Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Frans

Real Name Frans   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Xymph
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com/
Signed On Aug 22, 2002, 01:01
Total Comments 377 (Amateur)
User ID 13939

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

News Comments > World of Warcraft Patched
34. Re: 2.4.3. to v3.0.2? Oct 15, 2008, 04:23  Xymph 

Ant, I love ya man but dude you should know better than post a crazy long URL. Check out www.tinyurl.com.
Or simply use the new [url=][/url] tags. Grin2

-- Frans
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
27. Re: CONGRATULATIONS! Oct 14, 2008, 18:50  Xymph 

Btw, I also fixed the smiley parsing (by requiring spaces around them) so that the long link in post #5 isn't botched anymore, along with a few other formatting glitches.  

-- Frans

News Comments > LEGO Batman Demo - Updated: Corrupted
6. Re: Tried it on an old test box at work. Oct 14, 2008, 18:39  Xymph 

Someone screwed up with the upload and didn't test the download and install!
Yeah, no surprise there. I always got the feeling I was the only one doing that before posting demos, back on 3D Gamers. Oh well...

-- Frans

25. Re: CONGRATULATIONS! Oct 14, 2008, 15:49  Xymph 

Test a really long link

Okay, that seems to work now. The link inside the [url=] tag can be embedded in double quotes (like vBulletin does it), but that's not required (like phpBB).

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2008, 16:02.

-- Frans

12. Re: CONGRATULATIONS! Oct 13, 2008, 14:35  Xymph 

(Uh, and something goes nuts when I paste that URL in here.. The stuff in front of http:// isn't there when I edit the message)
That's a side effect of '& P' in the URL being escaped into '& amp; P', and '; P' then botching up the hyperlinking (the first time), and being converted to a smiley (the second).

Now there's a feature we need. One that let's you create a link to a web page without having having the entire URL there to blow up the forum width.
Yeah, I'll see what I can do.

-- Frans

23. Re: Thank you Frans. Oct 13, 2008, 12:12  Xymph 

BTW I think adding more smilies is a bad idea...
Blue and I thought it wasn't that bad, the original nine just didn't offer enough different expressions. So more choice doesn't hurt in and of itself, as it's not the number of different options people have, but how they use them.

Also, I made sure to collect mostly small icons that don't cause too much image bloat (like many huge animated smilies do). Finally, there is (and has been for a long time) a limit of at most 10 smiley tags that are converted to images -- the remainder are left as is. So far I haven't seen a lot of smiley abuse, but if it does become a recurring problem we'll likely lower that conversion limit even more.

-- Frans

12. Smiley Powaah Oct 11, 2008, 17:13  Xymph 

Cheers  

-- Frans

27. Re: Preview Oct 11, 2008, 17:11  Xymph 

Blue/Frans: When you hit Preview Message, the subject resets back to null. Probably a simple bug, just need to carry the subject.
Good catch, I only tested that in the Edit script, not the main forums one. Fixed now.

-- Frans

53. Re: Happy 12th Birthday Oct 11, 2008, 16:06  Xymph 

Oh and Frans, the "Preview Message" feature is great.
Glad to hear that.

I remember the days when this site was primaty a Quake news site. What was it called again?
Blue's Quake Rag.

-- Frans

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Awesome Oct 11, 2008, 15:45  Xymph 

If Frans is still checking the board, I think there should be an option/checkbox somewhere on the page, to keep that as the logo permanently, client-side.
I am, occasionally, and only the OotB/ItB threads. But why stick to one logo when weekly rotation has finally been re-established? That sounds a little boring, notwithstanding the coolness of this one.

This comment was edited on Oct 11, 2008, 15:46.

-- Frans

38. Re: No subject Oct 9, 2008, 14:16  Xymph 

Come on! Where have you been all this time?
Not reading these forums, obviously.

-- Frans

28. Re: No subject Oct 9, 2008, 11:21  Xymph 

Maybe a little more. It is barely noticeable.
Tweaked one notch.
Yeah, but then that gives me problems with other sites if they use text decoration to indicate links but not different colors.
I understand, but I'm not going to forcefully disable all underlines here when so many users (including, not unimportantly, Blue ;)) are accustomed to them for 12 years.

-- Frans

26. Re: No subject Oct 9, 2008, 10:26  Xymph 

Underline text sucks! I vote you remove the underlined from the links. You can have it underline it when you mouse-over it if you wish.
The site doesn't actively enforce underlines on links, it only disables them on the linked story headlines. You can disable them for all links in your browser's options.

I personally don't think the underlines need to be removed from inactive links, but I would like the links to have a separately-colored :hover state. Maybe change them to a slightly darker yellow or something, to help distinguish what link you're over– it would be especially helpful while mousing over the longer lists of links, for example
That is useful indeed, but I made them light up a little whiter instead. Thanks for the tip.

Any other ideas?

-- Frans

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: No subject Oct 9, 2008, 03:21  Xymph 

to post a message after entering a password
And the fix for that is to enable cookies for bluesnews.com, check the Remember Me box on your next post, and never have to enter the password in the first place.

Btw, Blue didn't try out the code tag himself apparently ;), but it's not related to smiley symbols, it just puts the included text in the code font. It's a posting option on Chatbear that was apparently added there after the forums codebase was split off here, so I added it here as well.

-- Frans

18. Re: Giant fonts Oct 3, 2008, 13:02  Xymph 

Yes, the giant date means the style sheet wasn't reloaded after the changes, and shift-Refresh or restarting the browser fixes that.  

-- Frans

22. Re: Articles Link... Oct 2, 2008, 18:05  Xymph 

Geez I must be blind. Is there a permalink to the "Articles" section that I'm missing?
It's called 'Releases / Features' in the menu bar, so I guess that's a confirmation...

The post counts are broken again.
No, the refresh of the static frontpage was just stuck for a few hours due to a server reboot (and my absense for the same time).

This comment was edited on Oct 2, 18:09.

-- Frans

10. Re: Location of share link Oct 2, 2008, 12:32  Xymph 

I wish it was the comment link that was to the right-most. That is, I wish you would change their places because we have all been conditioned to click the right-most link to get to the comments and now we get to the wrong place.
Blue approves, so this is done.

-- Frans

19. Re: Left 4 Dead Oct 1, 2008, 17:32  Xymph 

You could assume that if they click "Share" then they did share it. I mean, after the first week and the newness of the feature wares off, most people that click it will be to actually use it. I would guess anyway.
Unfortunately, page views aren't representative of actual use of the share functions, because each page gets visited by search engine bots more often than by actual users. E.g. a quick http log check shows that half of the hits since the Share links went live came from the Google and Yahoo bots alone, and that's not even counting the myriad of other bots.

This comment was edited on Oct 1, 18:11.

-- Frans

16. Re: Left 4 Dead Oct 1, 2008, 15:55  Xymph 

Idea, if you are going to have the share stuff. Like in the menu-bar on the left it shows popular threads, it would be cool to show popular shares. As well as see how many times a story has been "shared".
That's not a bad idea, but I have no data on how many times the Addthis widget is used, so I could only track the number of share emails sent, which is of limited value.

-- Frans

News Comments > Pure Demo
3. Re: Corrupted Oct 1, 2008, 12:47  Xymph 

including WP
Especially WP... that site never ever checked its files before posting back in my 3D Gamers days. Apparently some people never learn.

-- Frans

377 Comments. 19 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo