Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for eunichron

Real Name eunichron   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eunichron
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2002, 16:54
Total Comments 1789 (Pro)
User ID 13977

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
17. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 3, 2012, 21:15 eunichron

Creston wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 01:15:
Wikipedia says Wikipedia is fantastically accurate. In other news, GOP says "GOP is absolutely awesome", Democratic Party says "Democratic Party rocks the USA!" and Justin Bieber says "Justin Bieber is the best artist in the world."

Creston

Yeah... having two bachelors degrees in history, and working on my masters in library science, I have to call out Wikipedia on their bullshit.

On the whole it's more accurate than your typical info website or blog. It's OK for a quick reference to look up when you're having a conversation with friends, but as an academic source it's garbage.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed Aug 3, 2012, 16:29 eunichron

I think Kotaku is confusing "disdain" and "aversion" with game developers doing their jobs. Developers make the games they want to make, yeah there are some exceptions when publishers begin to force themselves into the process, but in the end game design is not up to the gamers. As I read through the beta forums for a few upcoming, highly anticipated, games I realize that the communities have some truly awful ideas. It's not the developers job to make the games the communities wants, their job is to make the game that the designers want within the means that they are able. If the community does not like that, they can make their own studio and make the game they want. If the designers decide that they want community input and involvement in the design and development of the game, well that's entirely up to them.

That doesn't mean we should just eat up everything that is shoved in our faces. There is valid criticism, and there is being a whiny bitch. Take Diablo 3 as a prime example. Blizzard made the game that they wanted to make. If the community doesn't like it, that's not Blizzard's problem. If there are serious problems with the design they need to be examined and conveyed in a respectable manner, but the current trend in Diablo 3 forums is, "Wahh, RMAH, wahh, always online, wahh Blizzard didn't make the game I wanted." If you look at the posts that are well thought out and convey a serious problem in the design, Blizzard has usually responded appropriately, and if recent news is an indicator they are taking those critiques it into consideration. Any changes may not come about any time soon (if past Blizzard games are an indicator it will take an expansion to "fix" the game), but Blizzard does not have an obligation to inform us of the daily design decision they are making.

This may not apply equally to certain developers who just churn out the same garbage year after year (*cough*InfinityWard*cough*), but games are a product of the developers and designer first, a money grab for publishers second, and entertainment for the gamers third. Kotaku seems to have missed that point entirely.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2012, 21:42 eunichron

My cat has a case of worms. tried some over the counter stuff and none of it worked, so I'm taking him in tomorrow for a once-over and a prescription. I have him locked up in my room with a litter box for an easy stool sample, but he likes to spend a lot of time outside so he's pretty much going nuts right now. He is also not too fond of people other than myself, and hasn't been to the vet since being neutered, so it will be interesting to see how he handles it.  

News Comments > Rise of the Triad Revival Announced
15. Re: Rise of the Triad Revival Announced Aug 2, 2012, 17:53 eunichron

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 17:49:
PHJF wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 17:38:
Now all we need is a new Shadow Warrior and the cycle will be complete!
Ohhhoohoho...
You no beat Lo Wang.

Wonder if it'll survive today's hyper-sensitive PC culture.

Considering Postal still rises now and again, I think Shadow Warrior would do OK.

Now that I think about it, the nonchalant racism might cause a stir.

News Comments > Rise of the Triad Revival Announced
9. Re: Rise of the Triad Revival Announced Aug 2, 2012, 17:36 eunichron

Looks good for a laugh. I remember playing shareware RotT at a friend's house when I was 11 or so.  

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Today
28. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Today Aug 2, 2012, 16:32 eunichron

SimplyMonk wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 16:10:
RollinThundr wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 15:46:
eunichron wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 15:26:
Well, got in and tried to make a character on the server my friends and I had decided on... apparently accounts are server locked, it was asking me to pay 1,800 gems for a transfer, even after deleting all my characters. Hopefully the wipe before launch includes account settings, otherwise I'll be demanding a refund if I can't play with my friends without paying.

Ouch that's certainly a new thing. The group I'm going to be playing with changed our server in the last beta since the one we were on prior was full at the time. I guess those types of things are how Arena plans to make money with no sub fees.

Hmm. Not sure if it being enforced is no or not, but that was the plan for the game for at least a couple months now. You can still play your character on any server with any of your friends. You'll just won't be able to WvW with them. I imagine it might be revenue based, but it also might be that they want to discourage an account have characters on both sides of a WvW fight.

Obviously though, you can just buy two copies of the game.

It won't be an issue at all, it's not even that big of an issue right now, as long as the info is wiped along with the characters before launch, but if I'm still stuck on the same server at launch... well fuck that and fuck them.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Today
23. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Today Aug 2, 2012, 15:26 eunichron

Well, got in and tried to make a character on the server my friends and I had decided on... apparently accounts are server locked, it was asking me to pay 1,800 gems for a transfer, even after deleting all my characters. Hopefully the wipe before launch includes account settings, otherwise I'll be demanding a refund if I can't play with my friends without paying.  

News Comments > Diablo III Armory Rumor
19. Re: Diablo III Armory Rumor Aug 1, 2012, 15:07 eunichron

Flatline wrote on Aug 1, 2012, 14:47:
Bucky wrote on Aug 1, 2012, 11:23:
Given how long they'd been working on Diablo 3, in one form or another, it's surprising that so many elements feel missing from the game. Lackluster legendaries, sets that are impossible to find, map randomization that barely exists, and the painful writing. I remember a quote from someone at Blizzard that said no one would remember if the game was late if it was great, but the truth is in another six months I don't think anyone will remember the game at all.

Is it surprising?

Blizzard canned the original iteration of Diablo 3 apparently back in 2005 after the original Blizzard North team more or less left after getting pissed at Vivendi, which means it still was a 7 year cluserfuck of apparently no time constraints nor budget constraints. Which you'd think that would lead to the perfect game right? But without any pressure on the devs, you need self-discipline to make up for real world pressures.

Anyway, if you want to see what Diablo 3 would have looked like had it gotten released in 2005, there's an interesting forbes article:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/05/28/the-diablo-iii-that-never-was/

It feels like a game that was pieced together out of what was supposed to be a grander game.

Other than the story, that is really the only complaint I have with the game; the artistic direction. Not that its current iteration is bad by any means, it's just too much of a deviation from D1/D2. It certainly has its dark areas, but as the article said, it's missing that gothic feel that was present in the first two.

However, what I don't get, are the people that criticize D3 for being too bright and cartoony, while at the same time lauding TL2 which is orders of magnitude more bright and cartoony than D3.

I'm really hoping the Grim Dawn guys can show something off soon, they've been worryingly quiet since the Kickstarter.

News Comments > Steam Precludes Class Action Lawsuits
123. Re: Steam Precludes Class Action Lawsuits Aug 1, 2012, 14:02 eunichron

Verno wrote on Aug 1, 2012, 12:54:
On Kotaku today I read a comment about this story where someone said "I just... trust Valve more." That's the personification of the idea I dislike... Valve should not be trusted more than any other company out to get your money. Appreciated? Sure. Trusted? No. As today's news should hopefully make clear, they will screw you as soon as they think they can and should, and do it with a snarky smile.

If you have to qualify everything with "I like Steam" you're really sending the opposite signal IMO but that's besides the point. No company should technically be trusted but people are human beings and that kind of emotional response is understandable. People shouldn't just ignore the history of a company, whether its positive or negative as that information is important to a consumer. You also ignore reality, people "trust" Valve because they built that relationship with the customer through goodwill and community positive decisions. It's a self-correcting market, if Valve makes a series of anti-consumer decisions then the community opinion will shift accordingly. The PC industry is especially fickle and people don't love Steam so much that they will ignore problems that affect their consumer experience.

I'm not sure how other people "feel" about Valve really affects you, especially since the results are the same regardless. Some people might not get as worked up as you over something like this because it ultimately doesn't affect them, that's life. Charging into every Valve topic with "HURRR SEE VALVE IS DA BADDIE I TOLD U SO!" just automatically puts people on the defensive and actually furthers them from seeing the issue. Valve earned their status with consumers. They built a relationship with the customer, that is a pretty basic thing in many successful businesses and something that many other gaming companies have utterly failed at. If they destroy that through a series of poor decisions then that will be earned too but until then you should stop acting like they did a dog and pony show to trick millions of people into liking them because no one will take that seriously.

Exactly, but it's a struggle these days. I'm guilty of it myself. I don't approve of what these companies are doing one bit, I still have Facebook because it makes it simple and easy to keep in touch with old friends that I no longer live near. I own a Galaxy Nexus made by Samsung, sponsored by Google, running stock Android 4.0. that I pay Verizon $80 a month for. I still use both Steam and Origin. I own an Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 and play on Xbox Live and PlayStation Network. I don't like a lot of their business practices, but you know what, Facebook, Google, Valve, Microsoft, Sony, and EA haven't done anything that hurts me personally yet, so I trust them and continue using their products on a daily basis.

I'm such a fucking hypocrite and I hate myself.

67. Re: Steam Precludes Class Action Lawsuits Aug 1, 2012, 00:38 eunichron

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Aug 1, 2012, 00:36:
eunichron wrote on Aug 1, 2012, 00:23:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Aug 1, 2012, 00:13:
The difference is that EA blocked class action lawsuits - as well as the ability to sue the company!

Actually, no. This is exactly what EA's EULA says;

By entering into this Agreement, you and EA expressly waive the right to a trial by jury or to participate in a class action.
No, you are mistaken. It said this:

YOU UNDERSTAND THAT BY THIS PROVISION, YOU AND EA ARE FOREGOING THE RIGHT TO SUE IN COURT AND HAVE A JURY TRIAL.

How did I know you were going to say that...

That is in case of arbitration, an entirely different clause of the EULA. I even took the liberty of taking a screenshot of it for you;

Here.

63. Re: Steam Precludes Class Action Lawsuits Aug 1, 2012, 00:23 eunichron

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Aug 1, 2012, 00:13:
The difference is that EA blocked class action lawsuits - as well as the ability to sue the company!

Actually, no. This is exactly what EA's EULA says;

By entering into this Agreement, you and EA expressly waive the right to a trial by jury or to participate in a class action.

So, in essence, by agreeing you waive the right to trial by jury, and the ability to participate in a class action lawsuit, but it does not waive the right to sue at all. This is in effect no different from what Valve just added, so your stance is not misrepresented at all, as long as your stance is, "EA bad, Valve good."

60. Re: Steam Precludes Class Action Lawsuits Aug 1, 2012, 00:09 eunichron

Sepharo wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 23:18:
eunichron wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 23:12:
Icewind wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 22:26:
eunichron wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 21:40:
Gonna grab my popcorn while the Valve/Gaben fanatics (they're not even fanboys at this point, they truly are fanatics) try to spin this into a positive.

Gonna grab my popcorn while the I-Hate-Anything-Not-In-Retail-Box / I-Have-Unrealistic-Expectations-because-I'm-an-Entitled-gamer fanatics (They're not even fanboys at this point, they truly are fanatics) try to make this seem like Valve is every bit as dirty as EA.

What's wrong with retail boxes?

Nothing. What's wrong with digital releases?

Nothing. I love digital releases.

29. Re: Steam Precludes Class Action Lawsuits Jul 31, 2012, 23:12 eunichron

Icewind wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 22:26:
eunichron wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 21:40:
Gonna grab my popcorn while the Valve/Gaben fanatics (they're not even fanboys at this point, they truly are fanatics) try to spin this into a positive.

Gonna grab my popcorn while the I-Hate-Anything-Not-In-Retail-Box / I-Have-Unrealistic-Expectations-because-I'm-an-Entitled-gamer fanatics (They're not even fanboys at this point, they truly are fanatics) try to make this seem like Valve is every bit as dirty as EA.

What's wrong with retail boxes?

2. Re: Steam Precludes Class Action Lawsuits Jul 31, 2012, 21:40 eunichron

News Comments > The Old Republic F2P This Fall
39. Re: The Old Republic F2P This Fall Jul 31, 2012, 19:14 eunichron

ASeven wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 18:38:
Confirmed, they hung up (or rather they took it offline) on GS. Wow. Fuck me.

http://www.twitch.tv/servot/b/326938076 46:20 in.

Wow. GS implying EA of financial fraud or, at the very least, number coloring on the report. This is going to end well.

Holy fuck. This is big for those of us working in the financial world.

Well, if anyone knows financial fraud, it's Goldman Sachs.

News Comments > The Old Republic F2P This Fall
1. Re: The Old Republic F2P This Fall Jul 31, 2012, 16:59 eunichron

Whoa, whoa... what is with that shade of yellow?  

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Beta Imminent
24. Re: PlanetSide 2 Beta Imminent Jul 31, 2012, 16:35 eunichron

Cutter wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 16:10:
I can't believe how many of you fuckers are in the technical test atm. You realize of course I'm going to shoot you all in the face once I'm in.

No one is in it at the moment, it shut down last week until beta starts.

But once beta begins, bring it on.

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Beta Imminent
19. Re: PlanetSide 2 Beta Imminent Jul 31, 2012, 15:06 eunichron

Verno wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 15:00:
Right now there is just a technical test, then they will do a very early beta in several waves then slowly ramp that up. They've been pretty transparent about the whole process and have warned people that the netcode is extremely alpha and many things are still changing daily.

Yeah, that test could hardly be called beta. There were some builds that were barely playable, and it was more focus testing than general testing.

It was still a ton of fun though.

News Comments > GNU Guru: Linux Steam "Unethical"
41. Re: GNU Guru: Linux Steam Jul 31, 2012, 14:30 eunichron

Bhruic wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 14:13:
Beamer wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 13:51:
Nice to see I wasn't the only one that goofed on his terminology. "Non-free" means "the users have the freedom to run, copy, distribute, study, change and improve the software. With these freedoms, the users (both individually and collectively) control the program and what it does for them."

It has nothing to do with price.

I don't understand how so many people are confusing "freedom" and "free". There's a reason he continually uses the word "freedom" in there, and that's because you can't (or shouldn't be able to) confuse "freedom" with pricing.

Look at it this way - all of the words in a book are publicly available. There's nothing "hidden" behind the scenes. Books are, effectively, open-source. And yet people still make money selling them.

Being open-source doesn't mean you have to give it away. Being open-source doesn't mean you give up your copyright (although there are licensing agreements that do, which you aren't obliged to use). All of this talk about people not being able to make money is nonsense.

Stallman's "Free as in Freedom" mantra naturally implies "Free as in Cost". If the source code and assets for a game are available publicly (as is required to be considered open source, and "free as in freedom"), who the hell is going to pay for it? No one. Why would I go to the original developer and purchase it for $5 when I can go to sourceforge and download the free game that someone else compiled for free.

I can respect Stallman and his philosophy, it sounds neat and all, but it's not practical, unless as a gamer all you want to play are pixelart JRPGs and Q3 clones. Then it might be fantastic.

News Comments > GNU Guru: Linux Steam "Unethical"
35. Re: GNU Guru: Linux Steam Jul 31, 2012, 14:04 eunichron

Shut the fuck up, Stallman.  

1789 Comments. 90 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo