14:10 eunichron

Krovven wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 13:39:
eunichron wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 13:24:
Tumbler wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 13:22:
listen & read all quest and flavour text

Everything isn't voiced? Can you go into more detail on what you have to read? I despise that fluff text that they throw up on simple quests as if we're here to read a novel.

So many MMO's do this and I don't get it. Keep it short and sweet. 3-4 lines to explain what is needed and voice the rest.

All quest text is voiced, including side quests. Townsperson babble is not, however.

Also wrong. Random NPCs have things to say (that IS voice acted), and what they say changes as you progress through the game. They just don't always have a skippable text window come up.

Quests and major characters have both voice and text. Some are from characters that have a list of topics to talk to them about. You won't see this unless you try talking to them beyond the Main Storyline stuff. This is the same as previous games. Sometimes they will have Blue Stars above their heads indicating they want to talk to you further about a sub plot.

There are lots of Journals and Notes hidden around that greatly increases the depth of the world. Their exact location is random to a certain area. They can sometimes be tricky to spot, but once you know the areas to check... These are also voiced/text and can be played back from your Journal.

But the speed racers wouldn't have a clue about most of this.

Thanks for saying exactly what I said, in too many words. Chiggidity check yo'self before you wreck yo'self.

31. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 20, 2012, 13:24 eunichron

Tumbler wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 13:22:
listen & read all quest and flavour text

Everything isn't voiced? Can you go into more detail on what you have to read? I despise that fluff text that they throw up on simple quests as if we're here to read a novel.

So many MMO's do this and I don't get it. Keep it short and sweet. 3-4 lines to explain what is needed and voice the rest.

All quest text is voiced, including side quests. Townsperson babble is not, however.

News Comments > Sledgehammer COO: CoD "Transcends Entertainment"
12. Re: Sledgehammer COO: CoD "Transcends Entertainment" Apr 19, 2012, 15:52 eunichron

I never understood how CoD became popular. The first CoD was a blatant ripoff of just about every modern WW2 movie (Saving Private Ryan, Enemy At The Gates), and the only two with decent multiplayer were Black Ops and World At War. I'd have no qualms if the series died.  

News Comments > Crusader Kings II Patch
7. Re: Crusader Kings II Patch Apr 19, 2012, 01:36 eunichron

Wolfox wrote on Apr 19, 2012, 00:47:
Quboid wrote on Apr 18, 2012, 21:01:
I assassinated my 6 year old son because he was an imbecile. I'm not proud, but I don't regret my actions. I still don't know why it had about a 35% success rate, how hard could it be?

You know the saying... "the apple does not fall far from the tree"

For some reason my wife, the queen of Norway, wants to kill all of our nieces, even the newborns. Not even nieces and nephews, just the nieces.

News Comments > TERA Open Beta Weekend
4. Re: TERA Open Beta Weekend Apr 18, 2012, 22:50 eunichron

Paranoid Jack wrote on Apr 18, 2012, 22:43:
Did they change the date? I thought it was suppose to kick off this Friday.

They never announced a date until today, that it was going to start this weekend was just another internet rumor.

News Comments > TERA Open Beta Weekend
2. Re: TERA Open Beta Weekend Apr 18, 2012, 22:32 eunichron

GW2s is next week, starting the 27th, and of course I'm going to be out of town all next weekend, so I'll only get a few hours to play Sunday night.  

News Comments > Diablo III Beta Open to All Battle.net Accounts?
33. Re: Diablo III Beta Open to All Battle.net Accounts? Apr 18, 2012, 14:03 eunichron

I wouldn't say Path of Exile felt amateurish to me, the developers definitely know what they're doing... they're just not doing anything to progress gameplay. As Drezden said, it's like they took Diablo 2, tacked on a few of their own enhancements, and said, "Good enough." Of course during the open beta all anyone talked about in the global chat was how much Diablo 3 sucked because it wasn't "Diablo," but I got enough of "Diablo" back in the 90s. Hell, I almost failed high school because of Diablo 2 and LoD. There comes a time when the genre has to progress, and Diablo 3 is the culmination of 10 years of progress, Path of Exile is just stuck in the 90s.  

News Comments > Diablo III Beta Ending; Monk Trailer
23. Re: Diablo III Beta Ending; Monk Trailer Apr 18, 2012, 01:10 eunichron

Creston wrote on Apr 18, 2012, 01:01:
Does anyone have any experience with D3's online requirement causing lag? I'm curious about that part of it, whether the stupid thing lags in SP because of their servers being overloaded.

Yes. It was a problem during some periods of the beta, but usually only immediately following patches, or when they began stress testing. Generally once the kinks of a major patch or stress test got worked out I never had any major issues with lag. My ping usually fluctuated between 80-150 during peak hours, and the latency wasn't noticeable.

I think most of the assets are local, but when there was bad latency there would be rubber banding of your character and the monsters, so I imagine along with the DRM of it there is probably some server checks going on to prevent things like speed and maphacks. Though, last I heard they didn't actually have any anti-cheat measures in place during the beta as there are already maphacks and other cheats available. There are also emulated servers available, and I imagine they'll be around for retail as well.

[EDIT]
Now that I actually look at videos of the emulated servers it appears that no monsters spawn and you can't access your stash. You can use your skills though, so I imagine that things like monster spawns and item stash/inventory is stores server-side.

This comment was edited on Apr 18, 2012, 01:21.

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition Released
9. Re: The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition Released Apr 16, 2012, 21:06 eunichron

dumpy wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 21:00:
Steam required Rage to patch 15 gig before I was able to play. I never used Steam very much in the past, but recently I've learned of their autopatch bs which screws my games like Skyrim and AVP2.

You can turn off autopatching for individual games by right clicking it in the library, selecting Properties, and then changing the option in the Updates tab.

You can also pause downloads manually at the downloads screen.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
5. Re: Sunday Metaverse Apr 15, 2012, 23:18 eunichron

Dev wrote on Apr 15, 2012, 20:00:
Illumin wrote on Apr 15, 2012, 18:53:
Ancient text = accounting book and info on how to grow corn.
Some of those kinda documents are far more useful in the study of how they lived, than other kinds of documents people would at first glance think are better.

For real. Most people don't realize how much we can learn from digging through 5,000 year old sales receipts.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Apr 15, 2012, 18:11 eunichron

I got a kick out of this answer,

Isn't it obvious? We'll be dirtier than anything on the Internet!

I hope he's not serious about that.

News Comments > Rune Revival?
1. Re: Rune Revival? Apr 15, 2012, 14:46 eunichron

YES
YES
YES

TIL VALHALL

News Comments > World of Warcraft Welcome Back
19. Re: My favorite part... Apr 14, 2012, 19:19 eunichron

Cutter wrote on Apr 14, 2012, 18:57:
JohnBirshire wrote on Apr 14, 2012, 18:32:
My favorite part is how everyone expects every new MMO to have everything in it to do that WoW has. Nevermind that WoW was in development for 4+ years, and has been out for 7. So any new MMO would have to be in development for 11 years to match the content. Oh, wait, no. By then WoW would have been out another 11 years and would have had another 11 years worth of content, and the new MMO would have to have all that as well.

The problem with your math is that Blizzard is probably the slowest developer out there. Most companies could bang out that same amount of content in half the time. Plus, everyone making games today has a lot more experience and knowledge and much better tools. So that's also a major advantage.

Yup, just take Trion and Rift for example. The game just passed its 1 year anniversary and already has more content than WoW did in its first 3 years until Burning Crusade was released.

Also the, "Wow has been in development for X years and so had more content," is misleading since the only content that matters in WoW, aside from leveling, is the current expansion's content. No one who is max level goes back to do old content because it's pointless and obsolete (unless they're achievement whores). On top of that Blizzard has been releasing less and less original content with each subsequent patch. They're re-using so many old art and story assets now it's a wonder they haven't just made it F2P and release some user development kits for user generated content. In fact this is the reason I canceled my account after finishing Cataclysms raids and haven't for a second thought of going back. Bring on GW2.

News Comments > Valve Confirms Hardware Plans
70. Re: Valve Confirms Hardware Plans Apr 13, 2012, 19:24 eunichron

Dev wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 19:19:
I'm not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing lol.

Might be great for them, but it's bad for us.

News Comments > Valve Confirms Hardware Plans
52. Re: Valve Confirms Hardware Plans Apr 13, 2012, 16:52 eunichron

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 16:45:
4D-Boxing wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 12:24:
Bill Gates realized 30 years ago that the money was in software and not in hardware. Valve would be better off striking a deal with Sony that would integrate steam to the PS4 and a similar deal with cable providers concerning set to boxes.

And then Apple later became the most profitable company in the entire friggin universe with a model based on hardware sales..

Apples sales are based on image, it has nothing to do with their hardware. Just look at the recent fiasco with Instagram going Android; Apple hardware owners don't care about what hardware they're buying, all they care about is that it has an Apple icon on it.

News Comments > Nekro Kickstarter
5. Re: Nekro Kickstarter Apr 13, 2012, 13:32 eunichron

Former Blizzard employees... pooping pigs...

Now we know who is responsible for all those scat quests in WoW.

News Comments > Tribes Ascend: Launches
35. Re: Tribes Ascend: Launches Apr 12, 2012, 18:39 eunichron

Krovven wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 17:31:
Pay To Win.

That word, you keep using it, but I don't think it means what you think it means.

News Comments > Tribes Ascend: Launches
2. Re: Tribes Ascend: Launches Apr 12, 2012, 15:05 eunichron

Ozmodan wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 14:59:
This is a pay-to-win game, shame they decided to go this direction.

Actually, it isn't. I've been playing since the beginning of the closed beta and I haven't spent a dime, and I do just fine.

1789 Comments. 90 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo