Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for eunichron

Real Name eunichron   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eunichron
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2002, 16:54
Total Comments 1789 (Pro)
User ID 13977

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
66. Re: Op Ed May 20, 2012, 13:23 eunichron

Verno wrote on May 20, 2012, 12:35:
BDiablo is all about collecting crazy items and without those I might as well be playing WoW. This is a good example of what people are talking about on the forums.

The guy makes a really good point, but the "crazy loot" doesn't really start until Inferno... and the vast majority of people aren't even on Hell difficulty yet. That is something I don't agree with as the difficulty of Inferno is flat out ridiculous, and I see most players probably finishing Nightmare and maybe Hell, but when they see Inferno they'll just retreat, which means that the vast majority of players won't even see the new loot, set items, and the best legendary items (unless they get them off the AH).

One thing he is forgetting is that there are class specific attributes that are only found on class specific items; primarily resource regeneration. So, while a Wizard can use a giant 2h sword, it will more than likely be optimal for them to use a wand and focus with boosts to arcane power. I have also noticed that crafted class specific items generally have more of a chance of getting stats beneficial to that class rather than crafting generic rare and common items.

I think one thing Blizzard went for is they just wanted to balance the economy. Rare and Uniques in Diablo 2 were ubiquitous because you could just load up on magic find and run Pindleskin for 3 hours and end up with several great rares and a few uniques. For Diablo 3 they've already confirmed that random named mobs will have a higher chance to drop rare and legendary items than bosses, and at level 60 there is the Nephalem Valor buff which increases your magic find every time you kill a boss without changing your skills (if you change your skills at any time the buff resets). So, I'd give it some more time as more people make it into higher difficulties and max level to see what happens with the item economy.

Also, I disagree about Witch Doctor, I love many of his abilities, and they also have some of the highest damage abilities (Poison Dart + Splinters rune, and Firebats + Dire Bat rune) of any class. Once they reach level 40 and get the Vision Quest passive they can spam those abilities ad nauseam without any chance running out of mana. Combine that with Soul Harvest and Spirit Walk (along with Smoke Screen, two of the best defensive abilities of any class), once they hit level 40 they are the most overpowered class in the game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend
133. Re: Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend May 19, 2012, 20:35 eunichron

ASeven wrote on May 19, 2012, 20:18:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on May 19, 2012, 19:37:
ASeven wrote on May 19, 2012, 17:12:
Dades wrote on May 19, 2012, 16:34:
All things considered, the game to me is not better than Diablo 3. It's not even better than Torchlight 1, it's just the same with a larger game area. But what do I know? I'm just a Blizzard shill who can't see how amazingly brilliant Runic is for using 16 year old game design choices. At the very least they have the decency to not charge more than $20 for it.

Anyone who disagrees with your take on the game is obviously accusing you of being a shill, that's totally the same thing Rolleyes

And most of the downsides he mentions for T2 can be easily assigned to D3 as well.
Yeah, had to remind myself he was talking about TL2 rather than D3 once I got past the Alchemist point.

To be honest, Path of Exile has the best implementation of potion using IMO. You only get 5 flasks, period, which can be used for healing or mana or special powers but you only get 5 of them. You can drink them anytime but are only replenished by killing enemies. At least this way potions are limited to 5 slots only and it adds quite an edge to the gameplay.

I know I mentioned earlier that I hated Path of Exile when I played it, but the potion system I actually really liked... I also liked that the entire economy was based on a barter system rather than gold.

Now, if only someone could make a game with Diablo's story and art style, Path of Exile's potion system and economy, and Torchlight's pets... and an abilities/skill system that is both varied and meaningful... well that would be the pinnacle of ARPGs.

News Comments > Op Ed
28. Re: Op Ed May 19, 2012, 19:50 eunichron

Cutter wrote on May 19, 2012, 18:41:
Edit: Just checked Amazon to see if they state anything about online connection required and they don't. So fair enough, maybe some people didn't know, but I still find it hard to believe it's the volume it apparently is.

I just checked my box and it says at the bottom, just above the system requirements, "INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED. PLAYER IS RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL APPLICABLE INTERNET FEES. BATTLE.NET REGISTRATION REQUIRED." And it says on page 3 of the manual, "Diablo III is a completely integrated online experience..."

So, it's not for lack of Blizzard getting the information out there, but who actually reads the system requirements and manual anyway?

130. Re: Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend May 19, 2012, 19:36 eunichron

ASeven wrote on May 19, 2012, 17:12:
Dades wrote on May 19, 2012, 16:34:
All things considered, the game to me is not better than Diablo 3. It's not even better than Torchlight 1, it's just the same with a larger game area. But what do I know? I'm just a Blizzard shill who can't see how amazingly brilliant Runic is for using 16 year old game design choices. At the very least they have the decency to not charge more than $20 for it.

Anyone who disagrees with your take on the game is obviously accusing you of being a shill, that's totally the same thing Rolleyes

And most of the downsides he mentions for T2 can be easily assigned to D3 as well.

Calling someone a Blizzard shill for liking Diablo 3 seems to be all the rage the last week. Maybe not from you two in particular, but from a certain other poster on here and from other forums it is ;).

There are things I don't like about Diablo 3 gameplay wise (my Demon Hunter is all too squishy on higher difficulties, and a couple of the abilities, active and passive, are nearly useless). Though some of the common complaints I have seen I think are unfounded, particulaly complaints of it not being 'grimdark' enough, and a supposed lack of abilities [every class has 6 categories with 3-5 skills in each category, and 6 runes for each ability plus 15-16 passive abilities... unlike what TotalHalibut claimed in his rant you do get multiple new things to play around with every level. Oh, and you can't TP during boss fights, WTF is up with that?

And secret text to avoid spoiler:
Diablo's voice acting and character design is less than stellar. It just sounds like they put Leah's voice actress through a vocoder without adding any extra effects to it. It just sounds cheeky and lame compared to the rest of the voice acting, which is superb. What's with Diablo taking on aspects of Leah? It's like they stole a page from the Alien universe [aliens taking on physical characteristics of their host], but I fully expected a nice big beefy cool looking demon, not a vaguely familiar Lord of Terror with hips and tits.

Torchlight 2... maybe it'll be worth it with the larger world and mod support. If any good mods do pop up for it I'd pick it up, but right now Diablo 3 and Grim Dawn are more my style.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2012, 19:06 eunichron

Cutter wrote on May 19, 2012, 18:32:
Thanks euni and Helf. Is it possible one of you guys can just shoot it to me through email? You can do it through my profile here.

And Helf, what's yer Steam id - mine is Cutter. Also, are you and euni in the Blues group? If not you guys should join up with that. And yeah, we'll have to see about getting a group/clan up around these parts for MW! Can't wait for that!!! Booyah!

Key sent, just let me know if you got Half Elf's first.

I thought I was in the Blue's Steam group, but it appears I am not. Time to remedy that.

14. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2012, 17:57 eunichron

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 19, 2012, 17:11:
I dont' know how to check for those codes

Guest passes are only in the boxed editions, 1 in the standard, 3 in the collector's.

8. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2012, 16:37 eunichron

Cutter wrote on May 19, 2012, 15:57:
I still haven't even seen this game live. Anyone got a spare code they won't use otherwise.

I have one guest pass left. If you message me on Steam at eunichron (or reaper96, sometimes eunichron doesn't work) I'll pass it to you.

126. Re: Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend May 19, 2012, 15:09 eunichron

Ok, I gave the beta a couple hours of play today, and I really, really, tried to get into it, but there were things that I just couldn't get over.

Things I liked;
- Stat allocations and Skill tree. Not a big issue, the game could be just fine without them, but it's cool that they're there.
- The Charge bar. Was a neat addition to give your character a little extra boost and a little extra resource management.
- Pets. Same as Torchlight, I like that they're not totally useless. This was always the best innovation by Runic.
- There's a myriad of dungeons and side quests to explore.
- The loot is neat. There's no shortage of rare loot to pick up and optimize.

Things I didn't like, or just boggled my mind;
- I'm fighting against someone named "The Alchemist" (presumably the character from TL1), why am I fighting undead and various forest creatures everywhere? Shouldn't I be fighting, y'know, things that he created, or influenced, or whatever? The setting makes no sense in regard to the story.
- The classes are generic and the skill points are shallow. The standard warrior/mage/rogue types. Nothing special, nothing new. Skill points do nothing more than give you a small damage increase per point. The abilities are likewise, generic and shallow.
- On my Embermage my staff does more damage than my primary spell, no matter how many points I dumped into the corresponding skill or into Focus. WTF?
- The art style. It's just not my cup o' tea, it's too bright and cartoony, especially when juxtaposed with the music that tries to make it sound foreboding and creepy. Speaking of music, I could have sworn I heard the Tristram theme somewhere in there. I had to tab out to make sure I didn't have Diablo 3 running in the background.
- The aforementioned dungeons and quests, which I say are a positive, are fairly linear, and the boss fights aren't all that interesting.
- More potion chugging. Ugh.

Here's hoping Grim Dawn delivers.

3. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2012, 13:16 eunichron

I've got a level 40 demon hunter about half way through Act II Nightmare... and wow, they weren't joking when they said "YOU WILL DIE" in response to people who said the beta was too easy. I think I died 3-4 times in all of normal mode, and most of that was just to new boss mechanics. In Nightmare I've died 4-5 times to just a single unique mob. You get a mob with ability combos like Jailer + Desecrator, or Fire Chains + Arcane Enchanted, and it's just instant death. I am still having a blast though.  

News Comments > Op Ed
40. Re: Op Ed May 19, 2012, 02:12 eunichron

FYI Bat, if you're a magic find whore, you can load up your companions with magic find and a portion of it counts towards your character's magic find.  

111. Re: Signed up! May 19, 2012, 01:26 eunichron

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on May 19, 2012, 01:11:
eunichron wrote on May 18, 2012, 21:51:
That is why I hated Path of Exile so much when I tried the beta. It was everything that was terrible about Diablo 2 without anything new. It was like the developers saw how "different" Diablo 3 was and decided to make a re-imagined Diablo 2, but without the good story and interesting classes, abilities, and enemies. All you're left with is a Skinner box without any veneer to hide the fact that it's a Skinner box (as Diablo [all three of them] has done).

Not that you don't have a point about the D1/2 devs not guaranteeing a good game, but Path of Exile hasn't even introduced the story elements into the game yet. They're still in closed beta and have deliberately left a lot of stuff out so as not to ruin the story for everyone. So passing judgement on that at this point is just nonsensical. Right now it's just basic quests and mechanics in the game.

I didn't know that, and that is good to know, but overall it seemed like a much more shallow gameplay experience than Diablo 3 or Torchlight 2. I honestly can't fathom what anyone sees in that game, other than the skill web, which while a decent enough replacement for a skill tree still seems convoluted and superfluous.

99. Re: Signed up! May 18, 2012, 21:51 eunichron

ASeven wrote on May 18, 2012, 20:43:
shinchan0s wrote on May 18, 2012, 20:15:
I hate to say it, but Torchlight 2's graphics and classes are extremely unappealing. Torchlight felt like Titan's Quest. Too linear, crap skills, no background story. Blizzard's game manuals were chock full of lore - a very underrated aspect of Blizzard's "magic" IMO.

I'll try the stress test, of course, but... I dunno, man, can't get real excited.

I always find these type of comments deliciously ironic because the devs making T2 are the same ones that made D1 and 2, therefore they are the ones that built Diablo as the powerhouse it is today.

I always hated this comment because if I wanted to play Diablo 2, I'd play Diablo 2. That is why I hated Path of Exile so much when I tried the beta. It was everything that was terrible about Diablo 2 without anything new. It was like the developers saw how "different" Diablo 3 was and decided to make a re-imagined Diablo 2, but without the good story and interesting classes, abilities, and enemies. All you're left with is a Skinner box without any veneer to hide the fact that it's a Skinner box (as Diablo [all three of them] has done).

Torchlight 2 might be different, but just because it is former Blizzard North employees doesn't mean they're immune from lack of originality.

83. Re: Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend May 18, 2012, 17:46 eunichron

ASeven wrote on May 18, 2012, 17:13:
(Coincidence or maybe not?)

Yes, it is. Now, if they had suddenly met all of their stretch goals (though they are close to meeting all of their goals) and jumped to 30k+ backers, then I'd call it a correlation.

72. Re: Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend May 18, 2012, 15:23 eunichron

sauron wrote on May 18, 2012, 15:09:
eunichron wrote on May 18, 2012, 14:59:
Cartoony, childish, graphics. Bland, trite, skills and skill trees. Unimaginative character classes. Hopefully they've fixed some of that for TL2.

Sounds like WoW, so it should make an enormous profit.

I can see where you're coming from though. Most of the time, I too go for deep, immersive RPGs with realistic graphics. But some of the time, TL just fits the bill perfectly. I have no idea why.

Yeah, I realize the graphics are subjective, I just don't prefer that graphic style, or it just has to be really over the top (like Orcs Must Die!!), and TL wasn't. Though in some of the TL2 videos it looks like they've added some zazz to the animations.

66. Re: Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend May 18, 2012, 14:59 eunichron

deqer wrote on May 18, 2012, 10:58:
It's a beautiful moddable DRM-less offline singleplayer/multiplayer/lan actionrpg game made by Runic Games(the true makers of Diablo II) that maintains all the traditional systems of the classic diablo series games--including the music--for 1/3 of the price.

It's different than Diablo 3.
- Diablo 3 is online only(lol?), and costs 3x more $
- Diablo 3 is not moddable(lol?)
- Diablo 3 requires you setup a global Battle.net account.
- Diablo 3 is being leased to you. You don't own it.
- Diablo 3 is not forever, because you don't own it.
- Diablo 3 does not maintain several traditional systems(for ARPGs). It has no skill or stat points, has a completely different skill system, and multiple other differences from traditional ARPGs.
- Diablo 3 is by Blizzard--the future of Game Leasing.(lol?)

Duh?

Oh, hey, only one of those things is anything at all related to gameplay.

"But, but, no one can play Diablo 3 because of ONLINE-ONLY lololol"

But I, and all of my friends playing, haven't had a single issue playing the game.

I'll give TL2 a try, but I wasn't a fan of the first one. Cartoony, childish, graphics. Bland, trite, skills and skill trees. Unimaginative character classes. Hopefully they've fixed some of that for TL2.

58. Re: Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend May 18, 2012, 13:39 eunichron

Rattlehead wrote on May 18, 2012, 11:35:
I enjoy Diablo 3 and will enjoy Torchlight 2. Stick that in your pipe and smoke. It's weird how you can enjoy both games without turning it into a pissing contest.

I hate all of you.

You are one crazy motherfucker. I like you.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
21. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 17, 2012, 23:37 eunichron

Wait, what? No jokes about not being able to play Diablo 3 on these laptops while you're traveling without internet?

I am disappointed.

Jokes aside, since AMD and Intel are touting Trinity and Ivy Bridge as having capable integrated gaming graphics, it makes sense to benchmark a popular game on those systems to see if they're actually viable.

News Comments > Tribes: Ascend Passes 1M Downloads
74. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passes 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 22:19 eunichron

Jerykk wrote on May 16, 2012, 22:11:
I think the biggest issue with the current system is that it doesn't really have longevity. Once you've unlocked everything for any given class, there's not much else you can do with that class. However, if they switched to a LoL-style upgrade system where you could mix and match upgrades as you saw fit, there would be a lot more flexibility and lot more variety in builds. They have the right idea with the perk system (except for the fact that you can upgrade perks) and they just need to extend that idea to the armor, weapon and item upgrades.

Just in the last patch they added custom kits that you can unlock for 5200 experience (4 custom kit slots per class + the default kit). I haven't bothered unlocking any yet so I don't know just how much customization there is, but it's there.

[EDIT]

Just asked my friend who has unlocked a few, they're just kit shortcuts so you don't have to go in an manually modify the kit whenever you spawn... so not any more customization than was already there.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Diablo III
263. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 16, 2012, 17:48 eunichron

I received my CE today from Gamestop. Lots of neat swag.

Also, preview of the Diablo 3 Cow (MLP) level: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeQzJC-vS40

And, since I did get the CE, I have 3 Diablo 3 guest passes to hand out. Steam name eunichron (if that doesn't work account name reaper96), B.net tag eunichron#1577. Shoot me a message and I'll hand them out to the first 3 people.

News Comments > Ad Says Guild Wars 2 Next Month
22. Re: Ad Says Guild Wars 2 Next Month May 16, 2012, 01:03 eunichron

KTR wrote on May 16, 2012, 00:39:
eunichron wrote on May 16, 2012, 00:11:
Don't tell me you're buying into that, "We're saving it for a surprise!" BS.

Being that the two other races were available at various press events/gaming conventions...yea, I am buying in to "that."

"Available" and "finished" are two entirely different things. The game is "available" in beta at the moment, but it is nowhere near "finished". Further reinforced by the fact that the only times they have shown off the Sylvari and Asura are with pre-made characters at high levels... it's pretty clear that the Sylvari and Asura starting zones aren't finished, and that is why they're not in the beta, and that is why there's no way in hell the game is coming out in June.

Not that I'm complaining, I'm looking forward to the game just as much as you (maybe even as much as Cutter), but I also want it to have enough time to bake in the oven before it goes live.

1789 Comments. 90 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo