Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for eunichron

Real Name eunichron   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eunichron
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2002, 16:54
Total Comments 1789 (Pro)
User ID 13977

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III Hotfixes and More
14. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 9, 2012, 19:56 eunichron

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 19:34:
eunichron wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 18:00:
NKD wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 17:56:
eunichron wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 17:42:
The pots were the #1 spot for botting. You don't have to kill anything to get there, and there are no enemies in the area. You could make 40k+ gold in an hour doing nothing other than breaking pots totally unimpeded.

Oh no! 40k! We must stamp that out immediately. In two weeks, you might be able to buy a piece of gear.

It depends on who you ask, some people claim they could make as much as a million an hour, but the point is it was a nerf to try to stamp out bots, not people who were running it themselves.
With a disparity that big, somebody REALLY doesn't know what they're talking about.

Actually, the disparity comes from a few factors; the amount of Gold Find you have (in which it doesn't matter if you stack the maximum possible since Ash farming requires killing no monsters, you can stack GF and have no other stats and be just as effective as someone doing it with regular stat gear and no GF), how fast you can do it (loading in/out of game, being able to clear all the Ashes expediently). If you're running a bot it speeds up the process that much more by removing the human component.

I never did it, because it's fucking boring. I would rather spend my time killing monsters and fighting bosses than smashing pots for 4 hours.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 9, 2012, 18:00 eunichron

NKD wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 17:56:
eunichron wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 17:42:
The pots were the #1 spot for botting. You don't have to kill anything to get there, and there are no enemies in the area. You could make 40k+ gold in an hour doing nothing other than breaking pots totally unimpeded.

Oh no! 40k! We must stamp that out immediately. In two weeks, you might be able to buy a piece of gear.

It depends on who you ask, some people claim they could make as much as a million an hour, but the point is it was a nerf to try to stamp out bots, not people who were running it themselves.

Dev wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 17:44:
He says they are stealth hacking blizzard fansites and trying same user/pass on paypal and d3

Bbbbbut Blizard's security is terrible and they're an awful company who doesn't care about their customers!

Also, that interview was just painful to listen to.

4. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 9, 2012, 17:42 eunichron

News Comments > Unreal Engine 4 Videos
34. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Videos Jun 9, 2012, 16:40 eunichron

Flatline wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 16:26:
Before you start bitching about little tiny shit like ammo clips, maybe we should do something about the actual shooting of guns. If you shoot in real life, shooting from the hip is almost impossible, and even running/walking while aiming with anything larger than a SMG is going to be an exercise in exhaustion. If you want realism, start with something simple: bring back the weapon (in)accuracy of games like Rogue Spear, where I could be in the middle of an empty room and drop to a knee, motionless, while some asshole circle-strafed me and unloaded his entire magazine and I'd kill him about 95 times out of a hundred.

Start there, and we'll start discussing "realism".

Well, first off it's fucking "magazine" not "clip" god damn it! There is a difference! http://i.imgur.com/KXR2Z.jpg

Second, shooting from the hip isn't all hard: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bn3GvvkA6U
Somewhat related in CQB you don't actually aim down the sights of your rifle, but you aim down the barrel (there is a technical term for it but I don't remember what it is). It works for engagements less than 50m, which the majority video game engagements would qualify for.

Lastly, running/walking while aiming is not difficult or exhausting at all. I've done it in both training and real situations, and I could do it now in my current soft-body out of shape civilian status.

News Comments > Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play
57. Re: Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play Jun 9, 2012, 15:02 eunichron

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 14:44:
eunichron wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 14:07:
Uh, the "credits" needed to use vehicles in T:A are the credits that you earn in-game by scoring kills, repairing the base, capping/returning flags etc. The same credits that are used for supply station drops, tactical and orbital strikes. It has absolutely nothing to do at all with purchasing anything.
But it's part of the whole grind-to-win philosophy that pervades every design decision in F2P games. In T2 I didn't have to deal with any of that nonsense and it was a better game for it. I could spawn a carrier vehicle, wait for team mates to fly in and go storming off into enemy territory - now I have to kill some people or repair stuff to earn fictional points before being able to do anything.

As I'm not familiar with it, can you purchase those credits? If so then you're rewarding people for paying, which was exactly my point. If not it's still a tedious grind that I don't have any patience for.

No, you can't purchase the in-game credits. They are very easy to get though, certain skill shots and getting double/triple kills will earn you more, but there is nothing you can purchase from the store to increase your credit earnings. The Shrike is the most expensive at 4000 credits, which should take a skilled player a matter of minutes to earn, and if you're good enough you shouldn't have a problem earning 4000 more while flying it to buy a new one if you lose it.

But, that's just the vehicles. The most expensive thing is Orbital Strikes at 10,000 credits, of which I've seen players use 3-4 in a single game.

54. Re: Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play Jun 9, 2012, 14:07 eunichron

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 10:25:
T:A pissed me off when I went to spawn a vehicle or pick a different class and I didn't have enough credits - I have no interest in grinding or paying to access features that were freely available in previous games.

Uh, the "credits" needed to use vehicles in T:A are the credits that you earn in-game by scoring kills, repairing the base, capping/returning flags etc. The same credits that are used for supply station drops, tactical and orbital strikes. It has absolutely nothing to do at all with purchasing anything.

News Comments > Unreal Engine 4 Videos
12. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Videos Jun 9, 2012, 00:32 eunichron

Prez wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 00:03:
But did it have ambient occlusion, vertex lighting, and bump mapping? (Yeah, I totally looked those up, and no, I haven't got a clue what they mean)

Confession of a graphics whore: I do know what they all mean without looking them up. Sigh.

Looks pretty, and that's neat, but akin to what theyarecomingforyou said, there are other areas to make improvements other than graphical fidelity. For instance, the cloth physics (the banners on the wall "blowing" in the wind) still look rigid and mechanical. While the progressive movement of the magma looks neat, the texture on top of it was still plastic and detached from the liquid itself.

As good as it does look, I find it hard to believe that this is what Mark Rein is claiming next-gen consoles will have trouble running.

7. Re: Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play Jun 8, 2012, 22:20 eunichron

Prez wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 21:34:
And a "free to play" game isn't? You don't spend 30 million dollars on a game without wanting a return on that investment. You are going to pitch to gamers constantly so they spend money on your "free" game. It has to happen; how else would a game like this be cost effective?

Well, there are multiple sides to it. As a player it's nice to not have to pay if you don't want to. I'm enjoying the shit out of Tribes: Ascend, and I kicked in $8 for VIP status, and because I felt the developers deserved it. I'd pay more if I could afford it at the moment.

On the other hand F2P also usually means multiplayer only, which sucks for those that do enjoy single player, story driven, games. Not that I'm sure Crysis had a great story, I only played the first one and the demo for 2, and I thought they were decent; the demo for 2 didn't grab me enough to make a full purchase.

On the other, other, hand, F2P has proven to be vastly more profitable for developers than the standard retail model. Valve is making bank off of TF2 going F2P, and they're going to have a license to print money once Dota 2 goes live as F2P. Not to mention the numerous MMOs that went from subscriber based to a F2P model posting record profits. It may be the case that they would still be able to spend $30m on development and recoup those costs even faster than with their current model.

On the last hand, fuck them if they plan on making anything Pay2Win. F2P works now because the best models don't make purchasing mandatory.

ViRGE wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 22:17:
Dmitri_M wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 22:13:
Who plays Free to Play games? I simply do not pay attention to anything that's free to play. My basic presumption is that they're rubbish titles. Especially the shooters.
Ditto. My working assumption is that they're either rubbish or trying to milk you in some fashion.

You know what happens when you assume...

News Comments > Bethesda Still Wants RAGE to be All the Rage
50. Re: Bethesda Still Wants RAGE to be All the Rage Jun 8, 2012, 22:05 eunichron

Mad Max RW wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 21:57:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 21:23:
Mad Max RW wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 21:13:
It's only "inane" if you're a fucking retard and didn't closely follow Rage and DNF throughout release.
The difference was that people assumed DNF was going to be a turkey. RAGE was actually portrayed as a good game, yet upon release it became clear that id Software had actually lied to gamers.

Remember this? http://icrontic.com/article/why-id-softwares-rage-is-going-to-suck

It's fun going back and reading the stuff people said when these games were about to come out. So many people look like stupid assholes today, especially the DNF/Rage defenders who dominated websites and forums early on. A one year retrospective on the DNF community is hilarious.

I've been saying it for years... id doesn't make video games anymore, they make glorified tech demos. Hell, even RAGE wasn't that great as a tech demo. The megatexture/virtual texturing idea failed (having "unqiue" textures doesn't mean shit if they look like ass), and the rest of the lighting and effects aren't any better than what Frostbite 2 and CryENGINE 2 are currently doing. I would say id should just quit while they were ahead, but they haven't been ahead in a long time.

News Comments > It Came from E3 2012, Part 5
11. Re: It Came from E3 2012, Part 5 Jun 8, 2012, 01:21 eunichron

DeadlyAccurate wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 00:26:
Prez wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 21:00:
Ahh, another year, another trade show, and another round of typical snooty, overblown, self-important forced outrage about sexism in the industry. Because we all know that the games industry is the only one crass enough to use sex to sell products. And all those smoking hot leading women in all your favorite TV shows got their solely based on their talent alone. And all of the supermodel country music stars -not an ugly one in the bunch - well, there's just no talented fat and ugly women out there, dontcha know? Ugly women don't drink beer, so only drop dead gorgeous divas fit the bill for beer commercials. And of course we all know there are no fat ugly women in Texas, which is why every Dallas Cowboy cheerleader is a goddess. Nothing to do with their sex appeal at all. Nope. Nosiree.

Jesus people are hypocrites.

For me, it has less to do with that and more to do with the fact that by using sexy women, they're making it obvious the only people they're interested in attracting are straight men. What about those of us who aren't interested in staring at women? Why not try to sell to us, too? I don't mean by making "games for women" or any crap like that, or by putting "booth boys" in the booths. I mean by considering that maybe it's time to appeal to more than the old guard.

And thank you for objecting to the use of the word "slut." It's such an ugly word, and it's almost universally used to degrade women.

Well, for you there's the Planetside 2 booth guy: http://i.minus.com/jbxrZId5Df4YR0.jpg

News Comments > It Came from E3 2012, Part 5
3. Re: It Came from E3 2012, Part 5 Jun 7, 2012, 21:04 eunichron

Glad to hear good things about Hawken. I was a bit worried with some of the gameplay videos that were really arcadey, they just made it look like CoD in mechs. Of course, with MWO coming around about the same time it might behoove them to differentiate themselves a little bit.

I was a little skeptical about 2012 for games, but Planetside 2 (Totalbiscuit's streams were fucking amazing!), Mechwarrior Online, Hawken... shaping up to look like a great year for F2P games.

Prez wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 21:00:
Ahh, another year, another trade show, and another round of typical snooty, overblown, self-important forced outrage about sexism in the industry.

I don't get it either. I like games. I like tits. Combining the two can only have positive results. These girls need to make money, and they obviously don't mind since they agree to it. I guess feminists pushing for women's choice doesn't include choices that feminists don't agree with.

News Comments > Diablo III Patched & Next Patch Notes
10. Re: Diablo III Patched & Next Patch Notes Jun 7, 2012, 00:51 eunichron

For clarification on the NV + Boss drops change, it's actually a nerf. As is bosses are guaranteed to drop 2 rares in addition to extra magic items with a full 5-stack of Nephalem Valor. They're nerfing it to only one guaranteed rare drop with a 5-stack of NV. However they're also buffing rare/elite mob packs to drop 1 guaranteed rare item, right now it's just a high chance to drop 1. It works to nerf runs like the Warden/Butcher run while giving more loot for players that choose to clear the entire map.  

News Comments > Linux Steam Client This Year?
22. Re: Linux Steam Client This Year? Jun 6, 2012, 17:01 eunichron

This actually makes a lot of sense if they're working on a "Steambox". A console made with mid-range PC hardware running on a customized Linux kernel with a Steam based shell and desktop environment? Sounds plausible. Of course, they'd have to do something about the currently very shitty Linux video drivers.  

News Comments > WatchDogs Announced
34. Re: WatchDogs Announced Jun 5, 2012, 14:06 eunichron

wtf_man wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 13:59:
So, is Ubi still doing the always on crap?

I'm reading conflicting stuff from Google searches.

It looks like they did take it off Driver San Francisco, which I was kind of interested in... but wouldn't buy it because of the always-on DRM.

Ubi's DRM right now isn't always-on, but it has limited activations based on your computer hardware.

Also, is it just me or does the Asian guy in the art gallery look like Dae-su Oh from Oldboy?

This comment was edited on Jun 5, 2012, 14:14.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic F2P Next Month
7. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic F2P Support Coming Jun 4, 2012, 17:13 eunichron

nin wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 17:03:
this is not F2P, F2P stands for "free to play", that means you play a game without paying.

WOW does the same thing, but I'm not sure they call it that...

Yeah, this isn't F2P, this is a free trial, that almost all monthly fee MMOs introduce after their first few months. WoW has one, Rift has one... nothing F2P about it.

News Comments > StarCraft II Beta Adds The Arcade
4. Re: StarCraft II Beta Adds The Arcade Jun 4, 2012, 15:42 eunichron

I still load up SC2 occasionally to play some 2v2s and 3v3s with friends. The Terran campaign was pretty cool, but the online game is too much like SC1, which I got burned out on long ago. I'm really hoping Heart of the Swarm adds enough new units to propagate new strategies, and if the Zerg campaign is as good as the Terran campaign was, it will be worth it, I think.  

News Comments > Diablo III Patched
51. Re: Diablo III Patched Jun 2, 2012, 02:17 eunichron

Dades wrote on Jun 2, 2012, 01:30:
eunichron wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 22:04:
I think you guys are suffering from a false sense of nostalgia. As you all said, you played Diablo 2 for years, as did I... but after years of Diablo 2 how long was it before you had personally found every unique/set item in the game? How long was it until your character had the absolute best gear possible?

People found uniques and sets while leveling, never said anything about having the best stuff. It was just cool to find interesting items instead of generic crap and only having a chance at the best stuff when you hit level 60 as if the game was an MMO. The thing about Diablo II was that it had the generic crap that is the loot of Diablo III but it also had all of the interesting stuff on top of that which is pretty important.

I'd agree as far as legendaries. At the very least in Diablo 2 even extremely low level uniques were useful in some very specific builds. As it is the legendaries in Diablo 3 are pretty generic and don't offer anything unique over their rare counterparts, other than maybe an additional stat. At the very least Blizzard has said they're taking a second look at the power of legendaries and will be buffing them... but what I'd really like to see are more unique stat bonuses (such as Dual Leech from Diablo 2) to actually make them desirable for certain builds. However, as far as drop rate, I don't have a problem with it currently. I've found two legendaries while playing to date, my friend found 3 in a matter of hours while farming mats for the Whimseyshire staff. As I said in my previous post, that is the nature of random loot.

48. Re: Diablo III Patched Jun 2, 2012, 01:16 eunichron

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 2, 2012, 00:01:
Partially agreeing with you - but where is the longevity in D3 if you can just buy everything at the AH? Or RMAH when it is up?

You're not forced to use the AH, and the game is certainly beatable without using it. My furthest character right now is a Demon Hunter in Act II Inferno, and I've gotten to that point without buying anything off the AH. I can now use my Demon Hunter to farm gear for my other characters (have a Barbarian the just started Inferno, and a few random characters still in Normal). I got lucky and found a decent 600 DPS bow in Act I Inferno that lets me do it; but that's the nature of RNG loot, sometimes you get lucky. Incidentally I have a few friends that are AH whores, constantly blowing all of their gold on new items, and yet only one of them has surpassed me in terms of progression.

I look at it like this; the game up to Inferno is able to be completed with only what you find during regular play. I've done it, so have thousands of other people. Inferno is so ridiculously overtuned at the moment that for almost every class, except Barbarian and possibly Monks (if only due to the fact that they're melee), buying stuff off the AH isn't going to help you anyway. Barbarians on the other hand scale so well with gear, and are so gear dependent, that once you reach Inferno you are almost forced to use the AH, where the only other option is spending days farming the Dark Cellar in Act I or Act IV Hell.

43. Re: Diablo III Patched Jun 1, 2012, 22:04 eunichron

I think you guys are suffering from a false sense of nostalgia. As you all said, you played Diablo 2 for years, as did I... but after years of Diablo 2 how long was it before you had personally found every unique/set item in the game? How long was it until your character had the absolute best gear possible? How much of that gear did you get by trading/buying it from other players? How long did you spend farming X boss/miniboss for it? Diablo 3 has been out for 2.5 weeks, are you really expecting to have the best gear possible from a game whose item treadmill is designed to last years (as Diablo 2's did)? Aside from some quirks in itemization (legendaries really should have set stats, i.e. it's fine if the amount of a certain stat is randomized, but finding a Wizard only legendary with strength on it is outright ridiculous), it really isn't any different from Diablo 2 in terms of the rate of acquisition.  

News Comments > Rift Expands This Autumn
8. Re: Rift Expands This Autumn Jun 1, 2012, 14:06 eunichron

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 11:41:
I will say.. aside from WoW in my glory days there (your opinion will vary).. Rift was by far and away the bet MMO experience I had. I felt the game did just about everything right.
I was an end-game raider though, so I always had stuff to do. From the Expert Rifts, to Raid Rifts, to Raid dungeons..to world events. I left the game due to guild issues (our guild got consumed by another guild in a hostile takeover).. but if I found another good guild to play with, I'd definitely come back.

In fact.. if Planetside 2/GW 2 bores me around the time this expansion comes out.. I'm jumping back on the Rift train. It really was/is a fantastic game.

(I missed the one-man chronicle stuff.. and whatever else was added after the first -added in- raid ..the one with the portal to get in)

Going to agree with this. At the moment Rift is by far the best MMO out right now, but there are two things preventing me from playing; bad class design for the warrior (which is what I played, and I'm not sure if it's been fixed yet), and monthly fee (just can't afford it at the moment, otherwise I'd gladly pay).

If I wasn't already sold on GW2 I would definitely be playing Rift for my MMO fix.

1789 Comments. 90 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo