Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Frans

Real Name Frans   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Xymph
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com/
Signed On Aug 22, 2002, 01:01
Total Comments 377 (Amateur)
User ID 13939

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Oscar Mar 10, 2010, 16:15  Xymph 

The Advocate wrote on Mar 10, 2010, 16:13:
Hey Blue, what are the little red asterisks under the post #s f or?
A new feature. Nice

-- Frans
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

General Discussion > (Un)Read topics
1. (Un)Read topics Mar 10, 2010, 16:14  Xymph 

I've rolled out a new forums feature: accurate marking of which threads and comments are read/unread.

The old mechanism by Bagpuss used cookies to track which threads you read, but that didn't allow for tracking new posts to existing threads, and was generally limited anyway due the maximum size of a cookie's value.

The new system is active for anyone who ticks the 'Remember Me' box upon making a new post, ie. with the board login/password cookie (bearkey-pw in your cookies list). This corresponds with your user ID and new tables in the database now store your last visit to each thread, and the last time you used the new Mark All Read button.

Threads are shown in the Topics listing with a red star when you've never visited (or marked) it, and when there are one or more new posts since your last visit. Individual comments in a thread are similarly shown with a red star when they're new.

Boards in the Forums index are shown with a red star when any thread has a new post since the last time that you visited any thread (or marked all topics read), but it won't be able to remember that you didn't read any older threads yet.

If your board cookie isn't set, the system falls back onto the old cookie-based mechanism.

I hope this (further) increases your enjoyment of using the Blue's News forums. Nice

-- Frans

5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2010, 10:37  Xymph 

InBlack wrote on Mar 5, 2010, 09:52:
Im seeing HUGE HEADLINES to all the posts/articles for some reason.
That was just a tweak to the <H1> etc tags and the style sheets. A hard-refresh (hold shift, click the Reload button -- only in decent browsers) fixes that without restarting the whole browser.

-- Frans

12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2010, 16:50  Xymph 

MTechnik wrote on Feb 27, 2010, 15:42:
Maybe I missed it before,
Probably, since it's been there since the last layout overhaul, which I think happened in 2003. Shocked

MTechnik wrote on Feb 27, 2010, 15:42:
but the news forum link at the top of the page is awesome. Thanks!
You're welcome.

-- Frans

4. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 26, 2010, 12:24  Xymph 

nin wrote on Feb 26, 2010, 11:15:
I just scrolled down the page and was like "WTF is THAT?"
Your memory is rather poor if you're that surprised.
The really interesting thing is how the window in the BlueTower (and I've been there so I know there's only one, as we don't want Blue to get tempted into staring idly out of more than one ) changes shape over the years.

Outtahere

-- Frans

News Comments > Free Red Alert; Red Alert 3 Q&A and Movie
24. Re: Free Red Alert; Red Alert 3 Q&A and Movie Feb 13, 2010, 13:56  Xymph 

Ant wrote on Feb 13, 2010, 13:50:
Does anyone know where to get free RA1? The links are outdated.
A quick google/browse leads to http://www.fileshack.com/browse.x/4781

Edit: and the original links on EA's servers: http://compactiongames.about.com/od/freegames/p/ccredalert_free.htm

This comment was edited on Feb 13, 2010, 14:12.

-- Frans

13. Re: Toy Story 3 - Movie Trailer Feb 12, 2010, 17:20  Xymph 

PHJF wrote on Feb 12, 2010, 11:52:
Hey blue (frans?), how about adding a timer to the "edit comment" function so "this post was edited..." does not appear when editing a post made less than, say, 10 minutes ago?
That's what this thread is for. But yeah, that should be doable.

Edit: and it's done, with a five minute window.

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 2010, 17:58.

-- Frans

News Comments > Aliens vs Predator Alien Trailer
15. Re: Aliens vs Predator Alien Trailer Feb 12, 2010, 06:26  Xymph 

Selektaa wrote on Feb 11, 2010, 20:09:
Blue, I'm afraid your age gate is broken. I put in my real, honest to god birthday of 1/1/1900, and it said invalid! I AM 110, I swear!
Your birthday has to be 1/1/1901 or later. I'm afraid you're too old to use this super-inter-highway-web-thingy.

-- Frans

PC Gaming > What long dead gaming websites did visit regularly?
6. Re: What long dead gaming websites did visit regularly? Jan 29, 2010, 14:18  Xymph 

Bronco wrote on Jan 29, 2010, 13:59:
Gone Gold
Was that the site run by the retired/disabled police officer? I enjoyed that one if my memory serves me correctly.
Yes, Rich LaPorte.

-- Frans

PC Gaming > What long dead gaming websites did visit regularly?
4. Re: What long dead gaming websites did visit regularly? Jan 29, 2010, 05:17  Xymph 

PC Games Archives on ftp.uml.edu/ftp.uwp.edu (oh, you said websites... but in its defense, this archive is preserved here )
The PC Release List (before and after folding into Adrenaline Vault)
a 3D game demos page in Sweden in the mid-90's I can't remember the name of
Cyrellis
Gone Gold
Games Domain
UGR.net (Ultimate Gaming Resource)
3D Files (formerly 3DfxMania)
3D Gamers

-- Frans

General Discussion > The lonely place .....
6. No subject Jan 27, 2010, 15:57  Xymph 

Verno wrote on Jan 27, 2010, 14:13:
Most of the discussion takes place in the comments sections already is the problem, you're fighting user habits there.
Yeah, that certainly is a major factor.

Verno wrote on Jan 27, 2010, 14:13:
The BBS system here is a bit quirky and a lot of the BBcode people learned to use with most other forum software doesn't translate over which probably doesn't help either.
Actually, BBcode-style quote and url tags are supported here, and those are the major ones. And for all the style tags there are buttons: highlight the desired text section and click a button to bold/underline/color/etc it. So I can't see how this would be a real hurdle.

-- Frans

General Discussion > Comments for Inidividual Links
2. Re: Comments for Individual Links Jan 27, 2010, 15:52  Xymph 

Elessar wrote on Jan 27, 2010, 12:06:
Some stories/topics on the main page end up having multiple stories within. I think it would be nice to be able to have a comments section for individual items instead of having to mix discussions in the main topic. Maybe have a comments link next to each story link? Not sure how doable this is, just tossing it out there!
I'm afraid that, regardless of whether it's deemed practical, it's technically difficult because of the way a story ID is also the thread ID for the associated news comments. Story IDs are sequential so it would take a real kludge to map each to a variable number of thread IDs, as the same board ID/thread ID pair is also used in the other forums.

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2010, 15:53.

-- Frans

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2010, 12:10  Xymph 

Bronco wrote on Jan 26, 2010, 10:56:
Wasn't there a completely different comment system prior to this one?
Yes, Furn's original message board system was superseded by the current Chatbear-derived system mid-2001.

Actually the data of the old board still lingers around in the database, but it's incompatible with the table structure of the current board, so it can't be merged back in (at least not without a significant amount of work, and that's not worth it).

-- Frans

General Discussion > Compressed HTML
2. Re: Compressed HTML Jan 25, 2010, 08:35  Xymph 

Since this went well, I also enabled compression for the style sheets, saving a few more KB per page request. Let me know if you experience layout/style issues though.  

-- Frans

General Discussion > The lonely place .....
2. Re: The lonely place ..... Jan 22, 2010, 04:11  Xymph 

Kosumo wrote on Jan 22, 2010, 02:04:
Why ???
I'm wondering about that too. Throughout the years there have been various requests for additional forums, and now that they're here almost nobody uses them.

This comment was edited on Jan 22, 2010, 04:30.

-- Frans

General Discussion > The SEO release
1. The SEO release Jan 20, 2010, 06:52  Xymph 

The "SEO release" is now online, representing about a month of work. This code release is aimed at optimizing relevant parts of the site for search engines. Changes include:

• all single-story and article links now have a new format that includes the story/article title as part of the URL

• these URLs are used consistently throughout the site

• external links using the old cgi-bin format are redirected to the new URLs via Apache Rewrite rules

• all single-story and article pages contain a canonical link tag to indicate the preferred URL for the page

• www.bluesnews.com is the canonical domain for the site, and bluesnews.com redirects to that (implemented a little while ago)

• all pages now contain a meta description tag for search engine robots

• on single-story pages our old email input form to share a story, as well as the old Addthis widget, are superseded by the new Addthis Toolbox; this allows for easy submission of the story to 200+ sites and services, and for emailing it to a friend/colleague of course

• the Addthis Toolbox and buttons are customized into the Blue's News color scheme

• the goal is to eventually include the Addthis Toolbox on the frontpage and news archive pages too, once we've worked out the layout kinks

• single-story pages now contain the Related Links widget from Google, showing a short list of links and search queries that are (possibly ) related to the pertaining story

• stories on the frontpage and (bi-)daily news archive pages no longer include the (redundant) date in their headers, just the timestamp; single-story pages still show both

• single-story pages now include a button to go to the corresponding news archive page for that day

• Cheers!

-- Frans

General Discussion > Site suggestions
    43. No subject Jan 12, 2010, 05:06  Xymph 

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jan 11, 2010, 15:38:
    Sorry, just saw it linked to at the bottom of the Popular Threads column and didn't pay attention to the separator. I just meant conventional forums rather than like the comments section; like one of the traditional pre-fab types like vBulletin - something that could be added as a separate entity. These forums just don't really strike me as being like... forums.
    Look at the All Forums link from the masthead menu, that's a pretty traditional list of forums, but as Bucky observed, they're not very active (yet?). Sure they look a bit different from vBulletin, but basic functionality is the same and those big systems just have more bells and whistles.

We prefer these forums to be integrated with the rest of the board system, rather than a completely disjoint off-the-shelf forum system like phpBB et all. There are several reasons for that, an important technical one being that the entire site is built in Perl with Apache/mod_perl geared towards that, and I don't want to throw a PHP-wrench into the works.

So if you have any forum enhancement suggestions that haven't been mentioned earlier before in this thread, let's hear it; but a complete switch to another system is not an option.

-- Frans

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2010, 17:55  Xymph 

Dan =0) wrote on Jan 10, 2010, 13:00:
    Happy belated birthday to Frans - and yes, Stephen Hawking, Elvis, and a personal DJ friend of mine.
    Thanks. And to David Bowie, John "Die Hard" McTiernan and, oohh, a whole bunch of other people I've never met. Cheers

-- Frans

General Discussion > Site suggestions
    40. No subject Jan 10, 2010, 17:42  Xymph 

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jan 10, 2010, 14:49:
    Allowing pictures would be a bad move, at least for the comments section, though if you were to add forums then they'd work well.
    Uhm, these are forums -- can you explain what you mean by "were to add forums"?

-- Frans

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2010, 10:54  Xymph 

strich wrote on Jan 8, 2010, 10:17:
    question or request for the layout of the site.
    That's what this thread is for, btw.

-- Frans

377 Comments. 19 pages. Viewing page 5.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo