Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Frans

Real Name Frans   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Xymph
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com/
Signed On Aug 22, 2002, 01:01
Total Comments 377 (Amateur)
User ID 13939

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

General Discussion > Avatars
17. Re: Frans Mar 22, 2010, 19:02  Xymph 

Ray Marden wrote on Mar 22, 2010, 18:39:
Well, is there any hope/chance/wish/intent/plan to upate the forums?
Not really, plenty of work has been done to them already, and I already explained a complete replacement by another system is out of the question.

Maybe I'm just too much of a dinosaur for my own good, but I find the inability to quickly view threaded discussions, at least without loading the entire page over and over and over , extremely tiresome.

Then again, if "flat" posting is that popular or this is just a site to shout out some random message, let me know.
Common forum systems like phpBB and vBulletin offer only flat views, the default (ascending timestamps) equating Flat (Oldest First) here. Threads view is a bonus here, but not a very practical one indeed, so yeah, maybe you are a dinosaur for using it. And Threads view with full posts is not practical either.

Something like Shacknews or Slashdot threading is way beyond my available time, and perhaps my capabilities too. ISTR Shack's comments were rewritten from scratch several times in the past decade...

P.S. Invalid avatar type: not an actual PJPG image.
You tried just before I made another necessary tweak. Please try again, and sorry about the hassle, I obviously hadn't done my MIME homework.

-- Frans
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Frans Mar 22, 2010, 18:37  Xymph 

Cutter wrote on Mar 22, 2010, 18:26:
Yeah Frans, I've tried to UL a few avatars of the jpg and png variety all at 60x60 and withing 10kb and get the same "No valid avatar uploaded."

However, gifs seem to work. So we're narrowing it down.
Yes, the PNG upload problem Hoop got was due to another MIME type mismatch, image/x-png instead of the standard image/png. I wish all these browsers would do things the same way.

Cutter wrote on Mar 22, 2010, 18:26:
Any chance we can make these a default 64x64 or 96x96 bit instead? A lot of avatar sites will resize them to that automatically. And the avatars are almost so tiny as to be useless at this point.
We tried 80x80 during testing and it looked visually intrusive in relation to the overall message layout, so 96x96 would be worse. But 64x64 we can do -- upload script adjusted. Thanks for the tip.

-- Frans

14. Re: Frans Mar 22, 2010, 18:31  Xymph 

Ray Marden wrote on Mar 22, 2010, 18:15:
Are you sure it is actually accepting JPEGs?
It accepts MIME type image/jpeg. It turns out your upload attempt uses MIME type image/pjpeg, which I wasn't aware of. Added now, so feel free to replace the gif with a jpg.

Ray Marden wrote on Mar 22, 2010, 18:15:
Still waiting on [...] a forum update,
Huh? There have been several major updates to the forums in the past two months.

-- Frans

9. Re: Frans Mar 22, 2010, 18:07  Xymph 

Hoop wrote on Mar 22, 2010, 16:00:
Remote SMTP server has rejected address.
Oh I forgot, my old mail address was not recreated when Blue moved to another mail service.

Anyway, got your mail forwarded from Blue. The image looks fine, I tried uploading it and it got accepted, so I don't know why it didn't work for you. Can you try again?

-- Frans

7. Re: Frans Mar 22, 2010, 15:37  Xymph 

Hoop wrote on Mar 22, 2010, 15:25:
wont allow me to upload "no valid avatar uploaded"....60x60 png
Are you sure it's a PNG file, and not a JPG or GIF with the wrong extension? This is checked strictly upon uploading.
If so, can you make it available to me (e.g. mail to fpv {at} bluesnews {dot} com) so I can inspect it?

-- Frans

5. Re: Avatars Mar 22, 2010, 12:16  Xymph 

Ant wrote on Mar 22, 2010, 11:56:
I do not want to keep my cookies to remember my account datas.
Well, that's your prerogative, but without them the server has no other way of knowing who you are, so you'll have to accept some reduced functionality, and the email/password in your URLs when you access your User Settings.

I don't know if there's a way around that, but these are the only two mechanisms designed for the user accounts by Furn long ago. Two mechanisms seems quite enough to me.

-- Frans

3. Re: Avatars Mar 22, 2010, 11:47  Xymph 

Ant wrote on Mar 22, 2010, 10:44:
Modifying user settings seems buggy and bad:
Nope, just a consequence of your settings.

1. It shows e-mail address and password in URL!
Yeah, this is normal since you chose to disable the login cookie, so the email/password has to be transferred between server and your browser some other way.

To fix this, go to the Modify User Details entry in your User Settings, and change the last setting Use Cookie into Yes.

2. Saving my settings, WITHOUT saving my valid e-mail address, showed "You must enter a valid e-mail address (SMTP response not understood 4: 450). Please press your browser's Back button and correct this."
I'm not sure what you're describing there or in which situation it happened, but enable the cookie and it shouldn't happen anymore.

-- Frans

1. Avatars Mar 22, 2010, 05:28  Xymph 

No, not the James Cameron variety... forum avatars. Grin

A new feature has been rolled out to the forums, as you can see with this post, for users can now upload an avatar image to be displayed with all their posts.

To upload, go to your User Settings and pick the Manage Avatar entry. Select a file on your computer (that meets the technical requirements listed) and add it. If you already have an avatar uploaded, the same page allows you to replace or delete it.

Avatars will only be shown in the forums after approval by Blue, in order to weed out potential offensive submissions. Approval may happen several times a day, but the news has priority so please be patient if it takes a while. Rejected avatars are simply removed from the system, so you can upload a more appropriate one.

If you don't like to meet any avatars on your forum adventures, go into Modify Message Board Settings and disable them. For this to be respected you need to have checked the Remember Me box on a recently posted comment.

Have fun, and do this feature justice with some cool avatars! Allthumbsup

-- Frans

General Discussion > Current headlines on single story pages
1. Current headlines on single story pages Mar 17, 2010, 05:23  Xymph 

Another new feature has been rolled out: on any single story page, even really old ones , there is now a list of the 20 most recent headlines with links to their respective single story pages.

This aims to entice people coming from elsewhere via a referenced story to look around this site for more (current) gaming news.

-- Frans

General Discussion > User ignore feature
14. Re: User ignore feature Mar 16, 2010, 14:34  Xymph 

Xymph wrote on Mar 16, 2010, 14:21:
Does it include this line?

<font size="2" face="Arial"><a href="board.pl?action=ignore&user=3937" target="_self">Ignore this user</a></font>

That same URL shows me the "Ignore this user" link below the search form in Firefox.

Edit: that's FF 2.0 and 3.5, but not 3.0. I'm also missing the link in other browsers. Looking into it...
Doh, in the other browsers I wasn't logged in.

Okay, the Ignore link is only shown if you have checked the Remember Me box when submitting a post -- this sets the bearkey-pw cookie with your email/pwd, and that is necessary to use the Ignore feature, otherwise it doesn't know who you are and wouldn't be able to store an ignored user entry for your account.

The catch is that there is another cookie called auto-login with the same values, which is used by the User Settings login. This is a historical effect of Furn building the user stuff and Bagpuss the forums. So if you have both cookies defined to your user account, it should work.

-- Frans

12. Re: User ignore feature Mar 16, 2010, 14:21  Xymph 

nin wrote on Mar 16, 2010, 13:32:
Ok, just as an example...
[IMG]http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/9530/exampleo.th.jpg[/IMG]
Not sure why you're putting in those dummy IMG tags.

nin wrote on Mar 16, 2010, 13:32:
Am I losing my mind here?
Maybe, but your browser certainly is... take a look in that page's source code. Does it include this line?

<font size="2" face="Arial"><a href="board.pl?action=ignore&user=3937" target="_self">Ignore this user</a></font>

That same URL shows me the "Ignore this user" link below the search form in Firefox.

Edit: that's FF 2.0 and 3.5, but not 3.0. I'm also missing the link in other browsers. Looking into it...

This comment was edited on Mar 16, 2010, 14:27.

-- Frans

10. Re: User ignore feature Mar 16, 2010, 13:21  Xymph 

nin wrote on Mar 16, 2010, 13:16:
I dunno... on what page are you looking for it, exactly?
On the users profile page? I must be missing something...
That's still not very exact -- if you're looking on your own User Info page, it is indeed not present as noted in my first post. On other profile pages the link stands out pretty well below the search form.

A few people have already entered ignores, so it definitely works.

-- Frans

7. Re: User ignore feature Mar 16, 2010, 12:27  Xymph 

Note: I needed to make a small tweak to the database table holding the ignores, but the few entries that may have been in there were wiped (sorry, forgot to check). So feel free to re-apply them.

Edit: Yes Verno, that's the thing I had to fix.

-- Frans

4. Re: User ignore feature Mar 16, 2010, 12:02  Xymph 

nin wrote on Mar 16, 2010, 11:48:
I'm not seeing the link under FF or IE, even searching for "ignore". What am I missing?
I dunno... on what page are you looking for it, exactly?

-- Frans

1. User ignore feature Mar 16, 2010, 06:28  Xymph 

The oft-requested user ignore feature is now live.
You can ignore users by going to their User Info page (via their hyperlinked username) and using the "Ignore this user" link. On the User Info page of already ignored users, this becomes "Unignore this user" so you also revert your verdict.

Edit: Note that for this to work, you need to have the bearkey-pw cookie defined by checking the Remember Me box when submitting a comment.

Posts from ignored users are replaced by a standard "Ignored" subject and a reminder message that you can still view the original message by checking the comment history on the pertaining User Info page. The Reply/Edit/etc buttons are also disabled, and no signature is shown. Only comments in the Flat views are replaced this way -- in Threads view it makes little sense to ignore an individual post when you're browsing posts one by one.

You cannot ignore yourself or any moderators. Finally, in your own User Settings menu there's a new entry "Manage Ignored Users" allowing you to review your entire list of ignored users.

May your ignor-ance prosper.

This comment was edited on Mar 17, 2010, 06:30.

-- Frans

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 14, 2010, 10:10  Xymph 

Xymph wrote on Mar 11, 2010, 17:18:
Ray Marden wrote on Mar 11, 2010, 12:47:
FYI - I am losing my "Thread View" when reading multiple threads under the General Discussion.

I'm not sure what part is causing it, but I can reproduce it by reading any post, clikign on the General Discussion link above the post, and then selecting a new thread with multiple posts. Of course, those boards are dead so it really isn't a huge issue.
Looks like the View setting isn't consistently propagated throughout. You prolly have the same effect in the News forum (with the link in the masthead). I'll see if I can straighten that out.
I tweaked a bunch of links throughout the forums so the View setting is now mostly controlled by the bearkey-view cookie and not overruled by navigation links. That should do it, but let me know if you spot another propagation issue.

-- Frans

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 11, 2010, 17:18  Xymph 

Ray Marden wrote on Mar 11, 2010, 12:47:
FYI - I am losing my "Thread View" when reading multiple threads under the General Discussion.

I'm not sure what part is causing it, but I can reproduce it by reading any post, clikign on the General Discussion link above the post, and then selecting a new thread with multiple posts. Of course, those boards are dead so it really isn't a huge issue.
Looks like the View setting isn't consistently propagated throughout. You prolly have the same effect in the News forum (with the link in the masthead). I'll see if I can straighten that out.

-- Frans

News Comments > Into the Black
12. Re: Into the Black Mar 11, 2010, 14:09  Xymph 

nin wrote on Mar 11, 2010, 11:19:
<Frans adds nin to "ignore" as test>
How do you mean, as test?

Grin

-- Frans

10. Re: Into the Black Mar 11, 2010, 11:04  Xymph 

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 11, 2010, 09:11:
I am not showing the red dots with Firefox, do I have something under Firefox's hood turned off?
If you don't have the bearkey-pw cookie defined, it won't work. See my explanatory post for details.

nin wrote on Mar 11, 2010, 10:06:
How's the ignore function coming?
It is.

-- Frans

6. Re: Into the Black Mar 11, 2010, 03:44  Xymph 

Morgan19 wrote on Mar 10, 2010, 23:27:
Perhaps I missed the announcement, but when did the red dots start showing up in posts?
The same day you noticed them.

-- Frans

377 Comments. 19 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo