Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for eunichron

Real Name eunichron   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eunichron
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2002, 16:54
Total Comments 1789 (Pro)
User ID 13977

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Dota 2 F2P & Store Details
3. Re: Dota 2 F2P & Store Details Jun 1, 2012, 00:48 eunichron

It's nice to know that it will be purely cosmetic. Hopefully they continue that once they start releasing newly designed heroes (i.e. ones that were not in Dota All-stars).  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Premium Details; Release Next Week?
18. Re: Battlefield 3 Premium Details; Release Next Week? May 30, 2012, 22:11 eunichron

You guys are so quick to jump on the price... here's some comparison for thought.

The Battlefield 2 booster packs added, in total:

14 new maps
15 new weapons
16 new vehicles
3 new gadgets in Special Forces

Total MSRP for those three was $39.97 ($19.99 for SF, $9.99 each for Euro Force and Armored Fury. So for $10 more you're getting more content, and some bonuses. It's really not that bad of a deal.

For more comparison, Road to Rome and Secret Weapons added;

14 maps
10 weapon
21 vehicles
a handful of gadgets in Secret Weapons

Total MSRP for those two expansions was $38.99.

This comment was edited on May 30, 2012, 22:17.

News Comments > Op Ed
20. Re: Op Ed May 28, 2012, 19:37 eunichron

Slashman wrote on May 28, 2012, 17:38:
Beelzebud wrote on May 28, 2012, 17:31:
Lord Tea wrote on May 28, 2012, 17:24:
Who would give a shit about D3 in 5, 10 years anyway?

The same type of people that still play Diablo 2, 12 years after its release date.

You'd think that would be obvious...

Forget Diablo 2, there are still people playing Diablo 1 on official B.net servers.

News Comments > On Diablo III Balance Changes
49. Re: On Diablo III Balance Changes May 28, 2012, 19:31 eunichron

Bhruic wrote on May 28, 2012, 17:29:
RollinThundr wrote on May 28, 2012, 16:07:
That's the problem in a nut shell, in Diablo II, uniques were exactly that unique and usually the high end one's were powerful. In Diablo III it's oh hope the randomize dice roll plays nice for you.

I think you are remembering a different game. Uniques were quite common in D2. To the point where people would just stop picking up quite a lot of the low-end stuff. They did have some really good higher-end stuff, but even a lot of that wasn't that great. There's a reason most people switched to runewords when they came out - they were much better than what's available.

Presumably Blizzard will do something similar here - introduce better gear once the game's been out awhile. Although it'll be interesting to see what they add to go with it. The uber Tristram stuff was creative, but not exactly compelling.

But the uniques in Diablo 2 usually had their uses, at least to fit niche builds. I remember playing my Bowazon in Diablo 2 and Twitchthroe, Hand of Broc, and Goblin Toe being central to the build, and they were level 5, 16, and 22, respectively, uniques. It didn't matter that they were so low level, their unique stats were so good that they were still mandatory for a level 99 Bowazon. The design of Diablo 3 does not lend legendaries to the same status as the uniques in Diablo 2.

The problems with legendaries in Diablo 3 is that they have no unique modifiers, there are no modifiers that you can get on a legendary item that aren't available from magic or rare items, and generally in greater amounts.

I'm not trying to say that legendaries in Diablo 3 should be the end-all be-all (there were a lot of useless uniques in Diablo 2), but for the most part there is no reason to use one over a standard magic or rare item because they offer nothing "legendary" other than their gold names.

Oh, and for the record I have a Demon Hunter in Act II Inferno, and a level 50 Barbarian, and I've only found 2 legendaries.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed May 28, 2012, 14:25 eunichron

Alamar wrote on May 28, 2012, 14:15:
If only it were the first game, or even action RPG that did this...

Was there this kind of uproar for GW when it came out? Or were people really fooled into thinking it was a massive?

-Alamar

Yes, they were. I remember getting GW when it first came out, and many people referred to it as an MMO, even though nowhere in ANet's documentation do they refer to it as an MMO. The catalog card in my GW box says, "Guild Wars, a competitive online role-playing game..." and underneath that a quote from PC Gamer, "The first great online action/RPG - For everyone who hates MMORPGS."

News Comments > Op Ed
33. Re: Op Ed May 27, 2012, 01:46 eunichron

Prez wrote on May 27, 2012, 00:44:
I saw this complaint a bunch, but I wonder, how is it more generic than Skyrim.

Fair point, but Skyrim is the latest in a crazy popular series (Elder Scrolls is legendary among RPG enthusiasts), so that alone makes it stand out enough to get noticed. Nondescript, derivative games aren't necessarily bad (I like quite a few games that could be considered "Cookie-cutter"), but for a first game in a brand new franchise by a new studio with very high sales requirements to meet, you need something special. From the reviews I read, while everything was pretty solid in Kingdom of Amalur, there was nothing special about it.

With a much lower budget and a lower price tag (say, 30 bucks vice the $60 it was at release), I'm betting it easily could have been a success. The failure here imo was far more on the part of poor business decisions than bad game design.

It's worse than that -- at least Ion Storm wasn't your tax dollars at work...

Correct me if I'm wrong but unless you live in Rhode Island it isn't your tax dollars. This was a state-run RI taxpayer-funded initiative to encourage business creation in RI, wasn't it?

The Verge has a pretty amazing (and lengthy) write-up of the situation, starting with the history of the company, their deal with Rhode Island Economic Development Corporation, and where the money was flowing (and coming from). It's just bad decision after bad decision... they were making business deals as if they were a rock solid AAA developer without having released a single game. Gotta hand it to Curt Schilling for trying to realize his dream, he just didn't think it through.

News Comments > Arma 3 Lighting Trailer
11. Re: Arma 3 Lighting Trailer May 25, 2012, 20:28 eunichron

The Half Elf wrote on May 25, 2012, 18:32:
Arma going back to Flashpoint has never really looked bad, it just has REALLY CRAPPY ANIMATIONS, VOICE WORK, CONTROL SCHEME, etc.

You can show me 1000 screenshots but it don't mean dick until they improve the other major issues of the game.

This has always been the thing preventing me from getting into the series (OpFlash included). I know they're billing it as a simulator, but "simulator" doesn't have to be synonymous with terrible engine, shitty performance, clunky controls, and hokey animations. I almost think they would have been better off licensing Frostbite 2 and making the necessary modifications to make it more realistic, and using the extra time not having to build an engine from scratch to make a more robust game.

News Comments > Diablo III Hotfixes
62. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes May 24, 2012, 21:46 eunichron

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 24, 2012, 19:14:
Cutter wrote on May 24, 2012, 19:09:
Are there no set items in D3? The demo allows you to get to 13 and finish the Skeleton King of which I've now done with a monk and found 2 yellows along the way and not many blues, but I have seen nary a set item.

50+ hours, came across 1 set item, early on, was garbage, sold it.

I have almost all 5 characters with about 50% of their gear is rare, and about 20+ extra rare items. Magic stuff is dime a dozen depending on your stats. Gems are what I go for now.

Set items, as they were in Diablo 2, only drop in Inferno difficulty.

47. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes May 24, 2012, 16:19 eunichron

Creston wrote on May 24, 2012, 16:13:
nin wrote on May 24, 2012, 14:18:
edit: Oh, and have fun with your steam patches for torchlight 2!

So Steam is bad now? Did I blink?

Creston

There are things that are bad about Steam, but he was taking a jab at people complaining about hotfixes being mandatory patches, whereas in Diablo 2 if you didn't like a certain patch you could just revert and continue to play the previous version in single player. Steam effectively does the same thing as Blizzard's hotfixes by forced patching.

4. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes May 24, 2012, 12:48 eunichron

Alamar wrote on May 24, 2012, 12:25:
Lots of complaints from peeps that built their chars around Smoke Screen or the Force Armor rune... Game breaking bugs get fixed... More at eleven...

I'm looking forward to trying out Force Armor myself... Looks like a real handy ability... If I don't foret to keep it up... Not a big fan of short term buffs in general, but 2(or 4 with a juicy passive) isn't that horrible, especially with 1-2 other 5m buffs in my build : )

-Alamar

Yeah, it was rough playing my Demon Hunter at first after the hotfixes, but I believe I've settled on a decent build now. Still dying in Hell difficulty, but dying a lot less than I was immediately following the hotfix.

News Comments > Diablo III Claims Sales Record
97. Re: Diablo III Claims Sales Record May 23, 2012, 18:59 eunichron

ASeven wrote on May 23, 2012, 18:26:
I wouldn't bet much on that for the next generation.

It's going to be a long time before any gaming rigs are able to render Avatar in real-time, that's still a fairly unrealistic goal for current tech. All MS and Sony have to do is make a console that is on par with current generation PC hardware, which at a minimum would be DX11.1 compliance and true 1080p rendering, which wouldn't be hard at all with current available hardware.

87. Re: Diablo III Claims Sales Record May 23, 2012, 18:14 eunichron

Slippy wrote on May 23, 2012, 18:05:
Hey Walt,
Been thinking about purchasing Skyrim... Didn't have any time to game when it came out and then just never got around to it. Use Fallout 3 as a comparison... I love that game... do you think I would like Skyrim?

Thanks for your input in advance!

Wait, you haven't purchased Skyrim yet? Good god man, do yourself a favor and go buy it right now.

84. Re: Diablo III Claims Sales Record May 23, 2012, 18:05 eunichron

Optional nickname wrote on May 23, 2012, 17:38:
Blizzard is deleting all my posts in tech support, and here too.

I wrote stuff about how their game has melted some of my hardware components, due to the repeated shut downs that tens of thousands of players are also experiencing, (but have no alternate system to post on)

all my comments deleted, and here at blues too, the Nvidia driver update story, GONE.

good riddance failed sequel attempt that is Diablo 3, totally believed my gut feeling that this was going to be a disastrous dumbed down sequel, waiting all this time, for what, lol

COMON GRIM DAWN!!! TAKE US OUTTA HERE.

Actually, your post here at Blues is still there.

So I'm going to go with the problem exists between keyboard and chair.

News Comments > Firefall Change Plans
2. Re: Firefall Change Plans May 22, 2012, 22:49 eunichron

DangerDog wrote on May 22, 2012, 22:17:
They lost me with their whacked out graphic designs, Planetside 2 looks much better.

I got a beta invite last week, tried it out a little bit and it was decent. Nothing spectacular. Red 5 is very involved with the community and constantly responding to feedback, so hopefully it's for the better.

If you were talking about the cel-shaded look, that can be turned off in the options to give it a more traditional look. I thought it looked whacked out too, but I was glad to see the option to turn it off.

News Comments > Blizzard on Diablo III Security
9. Re: Blizzard on Diablo III Security May 22, 2012, 22:43 eunichron

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 22, 2012, 22:30:
Kitkoan wrote on May 22, 2012, 22:16:
The app versions are free. Not sure about the SMS thing though. I'm not defending Blizzard here, but their knee jerk answer is free.
App version is free, sms version is free, and if you get hacked they give you an authenticator. Can't quite figure out the problem here for some people.

On top of that there's this;

We've been taking the situation extremely seriously from the start, and have done everything possible to verify how and in what circumstances these compromises are occurring. Despite the claims and theories being made, we have yet to find any situations in which a person's account was not compromised through traditional means of someone else logging into their account through the use of their password. While the authenticator isn't a 100% guarantee of account security, we have yet to investigate a compromise report in which an authenticator was attached beforehand.

So, either people who claim they've been hacked with an authenticator are lying (You think people would do that? Just go on the internet and tell lies?), or they just didn't bother to formally report it, giving Blizzard no information to work with.

Totally anecdotal, but I've used an authenticator for my Battle.net account since they first became available for WoW, switched to a mobile authenticator when I got a smartphone, and my WoW/Battle.net account has never been 'hacked', nor do I know anyone with an authenticator that has been. These people are being phished plain and simple.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts
9. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 18:36 eunichron

1badmf wrote on May 22, 2012, 18:22:
as much as I've loved star wars all my life, this last desperate attempt to shove mediocrity down our throats and have us shit out money for them had to fail for the MMO Genre to move on and evolve. I said so many a time when I was in early closed beta, hoping it was early enough that they could at least try to implement a few creative design choices. but of course the message was ignored when all they could see were the dollar signs WoW was raking in.

i suppose that comes with a built-in fear of experimentation, but any objective fan of MMOs at the time could see the writing on the wall - the WOW formula was dying, and the next attempt at it would likely be the saturation point of exhaustion for the market, leading to failure of said attempt. i don't know what the design evolution of MMOs should be, but please no more WOW clones.

I think, in general, the message has gotten across. With the rave press that Guild Wars 2 is getting, the flop of SW:TOR, and the lukewarm press and customer reaction that WoW: Mists of Pandaria is getting (I still keep in touch with some of my old WoW guildmates that play, and all of them in the beta are saying it's the worst expansion by far), it's pretty clear that MMORPG players want something new, and currently the only game offering it is GW2. Sucks if you're looking for something Star Wars related, but hopefully the message is clear to developers and the next Star Wars MMO won't just be another get rich quick scheme.

News Comments > Diablo III Hacking?
170. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 22, 2012, 01:47 eunichron

Dev wrote on May 22, 2012, 01:17:
entr0py wrote on May 22, 2012, 01:15:
That is absolutely my No. 1 complaint about the game as well. In order to play on any of the fun difficulty levels you have to complete the entire game on normal (easy) once for EVERY character class. I was expecting all the online hassles, but I never thought they could screw up the difficulty so badly. It just about single-handedly ruins the game, it's not any fun this way.
Wait. WTF!? Easy on EVERY CHARACTER class? I thought I'd only need to play it once ever. How freaking boring is that. D2 wasn't that way I don't think.

I think his wording was a bit off... you don't have to complete normal with every class to play Nightmare/Hell/Inferno at all, you only have to complete it for that specific character. There is a linear progression, i.e. to play Hell you have to defeat Nightmare, to play Inferno you have to defeat Hell and be level 60 (max level). Diablo 2 was that way as well, and the reasoning is that the health and damage of the mobs are scaled up, as are the item drops (essentially the first mob in Normal is level 1, the first mob in Nightmare would be level 30). However, unlike Diablo 2, in Diablo 3 once you beat Normal you don't have to do the quests or acts in order on subsequent difficulties. For example I was just in a coop Nightmare game with a friend, we were on Act III, we were level 46-ish. Our third friend jumped in with his level 36 Witch Doctor who had only completed Act I Nightmare, but he was able to join us when we were half way through Act III. It also seems that our other friend got an experience boost as he caught up to us in levels fairly quickly. We finished all of Act III and he was level 43 or 44 while we were both 49.

I believe only Diablo 1 allowed you to choose a difficulty starting from level 1, but if I remember correctly you still had to complete the game on Normal with any character before you could play the harder difficulties.

This comment was edited on May 22, 2012, 02:41.

136. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 19:36 eunichron

Orogogus wrote on May 21, 2012, 19:32:
Yifes wrote on May 21, 2012, 18:55:
Verno wrote on May 21, 2012, 18:47:
someeone else saying stuff about consoles

It's hard to argue against the fact that their number of skill choices maps out well to gamepads though. In fact most of the interface will.

That's really an issue with ARPGs in general. The simplicity and repetitive nature of these game makes them naturally easy to adapt for consoles. Just look at Torchlight. The D3 interface is actually an improvement and has more depth than D2.

Really? As someone else pointed out, precision targeting is a problem. I played Sacred 2, which had a distinctly console feel. Small mobs, de-emphasis on ranged attacks, no inventory Tetris (a good thing in my book, but most PC gamers disagree). How well did Diablo 1 play on the Playstation back in the day?

Never played Diablo 1 on a console, but I did play the shit out of D&D Heroes on the original Xbox, and it was fun as hell, though the game did have a lack of some of the things the previous poster was talking about (the ability to target specific mobs, ground targeting with AOE spells). Here's a Let's Play of the game; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kqMp4Nw9uE

I guess the point is that while it is entirely possible to have an excellent ARPG on consoles, the control scheme is even more simplistic than what people are claiming Diablo 3's to be, and to call Diablo 3 "consolized" is a stretch.

107. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 18:08 eunichron

MadBoris wrote on May 21, 2012, 16:49:
Let me see if I am keeping count on how the gamer benefits from all of this...

Some Cons?
  • One of the most expensive PC games.

• How is this a complaint? $59.99 has been the standard price for big-budget games, console and PC, for years. If they had charged $69.99 for the standard edition then I would understand, but they're not. I look on Steam and Origin right now and I see Skyrim: $59.99, Black Ops 2: $59.99, Battlefield 3: $59.99, Crysis 3: $59.99, Medal of Honor: Warfighter: $59.99, C&C: Generals 2: $59.99. The only games that are $50 or less are lower budget titles from no-name studios, or indie games. This argument makes no sense, it's just grasping. If you're going to complain about the price, then complain about the price of PC games in general, don't hold it against a specific title.

• Graphics resources kept within console resource limits by way of some decent art tricks, some say it's the most amazing graphics they have ever seen, fps performance is high.

• While the graphics aren't technically advanced, Blizzard has always had great artists that are able to hide that fact.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
    8. Re: Sunday Metaverse May 21, 2012, 01:55 eunichron

Sounds like a massive ripoff to me, this is what I get from TWC for $50 a month; http://www.speedtest.net/result/1962780439.png

I could pay more for more upstream, but I don't really have a need for it.

1789 Comments. 90 pages. Viewing page 14.
    < Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo