Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for eunichron

Real Name eunichron   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eunichron
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2002, 16:54
Total Comments 1789 (Pro)
User ID 13977

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Heroes of Newerth Patch Adds Content
7. Re: Heroes of Newerth Patch Adds Content May 12, 2012, 23:21 eunichron

eRe4s3r wrote on May 12, 2012, 22:16:
mhhhh action RTS? But isn't star craft 2 an action rts then? Think it's better to just call it a dota clone if it is one. Then everyone knows what you mean, and everyone knows what gameplay to be expect.

Not particularly since base building and economic management is still a major focus of SC2 gameplay. That's the difficult thing, it's a brand new genre, but it's similar to an RTS, but it's not quite the same as traditional RTS games.

Though I have a special contention for calling it "MOBA" ... the "multiplayer online battle arena" descriptor could be applied generically to every genre.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Heroes of Newerth Patch Adds Content
4. Re: Heroes of Newerth Patch Adds Content May 12, 2012, 21:13 eunichron

Of all the different names for the genre I think I like "Action RTS" the most as it is more indicative of what the games actually are. They are real-time strategy games with a greater emphasis on action, rather than economy and base building. It also alludes more to the origin of DOTA without outright calling the genre "DOTA".  

News Comments > etc.
12. Re: etc. May 12, 2012, 18:18 eunichron

RollinThundr wrote on May 12, 2012, 16:30:
At the expense of removing any consequence or urgency. "Oh that skill doesn't work? Just swap it out"

Swapping abilities still has a cooldown. They've tweaked it here and there (it used to be something like a minute, now it's only like 10 seconds), but you can't just hotswap abilities in the middle of combat and expect to be OK.

I actually preferred the system that they had early in the beta where you could only swap abilities at 'shrines' in town and at the beginning of each dungeon. This gave more of a sense of permanence, and required the player to plan ahead before venturing forth, while still maintaining the benefits of the 'unified' skill system. But it's still better than, "Oh, that skill doesn't work? Better delete and start over from the beginning."

News Comments > Op Ed
29. Re: Op Ed May 12, 2012, 00:57 eunichron

Jerykk wrote on May 11, 2012, 23:54:
This guy has no idea what he's talking about. Diablo 3 is going to get cracked and you'll be able to play it just fine in single-player, just like any other cracked game. While your character data will be stored online for legal copies of the game, crackers will just hack it so that that data is stored locally instead. Voila, problem solved.

The author seems to be under the misconception that the game's assets will be stored online and then somehow streamed to the player during gameplay. He also doesn't understand the difference between cloud gaming and server-side character storage.

The game's assets are stored locally, but things like creature AI, inventory, spawn locations, and dungeon randomization are stored server side. For the crackers to get a true SP game out of it they would need an emulated server (which already existed in the beta), but everything mentioned above would not work. I won't link any here, but you can easily find videos on YouTube showing off the beta server emulators... and yeah, you can play, but it's a severely gimped version of the game.

Though, modders and crackers are industrious types, I'm sure it won't take long for someone to code AI and replacement content.

News Comments > DOTA Trademark Settled
19. Re: DOTA Trademark Settled May 11, 2012, 21:28 eunichron

Paketep wrote on May 11, 2012, 20:11:
eunichron wrote on May 11, 2012, 17:29:
Actually, Blizzard only brought a suit to prevent Valve from trademarking the name so that DOTA would remain a part of the community.

Yeah, suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure, Blizzard did it for the community

/me pats eunichron in the shoulder

Knock them all you want, but Blizzard never tried to trademark Dota, all they did was try to prevent Valve from trademarking it, which would give Valve complete control over the franchise, including the original mod. Blizzard had the rights to it, or at least more of a claim to it than Valve, for 7 years, and never tried to capitalize on it; even Blizzard DOTA, or Blizzard All-stars, whatever, is being released as a free mod. Demonize them all you want for Diablo 3 and SC2, but Blizzard has always let Dota remain in the hands of the community.

News Comments > DOTA Trademark Settled
6. Re: DOTA Trademark Settled May 11, 2012, 17:29 eunichron

jacobvandy wrote on May 11, 2012, 16:54:
Blizzard was grasping at straws trying to claim ownership of the term, so this is probably a result of them getting their asses handed to them in mediation.

Actually, Blizzard only brought a suit to prevent Valve from trademarking the name so that DOTA would remain a part of the community. There was nothing in the paperwork that suggested Blizzard wanted the trademark for themselves. I know it doesn't fit into your neat little categories of Blizzard being the big evil corporate machine vs Valve the savior of PC gaming, but I'm sure the settlement required that Valve not challenge any future iterations of the original DOTA mod.

theyarecomingforyou wrote on May 11, 2012, 17:08:
I assume this means that Valve is actually going to release Dota2 now, right? I've been in the "beta" for months and it's obviously a release quality game. Is it going to have a retail release or be a digital only title?

Indeed, though there's still about 10-15 heroes that they have yet to implement. I'm sure this settlement puts it much closer to release though.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2012, 15:38 eunichron

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 11, 2012, 15:22:
Colleges no longer teach you what you need. They give you passing grades and take your money.....that is about it.

This is exactly what I've run into in my post-college job search. Employers, in all sectors, value work experience more than any education. This woman sounds like she's on the right track, but just having a Ph.D. doesn't guarantee her a tenured position at an accredited university teaching several hundred students. She should try again in a couple years once she has more teaching experience, perhaps a few published papers, and can prove that she can build and effectively administer a curriculum. I think that would be more valuable to any university than just having a piece of paper that says "Doctor of Philosophy" on it. In my own searching I've come across numerous positions from libraries and K-12 schools desperate for evening and weekend tutors, I'm sure that coupled with what she's doing already would be enough to make a decent living, as well as provide valuable work experience for her resumé. Or maybe she has already and the jobs just aren't available. The economy is doing better, and slowly recovering, but we're still not anywhere near the levels we were pre-recession.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2012, 13:06 eunichron

Cutter wrote on May 11, 2012, 12:28:
nin wrote on May 11, 2012, 10:49:
Silicon Avatar wrote on May 11, 2012, 10:46:
The comments in that "From graduate school to welfare" story are more informative than the article. You can see how people really think (IE people are hypocrites with very little compassion).

Honestly, I've stopped reading comments on most news articles these days, as it's generally just disgusting, thoughtless, rude people who I'm amazed can string a series of words together. It's like the absolute bottom rung of the internet.

I always read the comments. There are always a few good laughs in them. I agree with most of them in saying if you're going to do a degree in something non-essential you shouldn't expect to make a living with it. If you can, super, but don't expect it. And if you can't, suck it up and learn to do something else. I don't see why so many people are afraid of hard work. There's always plenty of work in the trades - in fact there's a shortage of skilled workers and it's increasing as the baby boomers retire - it pays well and you can do it anywhere. You may not get rich, but you'll never go hungry. I've known plenty of people who have opted for the trades when their degree didn't pan out and they're actually happier for it.

The impression I got from the article is that her position as an adjunct professor is the only job she has at the moment. Being an adjunct professor is just something you don't do by itself and expect to make a living, it's barely above the rank of a teacher's assistant. She has a Ph.D., and I'm not sure what the laws are in AZ, but in my state you can teach community college with only a Masters and make a half-decent salary. She's working 20 hours a week, why does she not have another job?

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Stress Test
5. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test May 10, 2012, 21:52 eunichron

nin wrote on May 10, 2012, 21:41:
Timing is less than ideal, but obviously you can't please everyone.

I'm assuming as long as we keep refreshing the beta client we have, we'll be good to go?

I assume it's so they can get an idea what a typical day of server load will look like, hence the coverage starting from just about when daily lunch breaks start to when people are getting home from work and logging in.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
2. Re: Hardware Reviews May 10, 2012, 15:02 eunichron

I'm still waiting, but the 670 is right at my price point. It still seems like the cards are limited by RAM. It looks like Nvidia has allowed manufacturers to put out custom offerings off the bat with the 670 though, so hopefully someone puts out a 3GB or 4GB card soon.  

News Comments > Diablo III Interview
35. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 13:49 eunichron

deqer wrote on May 7, 2012, 13:20:
eunichron wrote on May 7, 2012, 12:59:
Oh wait, the only differences are that one has an RMAH and always-online DRM.
So, you did NOT watch the stream. Okay.

So, you did NOT play the Diablo 3 beta. Okay.

See how that works? I can do it too.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization May 7, 2012, 13:11 eunichron

Bet wrote on May 7, 2012, 11:23:
I absolutely loathe being a Verizon subscriber

I've been with Verizon since 2003, in two different states, and honestly I couldn't be happier with them. I've never had a billing issue, service is excellent, every time I've upgraded my phone it's gone without a hitch, and they grandfathered in my unlimited 3G plan when I upgraded to a 4G phone.

Of course I haven't tried any other carrier so I can't compare, but in 9 years I haven't had a reason to change.

News Comments > Diablo III Interview
28. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 12:59 eunichron

deqer wrote on May 7, 2012, 11:57:
InBlack wrote on May 7, 2012, 10:43:
wants to keep the integral part of the Diablo 'feel'
If you want a true Diablo experience like the past, then get Torchlight II

Please do explain how one game in which you create a character and click the mouse until monsters die, then collect gold and items to make you more powerful so that you can move on to stronger monsters that require more clicks to kill is a more "true" Diablo experience than the other game in which you create a character and click the mouse until monsters die, then collect gold and items to make you more powerful so that you can move on to stronger monsters that require more clicks to kill.

Oh wait, the only differences are that one has an RMAH and always-online DRM.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
20. Re: Steam Top 10 May 6, 2012, 16:59 eunichron

deqer wrote on May 6, 2012, 16:16:
If 1) helping them out, or 2) getting TL1 for free, aren't good enough incentives for pre-ordering, then that's sad.

But I already helped them out by buying TL1 at full price, so yes, it is a pretty shitty pre-order incentive.

Dev wrote on May 6, 2012, 16:49:
I'd be down for doing a 4 way split with people here.

Shit just got awkward.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 5, 2012, 01:21 eunichron

I can honestly say that I rarely, if ever, use the DVD drive on my desktop. In fact, the last time I can remember using it was to install Windows 7. I own 300+ DVDs, and ~40 Blu-Ray movies, and I use my PS3 exclusively to watch them. I used to burn music CDs all the time, but that's moot now since I can just load up my phone. With digital installs burning data discs isn't much of an issue anymore. The only possible reason I could see for having it would be for mobile movie watching, but for long distance travel I prefer to just listen to music anyway.

It is a stupid move, but given my situation, I can understand the reasoning.

News Comments > Morning Previews
3. Re: Morning Previews May 3, 2012, 17:03 eunichron

I'm definitely interested in Endless Space, but I'm not so sure I want to pay to alpha/beta test the game. I've seen enough games change drastically from an awesome game in beta to a rather crappy game at launch.

On the other hand, those ship designs do look really fucking cool...

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
16. Re: Morning Metaverse May 2, 2012, 15:17 eunichron

eRe4s3r wrote on May 2, 2012, 13:43:
Except Netflix is US only, so all that'd do for me is change who's stuff i *have* to pirate when I want to see it (in a decent time-frame) in the original language and uncut. You wouldn't believe what a crap fest the German Games of Thrones is. Compared to the original, that is.

I always wondered, what do they do with the made up languages with subtitles? For instance, Daenerys speaking Dothraki, do they have the German voiceover actress speak her lines in Dothraki, or do they leave in her original voice?

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops II Reveal Trailer
1. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops II Reveal Trailer May 1, 2012, 21:13 eunichron

Well, didn't take them long to shut that down.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse May 1, 2012, 13:12 eunichron

I was reminded of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aclS1pGHp8o  

News Comments > Call of Black Ops II Revealed
16. Re: Call of Black Ops II Revealed May 1, 2012, 11:55 eunichron

Morgan19 wrote on May 1, 2012, 11:37:
Dunno, I won't be writing this one off so quickly. Given the futuristic BF2142-ish screens that were released today (see linky below), I'll definitely keep my eyes on it. I agree that the rapid-fire yearly CoD releases are ridiculous, but a non-WWII/non-modern change of setting may do the series some good...

Screenshots

m19

I really hate to say it, but that actually looks pretty cool. Though, I'd rather have Battlefield 2143.

1789 Comments. 90 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo